Start by marking “Death in the Delta: Uncovering a Mississippi Family Secret” as Want to Read:
Death in the Delta: Uncovering a Mississippi Family Secret

Death in the Delta: Uncovering a Mississippi Family Secret

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Growing up, Molly Walling could not fathom the source of the dark and intense discomfort in her family home. Then in 2006 she discovered her father's complicity in the murder of two black men on December 12, 1946, in Anguilla, deep in the Mississippi Delta. "Death in the Delta" tells the story of one woman's search for the truth behind a closely held, sixty-year old family ...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by University Press of Mississippi (first published August 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Death in the Delta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in the Delta

Jeremiah Bookworm
The premise--that Walling's father was involved in the shooting deaths of two black men in the 1940s and was not indicted by an all-white grand jury--is fascinating and would have made a good story had more information surfaced. Reading about the dead-end leads, conflicting versions of history that cannot be confirmed, and family members who won't reveal what they know is as frustrating as Walling's search was. While the anecdotes from Walling's childhood are fascinating, they are not woven into ...more
Eustacia Tan
Contrary to the impression the title gives, this isn't actually a mystery story. Rather, it's partly a family biography, partly an autobiography (or at least, a personal account) and partly a musing on racial tensions in the South.

Death in the Delta follows the authoress as she tries to uncover the truth behind a family secret - that of her dad killing a black man when she was a child and walking away scot-free. The structure of the book follows her search, but at times delves into the past (her
Caitlin
I read this memoir because it was published as a part of the University Press of Mississippi's Willie Morris Books in Memoir and Biography. Willie Morris, particularly his book North Toward Home, has had a huge influence on my own unravelling of what it means to be white and Southern. Death in the Delta is one woman's story of trying to shed light on a family secret, but also of attempting to understand what her heritage has meant for her and her own identity.

Obviously, Ms. Walling's investigati
Elizabeth
What would you do if you were from a prominent white Mississippi family and found out in 2006 that your father had been accused of murdering two black men in 1946 in the delta region of Mississippi, with charges quickly dropped?

And what if no one in your family, including your elderly mother, would help you learn the truth? What if, in fact, most of them stonewalled you at every turn and tried to shame you into stopping your research?

And what if the evidence you turned up cast a shadow over som
Arlena

Author: Molly Walling
Published By: University Press of Mississippi
Age Recommend: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Raven Rating: 4

Review:

"Death in the Delta: Uncovering a Mississippi family Secret" by Molly Walling was indeed some interesting read. This author upon acquiring information that her father had killed a black man back in 1946 in Anguilla, deep in the Mississippi Delta and it seems that her Dad got away with this 'scot-free.' Now Ms. Walling was talking to different people over what and ho
Naomi
I loved this book about "open" family secrets, its' effects the author's family longterm and the author playing detective to figure it all out. Like most stories of the period and location (US South, pre-civil rights era..need I say more?), it is head shaking unbelievable. I loved how the author brought in multiple perspectives into her book instead of it just simply being a memoir, although that would have been pretty bizarre too.
Karen Tessier
Brave and heart-wrenching, Molly Walling's story is a page-turner. She challenges us to look back, over our shoulders, to understand that some of the things that shape us are not of our own making. Rather, we emerge from forces - both personal and cultural - that may lie unsettled and affecting in the vault of a family's private life.
Debbie
Her search for the truth was interesting to say the least. I did think much of her family was still stuck in the past. All in all, a good read. But, you may have to have been reared in the Mississippi Delta to fully understand. I was and I understood.
Alison
My aunt is the author. And as this book is about my family, I'm hardly an objective reviewer. But it's a pretty good read.
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Ldbooks
Ldbooks marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Alexandra Harmon
Alexandra Harmon marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Regina Mahaney
Regina Mahaney marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Ariana
Ariana marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Janice Tracy
Janice Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Joelyn
Joelyn marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Tamara The Fantastic
Tamara The Fantastic marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Mary Furlow
Mary Furlow marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013