Start by marking “This Blood (Grace Allen, #1)” as Want to Read:
This Blood (Grace Allen, #1)

This Blood (Grace Allen #1)

When Grace Allen discovers a valuable ring in a gutter, she thinks it’s her lucky day, but, fate has other ideas. Now, Grace finds herself not only the keeper of tremendous power, but the only person in the world able to wield it.

Seth McPhee is a monster on the hunt and his prey has never been more seductive. While Graces’ powers will ensure his leadership in the underwor
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 254 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Alisha Basso

To ask other readers questions about This Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Blood

Mara
Apr 27, 2012 Mara rated it did not like it
An indie novel, This Blood sounded interesting. Unfortunately, I have read this story (or a version of it) quite often.

It's true it has no glaring mistakes or weird phrases, but is plagued by acute cases of marysueness. The heroine is the usual fake-human (but in reality Other) female with incredible powers and sex-appeal. Every (of course gorgeous) male around her can't wait to have her.

Characters are flat, and the writing could not keep me hooked. I skipped most of it.

The story ends with a s
Trea
Jan 18, 2014 Trea rated it did not like it
Shelves: challenges-2015
Just could not get into this book, and I finished it with a "WTH did I just read?!". No world building whatsoever, action starts and they're coping with one thing after another. The font was wonky in the Kindle edition, and unable to be changed, which was very distracting to me. Could not engage with any of the characters and didn't care what happened at the cliffhanger ending. Deleting from my Kindle Library and abandoning the series.
Nook Books and More Blog
Sep 23, 2015 Nook Books and More Blog rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alisha-basso
This Blood was an exceptional read! Not an ordinary vampire novel that's for sure. The author is exceptional in keeping you glued to the pages. She manages to give you every emotion to man and that's an exceptional talent that's few and far between.

Grace is a character to grows into her own and becomes the person she's destined to be. She's not only badass but funny and quirky and that gives a since of realness that one could relate too.

The men in this story makes you week in the knees! They a
Kaila
Sep 24, 2015 Kaila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was kind of a slow start for me. Maybe because I was itching to get to the action! I was a little put off with the descriptions in the places used, and a little redundant on the explanation of feelings at times. Though after about 1/3 of the book, I didn't want to put it down! I liked how the girl MC wasn't helpless or whiny. She wants to take action, and wants results fast. The two men MC's were not bad themselves. For me they are like the angel and devil that appear on either side of you ...more
Shannon
Mar 02, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took me out of my normal reads & made me have a new appreciation of reading a sci-fi type of book!! Basso takes you into a world of vampires, fop's, mythical type creatures & seductresses!! It's full of excitement, romance, & a little old fashioned ass kicking!! This Blood is a well written, easy flowing book that makes you want more!! Just when you think you know what's going to happen; a new twist is thrown at you!! This book kept me on edge until the last hello....
Missa Irish
May 15, 2012 Missa Irish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book that is action packed! At first I wasn't sure about Grace but I quickly fell in love with her spunky spirit and her willingness to help her friends. I don't want to give it all away in this review so I would highly suggest that you read this one for yourself! Can't wait for the next book in the series. Thank you Alisha!
Autumn
Jan 11, 2014 Autumn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Blood
By: Alisha Basso

I give this book 3 stars

I really enjoyed Grace's adventure. Grace's life takes a turn for the weird after she finds and sells a ring. That one thing changes her life forever. If someone told me I was going to change into some mystical being I would be freaking the hell out! All Grace can really think of is saving her friends. I have to admit her powers are awesome I wouldn't mind having them. :) Alisha does a good job of showing emotion, that at time in the book I sat
J.J. DiBenedetto
Alisha Basso's "This Blood" (the first book in her Grace Allen series of novels) is a suspenseful, exciting take on the supernatural world.

Grace is a waitress at a dive bar, and one day is much like another: get dressed in the too-revealing outfits her boss demands, drive to work (praying her car survives for another day), sling booze for several hours, go home, lather, rinse, repeat. Until she finds a ring just lying in the gutter. Grace pawns it for cash, but soon enough the new owner of the r
Judy
Nov 25, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Blood by Alisha Basso
The Grace Allen Series
Grace Allen is just a girl struggling to survive. Working at a bar called The Edge for a grumpy boss and odd co-worker. Her life is pretty boring. Soon enough Grace wishes it was like that again. It all changed one night at the bar when the most sexiest man she ever encountered came to the bar. He was looking for her and wearing the very ring she had found and sold. No way he would know who she was. When a second most sexiest man ever tries to warn
Sheryl
Sep 06, 2012 Sheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always take the time to read a sample of books and the reviews others write on a book, I think that alot of times it all explains what the reader takes from it, we all see things in a different perspective. I seen more likes than dislikes.. as I read the sample, I couldn't get the story out of my head to find out what was going to happen next, so I downloaded it after putting it on the back shelf to finish another one I was reading, I still was unable to get the thought of what was going to ha ...more
T.
Jan 12, 2013 T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit towards the middle, I almost stopped reading the book- not because of the writing, but because of the 'poor woman trapped in impossible circumstances forced into the bed of the evil...' well, you get the idea, I felt trapped in a cliche, well, a few of them anyway. But! I decided to hang on for a little longer, and was rewarded by a nice shift in the storyline, and amazingly Grace found a bit of backbone I had seen hints of at the beginning of the story. I enjoyed the fresh plot lin ...more
Sharon Richmond
Jun 16, 2016 Sharon Richmond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nook books and More Blog
This Blood ( Grace Allen, #1) by Alisha Basso is one Sweet and Hot as Hades Book!!!

Man oh man what a great cliffhanger. I actually fell over on my couch after the last page.
This book might seem slow at first but let me tell you it is well worth it. OMG The author brings you into a world of pure exciting danger wrapped up in such hot men, lol. Sweet!!
Vampires, Warlocks, Elves, Trolls are just some of the badasses. And a human girl who's world is about to get rocked, and not in a good way.

Grace Al
Stacy
Sep 11, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Grace Allen discovers a valuable ring in a gutter, she thinks it’s her lucky day. But fate has other ideas. Now, Grace finds herself not only the keeper of tremendous power, but the only person in the world able to control it.
Change isn’t the only battle Grace must face in this new and frightening world. Seth McPhee, vampire and master in the art of seduction is hot on her heels. While Graces' power will ensure his leadership in the underworld, her beauty will make her captivity a pleasure.
Amber Barr
Mar 29, 2013 Amber Barr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Age 18 and over
Alisha Basso’s “This Blood” book one of “The Grace Allen Series” is a thrilling tale of lust, greed, power, betrayal, love, and the lengths people will go to when in and under pursuit. With a motley crew of creatively crafted paranormal characters, Ms. Basso tells the story of a young woman’s struggle to find her place in a world she never dreamed existed. Ms Basso’s storytelling approach, which combines mythology, fantasy, and paranormal components to create a world that is smart, funny and ima ...more
Stephanie
Dec 06, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know everyone has heard of vampres, werewolves, witches, and warlocks, but have you ever heard of a Madea? Grace finds a ring and decides to sell it. What she didn't realize, was that trying that ring on started a huge change in her that could never be turned back, a change to turn her into a Medea. With her friends captured and a wicked vampire holding the ring that binds her powers, she is forced to do his bidding. She plans to bide her time and free her friends, no matter the personal sacra ...more
Lauren
There are vampires hunting grace for her special gifts that she doesn't even know about. On the flip side Lucien found her and is trying to help her fight Seth, a very intriguing vampire.

I liked the concept of the story and the author does a good job explaining everything. I felt that everything just seemed too easy for grace and she was kind of whiny throughout the story. I was never able to connect with any of the chargers nor find them overly appealing.

Note: I received this book free from a
Sandy Grissett
May 06, 2014 Sandy Grissett rated it it was amazing
Very good read

I have heard about vampires and such, however I have not heard of a madea. I was not sure which one of the different types of gorgeous men were the one that she should be with. I guess I was taken by the appearance of each. Sure would be a tough decision for me. lol. I loved it when she traveled to the other time and became their saviour or saved them from their curse. Not sure about the end. May have to get the next book!
Bungluna
Mar 02, 2013 Bungluna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I enjoyed this story overall. The middle was a bit hard for me since I hate the 'woman in clutch of gorgeous evil' plot, (one of my pet peeves). The heroine redeemed herself and was very likable. The inevitable triangle was established, and why this is necessary in all the UF I've been reading is beyond me. I deducted some points because of the ending. (view spoiler) Still, I'd recommend this novel to anybody who enjoys the genre.
Jessica
I did enjoy the first half of the story and the discovery of her abilities. It seems she is basically becoming a jinn with the ability to create, change, or destroy anything her mind can conceive. I didn't enjoy the second half of the book nearly as much. Sometimes she would show a clever and intelligent mind and other time you just want to smack her on the back of her head and say "You idiot...what did you do that for!"
Lisa
Jun 21, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What an incredible read. Grace is such a fantastic character...she's strong, loyal, and a total friend...
I love the dynamics of the story and her relationship with the other characters, esp. Seth and Lucien (I love them both)...
Paranormal romance with a twist of supernatural and some tough girl chic...
Looking forward to reading #2 in this fantastic series!
Amanda
Jan 23, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Very interesting to say the least. This sent my emotions on a roller coaster. I spent the better half of this book yelling at the main character to get her ass in gear, realizing that she couldn't but still.. It was enough to convince me to get #2 though. It ended in a cliff-hanger which I absolutely despise. I had planned on reading the next one long before that though.
Helen
Sep 03, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! I'm not usually one for Vampire fiction, but wow! There are all kinds of interesting creatures running around in this one and they're all strange and fascinating! But none more fascinating than the heroine herself! She's spunky and sassy and I want to be her best friend! Well done Alisha! :)
Sharon Smith
Mar 30, 2013 Sharon Smith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I was ready for this book to be over about halfway through. It just dragged! The characters weren't impressive especially since their one overwhelming shared character trait was horniness. The plot was too busy... Kidnapped, have some sex, magic, more sex, kidnapped again, more sex, now a little bloodshed and lets go save a elf-fairy world. No thanks.
Jessica
Apr 25, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Appreciate the main character not having page after page of the same inner turmoil nor page after page of redundancy. Not a lot of story line was devoted to thrills and twists. However, a tad more character development along with deeper plot twists and this story is a home run. Definite potential.
Patti Ashley
Jun 23, 2014 Patti Ashley rated it really liked it
A great start to the series

I liked this book from about the third chapter. Lucian and Seth are like two sides of one coin. Together they make one interesting male lead. Separately they can be rather flat and one dimensional.
Hoping the next book fleshed them out and makes them both more interesting.
Kimberly C. Winslow
Mar 22, 2016 Kimberly C. Winslow rated it it was amazing
Hard to put down!

Warning - once you start this book other things become less important and procrastination has a worthy excuse! I almost read it straight through but needed sleep. Upon awaking I finished the first book. Well written, entertaining, engrossing, and above all very creative! You really get behind and feel for the main character and what she goes through! Loved it!!
Denise
Aug 05, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very entertaining. I enjoyed the story throughout. The characters are great. I love the character Grace. Her humor and outlook are a great combination. A great add to your tbr list. Recommended read.
Tia
Feb 17, 2015 Tia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was swearing for most of this novel. 75% of it, if not more is her trying to get the ring back, when she should of just zapped them all or froze time or something. It was annoying that she could reverse time and then hit play again, etc but couldn't get her ring back... Ugh. 2.5 stars.
Renee Rearden
Jun 01, 2012 Renee Rearden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was well written, with an engaging story line. So why the four-star rating? There were a couple moments I was frustrated with Grace's hesitance and denial. Will the reason for her actions be explained in the next book? Probably. And I'll be reading it to find out!
Starla B
Nov 08, 2012 Starla B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little bit to get into this story. At first, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. However, the farther I read the more I was interested until I could barely put it down. The ending was quite a cliff-hanger, and I'm really looking forward to the next book.
Free Subscription...: On Scribd - This Blood 1 10 Oct 27, 2014 09:12PM
  • Bite
  • Dead Shifter Walking (The Succubus Executioner #1)
  • Blood Double (God Wars, #1)
  • The Encounter (Boreal and John Grey, #1)
  • The McClane Apocalypse, Book 1
  • The Alpha (Vanguards, #2)
  • The Tears of Elios (Elgean Chronicles, #1)
  • Devon: The Beta's Double Trouble (Denver Pack, #3)
  • Derrick (Circe's Recruits, #3)
  • Bring It Home (Midwestern Shapeshifter #2)
  • Cottonwood
  • The Gladiators (Enslaved, #3)
  • Fragile Brilliance (Shifters & Seers, #1)
  • Dark Seduction (Primordial Guardians, #1)
  • Semester Aboard (More than Magic, #1)
  • Un.Requited (Slayter #1)
  • Primitive Instincts
  • A Night at Tears of Crimson (Tears of Crimson, #1)
THIS BLOOD The Grace Allen Series Book 1
THIS CURSE The Grace Allen Series Book 2
THIS TIME The Grace Allen Series Book 3
THIS NIGHT The final installment in The Grace Allen Series. Book 4
Seth
Bloody the Bones

Paranormal Romance Author

Alisha Basso grew up in The Biggest Little City in the World, Reno, Nevada.

When she is not writing, she loves to be surrounded by her family and friends.
Alisha loves tak
More about Alisha Basso...

Grace Allen (4 books)
  • This Curse (Grace Allen, #2)
  • This Time (Grace Allen, #3)
  • This Night (Grace Allen #4)

“He turned and quickly removed his pants. My eyes grew huge, since he wore nothing underneath. I started to stammer, trying to avert my gaze,his sex all but riveting my eyes as I stared, blatantly helpless.“We will not make love. You’re in this bed as a friend. Why make things difficult?” I was hot all over; his body was perfect, strong, welcoming and oh-so-alive.” 4 likes
“We were just speaking to your friend here about the craft of brewing potions to enhance the libido. It seems he has a wealth of knowledge regarding plants and herbs.”I lowered my eyes to him, my head swimming at the only part of her greeting that I actually heard “You mean you can brew potions to increase sex drive?”She looked confused. “Well of course! We are trying to save our people from extinction, which means we must mate as often as possible. We find the task can become arduous after eight or nine couplings. The potions are what keep us going. Why, it’s in the bath we’re soaking in now.”I thought I was having a small aneurism. “I knew it!” I shouted stupidly. “I thought I was losing my mind!” 2 likes