Why Tolerate Religion?

Why Tolerate Religion?

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This provocative book addresses one of the most enduring puzzles in political philosophy and constitutional theory--why is religion singled out for preferential treatment in both law and public discourse? Why, for example, can a religious soup kitchen get an exemption from zoning laws in order to expand its facilities to better serve the needy, while a secular soup kitchen...more
Cloth, 168 pages
Published November 2012 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Why Tolerate Religion?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Tolerate Religion?

Mike
"Toleration may be a virtue, both in individuals and in states, but its selective application to the conscience of only religious believers is not morally defensible" (page 133).

This book was really engaging. It is directed at interested non-specialists, but I suppose, under a careful reading, even specialists might find something valuable in the argument of the last chapter.

I wish the author would stop asking so many question, at a certain point, that started to grate on me. Sometimes he woul...more
RK-ique
"An interesting book to read but obviously not for everybody. Just for those of us who still like to dig around in minutiae. I wasn't aware that there are still a number of philosophical-legal arguments going on in the academic world. It's a healthy sign for society. I hope the lawyers and judges out there are following this type of discussion. (Right!!!)"

Having written the above early in my reading, I will say that it is good to see that the philosophical-legal debates continue. However, I will...more
Julie
I already agree and have thought about the main point, and was not motivated to read the whole book once I realized that.
Kate Irwin-smiler
While this is pretty dense for me, right now, I have a feeling it's pretty light for philosophy. That's not a criticism, just a description. Even for being dense, it's pretty readable, and I appreciate the author's use of italics to emphasize key phrases - it's used well, but not over used. I am not surprised that the author ultimately decides there isn't a principled reason to privilege matters of religious conviction over other claims of conscience - that was pretty much what I assumed going i...more
Ashley
Portions of the book were surely interesting, and the rather controversial subject matter was as well, but it's hard to put the book down without feeling a little bit like I've just read a rather lengthy undergraduate paper - inappropriate comparisons, a handful of hand-picked examples, and the feeling that the entirety of the piece was written half-heartedly to stand behind a strong premise.
Kathleen O'Neal
This was a good book but it had the potential to be truly great with the benefit of a more sustained engagement with its topic and more respect for human autonomy more generally.
Jen Locke
I didn't finish reading this, but it's not what I expected, therefore not what I'd like to read. I think I know where it's going and I'm just not that interested.
Heidi
interesting read but not for everyone.
Xinran Wang
Xinran Wang marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Eric
Eric added it
Sep 03, 2014
Michael Mcdonough
Michael Mcdonough marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Ernest Brooks
Ernest Brooks marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
May 22, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Christina Rothwell
Christina Rothwell marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Ramsey Cardwell
Ramsey Cardwell marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Brian Decorla-souza
Brian Decorla-souza marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Hannah Lazar
Hannah Lazar marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Brian Leiter is the Karl N. Llewellyn Professor of Jurisprudence and Director, Center for Law, Philosophy, and Human Values at The University of Chicago Law School.

Brian Leiter was a Visiting Professor at the Law School in the fall of 2006 and joined the faculty July 1, 2008, simultaneously founding the Law School’s Center for Law, Philosophy, and Human Values. Prior to that, he taught for more th...more
More about Brian Leiter...
Nietzsche on Morality (Routledge Philosophy Guidebooks) The Future for Philosophy Naturalizing Jurisprudence: Essays on American Legal Realism and Naturalism in Legal Philosophy Nietzsche and Morality Objectivity in Law and Morals