Start by marking “Nolander (Emanations, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nolander (Emanations, #1)

Nolander (Emanations #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Nice girls don't believe in monsters. They're wrong.

Amateur photographer Beth Ryder is in trouble. She's taking pictures of things she can't see, things that aren't human. Beth has her own dreams, but people like her don't get to go free. She's seized by a dangerous organization dedicated to keeping Earth's shadow world -- and its frightening inhabitants -- a secret. For...more
Published April 2nd 2012

To ask other readers questions about Nolander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nolander

Marie
Nolander is a story about a young woman named Beth who inadvertently captures otherworldly creatures in the photos she takes. She then becomes unwillingly involved in the events of the Second Emanation, the place where these creatures are from.

What could have been a decent book was ruined by a few things. For one, I think this story could have greatly benefited from having an omniscient narrator, or at least a third person point of view, rather than being told in a first person point of view. I...more
Kilian Metcalf
I subscribe to four services that notify me daily of free or low-cost Kindle books. 99-44/100% of the titles are dross, but there are occasional flecks of gold. It's those flecks that keep me scanning the notices. Winston Churchill's 6-volume history of WWII for $1.99 each? Gold. Barbara Pym for $1.99? Gold.

In addition to writers I'm already familiar with, I have met several new authors that I never would have come across without their decision to put their books up for free or 99 cents.

This b...more
Dianne
Becca Mills’ Nolander has enchanted me by daring to be a unique concept in the paranormal genre! Beth Ryder, our heroine comes from a small town where nothing is private, and everyone knows she suffers from debilitating panic attacks. Part of her coping mechanism is to dabble in photography, but when strange creatures start showing up in her pictures, she finds herself thrown into a parallel world filled with a menagerie of dangerously powerful creatures and magic! Beth is a Nolander, one of a g...more
Jen Minkman
I was a bit hesitant to download Nolander first, because it is part of a series. I have read way too many books in this genre that are part of a trilogy, and consequently, NOTHING happens or comes to any kind of conclusion in the first book (probably intended to draw readers in and make them buy the second book, but that's not how it works for me, unfortunately). However, this book is different. Nolander is just a very, very good read. I couldn't put it away, and the many twists and turns keep y...more
Angela Oliver
This was an odd book. Some of the ideas and concepts were interesting, but ultimately the plot felt a little out of control. It did not so much build to a climax as jump you abruptly into a bizarre alternate plot. The heroine was interesting enough, but a little irritating at times and the whole story felt like it could do with some tighter editing. Still, not bad for a self published novel, although the ending left me feeling distinctly unsatisfied as pretty much none of my questions had been a...more
Chevy Aime
Ugh, no. This book was lame. The main character was terrible and it's not like she doesn't have an excuse for the way she acts but still. Even after she gets a little more knowledge about herself and the world around her, she still acts ignorant and I hate that. On top of that, the plot was completely boring to me.
Lyndee
I'm awarding one more star than originally planned because the plot began to interest me at the end. I might pick up the second book. Most of this first book was just so random and awkwardly written- I really was hanging on by a thread most of the way through.
K. Bird
Nolander was both more intriguing than I initially thought, and more frustrating. Intriguing because Beth, the heroine, is a convincing small-town girl caught up in wackiness (until the second half where she suddenly becomes smarter-than-your-average bear)that is an interesting spin on multiple worlds, and frustrating because with a little tightening, this could have been a 5 star book.

First, let's talk about about an interesting menagerie of creatures, powers, and "workings" (magic.) While at f...more
puppitypup
Urban Fantasy I tried, I really did, spending two evenings in a row with this book. I made it to the 77% mark last night, but I find no desire in me to finish. Other than the main character, there is no one that I care about in this story. There are three male characters "on the good side." One is a bully, one a liar and statutory rapist, and one a serial rapist. Of the two other female characters on the team, one is spineless and the other rude. With such two dimensional secondary characters, t...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I regret it took me so long to read this one. I admit, I had picked it up numerous times and never was able to read more than a few pages at a time, not because the story wasn't good but rather I just didn't have the time.

I am glad I finally was able to start it and finish because truly this was a very imaginative read. And even though fantasy and I don't always get along, I did enjoy the uniqueness this one brought.

Nolanders are a very original being. So much so that I am still not all the way...more
Kerri
Beth lives in a small town, where news travels fast. She's a long time sufferer of panic attacks, but recently her attacks have increased. She can't keep a boyfriend because of her episodes, and has trouble staying connected to her brother and her nieces because her sister-in-law hates her. Photography is her favorite hobby, until one day she takes a photo of a man who isn't human.

This story starts good, but fizzles into a fast paced cheesefest. Alright, maybe cheesefest is too strong a word, si...more
Intisar Khanani
Actual rating 4.5

A fast moving and well paced story of a young woman who discovers she's more paranormal than normal...not the most unique premise, but I loved a few things about this story:

(a) The heroine. The heroine begins the story with panic disorder. I've never really understood what it might be like to have such a disorder, and it was both eye-opening and very clear that Ms. Mills has done a very good job researching this. Even better, as the story progresses so does character development...more
Angie
When I finished this book I sat down and thought to myself "Wow, that wasn't what I expected". Right away I wanted to write a review on it, but I couldn't quite figure out where to start. So I ended up reading a short story that was okay, and a zombie book that was great before I came back to Nolanders for the review.

Beth lives in the small town of Dorf, where everyone knows everyone else's business. All her life she has suffered from panic attacks, they have ruled everything about her. She foun...more
Maya Lantz
Nolander was a highly entertaining read. Each time I thought I had a handle on what was going on and what was going to come next the plot would take a turn to something completely unexpected. Becca Mills has created a very vibrant world full of unique creatures and happenings where just about anything you can imagine is possible. This is definitely not a book for children but would be suitable for older teens as there is profanity and some built up sexual tension throughout the book.

Beth Ryder t...more
Sheryl
I'm kind of at a loss for words regarding this book. It was so weird I'm not sure what I think of it, but I do know that I didn't love it. I didn't hate it either, hence the 3 stars. At first the book was intriguing and even though I wasn't sure what was going on, I was curious enough to keep reading. By the end, I still wasn't 100% sure what was going on, though I did understand the basics. That said, I never really felt that there was a "point" to the book; I never really knew where it was hea...more
Rachel
Written well, with an interesting (if not unique) concept. Beth Ryder, a small town girl with a debilitating panic disorder, accidentally discovers a world colluding with our own (in which I suspect she'll play a large role.)

The good points: 1- the author attempts to explain this second mysterious world with science, instead of writing it off with magic; 2- Beth tries to make things happen, instead of waiting for them to happen to her; 3- the story moves along at a fast pace and keeps you intere...more
Krazykiwi
Really ambivalent about this book.

It's a lot of things I do like, mixed in with a lot of things I don't. Overall it comes in on the positive side, but I'm not sure I'll continue the series.

But I really did love the character Ghosteater.

No recommendation on this one, you'll have to decide for yourselves.

Longer review @Booklikes.
I wasn't expecting to like this book that much, but I was hooked and intrigued from the first page. I really liked Beth and she was able to think and figure things out. Unlike most books she wasn't an idiot who could do nothing which is always a nice change of pace. She was pretty level headed and could show compassion and still be strong. I also enjoyed the different worlds and figuring out what was going on with Beth. I also enjoyed that there wasn't really a love story in there.

One thing I d...more
Angela
Started out Ok.... I don't know what the hell happened. I mean I couldn't even finish it.I got maybe 45% in and I was done. Everything started going down hill at this point. The main character just rubbed me the wrong way and the supporting characters are people I'd never be able to like, even if they were the ones trying to help me. There's little action and the story drags. And did I mention I don't care for the main character. Yeah. I don't. I'm not going to go into all the things I didn't li...more
Emily Stites
I really enjoyed this book. This is one of the few YA novels that I have truly enjoyed recently. I must admit however, that I got a bit confused at parts, mainly when the topic of essence, workings, half workings,S-Em, and F-Em. But I almost like getting confused at these parts because it really helped me connect a lot more with Beth's character, because I could begin to understand some of her own confusion and frustration at not understanding everything completely.

The book had a wonderful voic...more
Amanda Young
Such a fantastic read. It really gave a fantastic spin on a woman's self-actualization. Taking a life riddled with panic attacks and anxiety, and turning it into a thrilling yet horrifying adventure. It was slow to start, but we'll worth the investment of time. She pretty much teases you with a normal back story and throws you head long with Beth into a new viewpoint of the world we live in every day. Only four stars because she ended it too soon! I must know what happens to Beth!
Dr susan
I have noticed the reviews for Nolander fill the spectrum from bad to great. I enjoyed this book. Beth is believable, and the world is unique enough and built well enough to be intriguing. I agree that Ghosteater's segments would be better presented in third person from his point of view, but the interludes did not disturb me enough to change my opinion of the book. I am disappointed that the sequel is not yet available.
Paula
What a gem of a book. Following the story of Beth who suffered her whole life of panic attacks and comes to find out that there is more to the world then she thought, this book is full of surprises, twists and mystery. There was not a dull moment and the book was absolutely unpredictable without having to try too hard. This book is a page-turner. The characters have depth, even if some of them remain mysterious, their personality does still shine. The story is captivating and the writing style a...more
Jade Moore
At first I wasn't sure that I could really get into this book. I'm used to reading books with strong women protagonists and it was obvious from the get go that Beth was going not that. Beth suffers from severe anxiety and panic attacks and it causes her to retreat into the shadows when faced with a difficult situation rather than confront it head on. However, the more I read I found her to become rather endearing. She sort of grows into her own a bit and I feel as though as this series progresse...more
Christina
This was a random book I picked up for free on Kindle. It was AMAZING. Well worth the read. At the end of the book it said the next was supposed to be out already. However, it looks like it's supposed to be out sometime this year. I will definitely pick up the second book. Can't wait for it to come out.
Riki Solanen
This was very interesting. Urban fantasy? Paranormal? A woman discovers that she has the ability to see beings of the Second Emanation, and this thrusts her into a strange community of people. Some are Nolanders, like her, others are of the Second Emanation. Her abilities are confusing and inconsistent and the new friends/teachers she meets have their own conflicts, agendas and politics. A whole shadow community of beings of various powers who hide their truth from normal humans.

I like that she...more
Jennifer Jelliff
Becca Mills is a fresh voice that eloquently introduces readers to a new universe populated with realistic characters who have unique gifts. Though the main character, Beth, starts out as a normal human and is a seemingly passive protagonist, she eventually stumbles upon the hidden world of the Seconds and discovers that she is more unique than she thought. Her internal journey of self-discovery takes place during several dangerous adventures that make the reader turn the page to find out what h...more
Kristal
I absolutely adored this book. Love, love, loved it. It's rare I find books that inspire ME to write, and this one did. I always know it's a fantastic book when I want to rush home to work on my own book, and I find myself waking up in the night and wanting to read more. The characters were amazing (in particular, I'd love more Cordus interaction, and maybe some background on Williams) and I fell in love with so many of them. Bob - love him! :) I could visualize every scene in this book. Just re...more
Sharon Michael
This is one where I like the Goodreads option of not giving a rating, since the big reason I didn't like it was that it hit one of my personal pet peeves ... a cliffhanger ending. The best I can say for it was that it did end at a break in the action.

Interesting, though somewhat confusing world development which occasionally had me shaking my head a bit (say what?) and well developed characterization. Entertaining, easy read with a good flow of action.

Readers who have no objection to the 'non-e...more
Jenni Halpin
I liked this book for its efforts to stretch a couple of tropes:

--from the "kid discovers special powers": Nolander's protagonist is in her early 20s.

--the "whole 'nother world out there" idea here is also handled in some fresh ways.

Characterization is a bit uneven, chiefly in terms of consistently motivating actions, though I'm hopeful that the announced sequel, by exploring some of the characters more fully, might fill in some of those moments of missing purpose.
  • The Darkest Gate (Descent, #2)
  • Serenity (Afterlife,#2)
  • Cloak
  • Firecracker
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Ruby Blue (Ruby Blue, #1)
  • The Witches of West Shore (Broken Shell Island, #1)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • Snow White and Rose Red: The Curse of the Huntsman
  • Binding Spell (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms #3)
  • Breath of Air (Dryad Quartet #1)
  • Song of the Summer King
  • Tab Bennett and the Inbetween (Princess of Twilight and Dawn, #1)
  • Dream Walker (Paperback)
  • Darker Things (The Lockman Chronicles, #1)
  • Something Witchy (Mystics & Mayhem, #1)
  • The Doorknob Society
  • The Circle of Sorcerers (Mages of Bloodmyr, #1)
5820327
Becca Mills is an over-educated, under-exercised lover of good coffee, science, and fast cars. And books. Oh yes. She believes the world can be a rough place and that everyone deserves to leave it behind now and then. That pretty much makes books a human right, no?

Becca is currently completing Book 2 of the Emanations series. When not novelizing, she spends quite a bit of time on her "day job" as...more
More about Becca Mills...
Holiday Wishes