Start by marking “Untie My Heart” as Want to Read:
Untie My Heart

Untie My Heart

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,176 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Published November 5th 2002 by Avon (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Untie My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Untie My Heart

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
279th out of 2,263 books — 4,311 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasPersuasion by Jane Austen
100 Historical Romances To Read Before You Die
190th out of 1,000 books — 1,205 voters

More lists with this book...

Tammy Walton Grant
Here's what I wrote in April, 2011 after finishing this book:

3.5?? 4??? I'm stuck. Liked the story, liked the ending (another big AWWWW one) but I didn't really connect with either the H/h.

Like I'm finding with lots of books I inhaled read last year, it has definitely benefited from a re-read. Judith Ivory's writing is beautiful; her prose is so descriptive, her phrasing so witty and her grasp of the period - especially in terms of the vernacular - so precise, it's difficult to come away from
Mo

Stuart Aysgarth, the new Viscount Mount Villiars, doesn't know he's playing with fire when he inadvertently runs afoul of Emma Hotchkiss. True, the exquisite Yorkshire lady is a mere sheep farmer, but she also guards a most colorful past that makes her only more appealing to the handsome, haunted lord. Emma has come to him seeking justice -- and Stuart is determined that she will not leave until she has shared her secrets ... and his bed.

She was shorter than he'd remembered. A plump, pretty l
Kathleen
In Yorkshire, where lambing is life, Emma cooks Stuarts' books -- just a little -- because his crazed stallion killed her ram and when she complained, he made light of it. She only wants fair recompense, and pretty much hates every high-brow heartless hair on his head when he withholds. The smug miserly monster.

However, the villainous viscount (Stuart) has proof positive of her fraudulence. So, the blackguard blackmails her: Go to prison or run one of your clever confidence tricks against my un
Corrine
I had a very hard time finishing this one. I like the concept of the book: con artist heroine has to help hero regain personal property, but it was not executed well.

Emma Hotchkiss is a vicar's widow, a sheep farmer, and a reformed confidence girl. She and her now-deceased husband once ran con games in London, until a close-call made them rethink their ways and retire to the country. In the intervening years, Emma's husband Zach began to embrace a gin bottle more than her, and she began to resen
Kinley
At this point in my reading life, I am incredibly picky about romance novels. The list of what they can't be is long and exacting, and I can't tell you how many I've started just to put them down half way through with a sigh of, "I will never be able to finish this drivel."

Judith Ivory is one of the best romance novelists out there. I just re-read both Untie My Heart and Black Silk and was amazed - AMAZED - at the depth of character in each.

Her writing makes the people, and the places, simply l
Zumbagirl
4.5/5 stars
April has been my month to read humorous books that cause me little or no stress - and Untie My Heart was a perfect match! I absolutely love the way Judith Ivory writes - she won me over with the Proposition - and this was almost as good (I hate to compare but I always do, can't help it). She has such a wonderful sense of humor and had me cracking up many, many times. She also has a way of writing the heroes in such a way that we really get to know them - somehow with other authors it
Keri
Beautifully written book. The chair scene was unforgettable. This is my first Judith Ivory that I finished and won't be my last.
Denise
I am muddled if I should give this a 3 or 4, but after sleeping on it I might still change my mind.

I absolutely loved Stuart, Viscount Mount Villiers. Emma, not so much. But for the most part I liked them together. Emma however could get on your nerves with her vacillating ways.. I want him, I don't want him, he excites me, I am afraid of him (The being afraid of him part was ridiculous, he was sexy and adorable!) Then there were too many lines. Like this. Annoying.
I did like the plot itself
Amanda Westmont
This was my second Judith Ivory book and man, does this author deliver. She can WRITE. There were scenes in this book, specifically some of the dialogue between the hero/heroine, that literally made my stomach drop, made me swoon like I'd just gone over a cliff. A feeling I can find only one word for and it's a frothy, romantic one at that: rapture. Reading this book filled me with a sense of rapture.

It's the way she writes her scenes - they can take dozens of pages - but you don't mind it becau
Wicked Incognito Now
Judith Ivory!!! Where have you been my whole life? This was fabulous. Just when I thought I couldn't truly enjoy romance novels anymore...I get to read something that tickles me through and through.
Susan (the other Susan)
Did I mention the chair scene? Oh, man. The chair scene! This book would rate ten stars if the second half had been as fabulous as the chair scene.
Julia
I love the plucky heroine, with her audacious past and unique skill-set. I love the hero, with his unexpected weaknesses and deliberate speech. A favorite quote:

Though his sexual inclinations were perhaps not the wisest of barbs to do either. he looked down at her, speculative. "Dif
Miranda Davis
Okay, since I may not finish, I just want to note for myself what's derailed me. The premise, so far, rests on the idea that the heroine has used past skills as con artist to gain just compensation for a lamb killed by the Viscount hero's coach while barreling through Yorkshire. Though anxious to remain law-abiding, she faces a man who has used the legal system to avoid fair compensation and her frustration drives her to seek redress by scamming his bank, forging checks and collecting the exact ...more
Melowin
Oh, I liked this one a LOT. I'd have to say that Stuart (despite the terrible name) is one of my favorite leading male characters out there. Thanks to him, the sex is slightly kinky and hot - good stuff. And the interplay between the wills of the two characters is great fun to watch develop, there is a lot of ground covered in their relationship. I'd say this is my favorite novel by Judith Ivory.

I had to re-read this. Judith Ivory's language is so beautiful, it is impossible not to fall in love
Janet
People always ask what books would be part of your romance conversion kit: this one. This one for sure, because of the incredible hero, the poetry, the sensuousness of the writing ... I could go on. And a sheep-farming heroine. Yes, surely the only one in romantic literature. The plot is absorbing but it's Stuart and Emma's story, all the way.
Ana
I'm totally in love with this book and with “Stuart Winston Aysgarth, The Right Honourable Viscount Mount Villiars" He's the perfect book hero for me. A bit of an alpha male with a roguish sense of humor. He is unbelievably sexy and vulnerable...nursing a hurt so deep that dear courageous Emma can't help but fall in love with him! I would give this 10 stars if I could. This romantic book is definitely a keeper. I absolutely ADORE it!!!
Crystal
There's a lot to like here. Judith Ivory is a very capable writer, and she told an interesting (and slightly kinky!) story while dodging most of the more annoying romance cliches. I wasn't sure I could like the hero after the awful way we were introduced to him, but he won me over with his honesty and self-awareness. The heroine made some decisions that seemed to make no sense, but she was so lovable that I'll forgive it. The last third or so lost me a bit, with some forced angst and an ending t ...more
Heroes & Heartbreakers
When someone asks me the differences between Romance and Erotic Romance and Erotica, my answer usually boils down to “it’s complicated.” For me, one of the most erotic authors out there is Judith Ivory/Judy Cuevas, whose work is marketed as romance and read as romance, but in my opinion could also be considered erotic romance or even mainstream historical fiction. She’s widely considered to be one of the most stylish and original of romance novelists. Her novels have a rich, elegant prose style ...more
Judy
Although this book wasn't entirely my favorite type of story - somehow both Stuart and Emma had pasts that were a bit dark and of course they were the result of their respective pasts and how they had responded to what life had dealt. In fact, they were survivors and yet, somehow the reading of this book left my soul a little troubled. Still, the story was intriguing, the con game they set up was very interesting. Last, they were definitely not your run of the mill Main Guy and Main Gal that typ ...more
Opal
I read a Judith Ivory book for the first time and was stunned to have missed an author of such a caliber - since I read a lot of Regency era novels. This is not Regency though, but much later - 1890s.

The characters were novel and interesting- an English aristocrat who is foreign, with a lovable stammer and a local sheep farmer who is fighting to get compensation for the lamb that the wicked aristo killed.

The book moves through incidents not usually found - like a legal discussion inside of a ban
Lady Jaye
I am rather confused. I don't know whether to rate this book 4, 3, or even 2 stars!

Ms Ivory was doing the most here - going into a bit too much detail about sheep farming and the intricacies of the confidence trickster life. They were necessary to the plot but in too much detail. We didn't new all that research to be out into the book.

I am also not sure I like the circumstances under which the protagonists hung out and fell in love. I wish it had been different.

But what I absolutely loved wer
Arnarn
4.5 more or less.

The story isn't flawless. The headers (??) before the chapters allude to the fact that Emma has become (view spoiler), but the story didn't get to that. I wanted badly to know what happened after the last scene, and the author could've been given a fan service of sorts and added more details. There are issues that could have been tied neatly. And seriously I can't understand the title. It should have been something about sheep or swindling o
Jenny
OMG---Judith Ivory books are so good. The book started off kinda slow, but just at the very beginning. Then I could NOT put it down. I love the comraderie that the couple have. She writes so good, that you are just in love with the couple. I LOVED Stuart. I loved how he stuttered when he got nervous. I cried so much at the end..... soooooooo sweeet. I wish there was a sequel to the book.
Rosina Lippi
Ivory pushes some boundaries here, experiments with defintions of consensual sex and other hot button topics. It should be no surprise that she pulls those scenes off beautifully. She has a masterful command of dialogue, and of her time period and setting, and she knows how to tell a story. Nothing boring here, or predictable.
Julia ♥Duncan♥
This was a fun read. I found both characters unique and likeable. Stuart especially was different from many heroes I've read. Occasionally I was a bit bothered by what I felt was dubious consent, but on the whole I liked the romance a great deal. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.
Corduroy
Falls under the "sort of crazy, but great" subheading of romance, I think.

Heroine is a sturdy Yorkshire sheep farmer. Hero is a dissolute nobleman blah blah blah. She scams him out of some money, they have sex while she's tied to a chair, etc.
Ilze
Highly enjoyable. The antics of the hero and heroine are just jaw-droppingly outrageous and funny. Judith Ivory writes so beautifully and her plots and characters are always unique and original. Wish she was still writing ...
Ruthie Knox
I loved this book So. Much. Totally unique hero and heroine, wonderful character development, hot sex, great plot. Really fun, really satisfying. *happy sigh*
Charlie
Historically, culturally, socially, geographically and linguistically inaccurate. I'm usually not a stickler for that kind of thing if the story has any kind of redeeming factors. This book I did not finish.

I may be biased because I live in and love Yorkshire, however there are many things I'm very sure would NEVER happen - demonstrative quote: referring to a bank draft, the viscount tells the protagonist in a letter to "cash this draft, eat it with mung beans, or stuff it up your very nervy bum
Cynthia
Edit: Pretty sure I gave this a 3.5 ish rating the first time I read it. These days, I love this book. It definitely has flaws, but I love rereading it. It's very entertaining, and both characters have endeared themselves to me for good.

I mean, it has a great h/h pair, sheep, lawsuits, scams, disguises, more sheep, and an overall romping good time.

Emma just has so many amusing, adorable, admirable, and other "a" adjective sides. She's the stubborn, fun, independent friend you're always a little
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Bliss (de Saint Vallier Brothers, #1)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • My Dearest Enemy
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • Indiscreet
  • The Lady's Secret
Judith Ivory "accidentally" acquired two degrees in mathematics, then sold her first novel in 1987 and closed up the math books for good. She lives in Miami Florida, with her two children, two cats and a dog.

"Judith Ivory" is the pseudonym of author Judy Cuevas (real name).
More about Judith Ivory...
The Proposition Beast Black Silk The Indiscretion Sleeping Beauty

“On the roof, on the duvet under the steam vent, with the planets overhead, he let her scream all she wished. She screamed into the night. To the stars. At one point, with his lying atop her, he said, “Look over my left shoulder. Venus is visible tonight.” Then he pulled the covers away from her, wrestling her for the duvet, as he called, “Here she is, all you Venusians”—he lifted out his arm, using it to span the celestial horizon-—“and the rest of you planets out there: the most beautiful woman on Earth, spread-eagled for your pleasure!” He laughed. “At my disposal, mm-m-m!” He bent down, nibbling, kissing her neck with his teeth, his lips, his mouth.” 2 likes
“Tied up a lot of women, have you?" He raised one eyebrow, whatever that meant. "A bit odd, are you?" She was being sarcastic, trying to taunt him into a sense of guilt. While perhaps bursting any bubble in herself of misguided, soft-hearted concern for a man with sad eyes and complicated wealth. Though his sexual inclinations were perhaps not the wisest of barbs to do either. He looked down at her, speculative.

"Difficult to say." He actually answered the question seriously. "Legally? Decidedly. But then British laws on the subject are so guilt-ridden I'm surprised we've propagated as a race." He mad a small, grim smile. "How delightful we're having this conversation. And what is it you like?”
1 likes