Start by marking “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Read Book* *Different edition

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  460,072 ratings  ·  5,247 reviews
A consummate prankster with a quick wit, Tom Sawyer dreams of a bigger fate than simply being a “rich boy.” Yet through the novel’s humorous escapades—from the famous episode of the whitewashed fence to the trial of Injun Joe—Mark Twain explores the deeper themes of the adult world, one of dishonesty and superstition, murder and revenge, starvation and slavery.
Audiobook, Digital Download, Unabridged
Published March 31st 2008 by Tantor Media (first published 1876)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, please sign up.

»jαу You can download the kindle version for free on Amazon!

Nataliya
I was five and a half years old when my mother gave me The Adventures of Tom Sawyer as a New Year's gift (she is a literature teacher, and I have been reading novels since the tender age of four or so, and so it seemed appropriate).

Being a diligent and serious child (neither of those qualities have stuck with me, unfortunately), I opened it to page 1 and started reading. I even took it with me to kindergarten, where other kids were learning letters and I was mercifully allowed to read hefty tome
Doug
My all-time favorite work of fiction. I usually read this every summer.

As a fourth grader I read this book and took it very seriously. It was my dream to build a raft and go adventuring. Actually I did build the raft, but there was not enough water in the creek.

My other great ambition was to come marching into my own funeral. I still think that would be fun.

When I read about Tom taking a licking for Becky Thatcher in school and sharing his cake with her in the cave, I thought that was incredibl
Evgeny
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try to pleasantly remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.

Samuel Langhorne Clemens aka Mark Twain

The above quote comes straight from the preface of the book and I really cannot add anything else to it; I would not dare
K.D. Absolutely
This coming of age novel is an important American classic because:
1) It is the precursor for the bigger and more important Mark Twain novel, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

2) It is a historical fiction giving readers a glimpse of the laid back town's life in the mid to late 19th century. The town is called St. Petersburg that is based on Hannibal, Missouri, the hometown of Mark Twain. This book is basically a satire of the customs and superstitions that Americans practiced and believed durin
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Great American Con.
Shelves: fiction
There's not much that can be said about this book by a hack like me that would do it justice. Mark Twain was the first American writer to figure out how to turn the American vernacular into art, and he was the first historian to document how we talked. He also was a visionary who saw the problems of race and the problem racism would be in the future, and he tried to warn the future the only way he knew how: by writing about it then. He was gutsy and he was talented and he was hilarious, and this ...more
j
Nov 24, 2010 j rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to j by: Fisher Price
As a child, nothing terrified me more than being lost. My parents found this hilarious. Every time we went on a road trip, my dad would wait a few hours and then start moaning that we had somehow gotten lost. "We're looost! We're looost!" he would wail, and in the backseat I would immediately start bawling. My vivid memories of this suggest that the fear grabbed me long after I should have been old enough to realize that a little kid can't really be lost while with his parents, let alone that yo ...more
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

T, is for Twain.

3.5 Stars

If you have ever been a young girl you have learned one unavoidable fact; boys are the worst! They are self-absorbed, morbid and cruel. They'll call you names, pull on your hair and treat you entirely like crap....

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer revolves around, surprise, a young troublemaker named Tom. To my way of thinking Tom is a fairly good example of the average youngster. While his adventures may be grander than most, his selfishness and lack of compassion is not.
Teri
I truly feel that if Tom Sawyer were ever a real person, there is not one single method of torture that he could endure that would satisfy how much I want to see this person suffer. All I know is that death would be too kind. Tom Sawyer is a bully. He is insufferably mischievous for no good reason, and the only act(s) of heroism he manages to pull off are to fulfill his own selfish motivations. He has absolutely no value to humankind. He is a conviction character with no arc and no personal grow ...more
Amir Lewiz

__________________________

توم الولد الذكي الشقي الذي لا يطيع أوامر و نصائح الخالة بولي ولا أستاذه
وطالما تسبب ذلك في متاعب عديدة لهم ؛
مما كان يضطر خالته طيبة القلب لمعاقبته،

أما استاذه فلا يفكر مرتين قبل أن يعاقبه بقسوة.

لكن هذا الذكي الفنان عرف في احدي المرات كيف ينجو من عقاب خالته
Natalie Monroe
Three things I've learned from reading Tom Sawyer:

1. Marbles are an acceptable form of currency. So provided I didn't throw out my set when I moved, I'm rich and can whitewash as many fences as I want.

2. Boys are dicks to the girls they like.

This is a lie.

This is the more likely scenario.

3. Books read better when you're not being forced to read them.

Next on my required reading list is The Great Gatsby. Mother have mercy...
Antonio

Creo 3.5 estaria mejor pero como Goodreads tiene una maldita política totalitaria dictadora con las estrellas lo dejare en 4

Las aventuras de Tom Sawyer es un clásico "universal" del que probablemente hayan visto alguna de las muchas adaptaciones americanas que tiene, ya sean propias series de televisión o películas basadas en el libro o apariciones especiales, como sucede en los padrinos mágicos. Quizás incluso se sepan ya la historia de la cerca que había que pintar.

En si esta es la historia d
Peter
I read Huckleberry Finn first and found that a superior book. I think what makes that book better is the great overarching story and the strong narrator Huck, whose childlike 'simple' view Twain uses to question the status quo of the world around him. The only part of Huckleberry Finn that I disliked was Tom Sawyer's appearance at the end. That didn't bode well for this book, but I thought I would give it a go anyway.

#SPOILERS#

In this book Huck is not as fully formed as he appears in his own sto
Anastasia
Le avventure di Tom Sawyer è un libro incredibile per i piccoli lettori e un inno all'infanzia perduta per quelli un po' più grandi.

E possiamo far valere questo opening pure come ending e far capire che si potrebbe riassumere tutto qui, a livello di significato, contenuto e impressioni da parte del lettore.
Però io non sono capace di stare zitta, quindi allungo la questione.
Non tanto, lo prometto.

Tom Sawyer è uno di quei bambini che io non avrei sopportato da piccola. Sempre pieno di energie, il
eliza
Little-known fact: I played an extra in the musical and got to choose my own name. I picked "Tony" but was told I had to change it because "the Italians hadn't arrived yet." So I changed it to "Anthony" and they accepted that. I guess what they meant is that the Italians hadn't started using nick-names yet.
mai ahmd

كان رائعا وبريئا وممتعا وآخر شقاوة

Mike (the Paladin)
Just had to "pick" an edition...couldn't find either the one I read back in the 60s or the one on my shelves now.

This is a wonderful book, for young or old, read it over and over a"true" American classic. Great, great, great.

Tom white washing the fence is so well know...and most have at least heard of Becky, but if you haven't gone to the grave yard with Tom (and Huck) and taken the blood oath: "swears they will keep mum about This and They wish They may Drop down dead in Their Tracks if They ev
Jason Pettus
I'm admittedly a fan of many of Mark Twain's works; so which to write up here at my social network? So I picked this one, because of me growing up three hours' south of Hannibal, Missouri, Twain's actual childhood hometown, which he paints a vivd picture of in this particular book, and which I visited numerous times as a child. And wow, where do you even begin with how great a writer Mark Twain was? Dark yet mainstream, bitter yet sunny, with a prose style that unbelievably still holds up well 1 ...more
Thomas
A cute coming-of-age story centered on Tom Sawyer's wild and mischievous antics. Mark Twain shows some of his wit and tone in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Tom, while not exactly likeable, has a consistent voice throughout the book; Twain also characterizes the town he grows up in.

This book came halfway for me in terms of both fun and depth. It didn't make me laugh or love Tom, but the pages flew by in just a few days. I detect certain themes throughout the novel: childhood as a sanctuary, the
Yani
May 30, 2015 Yani rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A nadie
Antes que nada: no tengo ningún problema personal con los libros infantiles. Me encantan y me llevo mucho mejor con ellos que con los juveniles. Mi disgusto, separación, enemistad o lo que sea con este libro tiene otras raíces y están en las palabras aventuras y Tom Sawyer. Es decir, todo el título. Ni las aventuras lograron divertirme y/o interesarme lo suficiente ni Tom Sawyer me pareció un personaje memorable para vivirlas… salvo por lo insoportable que es.

Tom es un niño que vive con su
Carol
The settling for this classic written over 100 years ago is just a hop, skip and a jump away from me in Hannibal, Missouri.

This fun read is full of nonsense and mayhem provided by the cast of Tom, his pal Huck Finn, his girlfriend Becky Thatcher, Aunt Polly, and the mysterious Injun Joe. What a treat it was to find out that most of these crazy adventures actually occurred in real life to Mark Twain himself or his schoolmates.

It really was hard to get through this tale without laughing at Tom's m

K.M. Weiland
This book is a delight from start to finish. I was honestly prepared, going into it, for it to be utterly overrated. But it’s as charming as can be—far more so than even the most endearing of its film adaptations. Tom is a deliciously *real*, ornery, mischievous, good-hearted, entirely lovable boy. And Huck Finn is the perfect foil as they embark on a boyhood of adventures. Thoroughly wonderful.
usedbooks_uae
مغامرة ممتعة .. تعيشها مع توم سوير الفتى الشقي الذي يقع دائما في المشاكل ويبحث هو وصديقه المشاغب هاك فين عن كنز فيشهدا جريمة قتل وهكذا تمضي الأحداث سعيدة أحيانا و تحبس الأنفاس أحيانا أخرى. رائعة جدا.
14-7-2015
Stephen
4.0 stars. This is a 3 star story that is raised to 4 stars on the strength of Mark Twain's unique voice and engaging wit. Twain captures perfectly the tone and spirit of what it is to be a boy and crafts a timeless YA novel that can be enjoyed by both children and parents alike. Looking forward to reading some of Twain's adult work. Highly Recommended!!!!
Simona Bartolotta
"I due ragazzi si rivestirono, nascosero gli armamenti e presero la via del ritorno rimpiangendo che non esistessero più banditi e chiedendosi con che cosa di altrettanto valido e affascinante li avesse sostituiti la civiltà moderna. E aggiunsero che avrebbero preferito decisamente essere banditi per un anno nella foresta di Sherwood piuttosto che Presidenti degli Stati Uniti per sempre."

Quanta la dolcezza di queste parole? Infinita. E quanta la nostalgia che ci sommerge quando leggiamo questo b
Amina - أمينَة.
' كي تجعل أحد يرغب بشدّة في شيء ما ، فكل ما عليك
فعله أن تجعل ذلك الشيء صعب المنَال '

ما هذا الجمال ؟ .
توماس سوير ، هاكلبيري فين ، يا لكما من طفلان - لصّان - نبيلان !
الرواية مُضحكة ، و طفولية حدّ الطفولة :)) ، بسيطة و جميلة ، مغامرات توم و هاك ، الحّب الطفولي لـ بيكي ... ياااه ما أجملهم جميعا .
Winnie
Mar 28, 2009 Winnie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
funny,but boring too.
Molly
Tom Sawyer!
Oh, como eu gostava de ver os desenhos animados do Tom Sawyer. Aventuras, maluqueiras!

Quando os via nem tinha noção da existência do livro e de que os desenhos eram uma adaptação.
É o segundo livro que leio por causa de desenhos animados. O primeiro foi A Ilha do Tesouro, que é um dos meus livros favoritos.

"As Aventuras de Tom Sawyer" é, como diz o título, um livro que fala das aventuras deste rapaz.
Tom anda sempre metido em sarilhos e traquinices. Tem vários amigos, mas Huckleberr
Jimmy
Sahabat sejatiku, hilangkah dari ingatanmu
Di hari kita saling berbagi
Dengan kotak sejuta mimpi, aku datang menghampirimu
Kuperlihat semua hartaku
Kita s’lalu berpendapat, kita ini yang terhebat
Kesombongan di masa muda yang indah
Aku raja kaupun raja
Aku hitam kaupun hitam
Arti teman lebih dari sekedar materi

…mengutip lirik dari lagu “Sahabat Sejati” – Sheila on 7

Saya pikir cuplikan lirik lagu di atas cukup mewakili seperti apa masa kanak-kanak kita. Ingin selalu menjadi yang paling hebat di antara te
Harrison Witcher
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is probably the most well-known book in American literature. Written in 1876, Mark Twain crafts this master piece from some of his own experiences. The book takes place in the mid to late 1800’s and is written about a twelve year old boy named Tom Sawyer who grows up living by the Mississippi river.

Tom Sawyer is a twelve year old mischievous child who every child in town wants to be. When Tom and his best friend Huckleberry Finn are together they are unstoppable with
Dina
Hello, I'm the asshole giving Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer a two star rating - "it was ok" in Goodreads parlance.

I find it hard to separate myself from the idea that much of this book's "classic" status stems purely from nostalgia, be it for late 1800's or from the former boy critics and readers who find Tom's antics so relatable. The plot meanders along like the mighty Mississip St. Petersburg is situated on, trickling along several similar sub-plot estuaries before we wrap up this
E-Book Version of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer 1 12 Apr 28, 2015 04:45AM
Do you think that the book was good? 6 37 Apr 20, 2015 03:18PM
  • The Deerslayer (The Leatherstocking Tales, #1)
  • Emil and the Detectives
  • Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)
  • Ferien auf Saltkrokan
  • Vlak u snijegu
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor
  • The Swiss Family Robinson
  • Johnny Tremain
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Yearling
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Emily of New Moon (Emily of New Moon, #1)
  • Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • A Christmas Carol
  • Всадник без головы
  • Sister Carrie
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • Aesop's Fables
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...

Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn (4 books)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, #2)
  • Tom Sawyer Abroad (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, #3)
  • Tom Sawyer, Detective (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, #4)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, #2) The Prince and the Pauper A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Pudd'nhead Wilson

“The less there is to justify a traditional custom, the harder it is to get rid of it” 93 likes
“Ah, if he could only die temporarily!” 56 likes