NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence

NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The need to handle increasingly larger data volumes is one factor driving the adoption of a new class of nonrelational "NoSQL" databases. Advocates of NoSQL databases claim they can be used to build systems that are more performant, scale better, and are easier to program." ""NoSQL Distilled" is a concise but thorough introduction to this rapidly emerging technology. Pramo...more
Published August 13th 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published August 3rd 2012)

Sergio Folgar
The first part deals with distributed databases concepts like different consistency types, resilience, CAP and the motivation for NoSQL. Very useful reminder for less theoretical people like me.

The second part picks a sample database for each one of the different NoSQL types (key-value, column, document and graph) and explains its application with a little code sample. Each chapters ends with best and worst case scenarios for each database type.

It works as a quick survey of current NoSQL and it'...more
Rod Hilton
The world of NoSQL is still very young and very fresh. Most books about relational databases tend to be about a specific one, like Oracle or MySQL, and tend to deal with specific issues, such as performance or scalability but very few developers are using NoSQL solutions on such a scale as to warrant those kinds of treatments. The questions developers have about NoSQL don't call for books like "High Performance MongoDB: Optimization, Backups, and Replication", but that exact book exists for MySQ...more
Manu Pk
The number one reason for the use of NoSQL databases is not performance and should be our use case. This means if our data model does not fit well in to the relational model, rather than twisting the data we can choose alternate data stores. This is absolutely critical if you want NoSQL to be used in most of the mid sized enterprise applications. Also companies will start to believe that they should consider NoSQL it even if they are not Google or Amazon.

When I was reading the book I thought th...more
John
I decided to read this, as a suggested introduction to non-relational data stores, for engineers on my team who are unfamiliar with the subject. While I could easily tell them what I've been told before, "Just read the 'x' paper", some people prefer a gentler introduction to a subject that keeps you from drowning in the "minutiae" of academia.

In typical Fowler fashion, he does a wonderful job at doing a breadth first approach to describing document, key-value and column-family stores. Once you'r...more
Amar Pai
Good for what it is-- a slim high level overview of NoSQL that gives you historical context and discusses key concepts like CAP theorem, distribution strategies (sharding, master/slave replication, peer to peer replication) and store types (key value, column family, document-based, graph). But, there's not much "there" there. It's all fairly abstract and intentionally doesn't get into the nitty gritty of real life use cases. I would've liked to have seen real life case studies though. You're not...more
Boyan
A great overview of NoSQL databases in under 200 pages. I wish most books would cut the clutter and reach the same level of brevity, which is so easy to read.
Kirill
Martin Fowler books are traditionally from very high quality (Pramod Sadalage is a new author for me but I could expect that he works at the same professional level). In this respect the "NoSQL Distilled" is not much different. All the most important concepts are very accurate defined and detailed described. What is the best way to design aggregates, why transactions have lost its importance, sharding, replication and consistency issues - everything is explained with precise clarity. One gets an...more
Ahmed Samy
Very good book if you want to know how things work and what is NoSql database, nothing too deep but it's very good overview and will make you able to know where to move if you got stuck.

so if you are thinking about NoSQL solution for the next project and you are not sure if it's the best choice or not, this book is for you
Luigi Berrettini
A good overview on NoSQL databases. It helps people understand the basics as well as benefits and pitfalls of this emerging technology and pros and cons of each NoSQL "subcategory".

Unfortunately after the theory a lot of hands on experience is required to master even a single specific NoSQL db.
Ivo Stoykov
NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence is a good in depth overview of NoSQL databases including types and general pros and cons. Useful reading.
Rick Strahl
Awesome overall discussion of the issues that you encounter when working with NoSql solutions. A bit abstract, but the discussions are excellent and thought provoking for somebody starting out with NoSql solutions.
Giovanni
Concise but at the same time exhaustive introduction to the world of NoSQL.

The author goes gives a good insight of what NoSQL db are and why differently from other failed attempts they actually had success and at the moment their usage is always more frequent.

The author also compares NoSQL vs sql-like technologies and provide the reader with enough knowledge to decide whether or not to use NoSQL products.

The conclusion of the book, that I personally share, does not state which technology is bes...more
Chris Wood
NoSQL Distilled has provided the technical community with a much needed broad overview of non-relational schema products in a quickly digestible manner. There are many materials that individual dive deep into a specific NoSQL technology. However, none have taken such a wide swath of material to cover. Fowler and Sadalage have done a superb job of distilling the importants facets of the NoSQL movement and technologies.

For a detailed overview of the book, see my summary here: http://chrispwood.blo...more
Christophe Addinquy
This is a short and quick-to-read book like Martin Fowler's UML distilled I appreciate so much. Unfortunately, this one doesn't reach its target. Too much space is dedicted to sub-important topics, whil the important ones (the discovery of the different NoSQL flavors) could take advantage of a better treatment. I mean, they deserve 2 or 3 times more space with real samples showing how we use them.
note de lecture complète en français ici
Aaron
survey-level, will be dated soon?
James Estes
I enjoyed reading this. It gives a good perspective on NoSQL:
What it is
How it came about (ie why it was needed)
What it is/isn't good for
Some (light) examples of DBs in the space
It reads really well. I came away feeling like I'd just watched a conference talk about "What is NoSQL". Nothing too deep, but more informed about what/why/how and ready to go find out more. This was intentional (the authors said as much in the first chapter), and I think it worked well.
Vahid
If you need a "Solid" foundation on NoSQL world, I do recommend to start with this book.
Without going to much deep in each technology, it technically describes four major Pattern in NoSQL world (Key/Vale - Document - Graph - Column) in a perfect manner.
Once you finish this book, you'll have a concrete understanding about how to mix or design your platform to excel the best of Relational and non-relational database design patterns.
Thomas Zeeman
For those who want to get an idea what the various strengths and weaknesses of the different styles of NoSQL datastores are, this is the book.
It is concise, to the point and detailed enough to get an idea when to use one or the other type, or multiple. Al this in about 200 pages.

As with any book on an emerging technology some of the examples are already a bit outdated, but that doesn't distract from the main topic.
Vladislav Gangan
A quick and concise introduction into the world of NoSQL. Explains the 4 primary types of solutions really well. Provides good fundamentals into how to reason about your data in order to make it compatible for use in NoSQL solutions. The scalability considerations are very well thought out and give enough context to apply when designing for your specific cases. Very well done - bravo to the authors.
Eduardo Ferro
It is a very instructive book, focused on giving a good overview of different technologies for NoSQL databases.
I liked it because it's very easy to read, very short, and the concepts are so well explained.
It is not a reference book, but of introduction to get a high level view of these new technologies.

It gives a good analysis of the pros and cons of each of the types of databases analyzed.
Kevin Bheda
the book serves it purpose of giving intro to nosql
Matthew
A short introduction to NoSQL branch of data storage. There is no code samples here, just a general overview of each of the NoSQL types of databases.

This was a good overview book. Anyone who is thinking about choosing a NoSQL database for their next project should read this book to get a better idea of how NoSQL fits in with the rest of the data storage world.
Sean Durity
I read this as preparation for learning Cassandra and found it very helpful. It classifies the various NoSQL technologies and explains the vocabulary and concepts critical to gaining a deeper understanding. This is not a technical how-to guide, but it doesn't claim to be. Great introduction for architects, developers, and DBAs coming from a relational background.
Zbyszek Sokolowski
This is a short but very concise and informative book as title promises. It describes most noSql technologies showing their pros and cons. Martin Flower did again great job as also second author. New kind of databases need some time to become mature as their relational counterparts. Yet polyglot persistance idea seems to be very promising.
Rade
Great NoSQL introduction. If you want to enter into the NoSQL world, this is the right book. You will get overview of four different types of NoSQL databases (key/value, document, column, graph) followed by examples from one chosen db solution. You will see benefits, differences and tradeoffs between the NoSQL solution and RDBMS.
Miloš
Some Fowler's books are split into two parts. The first one is usually an overview and usage guide and the other a repository and reference of patterns. I've always found the first part a lot more useful and this somewhat short book is like that, an overview of strengths and weaknesses of data stores beyond the common RDBMS.
Mark
The book provides a brief overview of various NoSQL databases. There is no depth at all. But it does give you an idea of cases where you'd use a certain database type and when you wouldn't. After that, you'll have to find a better reference to get the details of the one you intend to use.
Peter Peerdeman
Very complete and honest book about currently available NoSQL technology. Contains a lot of cases when it would be wise or unwise to switch from relational databases and what the consequences would be in each case. Well written!
Brian King
This is a quick read, and it is so intentionally on the part of the authors. A concise and easy to understand view of the new technologies is provided without making any overly grand statements about the future of persistence.
Rejeev Divakaran
Covers the NoSQL landscape particularly features and use cases. However it doesn't cover the architecture and storage mechanisms of them. In general one of the best books available on NoSQL databases.
  • Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation (Addison-Wesley Signature)
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Implementing Domain-Driven Design
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Implementation Patterns
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions (Addison-Wesley Signature)
  • Functional JavaScript: Introducing Functional Programming with Underscore.js
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Specification by Example
  • Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art
  • Programming in Scala
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code (Addison Wesley Signature)
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Spring in Action

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Recipes for Continuous Database Integration Recipes for Continuous Database Integration: Evolutionary Database Development (Digital Short Cut) NoSQL Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Emerging World of Polyglot Persistence Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design (Addison-Wesley Signature)