Start by marking “Vanishing Point (Inspector Jack Brady, #2)” as Want to Read:
Vanishing Point (Inspector Jack Brady, #2)

Vanishing Point (Inspector Jack Brady #2)

Early on a Sunday morning in the North East seaside resort of Whitley Bay, a headless female torso washes up on the beach. Two days later, the body's missing head appears a mile down the coast - and with that, DI Jack Brady is plunged into one of the most harrowing cases of his career.
Published April 26th 2012 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Vanishing Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanishing Point

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I wanted to love this book as set in my home town but just couldn't. The plot has excellent potential but was lost in a swarm of over-description of minor details and too many characters making it difficult to relax into.

Certain scenes are excellent but then followed by long and drawn out dialogues that at times just bored me to be honest. I didn't, but was tempted to skip pages knowing I would not miss much. I read a lot of crime thrillers but this one just wasn't up there with some of the bes
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Crime, mystery, smuggling, slavery, guilt.

This was very brutal, more so than the first. The story itself picks up about six months after the first book.

Brady is just as bitter in Vanishing Point as he was in Broken Silence but it wasn't too much this time - whereas in the first I found it overbearing, in this second book it was much more in fitting with the story and tone. And I felt that he had more of a reason than ever to be bitter.

These books are a harsh commentary on cuts to police
Fiona
Dec 29, 2013 Fiona rated it did not like it

I found this book to be poorly written, which was a real shame as the plot had potential to be excellent and there were some very strong characters struggling to be heard.

The main issues which distracted me were the excessive use of adverbs - often in the wrong place, which interrupted the flow of the text. Slowly, harshly... and if anyone else sighed heavily it could have blown Whitley Bay into the water.

Secondly was the constant use of short clipped sentences. As a literary device this has
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
there's the basis for a good (in fact a really good) story here but the writing style left a bit to be desired. I felt Ramsay was lazy in her characterization and boring in her general descriptions. she repeated herself within several lines just in case we didn't get the point. I was unable to finish the book, although I did want to know what happened in the end - as I said above, it has the bones of a good plot.
Amanda
Oct 14, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the second book in the series featuring DI Jack Brady and picks up a short time after the events in Broken Silence.
DI Jack Brady and his team investigate the disappearance & deaths of young women in Whitley Bay. The police face a race against time to identify the victims, apprehend the murderer before any more innocent lives are lost. During the course of the investigation DI Brady and his team uncover a people trafficking ring & a prostitution ring but the police face hosti
Anthony Fisher
Nov 07, 2012 Anthony Fisher rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this fast pace action thriller. I have read the author's previous book, although I enjoyed it, however, that book suffered from the author's very tainted view of Whitley Bay. She projected it as a drug riddled and bottle strewn place, with druggists and drunks roaming the area plus corruption everywhere. I also read in the first book 'Broken Silence', the first couple of chapters of her next one, which again painted a poor picture of this area. I should declare an interest, that ...more
Kelly
Jul 14, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
Expectation: I thought that this would be a standard police procedural as part of the Jack Brady series. Instead it was much more than simple murder/investigation/capture because of the widescale of the crimes and the interweaving of personal and investigative plotlines.

Characters: I liked Brady as a main character because of his faults, in many crime novels the central character is an almost-perfect, better than all of his colleague investigator who can solve a crime by looking at a thread or
Nick Davies
Jan 13, 2016 Nick Davies rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed the previous book in the series, and I liked some of this one too, but in truth it was a little inferior and a little less enjoyable. Ramsay sets her novel in the North East resort of Whitley Bay, and populates her tale with a whole cast of cops and criminals, politicians and prostitutes, families and.. fuck.. other stuff. The plot was involving and gory, and the pace is kept up all the way through, with plenty of twists and turns taking it beyond the typical police procedural.

Al
Gadget Girl
Aug 21, 2013 Gadget Girl rated it really liked it
This was my first book I have read from Danielle Ramsay and I found it a fast paced gritty read with plenty of surprise twists, this sex trafficking story has quite a violent and shocking start which kept me reading this book all the way through in 1 sitting.

It is a compelling read and we watch Brady get completely immersed into this sadistic crime ring with personal issues directly relating to it. I found Brady a believable likeable rough round the edges cop, just my kinda guy and I wanted to k
Midnite
Jun 02, 2012 Midnite rated it really liked it

Katherine
Jun 30, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it
After reading Danielle Ramsay's first book, Broken Silence, I knew I wanted to read more. The characters in the previous book were again included within Vanishing Point as well new ones who you were easily able to learn about and grew to love or hate the good or bad guys.

This was also a page turner but maybe even more than the first. It contained more drama and immediacy to round the case up making it a fast moving plot and keeping you on the edge of your seat.

I'd say it's definitely worth a re
Andrew
Apr 18, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
This took a little while to get into, but soon hooked me and wouldn't let me go. It is not the most appealing material, with it's focus on sex trafficking and the discovery of a decapitated corpse, but iis still an 'entertaining' read, if a touch gritty in places. I have to admit ebnjoying the books in this series, and seeing how Jack Brady's past keeps impinging on the current. Jack, in my opinion, is lucky to still be a policeman. Hopefully in the future he will learn to move on with
Lili
May 02, 2012 Lili rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction, kindle
I enjoyed this author’s first novel, so pre-ordered this (a kindle book), the second in the series, however, although it was a very good read, I didn’t think it lived up to the author’s first book.

There was lots of dark, violence, plus quick moving action. It is just as Jack Brady expresses it himself “That kind of weird, sadistic shit wasn’t what he expected to find happening in Whitley Bay of all places” but I would have liked the story to have a little more personal interest in the Brady char
Tracy
Dec 19, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
After reading Broken Silence I had to read Vanishing Point the second book in the series. I really enjoyed it and found the characters grew on me leaving me hoping there is going to be a Third book.
If you enjoy police procedure/mystery that's fast paced with lots of twists and unexpected turn then give this a try.
Highly recommend!
Vic G
Feb 07, 2015 Vic G rated it it was amazing
I read this book without too much expectation on how good a crime novel it would be: Well, it throws many a best-selling author out the water..it is a fantastic read. Characters are believable; the nature of the crimes are just chilling. Executed perfectly and I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a crime thriller. Danielle Ramsay is a really good story teller.
Caroline Anderson
Jan 22, 2015 Caroline Anderson rated it it was amazing
Danielle Ramsay really puts her characters through the mill! Jack Brady is a likeable character, although we're never quite sure who's side he's on. Maverick is an understatement! The book is very well written and moves at an incredible pace; the whole book is only set over a few days and so much happens!
Kunal
Nov 01, 2013 Kunal rated it liked it
I stuck with it and the ending was pleasantly surprising. On the whole, however, Ramsay's writing skills leave a lot to be desired. Repetitive, patronizing and amateurish are a few adjectives that come to mind. Did I mention repetitive?
Jul 10, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Quite gory and graphic - enjoyed but I think this is the second novel and I haven't read the first. Characters to be developed - shows promise!
Steve Campbell
Feb 19, 2013 Steve Campbell rated it liked it
A bit too grisly for my liking and not believable enough. Maybe it was the unlikely setting! Still, I finished it so it couldn't have been too bad....
Jack
Jul 06, 2013 Jack rated it really liked it
A gruesome murder and a devastating attack on a colleague send DI Jack Brady into action; but is the source of the crime rather too close to home? Pacy thriller.
angela clucas
angela clucas rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Lynn Scott
Lynn Scott rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2012
Marcelina Marcjoniak
Marcelina Marcjoniak rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Graham Campbell
Graham Campbell rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Simon Fenwick
Simon Fenwick rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2015
William
William rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • In Too Deep
  • Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)
  • The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5)
  • Saxon's Bane
  • Closing In
  • Silencing Sapphire (Stalking Sapphire, #2)
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • The Tribute Bride
  • Thirty Scary Tales
  • All That Glitters
  • The Hangman's Song (Inspector McLean, #3)
  • Stay Alive
  • The Castle
  • Sycamore Gap: A DCI Ryan Mystery (DCI Ryan Mysteries #2)
  • The Cosy Teashop in the Castle
  • Kit
  • The Adventure of the Reigate Squire (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • Her Last Scream (Carson Ryder, #8)
Danielle Ramsay is a proud Scot living in a small seaside town in the North-East of England. Always a storyteller, it was only after initially following an academic career lecturing in literature that she found her place in life and began to write creatively full-time.
More about Danielle Ramsay...

Inspector Jack Brady (5 books)
  • Broken Silence (Inspector Jack Brady, #1)
  • Blind Alley (Inspector Jack Brady, #3)
  • Blood Reckoning (Inspector Jack Brady, #4)
  • The Puppet Maker (Inspector Jack Brady, #5)