Start by marking “NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence” as Want to Read:
NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence

NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence

The need to handle increasingly larger data volumes is one factor driving the adoption of a new class of nonrelational "NoSQL" databases. Advocates of NoSQL databases claim they can be used to build systems that are more performant, scale better, and are easier to program." ""NoSQL Distilled" is a concise but thorough introduction to this rapidly emerging technology. Pramo ...more
Published August 13th 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published August 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about NoSQL Distilled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NoSQL Distilled

Sergio Folgar
Jan 10, 2013 Sergio Folgar rated it liked it
The first part deals with distributed databases concepts like different consistency types, resilience, CAP and the motivation for NoSQL. Very useful reminder for less theoretical people like me.

The second part picks a sample database for each one of the different NoSQL types (key-value, column, document and graph) and explains its application with a little code sample. Each chapters ends with best and worst case scenarios for each database type.

It works as a quick survey of current NoSQL and it'
Rod Hilton
Aug 17, 2012 Rod Hilton rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
The world of NoSQL is still very young and very fresh. Most books about relational databases tend to be about a specific one, like Oracle or MySQL, and tend to deal with specific issues, such as performance or scalability but very few developers are using NoSQL solutions on such a scale as to warrant those kinds of treatments. The questions developers have about NoSQL don't call for books like "High Performance MongoDB: Optimization, Backups, and Replication", but that exact book exists for MySQ ...more
Boyan
Dec 27, 2013 Boyan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
A great overview of NoSQL databases in under 200 pages. I wish most books would cut the clutter and reach the same level of brevity, which is so easy to read.
Amar Pai
Feb 05, 2013 Amar Pai rated it liked it
Good for what it is-- a slim high level overview of NoSQL that gives you historical context and discusses key concepts like CAP theorem, distribution strategies (sharding, master/slave replication, peer to peer replication) and store types (key value, column family, document-based, graph). But, there's not much "there" there. It's all fairly abstract and intentionally doesn't get into the nitty gritty of real life use cases. I would've liked to have seen real life case studies though. You're not ...more
Kirill
Jul 08, 2012 Kirill rated it really liked it
Shelves: dropbox
Martin Fowler books are traditionally from very high quality (Pramod Sadalage is a new author for me but I could expect that he works at the same professional level). In this respect the "NoSQL Distilled" is not much different. All the most important concepts are very accurate defined and detailed described. What is the best way to design aggregates, why transactions have lost its importance, sharding, replication and consistency issues - everything is explained with precise clarity. One gets an ...more
Manu Pk
Oct 14, 2012 Manu Pk rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
The number one reason for the use of NoSQL databases is not performance and should be our use case. This means if our data model does not fit well in to the relational model, rather than twisting the data we can choose alternate data stores. This is absolutely critical if you want NoSQL to be used in most of the mid sized enterprise applications. Also companies will start to believe that they should consider NoSQL it even if they are not Google or Amazon.

When I was reading the book I thought th
Vladislav Gangan
May 28, 2015 Vladislav Gangan rated it it was amazing
A quick and concise introduction into the world of NoSQL. Explains the 4 primary types of solutions really well. Provides good fundamentals into how to reason about your data in order to make it compatible for use in NoSQL solutions. The scalability considerations are very well thought out and give enough context to apply when designing for your specific cases. Very well done - bravo to the authors.
Karthikeyan
Nov 30, 2016 Karthikeyan rated it did not like it
Very Primitive understanding of NoSQL, not all three major players are listed. I wouldn't even recommend for a beginner
Tu Hoang
Jan 19, 2017 Tu Hoang rated it it was amazing
A good book for someone who want to know why people are going to use nosql as well as the big picture of nosql world.
Maria Ines
Nov 06, 2016 Maria Ines rated it really liked it
Shelves: it
Good introduction. Lacks real world examples.
Wangyiran
Mar 31, 2015 Wangyiran rated it really liked it
chapter 2 is good for knowledge nosql benefit,but is a little complex to understand,you can read twice to feel.
the chapter 2 tell me what is aggregation model and how to model it.
chapter 3 tell me the schemaless database and the difference relational and nosql database.
chapter 4 let me know nosql distribution benefit,replication and shard.from single server to peer-to-peer.
chapter 5 is a little difficult to understand.you could get the general conception,but not deep to understand.
chapter 6 is g
Roshan Titus
Apr 15, 2015 Roshan Titus rated it really liked it
A good introductory book to the world of NoSQL databases. A quick read to understand the basic concepts of NoSQL databases like how horizontal scaling of data is achieved in NoSQL databases using aggregate data model, sharding and replication. The book also discusses how consistency and isolation is achieved in NoSQL databases. There are dedicated chapters discussing the 4 categories of NoSQL database implementations currently available. But the chapter that discuss the emerging idea of "Polyglo ...more
Giovanni
Mar 29, 2013 Giovanni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Concise but at the same time exhaustive introduction to the world of NoSQL.

The author goes gives a good insight of what NoSQL db are and why differently from other failed attempts they actually had success and at the moment their usage is always more frequent.

The author also compares NoSQL vs sql-like technologies and provide the reader with enough knowledge to decide whether or not to use NoSQL products.

The conclusion of the book, that I personally share, does not state which technology is bes
Nicholas Moryl
May 03, 2014 Nicholas Moryl rated it liked it
The thing about overviews like this is that they have to make assumptions about their audience: what it knows already and what it doesn't. There's some interesting information in here, but in some places I found it either overshot or undershot my understanding. Either that means my background knowledge is oddly constructed and this is tailored for people who learned about databases in a very different way than I did, or it could probably use some more content to bridge the gap between the basics ...more
Christophe Addinquy
Dec 31, 2012 Christophe Addinquy rated it it was ok
This is a short and quick-to-read book like Martin Fowler's UML distilled I appreciate so much. Unfortunately, this one doesn't reach its target. Too much space is dedicted to sub-important topics, whil the important ones (the discovery of the different NoSQL flavors) could take advantage of a better treatment. I mean, they deserve 2 or 3 times more space with real samples showing how we use them.
note de lecture complète en français ici
Chris Wood
Oct 21, 2012 Chris Wood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
NoSQL Distilled has provided the technical community with a much needed broad overview of non-relational schema products in a quickly digestible manner. There are many materials that individual dive deep into a specific NoSQL technology. However, none have taken such a wide swath of material to cover. Fowler and Sadalage have done a superb job of distilling the importants facets of the NoSQL movement and technologies.

For a detailed overview of the book, see my summary here: http://chrispwood.blo
James Estes
Mar 02, 2013 James Estes rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this. It gives a good perspective on NoSQL:
What it is
How it came about (ie why it was needed)
What it is/isn't good for
Some (light) examples of DBs in the space
It reads really well. I came away feeling like I'd just watched a conference talk about "What is NoSQL". Nothing too deep, but more informed about what/why/how and ready to go find out more. This was intentional (the authors said as much in the first chapter), and I think it worked well.
Travis
Mar 14, 2015 Travis rated it it was amazing
If you have ever wondered about the whole NoSQL craze, and whether or not it's even worth diving into - this book is perfect for you.

It can literally be read cover to cover on a plane ride, or over the course of a day with a cup of tea or two. The authors take each acpect of the different datastore types available within the NoSQL ecosystem, simplify their use cases, and present examples of code to illustrate the pro's and cons of each.

Highly recommended if you don't know where to start.
Dwight
Aug 26, 2014 Dwight rated it liked it
Since my career as a programmer maps the historical period that lead up to the creation of NOSQL databases and the burgeoning polyglot paradigm I didn't think I would need this book. But it did help position nosql as a solution set of concerns that anyone developing for the web today has - how to architect, scale and manage for change in a world of global deployments and endpoints with varying capabilities. Its good manager primer on the topic - now on to more hefty reading, or just coding.
Amar
Oct 09, 2016 Amar rated it really liked it
This book does a good job of explaining the need/use-cases for the NoSQL databases. A lot of different types of databases maybe could have done better with more pages, but then I guess this is in line with the intent of the book, i.e. the author wanted to more of explain to user, when should you use which databases, rather than explain how to use the database.
In short, it was a nice and fun read...
Thomas Zeeman
Oct 11, 2012 Thomas Zeeman rated it really liked it
For those who want to get an idea what the various strengths and weaknesses of the different styles of NoSQL datastores are, this is the book.
It is concise, to the point and detailed enough to get an idea when to use one or the other type, or multiple. Al this in about 200 pages.

As with any book on an emerging technology some of the examples are already a bit outdated, but that doesn't distract from the main topic.
Matteo Tomasulo
Dec 17, 2014 Matteo Tomasulo rated it liked it
Shelves: databasae
This book starts with an introduction on horizontal scalability and how databases are involved in this problematic, and how NoSql helps to solve this; on this topic CAP Theorem very well explained.
Then the book shows the different types of NoSql showing some examples and declaring pros and cons.

It was what I was looking for, a book with a wide introduction on concept, principles and terms regarding NoSql.
After this book you can choose a NoSql and than take a specific book on that one.
Rade
Sep 09, 2012 Rade rated it it was amazing
Great NoSQL introduction. If you want to enter into the NoSQL world, this is the right book. You will get overview of four different types of NoSQL databases (key/value, document, column, graph) followed by examples from one chosen db solution. You will see benefits, differences and tradeoffs between the NoSQL solution and RDBMS.
Sean Durity
Jun 12, 2013 Sean Durity rated it really liked it
I read this as preparation for learning Cassandra and found it very helpful. It classifies the various NoSQL technologies and explains the vocabulary and concepts critical to gaining a deeper understanding. This is not a technical how-to guide, but it doesn't claim to be. Great introduction for architects, developers, and DBAs coming from a relational background.
Ivo Stoykov
May 04, 2014 Ivo Stoykov rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming, computer
NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence is a good in depth overview of NoSQL databases including types and general pros and cons. Useful reading.
Eduardo Ferro
Aug 22, 2012 Eduardo Ferro rated it really liked it
It is a very instructive book, focused on giving a good overview of different technologies for NoSQL databases.
I liked it because it's very easy to read, very short, and the concepts are so well explained.
It is not a reference book, but of introduction to get a high level view of these new technologies.

It gives a good analysis of the pros and cons of each of the types of databases analyzed.
Miloš
Feb 28, 2013 Miloš rated it liked it
Some Fowler's books are split into two parts. The first one is usually an overview and usage guide and the other a repository and reference of patterns. I've always found the first part a lot more useful and this somewhat short book is like that, an overview of strengths and weaknesses of data stores beyond the common RDBMS.
Zbyszek Sokolowski
Jan 31, 2013 Zbyszek Sokolowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
This is a short but very concise and informative book as title promises. It describes most noSql technologies showing their pros and cons. Martin Flower did again great job as also second author. New kind of databases need some time to become mature as their relational counterparts. Yet polyglot persistance idea seems to be very promising.
Matthew
May 22, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
A short introduction to NoSQL branch of data storage. There is no code samples here, just a general overview of each of the NoSQL types of databases.

This was a good overview book. Anyone who is thinking about choosing a NoSQL database for their next project should read this book to get a better idea of how NoSQL fits in with the rest of the data storage world.
Barkan Saeed
Jul 08, 2015 Barkan Saeed rated it it was amazing
Great book for understanding NOSQL basic

You should read this book if you want to know the real basics of NOSQL
Gives a comparison of different types of NOSQL databases out their
Martin Fowler helps explain the NOSQL databases in a way that you can choose the right database according to your domain or if you need NOSQL Databases at all.

• Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Refactoring to Patterns (Addison Wesley Signature Series)
  • The Architecture of Open Source Applications
  • Programming in Scala
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Implementing Domain-Driven Design
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • Specification by Example
  • Object Design: Roles, Responsibilities, and Collaborations
  • Java Performance

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Pramod J. Sadalage, Principal Consultant at ThoughtWorks, enjoys the rare role of bridging the divide between database professionals and application developers. He regularly consults with clients who have particularly challenging data needs requiring new technologies and techniques. He developed pioneering techniques that allowed relational databases to be designed in an evolutionary manner based ...more
More about Pramod J. Sadalage...

“Different databases are designed to solve different problems. Using a single database engine for all of the requirements usually leads to non- performant solutions; storing transactional data, caching session information, traversing graph of customers and the products their friends bought are essentially different problems.” 1 likes
“Complex applications combine different types of problems, so picking the right language for each job may be more productive than trying to fit all aspects into a single language.” 0 likes