Start by marking “A Surprise for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Surprise for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #3)

A Surprise for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Caroline Abbott imagined it would be great fun to have two girls staying at her house for the winter. But her friend Rhonda Hathaway and cousin Lydia are both twelve, and sometimes they seem to be better friends with each other than with Caroline. Worse, they’d rather stay inside styling hair than go skating and sledding. Nothing Caroline tries seems to change things, not ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by American Girl Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Surprise for Caroline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Surprise for Caroline

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini TaylorJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëSnow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa SeeA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Velo Races by Emily June Street
Passing the Bechdel Test
169th out of 215 books — 24 voters
The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettMatilda by Roald DahlNate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras Toz
Books for nine-year-olds
387th out of 390 books — 262 voters

More lists with this book...

Carolyn
This series isn't quite the typical one that you would expect from the classic American Girl stories, but it's still a good one.

It is Christmastime, but that only plays a small role in this book. Caroline's father is a still a prisoner and the war is still going on. But now Caroline has a house full of guests, a boarding family, and her cousin's family has moved in. While Caroline hopes the girls can spend time outside playing and ice skating (awesome!), the other two girls don't like being outs
Lindsay Collett
Childhood memory: None ... Okay, so this isn't technically one of the American Girl books I read as a kid. But, my memories of those I did enjoy keep me interested in checking in on the historical American Girl books as AG publishes them.

Revisited review: This was a great series, in a great setting. I wasn't sure what to expect, I thought the Caroline series would be boring and bland but I was pleasantly surprised. The War of 1812 time frame and key location setting really kept the stories engag
Ro
Not the best written book, BUT it does deal with important issues girls go through - wanting to get your way, wanting to control others, etc. These are issues that come up in daily life, but are not usually addressed in a way little girls can relate to. This is where I think the beauty of the book lies.
Becky Keir Grace
Moving through the Caroline series, A Surprise for Caroline takes place at Christmas time. The Hathaways are still boarding with the Abbotts, as well as Caroline's aunt, uncle and cousin. Caroline has two girls to play with, as often feels left out. She is a couple years younger than Lydia and Rhonda. The older girls are more into fashion and hairstyles, and Caroline wants to do things like sledding and ice skating. Caroline tries to find ways for them to do things together, but nothing works ou ...more
Samantha
It's Christmastime and Caroline is excited to play winter games with her cousin, Lydia, and her friend, Rhonda, but is disappointed to find that they don't share her enthusiasm. With the help of some of the men that work at the shipyard, Caroline has a pair of ice skates custom made for Rhonda in hopes that she will take Caroline up on her offer to teach her how to ice skate.

The gift doesn't quite go over as well as she would've hoped, but Caroline is determined to enjoy the season with her clo
Angela
Jan 17, 2013 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls 8-13
Once again, Caroline must learn to get along with other girls in the house. First, she must realize that she isn't really being left out by the two girls two years older than her, but rather is hurting their feelings by suggesting that their ideas of fun are silly. Then, she must also realize that the youngest girl in the house, Amelia, might also be feeling a little left out.
Callie Stillion
Caroline is happy when Christmas is coming, but she knows that it means not even her Father will come home for the holiday. But Caroline is surprised when she hears that her friend is afraid of ice skating, and never wants to be around ice. But when Caroline gets Rhonda new ice skates, she knows that she might not be happy. Will things turn around for Caroline?
Miri
Caroline's father is still a captive of the British, her cousin's family is now staying with them and Rhonda's family. Caroline feels like her cousin and her new friend are better friends with each other than with her, this makes her feel left out, trying to find something they can all do together Caroline makes a dangerous and foolish decision.
Kristine Pratt
Caroline is having some growing pains here as she tries to figure out how to stay friends with the older girls, while still wanting to play outside in ways that are not quite 'ladylike.' A lot more action and adventure than I'd initially expected when Caroline puts herself and the other girls in danger out on the ice. Exciting story!
Riley
I thought one of the most amazing parts was when her cousins helped her get across a river of ice. And I thought it was cool when Rhonda, Caroline's cousin, was pushing Caroline's grandmother in a sled that is meant to go on ice which Linda and Rhonda had asked Mr. Tate to get some of the shipbuilders to make.
Lily
Sep 16, 2014 Lily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ag
Ok, I don't usually write reviews for AG books, but Caroline is da bomb! Her adventures make you remember older characters like Addy or Kirsten, but her everyday life reminds you of things you did yesterday! I didn't like her at first, but now, I'm half way done with her central series and I love it!
I liked that Caroline could see the consequences of her choices. She learned to be nicer to others. Christmas plays a small part of this book:)
Nancy
Giuliana;

I totally understand Caroline when(view spoiler)
Kayla Killian
Just finished this book and love it! I would recommend it to anyone who does NOT like to read! It's perfect!
Heather
O enjoyed this one and will hopefully never venture out on a frozen lake after this read! :)
Ellen
I think this was my favorite from all the books. Great lessons
Maddy
It was dramatic and very real, something girls can relate to.
Michael
Some little girls argue about ice skating. No cannons.
Stefanie
I can totally relate to the poor girl who can't skate. :(
Valerie
This was more about the relationship between her and two older gals--one of them, her cousin Lydia,and the other a guest in her house named Rhonda. Interesting read.
Zoe
E
O
SM
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Amie
Amie added it
Jan 24, 2015
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)
  • Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)
  • Kit's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kit, #3)
  • Kaya's Escape! (American Girls: Kaya, #2)
I grew up in Maryland, in a house full of books! Both of my parents were avid readers, thank goodness. Before we traveled to a new area, my librarian-mom used to bring home historical novels set in that place. It was a great way to get excited about history.

I began writing stories when I was maybe 10 or 11. At 15 I wrote my first novel; I sold my first novel to a publisher 20 years later! Writing
More about Kathleen Ernst...

American Girls: Caroline (7 books)
  • Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1)
  • Caroline's Secret Message (American Girls: Caroline, #2)
  • Caroline Takes a Chance (American Girls: Caroline, #4)
  • Caroline's Battle (American Girls: Caroline, #5)
  • Changes for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #6)
  • Traitor in the Shipyard: A Caroline Mystery
Danger at the Zoo: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality)) Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1) Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1) Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7) Caroline's Secret Message (American Girls: Caroline, #2)