Start by marking “Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1)” as Want to Read:
Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1)

Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline #1)

Caroline Abbott is doing what she loves most—sailing on Lake Ontario with Papa—when her world turns upside down. A British officer boards their sloop, announces that Britain and America are at war, and takes her father prisoner. As Papa is led away, Caroline promises him that she will stay strong and steady until he returns. She tries hard to keep her promise by helping Ma ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by American Girl Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Caroline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Caroline

Meet Samantha by Susan S. AdlerMeet Felicity by Valerie TrippMeet Addy by Connie Rose PorterMeet Molly by Valerie TrippMeet Kirsten by Janet Beeler Shaw
An American Girl
45th out of 168 books — 57 voters
Clementine by Sara PennypackerSherlock Academy by F.C. ShawWatson's Case by F.C. ShawCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteG.G. Rock Climbs by Marty Mokler Banks
Best Realistic Fiction for Elementary Readers
17th out of 31 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 09, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Yes, I am an adult, and I enjoy reading these books. I grew up with the classic 4 girls: Kirstin, Samantha, Molly, and Felcity, since she had just been created the year I started reading. And ever since then, and culture and following has started for these America Girls, not to mention a slew of girls to follow, books, dolls, clothes, accessories, and movies!

But these books told a fun story and helped us young girls realize what it was like to live back in each time period. Something young girls
Jan 29, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
I had very low expectations for this book (which I am reading with my seven year old, who just got an American Girl doll for her birthdayJ), but I have to say, it was pretty good. My daughter is a bit of a history buff, which isn't really surprising since both my wife and I love history, so this short historical fiction book was right up all of our alleys. The main character, Caroline Abbot, lives on the shore of Lake Ontario when hostilities break out between the young United States and Great B ...more
Tredyffrin Children
I had never read any of the American Girl books, but when I discovered that the latest adventures were set in my old stomping grounds - Sackets Harbor, New York - I had to check it out.

In addition to being a charming place to have Sunday brunch, this small lakeside town played an important role during the War of 1812, which is the conflict that is just beginning as we meet Caroline Abbott, a young girl who dreams of being the captain of her own ship someday.

Unfortunately, her dreams are put on
Panda Incognito
I read this book partly to satisfy my own curiosity, and partly to preview it on my little sister's behalf. Frankly, I expected that it would be garbage. Imagine my surprise when I found it was actually an excellent book!

The last three American girl series were disappointments to varying degrees, but this one far surpasses the low standard set by Julie, even Rebecca, and Cecile/Marie Grace. The book is remarkably well-written, especially in comparison to that last AG installment. This prose was
Jan 31, 2015 Samantha rated it liked it
Cute enough. I'm reading this series so I can write a story as Caroline, our American Girl doll at the library. I want to be familiar with her voice to write a better piece.
Mar 03, 2016 Xyra rated it really liked it
A small part of me is disappointed by the style; however, the greater part of me understands the style of the target audience. This is definitely written for 9-year-old readers.

This is book one in the Caroline Abbot "historical" series. It predates the BeForever line at American Girl and has the lovely illustrations and look at life in 1812 included.

Caroline is an interesting character. She is determined to make her father proud. She also wants to be the captain of a ship or sloop. A highly unl
May 27, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Caroline is probably my favorite American Girl. I grew up near Sackets Harbor, NY and was glad that a local place is the main subject of a good book for kids. Caroline is a free spirit and definitely someone to learn from. She's also ahead of her time since her biggest wish is to be the captain of her own sloop. There is a lot of boating words used, but they are explained very well. It's the start of the War of 1812 and Caroline has to learn quickly that her father knows best. She also becomes m ...more
Feb 11, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels, own
4 1/2 - O received Caroline for Christmas along with this book. We enjoyed reading the story and were able to talk about where it took place as I was born on the shores of Lake Ontario and went to school in Kingston where Caroline's father was being held. In addition O has travelled there many times to visit Grandma. I liked that all the main characters are pictured at the front of the book and there is a map of the area as well. We learned how to make a Flemish Knot from this book which was fun ...more
Whitney (Shooting Stars Reviews)
Reviewed by Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

Meet Caroline begins when Caroline, her two cousins, and her father are out on the ship. Caroline wants to own her own boat when she gets older, and she’s determined to prove to her father she can do it. However, the British and America are at war again, and they take her father and older cousin prisoner. Caroline must return home to her mother to tell her the bad news, and help her with the household and running the shipyard.

This book was really good!
Apr 17, 2015 Libby rated it it was amazing
I read this whole series out loud to my 4.5-year old daughter and 6.5-year old son. I asked them how they would rate the series (which I had hoped to rate all together) and to my surprise they said they thought it should get 5 stars.

In the beginning, it was much harder for me to get the kids interested in this series compared with Molly or Felicity, I think because there was a lot of talk of nautical terms they did not understand at the very beginning. However, once we got into it, they really
Feb 28, 2015 Marya rated it liked it
Shelves: children-series
Caroline on the cover seems like a bland choice for a new American Girl. With her WASP life, she certainly isn't adding to the diversity of the American Girl series like some other recent additions (Addy, Josephina, Kaya, and even Rebecca). But upon reading the book, I find that the major story arc is going to be Caroline's father being taken by the British as a prisoner of war. That is an awesome story to tell, and kudos to American Girls for addressing that family dimension. Still, creating a ...more
Becky Keir Grace
I love the American Girl series. I decided to pick up one of the newest series and read through the first two. Caroline lives in Sacket’s Harbor, NY, right on Lake Ontario. The year is 1812. History buffs all know what happens this year, but I will be honest, this is a year I never knew much about. We thoroughly covered the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, and of course, WWII in school. I enjoyed reading a book about the start of this war. I will be honest; I had no idea that Canada was once ca ...more
Aug 05, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it
I love this book! I really want the doll but is unfortunately $110 which is pricey. Anyways, I love how confident and bold she is, and I absolutely love her story! This is the first book in a series of 6 books, I highly reccomend reading the other 5. The characters are relatable even though the story takes place in 1812. The only con I have is that I finished the book rather quickly because there are only 104 pages. Overall this book is a great historical fiction book that is great for a variety ...more
Amanda Caldwell
Meet Caroline is the story of Caroline Abbot, who is girl living during the War of 1812. I read this one on my own, without my little sister, because she and my mom read it together. So, before we buy more in the series, I had to know what happened in the first one. Even without reading it to a child, I still found this one totally interesting! As an adult, it kept me turning the pages. This book is really action-packed!

Caroline, her father, and cousins are sailing on Lake Ontario when their bo
Oct 14, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Just finished reading this with my 7-year old Jasmine. My older daughter, Vicki, had always been the one interested in history but Jasmine seems to be making up for lost time. One thing that helps is she met the author at the U.S.S. Constitution museum a week ago at an American Girl tea party/meet the author event. Jasmine had the boxed set of books and Ms. Ernst signed every book individually for her, giving her a strong feeling of ownership.

This is a pretty straightforward story, taking place
Jan 07, 2013 Amara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Introducing the newest protagonist in the American Girl lineup, Caroline Abbot, a witness to the War of 1812.

(Personally, I was hoping for an Asian American instead of another blue-eyed blonde, but I'll begrudgingly accept the war's 200th anniversary as an reasonable excuse.)

Caroline's father is a shipbuilder, and Caroline's dream is to become a ship captain and sail around the world. Her cousin Lydia has more traditional female goals: get married, live in a nice house, and have six daughters.
Holly Letson
Caroline's story is a bit more fast-paced than M-G and CeCe's, so it's easier to get into.
It's 1812, and THE BRITISH ARE COMING! THE BRITISH ARE COMING! As a matter of fact, they're already around Lake Ontario, and they have kidnapped Caroline's father and taken his ship and crew. Luckily, they agree to return Caroline and her cousin to the places they reside. Unluckily, a war is breaking out.
Caroline's mother has taken the Abbot business into her own hands, and Caroline is wanting to be a p
Mar 01, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Whole series review. In true American Girls fashion, Caroline is another spunky, fundamentally good girl not above making the sort of mistakes that make an adult facepalm but sound like a good idea, at the time, to a ten year old. Her story is set during the War of 1812, which probably few people know anything about except that it happened. Her father is a shipbuilder, captured by the British early in the first book. And this is where my favorite part of the series comes in: her mother takes ove ...more
Sep 17, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I just bought Caroline with my own money last week, and she is amazing! I love her story, as it is from a very interesting time period to me. The author, gives very good detail. I love American girl, as I have read all of the books, and have 5 dolls. I love how she loves to ice skate, and ride on "skiffs!" She is pretty tomboy in the books, for being in a time period where all girls wore were dresses.
Mar 31, 2015 Margo rated it liked it
I loved the idea and time period and topic and all that, but it was so short it hardly was developed. I would LOVE to see this in a young adult form, around 300 pages instead of 75, a possible romance between Caroline and Seth... So many things. I'm so used to young adult I have a hard time remembering this is for 7 year olds. I was like "SeTH KisS HeR PleAse"
Danelle Spicer
Great book about a young girl who is breaking the boundaries in sailing. She has always loved to sail alongside her family and dreams of being the captain of her own ship. Tragedy strikes when her father is taken prisoner by British soldiers. Great story with lots of excitement for young readers who are ready to read small chapter books.
Cathy Cramer
I read this after my 3rd grader, who has loved the series. I thought that the excitement and the circumstances of the War of 1812 were well told without being too gory or frightening.

Favorite quote: "Life often isn't fair. We can turn bitter and complain about our problems. Or we can try to change what we may and make the best of every day that we're given."
Oct 30, 2014 Hailey rated it did not like it
Meet Caroline I personally think that this book is not very good.It is more appleaing to like 7-9 year olds , and defiantly not appealing to Tweens or teens.But if you are in that age group you might find it to your liking!It is basically about the American girl doll Caroline.
Dec 08, 2012 Elphaba rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book very much!!! I wasn't THAT impressed with the latest new girls I read (Julie & Rebecca...haven't read Marie yet) but I really really like Caroline! Her story is really interesting and feels real and the illustrations are very nice! I'd been disappointed with the Julie and Rebecca illustrations because they hadn't been as high quality as the older books. Cause one thing the books always had was gorgeous illustrations. And I haven't even read the Marie books yet, but I did lo ...more
Lindsay Collett
Aug 28, 2014 Lindsay Collett rated it really liked it
Childhood memory: None ... Okay, so this isn't technically one of the American Girl books I read as a kid. But, my memories of those I did enjoy keep me interested in checking in on the historical American Girl books as AG publishes them.

Revisited review: This was a great series, in a great setting. I wasn't sure what to expect, I thought the Caroline series would be boring and bland but I was pleasantly surprised. The War of 1812 time frame and key location setting really kept the stories engag
Katrina Miller
Jan 12, 2014 Katrina Miller rated it really liked it
Caroline is a nine-year-old, girl, growing up on the shores of Lake Ontario during the War of 1812. One morning she is on her father's ship, when British soldiers attack. After the soldiers kidnap her father, and nephew, Caroline returns home with the bad news for her mother. As the weeks pass, they must learn how to command her father's shipyard without him.

I read the original American Girls books when I was little. I'm glad they're still in print, and more stories are being added.
Julie Bihn
Feb 11, 2013 Julie Bihn rated it liked it
One of my favorite aspects about historical books is being caught up and feeling like I'm visiting another period in time. With a 9-year-old heroine who dreams of being a ship's captain (!) and some dialogue that feels modern to me (a grandmother who lived through the Revolutionary War says "I'm fine here alone"), I just didn't feel like I was visiting any time period at all. And a rich girl with tomboyish tendencies learning to make personal sacrifice during a time of war struck me as way too m ...more
I love Caroline! She is one of the latest editions to the American Girl lineup & she is just adorable. Her books are some of the better written AG books. The story is a little shallow but still a good read.
Aug 28, 2014 Miri rated it it was amazing
Caroline is ten years old in 1812, the year that starts a new war for her country. Caroline lives with her father, mother and grandmother in Sacket's Harbor New York.

Caroline is the daughter of a shipyard owner and she dreams of having her own boat someday and enjoys sailing with her father, but while out one day her father and cousin are taken prisoner by the British as a new war is declared! Caroline must help out at home while she worries constantly about her father. When the British are bomb
Jan 10, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Giuliana: Some people might say that I'm too old for these books. But I'll always love reading and dressing up my American Girl doll.

Caroline's dad is a shipbuilder. She wants to be captain of her own ship one day. Her dad had just built a sloop for her cousin. She, her dad, Oliver and Lydia her cousins are out on a ride when the British capture her dad and cousin, take the White Gull, and are only nice enough to drop the girls off on shore.

It's really tough on her mom and Grandmother. (view spo
  • Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)
  • Marie-Grace and the Orphans (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #3)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • Very Funny, Elizabeth (American Girls: Felicity)
  • Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage (American Girls: Kaya, #6)
I grew up in Maryland, in a house full of books! Both of my parents were avid readers, thank goodness. Before we traveled to a new area, my librarian-mom used to bring home historical novels set in that place. It was a great way to get excited about history.

I began writing stories when I was maybe 10 or 11. At 15 I wrote my first novel; I sold my first novel to a publisher 20 years later! Writing
More about Kathleen Ernst...

American Girls: Caroline (6 books)
  • Caroline's Secret Message (American Girls: Caroline, #2)
  • A Surprise for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #3)
  • Caroline Takes a Chance (American Girls: Caroline, #4)
  • Caroline's Battle (American Girls: Caroline, #5)
  • Changes for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #6)