Start by marking “Dont You Want Me” as Want to Read:
Dont You Want Me

Dont You Want Me

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  426 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Sex. There's a lot of it about. But Stella isnt getting her fair share. On the wrong side of 30 and as a single mum who divides her time between London's most PC playgroup and lessons on pulling from her mate, she wonders if she'll have sex again.
Published May 7th 2002 by Penguin UK (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dont You Want Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dont You Want Me

Jane Louis-Wood
This is chick lit, obviously, and I don't normally read chick lit, given that the women who write it sound like they would drone on about relationships and diets and I prefer women who talk about sex and food. It's not as bad as prick lit, though. I would rather gouge out my eyes with a spoon than attempt to read another Nick Hornby novel. His writing lumbers under the misapprehension that self-regarding, immature, mediocrity is the natural state of the modern urban male.

Knight, from what I hav
Lorraine Sears
Feb 06, 2015 Lorraine Sears rated it really liked it
This book was an absolute scream. With multiple laugh out loud moments and a plot, which almost any mother can identify (Happy Bunnies playgroup - say no more) I raced through the pages.

I'm not going to reiterate what you can read on the blurb, but despite a cliche plot and the MCs personal situation coming across as a bit contrived--a young mum with no job, no money worries and the ability to still have a life--this story was very well observed, hysterically written and totally engaging.

What sh
Sarah Goodwin
Dec 08, 2012 Sarah Goodwin rated it it was amazing
As I've written quite a few reviews about chick-lit books that I found less than satisfying, I thought I'd dig about and find one that I genuinely enjoyed.

I first found this book because it had been left behind in a holiday home, not a promising start, but I was pleasantly surprised. I wanted something funny, intended for women, and with an ending that wouldn't leave me apoplectic and unfulfilled.

This delivered all of those things.

The main character is refreshingly moody and highly strung, a cha
Sam
Jan 10, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it
A entertaining, light read and deeply funny. Some great observations throughout and even though you can figure the plot out half way through, it's still satisfying. If you want a break from deep literary stuff and a bit f romantic escapism, I'd recommend this. Don't expect it to tax you however, and don't expect anything deeper than a set of accurate and amusing snapshots of Stella's genuinely portrayed life.
Jane
Jun 26, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
To be honest, I was starting to get a bit fed up with chick lit because it can be very hit and miss. You get some really good books in this genre and some (pardon me) dross or at least passable but doesn't hit all the spots! This one is up there in the pretty good section. Very funny, has all the ingredients to earn being amongst this genre. Humour, plenty of it, a nice fella who is not only good looking (and ginger) but caring with a GSOH - pretty much what we look for in our ideal bloke. Downs ...more
Leticia
Jan 24, 2015 Leticia rated it liked it
It is well written and the characters are interesting and peculiar enough for us to overlook the one or two obvious developments. The only thing that seemed a bit off for me was Stella, all intellectual and judgmental and opinionated, living solely off alimony. But again, it was not non fiction - it is still chick lit, and within the genre, it wins more often than not.
Ophelia
Apr 29, 2015 Ophelia rated it really liked it
Predictable plot line but the real fun is in the descriptions and characterization. Lightweight but a fun, easy read with very relatable heroine and lovely hero!
Tifnie
Feb 08, 2010 Tifnie rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: chick-lit
I choose this book because I needed something to read that required zero thought, zero contemplation, and zero effort.

Perhaps I should give this book 2 stars since it delivered just that...zero.

Don't You Want Me? is about a late 30ish single mother who hasn't dated in years nor had sex. Estelle is looking to get back in the game of dating and inlists her flat-mate, Frank, to help her out. You can probably guess everything else.

The cover of this book read; "Miles funnier and ruder than anything
Danielle
Mar 24, 2013 Danielle rated it did not like it
The plot and the characters are so unbelievably transparent especially the main character, who seems to drift through life feeling sorry for herself despite her HUGE Primrose Hill house, a daughter (another thin character that seems merely to be an accessory), childminders whenever she wants them and money for doing nothing much.
I haven't quite finished this book but I have a strong suspicion that the ending will involve her lodger.

If any other author had written this I might have given it two s
Vanessa
Jun 23, 2014 Vanessa rated it really liked it
It took me to about half way through to get into this book, but am so glad I persevered, I loved it :-)
Liz Letcher
Mar 12, 2016 Liz Letcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, dirty and entertaining. Girl's angst
Beautiful_Jade
Mar 09, 2016 Beautiful_Jade rated it liked it
An amusing read, let down by the abrupt ending.
Anna
Jan 11, 2011 Anna rated it liked it
Tā kā saņemu kā Z-svētku dāvanu, bija jāizlasa.
Māsīca uzdāvināja. Pēc izlasīšānas domāju, ka laikam viņa uztraucas par manu seksuālo dzīvo. (chuckle) Jo grāmata bija ap un par seksu. Galvenais, ka varonei ir 38 gadi, es īsti nespēju tik tālu aizdomāties, lai iejustos viņas ādā. Lai gan grāamta man tīri labi patikās. Viegla lasāmviela ar diezgan banāliem jokiem, bet man bija jautri. Beigas gan bija skaidras jau no pirmajām izlasītajām lapaspusēm. :P
Valeriane
Mar 03, 2016 Valeriane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010_add, read_2005
Stella, mère célibataire de 38 ans vit avec Honey, sa fille et Frank son colocataire.
Dans un style léger, l'histoire nous entraîne dans les méandres de la vie affective et sociale de Stella. Vous ne manquerez pas de sourire au fil des pages. Mon coup de coeur va à la crèche où Stella et Honey font de nouvelles rencontres...
Ecriture humoristique qui ne manquera pas de vous délasser après une journée de boulot intense!

Ma note : 4 étoiles
Ffiamma
May 28, 2013 Ffiamma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donne, uk
comincia benissimo: è allegro, spumeggiante e pieno di battute divertenti. poi - prevedibilmente - si appiattisce, diventa banale e un po' melenso. peccato.
Natalie Owen
Oct 22, 2012 Natalie Owen rated it liked it
Pleasant, enjoyable enough chick lit. I always enjoy reading India Knight books, even if there's not a massive substance to them, they're enjoyable reads.
Chiaralletti
Sì, vabbè...nel suo genere eh!
Tra l'altro il finale è scontato tipo dalle prime 3 pagine o giù di lì...però è divertente!
Alix Nichols
Aug 04, 2014 Alix Nichols rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Not as good as "My Life on a Plate", but had a couple of absolutely hilarious scenes.
Lisa
Sep 13, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jade
Recommended to Lisa by: Mum
Shelves: 2008
Funny and easy to read (took me less than a day!), perfect for lunch breaks and bus stops.
Elena Pereira
Oct 21, 2013 Elena Pereira rated it liked it
Quick easy funny read. Very predictable ending not entirely dissimilar to Bridget Jones.
Rosalind
Sep 16, 2013 Rosalind rated it really liked it
Somewhat predictable but actually made me laugh out loud several times.
Lindsay
Mar 30, 2009 Lindsay rated it really liked it
A great quick read, reminds me of traveling London... I love how she thinks.
Laura Bowes
May 16, 2012 Laura Bowes rated it liked it
An ok read, not my all time favourite, quite a quick and basic story line.
Carla
Aug 06, 2011 Carla rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
A very easy read. Quite predicable but nevertheless entertaining.
Sephie
Oct 04, 2009 Sephie rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
I don't think I finished this - I got bored with it.
Novita Sari
Claire
Claire added it
May 23, 2016
Miki Jacobs
Miki Jacobs marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Dr Anne Hicks
Dr Anne Hicks rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
  • Change de camp (Joséphine, #3)
  • The Fat Rules
  • J'aurais adoré être ethnologue
  • Uncle Fred: An Omnibus
  • Montréal (Magasin général,  #5 )
  • A Concise History of Greece
  • La última escala del Tramp Steamer
  • Prague in Black and Gold: Scenes from the Life of a European City
  • Libera nos a malo
  • Night's Lies
  • The Invisible Frontier, Volume 1 (Les Cités obscures, #12.1)
  • The Art Question
  • A Texas State of Mind (Port Serenity #1)
  • Synchronized Breathing
  • La principessa sul pisello
  • Les Années douces, tome 2
  • Corto Maltese: Una ballata del mare salato
  • S.O.S. Amore
India Knight is a British journalist. Her novels have been translated into 28 languages.

Knight, a native French speaker, lived in Brussels until about the time she turned nine. After migrating to the United Kingdom, she was educated in London. She was awarded an exhibition to Trinity College, Cambridge, where she read Modern Languages from 1984-1987, before starting her career in journalism.

In add
More about India Knight...