Start by marking “The Curiosity of School: Education and the Dark Side of Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
The Curiosity of School: Education and the Dark Side of Enlightenment

The Curiosity of School: Education and the Dark Side of Enlightenment

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It’s one thing we all have in common. We’ve all been to school. But as Zander Sherman shows in this fascinating, often shocking account of institutionalized education, sending your kids off to school was not always normal. In fact, school is a very recent invention. Taking the reader back to 19th-century Prussia, where generals, worried about soldiers’ troubling individual ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Viking Canada

To ask other readers questions about The Curiosity of School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curiosity of School

Ben Babcock
I have wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember. And now I am. This year has been one of reshaping and redefining my identity—I’m no longer preparing to be a teacher, because I am one. Suddenly I’m frequenting staff rooms, going to meetings, filling out reports, and enforcing rules. I’m plugged into this system that is much larger than I am; it’s a sprawling behemoth of cogs, levers, and twisted chains of cause and effect that has sunk its roots deep into society. I love being a teac ...more
Michael
It's funny that when I borrowed this book from my school's library, the employee who saw my book choice just said "School?" as if it was the most boring subject in the world to actually read about.

As it turns out, school has quite the strange history, and it really began with Prussia in the 1800's, originally used as a means of training soldiers. The idea was to strip students of their individuality and turn them into obedient citizens who would later become soldiers, and then workers when there

H Wesselius
Many years ago at my first student teaching placement at a fairly upper middle class school, I marveled at the way the children obediently lined up, how complaint they were and that it was now my job to ensure that this happened. My new occupation -- turning youth into useful middle class (or working class) drones. I often refer to my profession as 1/3 teaching, 1/3 babysitting and 1/3 prison guard. In looking at the modern history of school, Sherman has confirmed my suspicions.

An interesting a
I'm left with an unsettling feeling. In Canada the push towards Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) in school is driven by companies who need employees in these areas. This means that emphasis is put on success in these areas. (Above creativity, and love of learning of course).

And now I feel a little jaded - are eBooks the blending of Technology and literacy? Is it merely a side effect of this emphasis on STEM? Does all literacy now have to incorporate some aspect of STEM t
Siobhan
The prevailing feeling I had while reading this provocative, wonderful, and somewhat terrifying (unedited manuscript) book was, "But my children have already completed high school! Have I done them a great disservice by trusting public education in Canada?"
Thank you, thank you Mr Sherman for this enlightening look at what government, military, and corporate interests have put into motion and continue to this day. Without this comprehensive background information, we would not know how fundament
M
I’ve just finished reading Sherman’s The Curiosity of School, and I must give credit where credit is due. Not only is his book provocative and educational, but it imparted upon me an overwhelming sense of horror. If I ever have children, I’m either going to home school them, or pack my bags and move to Finland.

I STRONGLY recommend this book to anyone working in the field education, especially teachers, but also, this should be a must-read for everyone; we need to properly understand what has and
Sheila
I enjoyed reading the history of education. There were some parts that were slower to get through but overall a good read.
Lianne Burwell
The Curiosity of Schools is a history for the evolution of schooling over (mostly) modern history. It lightly touches on earlier schooling, mainly be the church, but really starts with Prussia after Napoleon conquered the country, and the start of modern institutionalized schooling.

In Prussia, the goal was to essentially turn students into secret soldiers so that when the time came, they were instrumental in stopping Napoleon. Countries around the world started immitating their method, and tweak
Michael
This is without a doubt the worst book I have read in many years. As a longtime fan of Sir Ken Robinson and his argument that "school" as an institution crushes creativity and curiosity (http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson...), I was very much looking forward to reading The Curiosity of School. I was profoundly disappointed.

Perhaps everyone SHOULD read this book, if only to consider how important editors are. The book is astonishingly poorly written, structured, and "edited"--although I doubt
Don
My thanks to the Author, Publisher, and Goodreads for selecting me to read and review this free promotional Book.

A fascinating read. I highly recommend this for people who wonder how our modern school system was developed and where it still may be going.

The History of Public Schools & Education should be taught in Grade School instead of the usual completely uninteresting subjects (which seems to be the norm) and this book used as a Primer.

Kudos to Finland with the best Educational system o
guiltlessreader
Originally posted on my blog Guiltless Reading

Let me say right off that I didn't finish the book (I reached page 321 out of 352 - or approximately 91% according to Goodreads - which is 30 pages shy of completing it). While I didn't finish it, I do intend to, but for some reason I broke my momentum with this and it's a little difficult to get my head into the game again.

You can tell right away by the many stickies that I found this book rather fascinating. It is an extremely ambitious book, cover
Linda
Interesting history of the school system.

I appreciate the fact that the author was partly home schooled and had some experience in standard institutions.

I also like the fact that he presented the material in a fairly straightforward manner - he was neither apologetic nor critical of the different systems overall.

Interesting read.
Ron S
The history of education is far more peculiar than one might imagine. Zander Sherman manages to pack a lot of weirdness into 300 pages, touching on everything from 19th century Prussia to suicides by test takers in China to the controversial background of the SAT. A hugely entertaining, albeit troubling, read.
Jen
Feb 17, 2013 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in education reform. It provides insight into the current model of schooling, its original purpose and possible alternatives, or what we believe are alternatives. It was easy to read, unlike some research based texts, and had me thinking about what I believe education's purpose is. It is a must read for teachers, school board members and government policy makers. Understanding how the modern education system developed, and the disconnect th ...more
Jason
Sherman has obviously spent a lot of time researching this book, and as a result it is very informative. I liked the depth of his study, but at the same time, I found it hard to plow through some of his chapters.. I particularly enjoyed the section on Finland,and their success. I recommend this read to any educator who finds themselves wondering if there is a better way to educate, and really anyone else who has an interest in the topic of school.
Kay
The Curiosity of School is informative, thoughtful and thought-provoking, and a great pleasure to read. On the back it says, "This isn't a lecture, it's a conversation," and it really is. It flows easily, and has inspired a lot of further conversation, which looks like it will keep going for a long time.

Zander Sherman, if you're reading this, I want to thank you for the conversation. I enjoyed it immensely.
Jason

Like Freakonomics meets Horace Mann. Great read. The Prussians started it all!
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Ceili Sims
Ceili Sims marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Jason Wegner
Jason Wegner is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Bhreigh Gillis
Bhreigh Gillis marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Steven Borba
Steven Borba marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Kcshrader
Kcshrader marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Joel Trono-Doerksen
Joel Trono-Doerksen marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Mariya
Mariya marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • How the End Begins: The Road to a Nuclear World War III
  • The Rise of the Fourth Reich: The Secret Societies That Threaten to Take Over America
  • Mission to Berlin: The American Airmen Who Struck the Heart of Hitler's Reich
  • The Great Big Book of Horrible Things: The Definitive Chronicle of History's 100 Worst Atrocities
  • Wounded by School: Recapturing the Joy in Learning and Standing Up to Old School Culture
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • A Geography of Blood: Unearthing Memory from a Prairie Landscape
  • A Still Quiet Place: A Mindfulness Program for Teaching Children and Adolescents to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions
  • Eating Dirt
  • Shakedown: How Our Government is Undermining Democracy in the Name of Human Rights
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life
  • Roots Of Empathy: Changing The World Child By Child
  • Coroner
  • Deschooling Our Lives
  • Instead of Education: Ways to Help People Do Things Better
  • Hope Against Hope: Three Schools, One City, and the Struggle to Educate America's Children
  • Description & Setting
Zander Sherman was homeschooled until the age of thirteen, has worked as a freelance writer, and currently lives north of Toronto. The Curiosity of School is his debut work.
More about Zander Sherman...