Start by marking “Patriots” as Want to Read:
Patriots

Patriots

America's first black president has just lost re-election. A new leader tries to pull the country out of a terrible recession—only to face a devilish plot from inside his own party. David Frum's darkly comic satire PATRIOTS is not only a warning about the future of American politics. It is a scorching, intimate explanation of why the U.S. political system has so badly ...more
Published May 7th 2012 by Shreve Williams (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Patriots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patriots

Columbus Avenue Boys by David CarraturoAbraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-SmithLet's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson1Q84 by Haruki MurakamiWhite Jazz by James Ellroy
Miss Alonzo's Hitlist 2012
22nd out of 87 books — 35 voters
Out of Control by G. Gordon LiddyEsther's Pillow by Marlin FitzwaterThe Power Game by Joseph S. Nye Jr.Mackerel by Moonlight by William F. WeldIn Our Midst by Martha  Johnson
Novels by Politicos
23rd out of 25 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Viviane Crystal
Jul 14, 2012 Viviane Crystal rated it really liked it
Well-known and vague commentators state that the political system in Washington is rotten to the core and needs to be scrapped and reshaped. David Frum, former economic speechwriter for President George W. Bush, has given the reader a look at the inner machinations and nefarious actions of America's most powerful Senators, lobbyists, assistants, radio commentators, bloggers and anyone else therein.

Walter Schotzke, rich playboy son of the famous "mustard" family name, is mandated to employment by
William Ramsay
Aug 15, 2012 William Ramsay rated it it was amazing
This was a much better book than I expected. I read it because it's the first CreateSpace book I've seen reviewed in a major publication (the Economist). CreateSpace is Amazon's self publishing wing.

The book is interesting because I was written by a Republican 'food soldier' who was a writer for George W Bush. The book pretty much lambastes the current political situation in Washington and especially the ultra conservatives who now have so much say in Congress. The book starts out as a farce - a
Kevin
May 14, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it
I was curious about this book because I wondered how someone like Frum would do with fiction. It was a decent story but it's really his way of making fun of how awry the conservative movement has gone (which I agree with). 90 percent of the characters were absolute take-offs on real people and he made sure to use names that gave it away, e.g. Grover Norquist became Elmer (Elmo would have been even more obvious). The book would have been more interesting if it weren't such a transparent, ...more
Peter
David Frum has earned his reputation as the smartest man in America on the Right of the political spectrum through walking the walk and talking the talk. His books on American Politics are well written, decently argued and provocative. And his work in the trenches and in journalism have made him a major player, however you want to slice an issue. This is his first novel and it is a very nicely done political satire of Inside the Beltway Politics, a world Frum has inhabited for 2 decades. He ...more
Will
Sep 05, 2014 Will rated it it was ok
Recommended to Will by: 132
I got this from a list of "21 Conservative Writers to Read at the Beach". Open-Minded Liberals who had not read it promptly began posting vituperation of "Fascist!" online.

They obviously had not bothered to read it first. This novel follows semi-naive mustard heir Walter Schotzke in an alternate (but not that alternate) US, amid scathing caricatures of Cato, "Patriot News Network", "Constitutional Review" and .

No doubt many will find it refreshingly realistic about What Goes On In Washington
John Christensen
Jun 09, 2012 John Christensen rated it liked it
This is an interesting bit of political satire, assuming you are on the right side of the aisle. The main character is a sort of lovable lower, finding himself getting deeper and deeper into dark political dealings. The setting is a sort of America of the future, wherein the author basically files the serial numbers off of current events. And interesting read, certainly, though quite clearly with its own political agenda. Worst of all, this book's editing was truly atrocious, to the point where ...more
Michael
Jun 07, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Patriots is a first novel by a pundit, and it shows. At its best it provides a funny, bitter look at the depredations of "movement" conservatism, a scene Frum knows well from personal experience. At its worst it's rather preachy and wooden, with many characters clearly written as stand-ins for real life analogues of Glenn Beck, Grover Norquist, etc. As a novel it only half succeeds; as a satire of the current GOP it's a little better.
Christopher Myrick
Splendid and fun satire with inside-the-Beltway perspective. The sharpest barbs are directed at Frum's (former) comrades-at-arms in the "Constitutionalist" party and the "Patriot News," though not without heavy cynicism for the opposing "Nationalist" partisans. A delightful and hilarious read. Were it not fiction, it would be depressing. And were the characters not pastiche composites, it would be libelous.
James
May 14, 2012 James rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. There were some spelling and gramatical errors throughout but it didn't detract at all from the story.
Yes this book is fictionalized, but it's quite clear that David Frum based most of the characters on easily identifiable political players. Politics are a nasty game; one that I love reading about and a game I never want to play.
Erin Ann McBride
May 31, 2012 Erin Ann McBride rated it it was amazing
Original, smart, and obviously written by someone who actually understands "Washington," and has lived in real DC. Someone with a political background will enjoy this book, and won't groan over obvious oversights in the governmental and political process.
This is a very fun, intriguing, and enjoyable read!
Jason Stanford
May 05, 2012 Jason Stanford rated it liked it
I'd like to read more political fiction from David Frum for two reasons: 1) He sees politics clearly and makes cogent, insightful observations and 2) I think he might become better at writing fiction.
Jeff
Dec 22, 2012 Jeff rated it did not like it
Dismal book with terrible editing. Whole sentences left out and many words mispelled. Gives a little bit of insight into the current political process but there are much more artful books out there.
Hailey
May 31, 2012 Hailey rated it liked it
Though not without its flaws, this book creates a picture of the kinds of shady deals being made in the darkened cloakrooms and corners of Washington DC.
Barbara
read the first few chapters as part of an online tease, and loved them so much I--well, I didn't actually buy the book because I'm cheap, but I asked for it for Mother's Day, and my DD stood up, TY!
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Troy
Troy rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2015
William Bartlett
William Bartlett rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Loren DeHaan
Loren DeHaan rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Jackie Mishler
Jackie Mishler rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Jon Kiess
Jon Kiess rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Judi
Judi rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Olli Kotiranta
Olli Kotiranta rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Chuck Podolak
Chuck Podolak rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2012
Don Jones
Don Jones rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2013
Maxwell
Maxwell rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Mike F
Mike F rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
  • Richard John Neuhaus: A Life in the Public Square
  • The Same Man: George Orwell and Evelyn Waugh in Love and War
  • The Party Decides: Presidential Nominations Before and After Reform
  • The President of Vice: The Autobiography of Joe Biden
  • Predisposed: Liberals, Conservatives, and the Biology of Political Differences
  • Complicity: How the North Promoted, Prolonged, and Profited from Slavery
  • Triumph Forsaken: The Vietnam War, 1954-1965
  • Here's the Deal
  • The Broken Vase
  • A Very British Coup
  • Strictly G.I.: The WWII Letters of Cpl.Wanda M. Renn
  • The King of Pain: A Novel With Stories
David J. Frum is a Canadian American journalist active in both the United States and Canadian political arenas. A former economic speechwriter for President George W. Bush, he is also the author of the first "insider" book about the Bush presidency. His editorial columns have appeared in a variety of Canadian and American magazines and newspapers, including the National Post and The Week. He is al ...more
More about David Frum...