Start by marking “My Life on a Plate” as Want to Read:
My Life on a Plate

My Life on a Plate

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  713 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Optioned for film and published in sixteen countries, this British sensation explodes the myth that all people need to be truly happy is love and marriage. Meet thirty-three-year-old Clara Hutt: irreverent, sometimes unkind, always self-deprecating. Clara is a part-time magazine writer with a perpetually mysterious husband and two small boys, and some days she wakes up wit ...more
Published August 23rd 2001 by Mariner Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about My Life on a Plate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life on a Plate

Kate
See my full review here: http://booksaremyfavouriteandbest.wor...

I needed something very light to read. Very, very light. A de-stressor if you will. And India Knight was up to the task with My Life on a Plate. It’s pure chick-lit fluff so if you really don’t like chick-lit, turn away now.

It’s the story of Clare Hutt (known to herself as Jabba the), who has put her single days very much behind her, has ‘Got Her Man’, had two kids and is enjoying life as a Smug Married (to borrow a phrase from Bri
Lucy
Odious, privileged, upper-middle class woman alternates between whinging about her lot (successful husband, two children, nice big house, cushy part-time job as a magazine writer… woe is her, apparently) and utter smugness when comparing herself to other people. And the character is written so that she comes across as about 15-20 years older than she is actually meant to be. Pre-menopausal hot flushes at 33? I don’t think so.

In addition to the crap story, the text is peppered with the use (more
Dani
I had to stop listening to it... I just can't get into it.
Lyn
Jun 12, 2011 Lyn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: A numpty
Recommended to Lyn by: Hay on wye
What a terrible waste of a tree
Karissa
Books like this tend to make me sad, comparing this persons marriage to my own. It makes me wonder how these two people got together since their differences are so vast. Then I get upset when I hear the cute banter between the two. But then you get to the end of the book and are like WTF?

Clara has managed to snag a great husband, a great house, two great children, and a great job that she can work part time at. But she wakes up one morning feeling that something isn't quite right. One thing is
Maria
Elämäni tarjottimella on silkkaa chick littiä, ja pitkästä aikaa oikeasti hupaisaa sellaista. Onkin vähän harmi, että kirjan huolimaton viimeistely löi pienen varjon vetävän tarinan ja sinänsä ansiokkaan suomennoksen ylle. Eikä lukemani versio edes ollut ensipainos, vaan pokkariversio. Nyt nyt, Like, mites olisi oikoluku? Enkä edes puhu niistä lukuisista tekstiin jääneistä lyöntivirheistä. Mutta kun heti ensimmäisellä sivulla sekoitettiin "vaan" ja "vain" ja sivulla 120 silmiin hyppäsi yksi suos ...more
bookczuk
Parts of this book I found entirely amusing. Other parts I found entirely alien. Characters occasionally rang true, but more often clanged in a cardboardy kind of way for me. I found myself not particularly caring what happened to anyone, except the two little boys. The grownups were all entirely too self centered. (And while the bit about the nits was funny, what the hell did she do with him in that interview to have the lice transfer themselves across the table from her head to his?) It was a ...more
Chezon
After 5 chapters, I can't bear the thought of finishing this book. The main character dislikes her husband, her children and herself. It was 5 chapters long of Self loathing. And I'm not invested enough in her to care. I don't accept this type of Self sabotage from my friends so I'm definitely not going to sit through this entire book. I have better things to do and read.
I read the author's diet book, so figured I should check out her fiction. If you like chick-lit, it's not bad. The storyline isn't totally predictable, and the characters are very funny. The heroine is likeable. I think the main problem I had (other than not really liking the genre) was that her marriage didn't seem believable. Their meeting is briefly explained (they were young, she was better kept and better dressed), but I couldn't really fathom that these two people had been married for so l ...more
Sariah
This was a quick read, kind of fun, chick-lit. It took me awhile to actually LIKE the main character, Clara. I thought I'd have a lot in common with her at first: she's 32, a stay at home mom, has two boys who are always "murdering" each other, she feels frumpy and fat and unattractive, and she's kind of bored with her life. I totally get that. But the way she talks to people and reacts to situations (especially the whole... I just didn't connect with her. Once her friends came to her, in troubl ...more
Kate Millin
Chick lit which I found a little depressing it was so self centred about Clara as she debates the changes children make to married (soon not to be) life.
Juliette Williams
Apr 23, 2009 Juliette Williams rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Ab Fab
This was a fun 'commuting' audiobook. You'll most likely enjoy it if you are a big fan of Absolutely Fabulous. You'll probably like it if you enjoy British humour (a lot of it self-deprecating). The way she sneaks things in (Doctor Who references, sneaking makeup from Boots, i.e.)had me giggling in the car. It is very silly, and the reader is a joy (she does make you feel as though you're a confidante). The parts interacting between Clara and her boys were especially funny (to me), and I'm not a ...more
CatarinaG
É um livro hilariante e comovente sobre as venturas e desventuras duma mulher casada.
Clara Hutt é uma mulher na casa dos trinta, tem uma linda casa, dois filhos adoráveis que só a irritam 90 por cento do tempo, um marido atraente mas cada vez mais misterioso, uma família enorme e excêntrica, um part-time numa resvista, alguns amigos, um exuberante par de sapatos Manolo... e, como ela própria diz, tem os seus dias de boazona bem atrás das costas, tal como a celulite!
Também tem dias em que acorda
Danielle
A brilliant book, extremely funny and very well written, I couldn't put this book down until I'd finished it and my only complaint would be that I finished it too soon and I would have liked it to be twice as long. India Knight has such an "adulty", unique way of putting things, she's very observant about everyday life and isn't afraid to talk about things that most people are too scared to even think about. Very down to earth and it was great that she addressed problems like being on the podgy ...more
Meredith
Oct 29, 2014 Meredith added it
Shelves: audio
I remember listening to this years ago and thinking it was very funny.
Mairead
My book club chose this for our first read, thinking to launch into something light and frothy over a cookie baking party. Boy were we disappointed. The protagonist is rude and petty, making me question why anyone would listen to her, including the reader. She stereotyped and gossiped and fretted away the entire plot, which twisted awkwardly in the very last pages. It may be funny but it isn’t enjoyable. Perhaps this has gained favor as a Bridget Jones knock off but, if that’s the case, it doesn ...more
Gina Boyd
Marriage isn't everything, is it? This book is funny and fun, and even when the story gets sad, neither the author nor the protagonist take things too seriously--both acknowledge that things could always be worse, and that's pretty refreshing. The book shows that love and marriage are of course important, and that they're some of life's Very Big Deals, but it also shows that they aren't the only things that matter to women, and that it's very much okay for that to be the case.

I'm looking forwar
Deborah Good
I was surprised by the ending (not in a good way, but I guess I'm satisfied that it was realistic). I think Robert's character could have been built up more, but perhaps it was built enough to make the point (without spoiling the end).
ara133photography
Love this book! The main character realizes things are not as they should be, and has to try to figure out what she wants in life. Really great characters; very funny wit; one of those books I read years ago and still talk about to this day. I loved the character descriptions and development - Knight made the main character so relatable I feel as though she's one of my good friends. Definitely in my top 3 'chick lit' type books - and though it's not a huge novel, there's quite a bit packed in.
Feral
I kind of enjoyed this book. The protagonist is smart and funny, but, I don't know, a little too straight? No that can't be it - there's some stuff in the beginning with women sniping at other women that I almost didn't make it past, but after a little time, the journey of the character emerges, and it's pretty honest. I find that I need funny books, and this one had enough wit to carry me through the parts I didn't much relate to - fashion and body image and such.
Debra
I'd call this chick lit. Clara Hunt is 33, married for 8 years and the mum (she's British) to 2 beautiful little boys. Her husband makes lots of money and pays for everything. He's handsome and smart and never goes to the loos in front of her. And yet, something's not quite right. Oh, they "potter along" together, but Clara senses something is missing--right up until the day Robert tells her he's leaving her.
Mrs. Engel-Unruh
For a thirty-something woman with a husband and two small children, this book scratched me where I itched. I consumed the book in one day and immediately passed it on to my friends in the same phase of life as I. I've lost track of who has the book now, as it is being passed around from one cul-de-sac to another. The book made me realize that it's okay and normal not to have it all together!
Melanie Winter
I didn't like the book at first, but the more I read, the better I enjoyed the book. The main character isn't likeable and that was a struggle. This was a book club book chosen by Laura PC. Not many had read it because it was hard to get ahold of. But the ones who had read it agreed with me. One person really didn't like it (Laura R). But all kind of compared it to Bridget Jones Diary.
Ross Williams
I could not put this book down. I read it cover to cover on a train journey with tears dripping down my face... it is hysterical. India Knight writes with such vision into everyday life, if you are a “normal” mother – you’ll feel you are looking in a mirror reading this book. A MUST for chic-lit fans, and a hysterical look at modern life for everyone else.
Emmawright
I wanted something fairly trashy to read & this did the job in an 'entertaining quick read' way. As long as you are prepared to put up with the fact that the lead character is shallow, immature, not a very nice person & rather offensive, you'll enjoy it. Despite all that I did enjoy this book as a guilty pleasure & read it very quickly.
Cerys
A bittersweet read, I did wonder how much of Clara was really India, after all they do say that first novels are often largely biographical. I discovered India Knight through Neris & India's Idiot Proof diet but have never read any of her fiction before. I enjoyed this and found myself relating to more than I felt comfortable with.
Heather
Honestly, I had trouble keeping my attention on the story. I found it to be really predictable and longer than necessary... and I despise the ending. I did listen to the audio version, so that may have impacted my reading experience, but compared to other chick lit books, I found this one to be less-than-amusing and dry.
Fanficfan44
I liked this, but I have to say not as much as Comfort and Joy by the same author. This book in order actually occurs before Comfort and Joy. The humor was as good as Comfort and Joy, however the main character was not as likeable in this book. She seemed too immature and self centered.
This was an ultimate snack book. I realized while reading this book that while I find British humor amusing, I am not overly attracted to chick lit anymore. I used to devour it but now I find it lacking in substance. It was the perfect book to read and not have to think - a very quick read!
Britta
"No children would ever be born if one approached the whole subject with any kind of logic."

"He made me a mother and I will always be grateful; he could murder me now and I'd still say thank you for that. But then he took something away from me: his desire; my old self."
  • Perfect Love
  • Sheer Mischief
  • Love and the City: Les gens changent/Changing People; Les confessions de Bambou/The Bamboo Confessions
  • Playing Away
  • How to Cut a Cake: And Other Mathematical Conundrums
  • Tell It to the Skies
  • Mrs Fyttons Country Life
  • A Dangerous Dress
  • A Friend of the Family
  • Non ora, non qui
  • Four Play (Lodes Chronicles, #3)
  • Snowed In: A Novel
  • Spin Cycle
  • In Search of an Impotent Man
  • The Diary of an American Au Pair: A Novel
  • With Love
  • Look Back In Hunger
India Knight is a British journalist. Her novels have been translated into 28 languages.

Knight, a native French speaker, lived in Brussels until about the time she turned nine. After migrating to the United Kingdom, she was educated in London. She was awarded an exhibition to Trinity College, Cambridge, where she read Modern Languages from 1984-1987, before starting her career in journalism.

In add
More about India Knight...
Comfort & Joy Don't You Want Me? The Thrift Book Mutton Neris And India's Idiot Proof Diet: From Pig To Twig