Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter #5)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,175,435 ratings  ·  16,004 reviews
Harry Potter is due to start his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His best friends Ron and Hermione have been very secretive all summer and he is desperate to get back to school and find out what has been going on. However, what Harry discovers is far more devastating than he could ever have expected...

Suspense, secrets and thrilling action from th...more
ebook
Published March 29th 2012 by Pottermore Limited (first published June 21st 2003)

Jess Michaelangelo
I cried like a little baby. J.K. Rowling really starts taking the series down a darker road in this book. She is so talented at character development, and it really shines in this book. Here, Harry is 15 years old, and for most of the book, he's whiny and self-centered, just like a typical teenager. I also adore Dumbledore's role in this book--his conversation at the end with Harry put me to tears. Rowling did an amazing job with the character of Umbridge...never have I hated a fictional charact...more
Caris
Dear Amazon,

Congratulations on your recent acquisition of Goodreads. It is a good purchase, a meaningful one. It’s like buying someone else’s grandfather’s house. Or a classic car someone else rebuilt. You know it’s a quality product because a lot of folks really sunk their hearts into it. For a lot of us, it’s been a labor of love. We’ve spent years carefully cultivating this community that you were lucky enough to buy.

This occasion reminds me a lot of one of my favorite books, Harry Potter and...more
Nour Sharif
Edit: 8\3\2014
It has been four months that I posted this review. And so far I have received great feedback. Thank you everyone for your support ^^
Remember, this is not a vain cause.

I know that I have neglected the subject of the new Goodreads policy a lot recently, and I ought not to have done that. You see, I wasn’t very free recently, and well because I didn’t know what to either say or on what book should I post it.
And then I read this book, and the rebelliousness in this book made me th...more
Annie
Jun 28, 2007 Annie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tried and true Harry Potter fans
hrrmmpp.
This is my least favourite of the Harry Potter series, and almost borders on the "don't bother". It is saved only by the virtue that it is a Harry Potter book and moves the series along to the still yet unknown finale.
My issues with it:
- deals with complex social/political problems in a simplified, extreme, and dichotomous manner
- characterisations are too easy/lazy- all good or all bad (with the exception of Snape who's good/evil intentions are yet unknown), all courageous or cowardly,...more
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]

Interview with JK Rowling...
Stephen Fry: Can we settle an important question?

JK Rowling: Yes.

Stephen Fry: How do you pronounce your last name?

JK Rowling: It is Row-ling. As in rolling pin.

Stephen Fry: So if any of you hear someone pronounce her name “Rohw-ling”, you have my permission to hit them over the head with — not with Order of the Phoenix, that would be cruel. Something smaller, like a fridge.
Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century)

Seriously, don't read this review if you haven't read the books.

The biggest compliment I can think to give an 870 page book is that I wish it had been longer. I wish this had been longer.

This book has always been my favorite in the series. Up until it, Harry’s story had been filled with light. Yes, yes, there were some tough parts, yes, yes, some darkness tinged the edges of the previous one, but honestly, that was a pretty happy book compared to this. Good still triumphed over evil, our hero...more
Inge

Dear Dolores Umbridge,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(view spoiler)
Keely
This is my favorite installment of the quintessential modern bildungsroman. Nevertheless, it has its problems, familiar to any reader of Rowling's.

She never seems to gain control of her writing, which spirals out into thousand-page doorstops filled with unimportant side characters and rambling plots. The story is moved along by arbitrary plot devices, often magic. Instead of using the magic to make her world seem more strange and wondrous, she uses it to cover up plot holes. Why write a consiste...more
Manny

Bunny Suicide 1
Bunny Suicide 2
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.

The copy I own is not signed by J. K. Rowling but it is signed by Daniel Radcliffe!

Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 Carmen Maloy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
What stands out in book 5:

* Harry's outburst to his friends at No. 12 Grimmauld Place. A combination of frustration over being kept in the dark and fear that he will be expelled fuels much of Harry's anger, and it all comes out at once, directly aimed at Ron and Hermione. Rowling perfectly portrays Harry's frustration at being too old to shirk responsibility, but too young to be accepted as part of the fight that he knows is coming.
* Harry's detention with Professor Umbridge. Rowling shows her...more
Wile
I've been told this was the most difficult to read of the series and I found it to be true. Harry is full of teen angst and spends a lot of the book furious (and being quite infuriating) at the fact that nothing is happening, and that when things do happen, he's not allowed to be involved. Of course not being allowed do things should never stop a boy like Harry Potter from getting involved - except that amazingly it does.

This book isn’t really so much about Harry Potter, but about all the other...more
Crazy Uncle Ryan
Nandakishore Varma
OFF-TOPIC REVIEW

No, this review is not about the book. I have not read it, but I may read it in future.

This is about a similar situation here on GR: I call it

MANNY RAYNER AND THE ORDER OF THE HYDRA

The good Word Wizard, Manny, is on the warpath against the evil "Am..." - er, sorry - "The corporate entity which shall not be named". This incredibly evil being, compared to whom Lord Voldemort seems like a choirboy, has swallowed GR and is trying bring its evil kingdom into existence. Join Manny in...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Wonderful book...only complaint I ever heard was it was too short. Still the emotional toll of this book is heavier than the ones before and it is more a young "adult" book than a "youth" book. As I've pointed out before, the original "generation reading these books had more time to mature between the publishing date of each book. Now they can be bought all together. Harry goes through some amazingly tough times (and doesn't handle some of them too well). Read these books before you simply turn...more
Nina
I bawled my eyes out during the last fifty pages. I cried for almost an hour. I went to sleep at 1 AM with a headache, tachycardia and a slight fever. I'm being perfectly Sirius. Oh God, no, that was so lame. I'm sorry, guys.

Aaannyyywwayyyy, this book shot my expectations through the roof. It's like J.K. Rowling keeps getting better, but to do this she needs to smash my heart to pieces that get smaller with every book.
For example, right here she has created my #1 Most Hated Character Of All Time...more
Chris
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of days, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as an unnamed member of the Bush administration.

So, how long until we can get this Rowling woman into Gitmo?

I mean really, have you read this book? It's an 800-page diatr...more
Joe
After reading this book for a second time, I've decided to dock it a star. It's still a good book, very well written, but I have some grievances to bring to Ms. J.K.'s attention:

(SPOILER WARNING!!!!)

At 870 pages, it is very laborious to get through this tome when every other sentence brings a new disaster/ problem for Harry. Drama is fine, but to this level at this length is just overdoing it. Starting with the dementor attack in the first few pages and continuing through Umbridge's evilness, a...more
Rachel
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
I started these books thinking I some what liked Harry Potter's story. I mean I had watched the movies. How much love could you expect a 44 year old woman to give to a children's book? I never imagined how these books would cast a spell on my heart and mind. I have slowed down in my reading of them just because I know the end of them is near and I know I'm going to shed some tears.
You think if you've watched the movies you know these stories...not. These books are just completely and utterly ma...more
Jillian -always aspiring-
I have such fond memories of this book. I was twelve at the time, and I was the first to get my copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix from the Barnes & Noble I had gone to for a midnight release party. I was so ecstatic to have that big blue book in my hands. It felt like such promise within my palms (especially since I had had to wait three years for it!!) -- and I wasn't wrong. My next day and a half were spent just reading, reading, reading (and maybe sleeping and eating a bit...more
Callista
First read in 2003; re-read in 2006.
I know some people who complained about Harry being so angry in this book, but I think he has the right to be. He’s traumatized over Voldemort’s return and Cedric’s death, very few people believe he’s telling the truth about Voldemort, and he’s being kept in the dark by the people he trusts and cares about. The formation of Dumbledore’s Army is enjoyable because it finally gives Harry a chance to take on a leadership role, and his fellow students get to learn...more
Priscilla
Ugh.. my heart. So.. heavy.

Quick thoughts:

1. Really intense and dark.
2. Fantastical spells, jinxes, and charms. I love magic.
3. I want to know more about Moony, Padfoot and Prongs.
4. Writing is superb, invoking intense emotions. I almost cried .___.
5. Now I know why Weasly is my king :)

A month to finish?! T__T I do not like that.

Full review soon.
Becky
Whew! Done! Oh man. I've read this book, I dunno... dozens of times, but for some reason, this UK edition just seemed UNENDING! The story was fantastic as usual, and gut-wrenching and heart-breaking and mind-blowing, but as someone who enjoys seeing their progress through books in the pages that make their way to the left side of the split, this book felt like a treadmill... I'm busting-butt on it, but I'm making no visible progress.

But ridiculously thick book gripes aside, this is my favorite...more
Ren the Unclean
Aug 07, 2007 Ren the Unclean rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Harry Potter fans only.
Shelves: fantasy
This is the worst Harry Potter book. The characterization is unbelievable and annoying, taking the various holes in the world J.K. has created with Harry Potter and throwing them in the face of the reader with the expectation that they will accept anything at this point. Events in the world that main characters (and by extension, the reader) find outrageous and crazy are accepted by everyone else in the world without adequate reasons for their acceptance.

Harry whines incessantly throughout this...more
Jo ★  The Book Sloth★
So... I'm at my mother's house and there my old paperback edition of this book sits, taunting me, challenging me to read it for the hundredth time. How can I resist Harry??

This is my least favourite book in the series because Harry acts like a self-righteous jerk but it is still one of the best books I've ever read. And the end always makes me cry like a baby.

Liz*
"[Love] is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than the forces of nature."

Luna is so sweet, I love every time she speaks. There's so much wisdom in her and you don't even know it.

You bet your sorry ass he's back and you and a-hole Perry can go and hide now...

This woman was seriously fucked up.

Still, I don't like bullies.

Book Ginny is amazing. Movie Ginny is criminal...

That ending. THAT ENDING. And only Dumbledore can say: it was all my fault because I...more
Katya
Hello, friends, and welcome back to my reviews of the Harrietta Potter books!

*sigh* We got a bad one today, folks. I just don't mean bad, I mean really, really bad! I've often given many stars to horrible books, as long as I liked the characters, so it probably won't surprise you that I deduct from a rating when an MC annoys/pisses me off.

Luckily, that doesn't happen very often! Only a handful of times, really. Bella Swan, Luce Price, Laurel Sewell, Ever Bloom, Nora Gray, Bethany Church... but...more
Devon
Jan 01, 2014 Devon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: own, favorites
Victoria
Warning: There will be spoilers present in this review.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was a deeply-moving, touching, and suprising book with plenty of twists from beginning to end. It wasn't a suprise to me that every book I've read in HP series thus far, has made on my list of favorites. J.K Rowling keeps writing books that I've always wanted and look in a book. I don't know how she has done it, but it's a truly a gift.

In the 5th book, we get to see Harry has truly grown increasingly...more
Favorite male character, but not HP, any Weasley, no Professors, Hagrid, or fantastic creatures! 41 284 13 hours, 21 min ago
American Readers - I have a question... 39 455 Jul 20, 2014 05:39PM
Snape's Worst memory? 61 256 Jul 18, 2014 05:42AM
Voldy and Bellatrix (couple) 4 51 Jul 17, 2014 10:45AM
#SummerOfSpells: Order - Spoiler 6 62 Jul 15, 2014 04:35AM
MAGIC OF JK ROWLING'S WRITING 7 90 Jun 24, 2014 05:09AM
Hogwarts School o...: Sirius Black's Death - Preventable? Maybe... 24 74 Jun 20, 2014 07:48AM
  • Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
  • A Muralha de Gelo (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo, #2)
  • The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4)
  • The Lost City of Faar (Pendragon, #2)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2)
  • Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane (Underland Chronicles, #2)
  • Deltora Quest (Deltora Quest, #1-8)
  • Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)
  • Soul Eater (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2)
  • Inkdeath (Inkworld, #3)
  • Many Waters (The Time Quintet, #4)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #2-3)
Although she writes under the pen name J.K. Rowling, pronounced like rolling, her name when her first Harry Potter book was published was simply Joanne Rowling. Anticipating that the target audience of young boys might not want to read a book written by a woman, her publishers demanded that she use two initials, rather than her full name. As she had no middle name, she chose K as the second initia...more
More about J.K. Rowling...
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)

“Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have.” 9617 likes
“Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure.” 7878 likes