Start by marking “A Surprise for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Surprise for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #3)

A Surprise for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  466 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Caroline Abbott imagined it would be great fun to have two girls staying at her house for the winter. But her friend Rhonda Hathaway and cousin Lydia are both twelve, and sometimes they seem to be better friends with each other than with Caroline. Worse, they’d rather stay inside styling hair than go skating and sledding. Nothing Caroline tries seems to change things, not ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by American Girl Publishing

Carolyn
Dec 13, 2012 Carolyn rated it liked it
This series isn't quite the typical one that you would expect from the classic American Girl stories, but it's still a good one.

It is Christmastime, but that only plays a small role in this book. Caroline's father is a still a prisoner and the war is still going on. But now Caroline has a house full of guests, a boarding family, and her cousin's family has moved in. While Caroline hopes the girls can spend time outside playing and ice skating (awesome!), the other two girls don't like being outs
Lindsay Collett
Aug 28, 2014 Lindsay Collett rated it liked it
Childhood memory: None ... Okay, so this isn't technically one of the American Girl books I read as a kid. But, my memories of those I did enjoy keep me interested in checking in on the historical American Girl books as AG publishes them.

Revisited review: This was a great series, in a great setting. I wasn't sure what to expect, I thought the Caroline series would be boring and bland but I was pleasantly surprised. The War of 1812 time frame and key location setting really kept the stories engag
Ro
Feb 10, 2014 Ro rated it really liked it
Not the best written book, BUT it does deal with important issues girls go through - wanting to get your way, wanting to control others, etc. These are issues that come up in daily life, but are not usually addressed in a way little girls can relate to. This is where I think the beauty of the book lies.
Kristen Luppino
Oct 23, 2016 Kristen Luppino rated it liked it
This lesson felt more simple than some of the others by American Girl, though I'm still enjoying Caroline's story.
Amie
Jan 10, 2017 Amie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4th-grade
I loved this Caroline story! I like that American Girl returned briefly to the 'meet, school, Christmas' format.
Lacey
Nov 14, 2016 Lacey rated it really liked it
This wasn't our favorite of the series but it was still good
Jessica
Oct 07, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
Recommended to Jessica by: goodreads
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Becky Keir Grace
Moving through the Caroline series, A Surprise for Caroline takes place at Christmas time. The Hathaways are still boarding with the Abbotts, as well as Caroline's aunt, uncle and cousin. Caroline has two girls to play with, as often feels left out. She is a couple years younger than Lydia and Rhonda. The older girls are more into fashion and hairstyles, and Caroline wants to do things like sledding and ice skating. Caroline tries to find ways for them to do things together, but nothing works ou ...more
Samantha
Nov 23, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
It's Christmastime and Caroline is excited to play winter games with her cousin, Lydia, and her friend, Rhonda, but is disappointed to find that they don't share her enthusiasm. With the help of some of the men that work at the shipyard, Caroline has a pair of ice skates custom made for Rhonda in hopes that she will take Caroline up on her offer to teach her how to ice skate.

The gift doesn't quite go over as well as she would've hoped, but Caroline is determined to enjoy the season with her clo
Callie Stillion
Nov 17, 2013 Callie Stillion rated it it was amazing
Caroline is happy when Christmas is coming, but she knows that it means not even her Father will come home for the holiday. But Caroline is surprised when she hears that her friend is afraid of ice skating, and never wants to be around ice. But when Caroline gets Rhonda new ice skates, she knows that she might not be happy. Will things turn around for Caroline?
Lily
Sep 16, 2014 Lily rated it really liked it
Shelves: ag
Ok, I don't usually write reviews for AG books, but Caroline is da bomb! Her adventures make you remember older characters like Addy or Kirsten, but her everyday life reminds you of things you did yesterday! I didn't like her at first, but now, I'm half way done with her central series and I love it!
Kristine Hansen
Dec 26, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Caroline is having some growing pains here as she tries to figure out how to stay friends with the older girls, while still wanting to play outside in ways that are not quite 'ladylike.' A lot more action and adventure than I'd initially expected when Caroline puts herself and the other girls in danger out on the ice. Exciting story!
Riley
Dec 16, 2012 Riley rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I thought one of the most amazing parts was when her cousins helped her get across a river of ice. And I thought it was cool when Rhonda, Caroline's cousin, was pushing Caroline's grandmother in a sled that is meant to go on ice which Linda and Rhonda had asked Mr. Tate to get some of the shipbuilders to make.
Caroline Herfindahl
Aug 04, 2015 Caroline Herfindahl rated it really liked it
I think of the first 3 Caroline books this may be my favorite so far. It has a great message about friendship and talking about your feelings and is a fun look at life in 1812 during the winter. It doesn't include much about the war but since the lakes were frozen there probably wasn't as much taking place.
Miri
Jan 04, 2015 Miri rated it really liked it
Caroline's father is still a captive of the British, her cousin's family is now staying with them and Rhonda's family. Caroline feels like her cousin and her new friend are better friends with each other than with her, this makes her feel left out, trying to find something they can all do together Caroline makes a dangerous and foolish decision.
Cathy Cramer
I read this after my 3rd grader. Much arguing in the book between a younger girl wanting to play in winter weather and older girls wanting to stay inside and brush their hair. Realistic, that. It also makes me think of this winter, with some family members enjoying winter weather and others just wanting spring. It was also a good read for the 3rd grader while taking ice skating lessons.
Angela
Jan 17, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Girls 8-13
Once again, Caroline must learn to get along with other girls in the house. First, she must realize that she isn't really being left out by the two girls two years older than her, but rather is hurting their feelings by suggesting that their ideas of fun are silly. Then, she must also realize that the youngest girl in the house, Amelia, might also be feeling a little left out.
Valerie
May 15, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it
This was more about the relationship between her and two older gals--one of them, her cousin Lydia,and the other a guest in her house named Rhonda. Interesting read.
Nancy
Jan 10, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
Giuliana;

I totally understand Caroline when(view spoiler)
Kaetlyn
Mar 25, 2015 Kaetlyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I read this book.
I like that Caroline got Rhonda to skate.
I don't like that Caroline acted older than she was.
It was a good book.
Nov 06, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
I liked that Caroline could see the consequences of her choices. She learned to be nicer to others. Christmas plays a small part of this book:)
Kayla Killian
Oct 22, 2012 Kayla Killian rated it really liked it
Just finished this book and love it! I would recommend it to anyone who does NOT like to read! It's perfect!
Reading with Cats
Reading with Cats rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Charmaine
Charmaine rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Olivia Harding
Olivia Harding rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Hedgehog Power
Hedgehog Power rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Laura Vinal
Laura Vinal rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Esther Christensen
Esther Christensen rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
H_alaleeli
H_alaleeli rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Pandie
Pandie rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
  • Cécile's Gift (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #6)
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • Kaya Shows the Way: A Sister Story (American Girls: Kaya, #5)
  • Happy Birthday, Josefina!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Josefina, #4)
  • Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
I grew up in Maryland, in a house full of books! Both of my parents were avid readers, thank goodness. Before we traveled to a new area, my librarian-mom used to bring home historical novels set in that place. It was a great way to get excited about history.

I began writing stories when I was maybe 10 or 11. At 15 I wrote my first novel; I sold my first novel to a publisher 20 years later! Writing
More about Kathleen Ernst...

American Girls: Caroline (6 books)
  • Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1)
  • Caroline's Secret Message (American Girls: Caroline, #2)
  • Caroline Takes a Chance (American Girls: Caroline, #4)
  • Caroline's Battle (American Girls: Caroline, #5)
  • Changes for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #6)