Start by marking “Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar” as Want to Read:
Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar

Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,021 Ratings  ·  712 Reviews
From her beginnings as a wunderkind producer of pirated stage productions for six-year-olds, through her spirited adventures watching self-satisfying monkeys, throwing up on Chinese food deliverymen, and stalking Leo DiCaprio, here are the goofy highs and horrifying lows of life as Kelly Oxford.
Published April 2nd 2013 by It Books (first published August 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar

Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingDad Is Fat by Jim GaffiganYes Please by Amy PoehlerBorn Standing Up by Steve Martin
Books by Comics
17th out of 103 books — 122 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingLove, Nina by Nina StibbeBonkers by Jennifer SaundersPenguins with People Problems by Mary Laura Philpott
Funny Ladies
21st out of 30 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
Dec 10, 2014 karen rated it liked it
never send a pretty lady to do a funny lady's job...

which is only a little unfair. because her tweets, upon which she built her following and fame, are really funny. or at least the ones in the publisher-issued promotional material stuck in this book are - i am not someone who is super-savvy when it comes to twitter or the rest of those online spaces that have given us such internet celebrities as allie brosh, jenny lawson, grumpy cat, or lang leav.

-How do you get red wine stains off a baby?

-We
Dec 04, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it
You know how you want to love something but in the end you think this is narcissistic crap, well my friends this is how it was for me. And I never thought I would start a review with a quote from Sarah Silverman (she is not a favorite of mine either but I have come to love her for this quote):

"I don't really care for like fat jokes about women, specifically," she said.
"Because I feel that we live in a society where fat men deserve love, and fat women do not deserve love -- at least in white Amer
Brittany
Apr 06, 2013 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
From the introduction, its clear she had no direction or goal for this book. We don't journey and grow with her. There aren't big life lessons we bond over. Not always a bad thing, but now you know to expect a series of essays on unique periods of her life.

There were several issues I had with the writing. Instead of painting a picture of the people in the story, she always used similes with late 80's films and sitcoms that I can barely remember. The jokes seemed angled to people that already kne
Suzy Soro
Apr 20, 2013 Suzy Soro rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book so much. Kelly's tumblr is so funny, funnier than her tweets even. But how interesting a life have you had if you met your husband at 19, had 3 kids, and every "adventure" is something ho-hum that doesn't warrant an entire chapter? Not very.

The endless compliments she gives herself gets old fast. That she's married to a wealthy man gets old fast as well. And at 33, to mention over and over and OVER that you're old is proof that her body may be aging forward but her br
Maryanne Birksted
Apr 23, 2013 Maryanne Birksted rated it liked it
I was a Kelly Oxford fan before reading this book. There were some lines in this book, especially from the stories about her childhood, that were hilarious. The essays are disjointed, but that's ok - we are only getting short vignettes about her life, which, I think, make the title a joke on us. The essays are both exaggerated/crass, and reticent so that at the end of the book she seems pretty close perfect because it is 1. Only what she has chosen to tell us and 2. the quirks that make people i ...more
Neil
May 06, 2013 Neil rated it it was ok
it's no Bossypants.
Karly
Dec 04, 2013 Karly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-people
Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar is probably one of the best biographies (collection of essays?) I've ever read. It will probably be compared to Bossypants or Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? but only because our dummy brains have to put this book in a category we can all understand. But Everything is Perfect... is different because, as Kelly Oxford says several times, she is a terrible person, but only in the way that EVERYONE is terrible. That's what makes her so damn funny. Chapter ...more
Wendy
Apr 13, 2013 Wendy rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Wisecracks, shenanigans overpowering

Alberta Twitter sensation Kelly Oxford's debut book, a collection of autobiographical essays, is broadly about taking risks and embracing the imperfection in life.

"A lot of my life sounds like a lie because ... I do a lot of weird and stupid things," she tells her children in the book's introduction.

Far from being unbelievable, though, most of the situations the essays describe are relatively mundane.

As a pre-teen in Edmonton she takes a job as a dishwasher fo
Stephanie
Apr 07, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was ok
I'm pretty sure 90% of this book is bullshit. And it's not even funny enough to make it worthwhile.
Emily
Jan 20, 2016 Emily rated it it was ok
I'm really torn between 2 and 3 stars. I have followed Kelly Oxford for about three years on Tumblr and Twitter. I often laugh at her tweets, and her long reads on Tumblr are intriguing (personal favorites include How to Buy a Gun in Canada and Other Rational Things and An Open Letter to the Nurse....etc, the latter of which is in this book). Unfortunately, her blog and tweets don't transfer over to a book as well as I'd hoped.
Some of the childhood vignettes were funny but seemed drawn out. Kel
Harpercollins Canada
Apr 29, 2013 Harpercollins Canada rated it it was amazing
It’s Thursday night. My husband glances over at me as I sit reading.

“Everything is Perfect When You’re a Liar?” he reads from the front cover of my book, “What exactly are you learning about?” he asks, accusingly.

“It’s the new book by Kelly Oxford,” I giggle and turn the page. “Don’t worry; it’s actually about telling it like it is. You know, not sugar coating things.”

“Who’s Kelly Oxford?” my husband asks, innocently. I gasp and reluctantly put my book down: this requires action.

I spend the next
Caddiewoodlawn
May 02, 2013 Caddiewoodlawn rated it it was ok
I Was Expecting A Female David Sedaris

Went into this book with a certain level of expectation. I think Kelly's twitter and tumblr accounts are unparalleled funny. Definitely some brilliant flash non-fiction.

This book, on the other hand, didn't make me laugh out loud once. Which is what I was expecting and sincerely wishing for, as a lot of reviewers mention reflexive reactions upon reading this book. A lot of the essays had one funny story line that did not really connect or remain interesting f
Kathleen O'Grady
Jun 04, 2013 Kathleen O'Grady rated it it was ok
Kelly Oxford is one of my favourite twitter accounts. She's outrageous, funny and sharp as hell, so you could say I was expecting a lot from this book. I was greatly disappointed.

I found the book to be trite, selfish, irritatingly superficial and, worst sin of all, largely unfunny.

Yes, she still has the occasionaly 1-line zingers that work so well on twitter (and likely in her sit-com sketches) but she just doesn't have the goods for a full book.

The personal essays that run chronologically are,
Renee
Apr 07, 2013 Renee rated it it was ok
Shelves: randomchoice, memoir
I've followed her on twitter and instagram for some time, so I was excited to learn more about her life. And that's not what this book really offered. It chose a handful of random experiences and tried to draw them out into something longer than it needed to be each time. The stories just weren't that entertaining. The only one that felt like it showed some heart was the story about her taking care of old people for a week or two when she panicked after having her first child that she might have ...more
Jheart
Apr 15, 2013 Jheart rated it did not like it
This woman is depressingly self-absorbed and dead-pool shallow. I want to remove her children from her home so they won't be exposed to anymore of her immature sexual vulgarity. I could find NOTHING clever about any of the boorishness that dropped from her brain, nothing enlightening, nothing instructive. She bobs from one meaningless episode to another like a wood chip on a wave. She made no effort to write well with plenty of cornball adverbs and comparisons she must have plagiarized from her ...more
Margaret
Apr 08, 2013 Margaret rated it did not like it
I am so disappointed in you Oxford!

I love her tweets, her essays on tumblr, I had such high hopes. I didn't laugh during any part of this. I have read the books by handler, fey, and kaling and this didn't even come close with humor, wit, or sincerity. She has a chapter about being an OT assistant working in geriatrics and people with TBI that chapter had some depth but that was about it. So bummed about this because I think Kelly's great not sure why it didn't show in the book
Miranda L Visser
Jul 03, 2013 Miranda L Visser rated it it was ok
The thing about someone being proud of being an asshole: They're not very fun to read about. Started off so good, after all a child being like that is amusing, but as an adult? It's just immaturity.
Michael
Before I started listening Everything Is Perfect When You're a Liar, I had no idea who Kelly Oxford was. I was drawn into the (audio) book by the title and that I like to listen to memoirs while working out (in this case swimming laps) since if I get distracted for a moment, I won't necessarily miss a crucial detail that plays a huge role in the resolution of the story.

After spending several hours with Kelly, I have to say that it's highly unlikely we'd be friends. Or that I'd even be one of the
Arlene
Sep 11, 2013 Arlene rated it it was ok
This book made me feel like an old fuss-budget. I just can't relate.

Don't get me wrong—it's not a bad book. It's exactly the right book for many people; it's just not the right book for me.

As a precocious six-year-old, Kelly Oxford dreamed big and ordered people around. I was so timidly shy as a child I wanted to meld into the book shelf at the back of the classroom and disappear. I just can't relate.

A teenaged Kelly Oxford looked like Kate Moss and she could eat all the McDonald's food she want
Emily Hochhalter
Mar 14, 2014 Emily Hochhalter rated it it was ok
Ultimately, this author won me over. But, for much of the book, I was having flashbacks to when I used to babysit and the kid would pull out all of her toys one by one and lay them out on the living room floor. Which is to say, there was a lot of unsubtle showing off.

In my opinion, the title suggests a tone that is in no way supported by the content of the book, and I think that is where some of my disappointment is rooted. I guess I was looking forward to something more relatable and less self
Clementine
Apr 02, 2013 Clementine rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, humor, 2012, edelweiss
Kelly Oxford rose to fame on Twitter with her pithy, clever updates. In this funny memoir, she shares more of her personal stories. Essay topics range from her experiences as a precocious child growing up in suburban Canada to her experiences as a mother.

The stories present in Oxford’s book are loosely chronological, starting with her precocious childhood (these stories are often gratingly obnoxoious) and moving into her young adulthood. The book also deals with Oxford’s experiences with parenth
Kara
MAYBE I would have enjoyed this if I hadn't tried it on audiobook. Maybe Oxford's attempt at voices and accents really ruined it for me--I guess I won't know.

Listening to this made me really dislike Oxford as a person. She's lazy, conceited, and a little xenophobic. (Seriously, there was a part in the book where she mentions that it's weird that a white guy is friends with all Asians, and that's certainly not the worst thing about race that she says.)

I gave it two instead of one star because she
Mischaella Foley
Dec 28, 2013 Mischaella Foley rated it it was ok
Ok. She is a HILARIOUS writer. For sure. I totally want to hang out with her...BUT this book isn't great. It is a lot of fluff that is sometimes witty. It is a wonder that she has turned so little substance into actual words, though. And hey, it is entertaining if you can get past the lack of plot, name-dropping, and annoying preoccupation with her looks. I'm disappointed that she is such a good writer & that this book is so shallow.
Marjolein
Apr 15, 2013 Marjolein rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
So I only got this book because it was a $2.99 Kindle deal and I wanted something "light" to read... And yes I laughed a few times at her tweets, so I thought it would be good, but besides her sometimes awesome timing which definitely made me smile a few times, I don't think it's worth the high praise it's getting from most people here. It's a little tedious after a while and she takes some stuff way too far for my taste...
Rosanne
Sep 06, 2013 Rosanne rated it did not like it
This one proves there is more to writing a book than being a blogger/twitter celeb. Quite repetitive and just not very funny, not sure if the white privilege that his so obvious from her stories is on purpose or not. There is an attempt at self-depreciation type humour that just felt like false modesty.
Allison (Crazy Something Maybe Reviews)
This was just OK. I really liked the beginning. Kelly Oxford was an insane child and the stories are pretty entertaining.

Once she hits her late teens/early twenties, I started to feel like she was stretching the truth a little bit too much. The stories became more and more ridiculous until they were really unbelievable.

The very last essay- about the family trip to Disneyland- I found absolutely hilarious. It was definitely my favorite. Every self-respecting Floridan knows you don't go to Disne
greebs
Jan 28, 2015 greebs rated it really liked it
Like lots of folks on Twitter, I follow Kelly Oxford . So when I saw that Edelweiss was offering an Advance Reading Copy of her book, Everything is Perfect When You're A Liar, I requested it ... with more than a little trepidation. Turns out, I shouldn't have been nervous - it's a really good, interesting read.

The reason Oxford has about 430,000 followers on Twitter is that she's funny. Often very funny - and has gotten the attention of some pretty famous folks who retweet her. I know I found h
Amelia Chameleon
Dec 10, 2013 Amelia Chameleon rated it it was ok
Amazon has been recommending this book to me since before it was released (well done, publishers!) and I've stayed away, mainly because I find Oxford funny, but not $27 funny, you know? The ebook was recently dropped to $2.99, so I said what the heck and bought it. Was it worth $3? Eh...

Okay, I know no matter what I say, somebody will call me a hater. But the truth is that there just isn't much to this book. Oxford came to prominence as a Twitter celebrity (whatever that means) and while I thin
Daniel Shields
Apr 12, 2013 Daniel Shields rated it liked it
I'm going to be a hard-ass here. Kelly Oxford is hilarious and I found parts of this book more amusing than my average reading material by a long-shot. I laughed at some parts something fierce, and some parts I well didn't.

This book wasn't an autobiography per-say as more of a mash up of funny stories in some attempt at being in a comprehensive order. The reviews made me believe this would be a non stop laugh track, and well, while it was funny, I was underwhelmed, in some cases her humor is be
Paul
Apr 06, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it
This is a hilarious, profane, sometimes crude and wildly imaginative memoir of critically funny/humiliating moments in the author's life. Some memorable passages:

"David Copperfield's assistant Stacy is standing beside the fountain. I know it's Stacy because she's the only woman by the fountain without a feather boa, a necklace with a tiny penis on it, glitter, or a two-foot-tall beverage cup."

"The first time I thought about how beautiful Osama Bin Laden's eyes were was in the middle of the nigh
  • Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage.
  • The Alcoholic Bitch Who Ruined Your Life: Stories About Love, Death and Rehab
  • On My Knees: A Memoir
  • I Can Barely Take Care of Myself: Tales From a Happy Life Without Kids
  • I Like You Just the Way I Am: Stories About Me and Some Other People
  • Yokohama Threeway: And Other Small Shames
  • Confessions of a Fairy's Daughter: Growing Up with a Gay Dad
  • Don't Worry, It Gets Worse: One Twentysomething's (Mostly Failed) Attempts at Adulthood
  • The Merry Recluse: A Life in Essays
  • If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother
  • Screw Everyone: Sleeping My Way to Monogamy
  • The Long Journey Home: A Memoir
  • Night Terrors: Sex, Dating, Puberty, and Other Alarming Things
  • Turn Around Bright Eyes: The Rituals of Love & Karaoke
  • Someone Could Get Hurt: A Memoir of Twenty-First-Century Parenthood
  • Man Repeller: Seeking Love. Finding Overalls.
  • Everything About Me Is Fake... and I'm Perfect
  • My Foot Is Too Big for the Glass Slipper: A Guide to the Less Than Perfect Life

“I had weaseled my way into their hearts like I knew I would.” 5 likes
“I wasn’t old enough to realize that I could be my terrible self and have people love me for that.” 5 likes