Start by marking “Whoa, My Boss Is Naked...: A Career Book for People Who Would Never Be Caught Dead Reading a Career Book” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  39 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A hilarious yet savvy career guide for the generation that grew up with remote controls in their hands. (Who knew that you could learn so much about work from American Idol, Anchorman, and Entourage?)

In Whoa, My Boss Is Naked!, strategy consultant (and twentysomething) Jake Greene uses pop-culture references from the ’80s, the ’90s, and today to school young professionals
Published January 22nd 2008 by Crown Business (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Whoa, My Boss Is Naked..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whoa, My Boss Is Naked...

Surfergirl
Oct 31, 2008 Surfergirl rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
I couldn't even get through this book. The author tries to be hip and trendy by frequently referencing pop culture, but the references don't work to further the points. It feels like the references are more important to him than communicating anything meaningful.

One chapter about Desperate Housewives is intended to communicate that it "takes time to land a star-making role". Cute idea, but very poorly executed... almost like he thought, "how can I work Desperate Housewives into this book?" and t
Jessica
Nov 18, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
It's refreshing to hear career tips that sound more casual and realistic than scouring the advice at monster.com about 'how to improve your resume' and the like. And where the pop culture references were helpful in a reflective kind of way, and created an entertaining ambiance, I more enjoyed the spots where I found a bridge between my good and poor behaviors in my own workplace via these characters and could see more clearly where I was being 'Toolish' and needed a change. Thanks for the recomm ...more
Ellie
Mar 04, 2008 Ellie added it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been laughing out loud ever since I started this book. It's a fun read thus far with tons of pop-culture references & some very witty commentary on how to succeed in the work place. I'm enjoying it thoroughly thus far!
Mike
Jul 18, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing
This book is a lot better than that "Parachute' one. This book is a lot of pop culture references and I recommend this book to anyone that has watched as many television shows and movies as I have.
Ashley
The good: Unlike most career-oriented books out there, this one was written in an engaging and humorous tone and replete with pop culture references from the 80's and 90's. Greene also managed to work in words like "douchebag" and "toolish" on a fairly regularly basis. He's also a definite smartass, which I can appreciate.

The bad: While I was entertained while reading the book, the pop culture references were what stand out in my mind, not the actual career advice, which was the whole point of
Lisse
Jun 20, 2008 Lisse rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: new grad's
This would be a really good book for someone just entering the working world, especially the for-profit working world. I've been in non-profit work for 4 years now and all of his advice was old news to me, but he was so entertaining with it that I continued to read the book. I am a big 80's fan and a lot of his references are from that era, which was a lot of fun for me. If you've been in the working world for more than three or four years this book is probably not what you are looking for in te ...more
Debbie Hoskins
Oct 27, 2016 Debbie Hoskins rated it really liked it
Shelves: daily-bread
I recommend this book because it has a couple of things in it that I have found helpful. I skimmed it in the library back in 2008. I have not read the whole thing.
It said that if you play solitaire your career will go nowhere. Since my library withdrew it, I think it's dated, obviously by the solitaire comment. But I'm sure you know your own time wasters.
I loved the descriptions of types of employees. I only remember the ones that pertain to me, but there are ones that would pertain to you.
A** k
Ben
Nov 03, 2007 Ben rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes funny reads that can improve your life
Just a great book overall. I picked it up to skim through it and before I knew it I was 30 pages in and laughing the whole way. It is full of tons of nuggets of career wisdom but you pick them up without even noticing. It is fast paced and a ton of fun.

If anyone is interested in finding the dream job, or just making their job work better for them, this is a fantastic book in every way. I highly recommend it.
Amanda
Jan 25, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: college grads/anyone looking for a boost at work
Recommended to Amanda by: Jake Greene
This book was too funny! The pop culture references are great and make alot of sense. I wasn't sure if I would get anything out of it as my job isn't so much a corporate type position, nor am I just starting out in the working world, but I did find alot of helpful information and good tips for office interaction.

A quick read but a book worth picking up!
Ann-haley
Jan 22, 2008 Ann-haley rated it really liked it
I know that you think I am really biased as this is one of my friends. Truthfully though, I do not laugh at loud at books or movies, and I did with this book. The way Jake brings back memories of My So-Called Life (showing on ABC right now), MMMM-Bop, and Swingers is ingenious. Let me know what you think.
Shira Karp
Jul 02, 2008 Shira Karp rated it really liked it
This was an easy read, which I didn't know was possible for a career guide. I felt I already knew a lot of stuff in it from my experiences but to a complete noob to the job hunt this book would b both very helpful and very entertaining.
Sonia
Nov 25, 2007 Sonia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys witty, sound advice and/or anyone looking for career tips
Smart, witty, and blunt. Full of hysterical puns and pop culture references while at the same time providing priceless tips on how to succeed in the workplace. It is full of the advice I've heard my parents repeat over and over, but was too stubborn or impatient to take to heart.
Randy Dineen
Feb 15, 2008 Randy Dineen rated it liked it
We have alot of "Career Guides" in our office, but this is a new one. I consider it a pop-culture career book; the author uses metaphors to describe different aspects of career building (most references are from 80's and 90's movies, which is pretty sweet).

Francesca Brown
Aug 02, 2011 Francesca Brown rated it it was ok
This book does an outstanding job of taking America's obsession with pop culture and putting it to good use. I highly recommend this book to everyone looking for practical advice about what it takes to survive in the workforce!
Kean Meyer
Kean Meyer rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2007
Cliff Greene
Cliff Greene rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2007
Higgz
Higgz rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Cara Epstein
Cara Epstein rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2007
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2007
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2007
Marcy
Marcy rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2009
Karyn
Karyn rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2008
Sandy Epstein
Sandy Epstein rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2008
MReza
MReza rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2007
Julie
Julie added it
Nov 26, 2007
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2008
Andrienne
Andrienne rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2008
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2008
Drew
Drew rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2008
Uy Do
Uy Do rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
I had to laugh 2 10 Jan 23, 2008 07:37AM
"In his witty debut, marketing consultant Greene offers sound and entertaining advice to 20-somethings on the job market.... Enlivening his wide-ranging advice with comical pop culture references from the ’80s to today, Greene organizes the guide in quick, attention-grabbing chapters that can be easily read during commercial breaks.... This refreshing take on the job search guide for recent grads ...more
More about Jake Greene...