Start by marking “Steam Legion” as Want to Read:
Steam Legion

Steam Legion

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  283 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The Library would not burn. Dyna of Sparta would not allow it, on her life and her ancestors she so swore.

An Epic adventure set during the Early Roman Empire's era of expansion and unrest. Steam Legion develops from a real historical crossroads and explodes out in a new direction, derailing our history centuries before the first railroads were invented.

When the revolts aga
Published April 18th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Steam Legion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steam Legion

Evan Currie
Apr 19, 2012 Evan Currie rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey it's my book, I'm not going to give it less than 5 stars. :)

Ok, seriously, Steam Legion is a step out for me but I think it really worked. Just check out the preview on Amazon if you're not sure whether you want to get into swords and spears after venturing with me through warzones of lasers and nukes... I think that the first few pages will convince you to walk along with me to ancient Rome and Alexandria.

Dyna of Sparta, apprentice to Heron of Alexandria, finds herself in a tight spot durin
Mario
May 02, 2012 Mario rated it it was amazing
I really liked that book because its original, its set in the Roman period, it has steam punk, one very awesome spartan Lady, its full of action, entertainment and cool characters.

A very entertaining read I highly recommend!
Heather
Apr 25, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
The characters in this book spend their time as follows:
10% eye rolling
10% banter
5% working on Three (3) steam-powered devices
5% miscellaneous contemplation (including detached political intrigue, which I can only assume is to set up for a--Heaven help us--sequel)
5% contemplation of steam baths and what might go on there (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, knowhatimean?)
65% slicing through skulls, spilling entrails, and wading through ankle-deep mud created by the blood of their enemies

One point five st
Timothy J. Feeley
Jun 29, 2015 Timothy J. Feeley rated it it was amazing
Pleasantly Surprised

I had considered reading this book a while back, but something put me off. Last week I decided to give it a try, and it was better than I expected. I'm a history enthusiast, so I enjoyed the historical references. I'll read the next one, without a doubt
Droewyn
This book started with an attempted gang rape, which didn't endear itself to me. That it went on to be a quick read that was great fun is entirely to the story's credit, as I was pretty much predisposed to dislike it at that point. The characters were enjoyable (and for the Strong Female Character to *not* get a romance subplot was particularly great), the battle scenes were well-written, and the history was well-researched. I did roll my eyes when the heroine was given a custom set of armor wit ...more
Dustin
May 27, 2012 Dustin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes military fiction, alt-history, or steampunk
Shelves: favorite-reads
Evan Currie has managed to do it again. First he wowed me with his amazing military sci-fi chops in "On Silver Wings" and "Valkyrie Rising", and now he does it again with "Steam Legion". The social mannerisms of the era, the technology, the 'what if?" factor.... They all make for an extremely compelling read. Combine Currie's excellent worldbuilding with a cast of great and complex characters and I eagerly await the continuation of this series. It has great potential.

Let me just leave with one
Jerry Merica-jones
Apr 20, 2016 Jerry Merica-jones rated it it was amazing
Fast action

The book has a believable plot and constant action. A nifty piece of historical fiction with a plausible story line.
Bill Sullivan
Sep 08, 2013 Bill Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Evan Currie has jumped from warp speed to early Rome in Steam Legion. This story takes place during the Hebrew rebellion against Rome. When Alexandra is being rioted in by Zealots the Lady Dyna a student at the library of Alexandria takes control of the remaining legion and uses the library information to save the city and defeat the uprising. From there she helps save Roman interests in the area and stops the uprising in Egypt and developing more weapons and raising a new legion to help save Ro ...more
David Campbell
Jul 29, 2015 David Campbell rated it liked it
Entertaining enough, but reads more like fanfic than a published novel. Several noticeable typos as well.
S.L. Figuhr
Mar 26, 2014 S.L. Figuhr rated it liked it
An interesting mash-up with a strong female lead. But...too much eye-rolling by the characters.
Jason
Mar 02, 2016 Jason rated it liked it
Interesting, fun intersection of steampunk and historical fiction. Currie portrays the zealot uprising of the first century with the twist of what would happen if Hero of Alexandria were just a little more technologically advanced. It's a great take on steampunk in a pre-Victorian era.
Steve Willer
Jul 28, 2013 Steve Willer rated it really liked it
This is a fun book. Alternate histories are always a lot of fun, and this one is also rare because it tackles Roman Empire times rather than the usual 20th century wars. I can't wait for the sequels I'm sure are coming.
Tim
Nov 06, 2012 Tim rated it did not like it
Could not finish it. I have read five books by this author and they got 4-5 stars ratings from me but this one was a miss. Characters were lacking in interest and the book just dragged for me.
Scott Stillman
Sep 26, 2013 Scott Stillman rated it it was amazing
Steam punk Romans with a strong female lead. Yep. Being sick sucks so I was forced to just plow though this. Can't wait for Steam legion II to come out. Great job Evan.
Larry
May 08, 2013 Larry rated it it was ok
Not a bad way to kill an afternoon if you like the concept of steam/legion mashup concept with a plucky intellectual heroine. Readable.
Barry
Aug 31, 2012 Barry rated it really liked it

An enjoyable kick ass novel incorporating some modern type apiances with the swords of the Roman legions. Recommend.
Micah Robinson
Aug 21, 2013 Micah Robinson rated it it was amazing
Good alternate history novel of Rome mixed with a steam punk premise. I recommend this book as a good page flipper
Steve
Jun 12, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
Was a fun read, have liked Evans scifi books and character, so is alt-history fantasy or scifi?
Gimme A Dream
Aug 06, 2012 Gimme A Dream rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Unique with a clever plot in a setting of high impact action. It is a must read!
Michael
Oct 08, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It carried me to that time with vivid description and intrigue.
Pilu Kasper Bech
Jan 23, 2013 Pilu Kasper Bech rated it it was amazing
Great book looking forward to the next in the serie
Matthew Hyde
Matthew Hyde rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Matthew Whitehead
Matthew Whitehead marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Seth
Seth rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
John Carter
John Carter marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Jerrod Pratt
Jerrod Pratt rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Brian Wawok
Brian Wawok rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Regan Martin
Regan Martin rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Lance E. Glowacki
Lance E. Glowacki rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Jim
Jim added it
Apr 27, 2016
  • Guardian of the Freedom (Merlin's Descendents, #5)
  • North Reich
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • Archie Meets Nero Wolfe: A Prequel to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries (Nero Wolfe Novels by Robert Goldsborough #8)
  • Battle for Proxima (Star Crusades Uprising, #4)
  • Spectre  (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy, #1)
  • Dragon Ship (Theo Waitley, #4; Liaden Universe, #17)
  • Expendable Few: A Spinward Fringe Novel
  • The Lodestone Trilogy
  • Riding the Rock (Xelee Sequence, #7)
  • Nights of Steel
  • Astra: Synchronicity
  • Campy: The Two Lives of Roy Campanella
  • The Lady Machinist (Curiosity Chronicles, #1)