Start by marking “Cosette's Tribe” as Want to Read:

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Inspired by a photograph of a smiling tribe of Indians, young Cosette decides to start a tribe of her own by playing matchmaker for her divorced mother in hopes of finding a replacement for her absent father. Unaware of the reprocussions her meddling will bring, Cosette triggers a series of dark events, which isolate her from her family, forcing her to deal, on her own, wi ...more
Published March 30th 2012 by Nonpareil Press (first published March 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cosette's Tribe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cosette's Tribe

Brandie Buckwine
Nine year-old Cosette carries the weight of the world (or at least, her world) on her fragile, yet tenacious shoulders. As the youngest member of a single-parent household, Cosette, or Cozy, longs for her father, or just a good man to take his place. Even though they are on welfare and don’t have money or nice things, Cozy and her two sisters are happy because Ma has a knack for making little things special, but Cozy still feels like something’s missing.

One day at her friend’s house, she meets K
Susi
This character was endearing! The story is very, very emitional due to this darling girl, Cosette. Thanks Leah Griffith.
Arrienne
This is told from a 9-year-old's point of view. I love how the author was able to capture how a child may see the world around her. She is more perceptive than adults give her credit. A quick read. I enjoyed reading it despite my dislike of some of the other characters in the story.
Karen
I am amazed "Cosette's Tribe" is Leah Griffith's first novel. We see Cosette take on a life filled with misfortune and dark secrets with such fortitude, it is impossible not to love her. Cosette comes alive through Griffith's wonderful prose. This is a great novel.
Fay Sherwood
Once I started reading I could not put it down. You are drawn into Cosette's life and want to become part of her tribe. It stirs up emotions as you read about her trials and challenges. I highly recommend it.
Julie
I won't lie to you. Cosette's Tribe is a tough book to read. I wasn't far into the book before I knew the direction it would take, down a dark and scary road where little girls most often travel alone. Ms Griffith was able to capture the thoughts and actions of a young girl well, and then presented her with a very believable voice. I was able to see the world through Cosette's eyes, hope for the best outcome and know deep inside that my hopes might be in vain.
The reason I didn't give it a full 5
Ming Yang
Spoiler alert:

This was the most frustrating book that I've had to read in quite a while. Mainly the frustration came from my inability to comprehend the world through Cosette's eyes; I could not understand why she couldn't just tell her Ma about what Ken does to her. A part of me held on to that thin strand of hope throughout the novel that maybe she would be able to be that kid who reported her step-dad for being a child rapist. But, no. I'm furious with the story. I'm torn apart by the series
Laine Cunningham
I was the final judge for a novel contest the year this manuscript came in to be judged. Right from the first reading, I knew this book was going to be among the top finalists. When it came time to sort through the top ten, then the top five, and finally to rank the top four entries in order, Cosette's Tribe rose straight to the top.
It was truly an honor to be able to read this work. The literary magazine that administers the prize still to this day talks about the author and this, her first nov
Marie
Overall, a very well written book. Although the subject matter was hard for me to read, I found myself bonding with the characters, especially Cosette. I was definitely emotionally invested in this book, and that is what makes a good book IMHO.
Lacey Warrick

Such a wonderfully written novel. This is an author to watch! I want to know what happens next on Cozettes journey.
Nicole
disturbing,thought provoking, a picture of how fear of hurting people you love can prevent you from telling the truth even if it means keeping dark secrets
Linda Johnson gallagher
I loved this book. I started to read and just couldn't put it down! Most memorable! Suggest everyone to read this book!
LuAnn
LuAnn marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Gale Pearson
Gale Pearson marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Mona Grant-Holmes
Mona Grant-Holmes marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Jessica Smith
Jessica Smith marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Marilyn Michaelson
Marilyn Michaelson marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
  • Frequent Traveller (Cathy Dixon, #1)
  • Amador Lockdown
  • Northwoods Deep
  • Unearthing Venus: My Search for the Woman Within
  • Platinum Passion (Gods of Love, #1)
  • A Love Rekindled
  • You Are Graduating Soon: What's After High School?
  • The Warble
  • Dark Inheritance: Fallen Empire (Fallen Empire #1)
  • The Donors
  • The Future Mrs. Darcy (Given Good Principles, #2)
  • The Advice Girl (Dalara, #1)
  • Rules Of The Game (Five Star Romance)
  • The Newfoundland Vampire  (The Newfoundland Vampire, #1)
  • Brambleman
  • Immortal Desires (Well of Souls, #1)
  • Mostly Dead Melvin
  • Her Folly (A Gentleman's Daughter #2)