Start by marking “Cosmic Adventure: More Secrets from the Night Sky” as Want to Read:
Cosmic Adventure: More Secrets from the Night Sky

Cosmic Adventure: More Secrets from the Night Sky

Have you ever wondered what happened before the Big Bang, or how we would colonize Mars, or what an alien invasion might really be like? Astronomer Bob Berman has, and in Cosmic Adventure, a collection of twenty-six profound to outrageous essays, he takes readers on a mind-bending tour of the universe, including our own planet Earth. From the most extraordinary cosmic phen ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Quill (first published November 4th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Cosmic Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cosmic Adventure

Pamela
Nov 30, 2015 Pamela rated it really liked it
Wonderful book about the cosmos,from galaxies and black holes to even more exotic objects. Berman also offers a look at more familiar territory and a kind look at human nature. He sometimes inserts encouraging observations: "a sad interlude often leads to happy finales, destructive novas generate star birth." And,"if something is infinite , then no finite amount of screwing up can do real damage."

Messier,searching for comets, became exasperated and made a list of annoying objects that interfered
jaccimae
Aug 09, 2007 jaccimae rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those that respect astronomy and often wonder
Incredible read....and to think there exists a person who actually believed they could buy the sun! Anyone intereested in naming a star? When I met Bob Berman he captured me and all other thoughts, troubled as they were, seem to disappear for awhile. I will always treasure what he wrote for me.."With wishes for clear skies". I do believe better days are in store for me and my loved ones.
Jim
Nov 13, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it
I've been reading Bob Berman's columns in Astronomy Magazine for years now. He has a gift for looking at everyday occurances from a new perspective, and making them incredibly interesting. He has applied that skill to this book. I have more than a layman's knowledge of Astronomy, but I learned something new on every page.
Bull Durham
Sep 20, 2016 Bull Durham rated it did not like it
Held some promise as a source for deeper understanding of the cosmos but wandered into his politics and bullsh*t, which distracted me. About 20% of his chapters were nuggets, the rest very light weight, superficial
Rachel
Dec 29, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very engaging and informative. Teaches you the part of astronomy that you get in school unless you take a specialized class.
Joyce
Apr 11, 2013 Joyce rated it really liked it
really enjoy this author
Rita
Sep 17, 2007 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Yay space! Although I didn't understand all of it, this was fun and interesting. It's written in short, independent chapters melding scientific tidbits and the author's personal life history.
John Donnelly
John Donnelly rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2008
Dave Zebian
Dave Zebian rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
W. P.
W. P. rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Brian Blazovic
Brian Blazovic rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2014
Ben Hayward
Ben Hayward rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
David Webber
David Webber rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
MJ
MJ rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Donald Davis
Donald Davis rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
David Webber
David Webber rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Arthur
Arthur rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2009
DAVID HENSLEY
DAVID HENSLEY rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Michael Frost
Michael Frost rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Deep
Deep rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2009
tracie covert
tracie covert rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
Sean Marien
Sean Marien rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Space Beagle
Space Beagle rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Karl
Karl rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Bob Berman is one of America's top astronomy writers. For many years, he wrote the popular "Night Watchman" column for Discover magazine. He is currently a columnist for Astronomy magazine and a host on NPR's Northeast Public Radio, and he is the science editor of the Old Farmer's Almanac.
More about Bob Berman...