Start by marking “The Unseen” as Want to Read:
The Unseen

The Unseen

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  31 reviews
My name is Lucy Satin, and I’m seventeen years old. I grew up in a prison for crazy people because I can see things, phantoms that nobody believes are there. But I know they’re real. I’ve always been able to see them, as long as I can remember. That’s why my parents abandoned me. The people here do horrible things to me, and seems like all my friends die before me. But no, ...more
Published January 14th 2012 (first published November 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Unseen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unseen

Hannah
I've read a lot of Alistar's writing, and wow, The Unseen completely blew me away. The jump in caliber from the first (unpublished) novel of his that I read, to his first published novella, Offset, to The Unseen is quite amazing.
I laughed and I cried, but mostly, I cried. If I could take Lucy home with me, I would. She is a character that truly comes to life in your imagination.

From the first few pages, Alistar arrests your empathy for the "crazy" Lucy Satin, and that empathy grows until the v
Harmony
Wow, I feel messed up after reading this book. And I mean that in a good way. As in "Wow, this book really affected me!" and "Wow I really felt like I was living Lucy's life along with her!" Luke Alistar, your mastery of words amazes me. I bow to you.
Brina Courtney
So perhaps this book was not my cup of tea but wow was it depressing. I was hoping and praying that at some point Lucy would turn it around for herself. I understand the time frame, setting not so much as I live in PA and there have never been prairies here, but I feel as though this was a bit of a knock on a poor girl. Why could she have not fended for herself? I understand her insanity but many crazy people lead perfectly normal lives, even after horrific things have happened to them. Also at ...more
Gina Barlean
I kept putting this book down, not wanting to read anymore. The writing left something to be desired. But the story held me there. I kept hoping the girl would find some kind of happiness. This book was so sad, and I personally wrote a sad book, too, so it made me really think about how I might change it to have some relief between the sad. The Unseen was a bit of sad-overload. Although, it wasn't unbelievable. I think the best testament to the story is that in spite of it being sad and what I f ...more
Feanor
I love stories about ghosts, and crazy people, so I decided to check this out. It's an amazing story with a main character I loved since the first page. It was hard to read though because my eyes kept filling with tears and making my vision blurry. (I have never cried so much over a book. Seriously dude, why? -_-)
I couldn't give it 5 stars though, because the actual prose is bad in a lot of places. It was sometimes difficult to fully immerse myself into the story because I kept noticing the flaw
Elizabeth Altenbach
I was talking to Luke one day back in April or May when he suggested I go and download his book because he was doing a promotion wherein he gave it away for free.
"A free book!" I thought, and hurried off to download it.
I was up until 3am reading it; I could not put it down. It was so mind-bending, so dark... Lucy pulled me into the story as if it were real life.
Luke is a very skilled writer in that he can immerse himself completely into his characters' minds, no matter the age, sex, etc. He real
Ann
this book kept me riveted but it's very very sad. heart wrencing
about a girl who thought she could see ghosts and at age 5 mother sent her away to the crazy jail which is what they call it in1800's
Sara Lynott
sweet

This is a tale of coping against all odds. Great read.
Can't wait to read more books by this author
Sharon
This book was heartbreaking, sad, and heart wrenching. It's a haunting book, that stays with you for a long time.
Carol
Alistar is a new author for me. I got it from Amazon's daily freebies and took a chance. The story line and reviews made me a little doubtful since it's not the normal kind of story I would read. But after I got into it, I had trouble putting it down. Last night, however, I stayed up very late, wanting to find out what happened next. It's been a long time since a book made me cry. It was hard to finish reading, with the sniffles and the tears, but I'm glad I did. The story is an emotional tear-j ...more
Christie
I got this book of of Pixel of Ink for my kindle, for free. I wouldn't had chose this book otherwise. I have mixed feelings of this book. I didn't love it. I don't hate it. It's defiantly a sad, depressing book.

This poor girl goes through so much in her life. With being abused, used, unwanted, mistreated. With the help of some spirits, she struggles in an insane asylum. She encounters demons who are out to harm her. She encounters people who have evil ways. Basically, it's the real world.

It's an
Lauren
Lucy can see ghosts and that is a major problem so at the age of five she gets sent to an asylum for crazy people. Her life is hard but little did she know it would get harder after her escape.

This book was depressing!!! I tried so hard to like it but I didn't even like Lucy that much and she was the main character. This was a really tough one for me to get through, I did eventually make it but I was sad throughout the whole thing.

Note: I received this book for free from amazon and I have give
Kiehl
I absolutely loved this book. I love Luke Alistar's writing style and the concepts he brings into the story. When you think the story is just about to end, he adds another twist to the story. With each turn of the page, a new adventure unfolds for the characters and the reader. It's a book that is hard to set down. You feel the pain, the loneliness, the fear along with the hero. It's as if you were actually walking with her on her journey.
Brenna
This is definitely one of my favorite books. I love Alistar's writing style, and how well everything flows together. This story breaks my heart every time I read it, but it seems to get better each time! It is a very depressing story, but the ending is a triumph for poor, dear Lucy beyond measure.
Dave Tovey
not at all my usual genre but I could not put it down from the very start. its just an amazingly well written book that has you getting to know the main character and spending every page feeling her sorrow and sharing her hope. bit of an emotional roller coaster of a book. loved it.
Mickie
I am giving this book a Two because it is well written I truly couldn't put it down, but just not my kind of book. Truthfully I found the book depressing. Poor Lucy the pain just piled up and piled up. I am sure other will love the ending but I really hated it.
Kathy
I couldn't put this book down, obviously. I read it in two days. The story grabbed me in right from the beginning and kept me turning page after page to see if Lucy would survive her ordeal. I highly recommend it!
Finvarra Penn
Good read. I read it in a day, the plot was that intriguing. I enjoyed the ending; it was nothing like I had been thinking it might be.

The writing style needs a little polishing, but all in all it was good.
Julie

Meh. Couldn't really get into this one. If there is going to be a supernatural component to a book I want to be haunted, and I was mostly annoyed by the phantoms and ghosts.
Cheryl
This was a sad story. I kept rooting for something good to happen for Lucy Satin. Just as when it looked like something good was happening it turned bad. I was surprised by the end.
Brittany
For free book it was good. It was a depressing book and the ending took a twist for something I did not expect. The author does have a way to his writing and pulling you in though.
Michelle
Not the usual type of book I read but for some reason I couldn't put it down either.
Samara
This was a free kindle book that I enjoyed. Every now and then I get a dud but this one held my attention and I read it in 2 days.
Sharla
I liked this book, but it was very depressing. The writing was engaging, and the character, as well as her situation, was interesting.
Cheryl
I kept reading, hoping for the best. The characters were irritating and it was childishly written. So much for trying out a new author.
Gina
very depressing! Cried. Wished she had of found some peace in her existence. Bittersweet ending.
Jocelyne
keep my interest, but a strange read tugged at my heart, was a enjoying read.
Courtney Leigh
It was ok....kinda weird but the ending explained it all. Quick read...
Measie Elizabeth
DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING...GREAT READ! ;)
Jill Weston
Loved it, broke my heart
  • Silas
  • Dream Walker (Paperback)
  • The Ming Storytellers
  • City of Whispers (City of Whispers, #1)
  • Touched By Fire
  • Firecracker
  • The View from Here
  • King’s X: Anthology
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Death Has a Name (Brodie Wade, #1)
  • What Zombies Fear: A Father's Quest
  • Little Sacrifices
  • Twisted Vengeance (Twisted Vengeance, #1)
  • Ashlyn's Radio
  • Gifts and Consequences
  • Golden Mane (The Adventures of Sarah Coppernick, #1)
  • The Wishing Hour
  • Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga
Luke Alistar is a freelance author, humorist, novelist, composer, pianist, guitarist, mandolin player, blogger, amateur actor, carpenter, and much more. He currently has five books available for sale, and just put together a band with their debut album in the plans for 2012.

Luke has been published in the Writer's Digest magazine, and his novella Offset placed as a finalist in the 2010 One Year Adv
More about Luke Alistar...
Offset Deep Water (Offset, #3) Velvet's Wings Catalyst  ZX-10 Subliminal

“You should ask more questions; it is good for the mind and soul. Questions are doors in the castle of knowledge. Treasure lies behind some, others obscure danger, and behind others lie the various pleasures of life. Every one will earn you knowledge if you are dauntless enough to open them.” 2 likes
“Young lady, there are many ways to tell something besides using speech. You tell me more by wrapping your arms around your knees than you ever could with the most eloquent words. You speak a thousand carefully penned lines of heartbreaking poetry with your eyes alone. A single innocent tear straying down your cheek is worth a flood of explanation.” 0 likes