Start by marking “Steam Legion” as Want to Read:
Steam Legion

Steam Legion

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The Library would not burn. Dyna of Sparta would not allow it, on her life and her ancestors she so swore.

An Epic adventure set during the Early Roman Empire's era of expansion and unrest. Steam Legion develops from a real historical crossroads and explodes out in a new direction, derailing our history centuries before the first railroads were invented.

When the revolts aga
Published April 18th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Steam Legion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steam Legion

Evan C.
Apr 19, 2012 Evan C. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey it's my book, I'm not going to give it less than 5 stars. :)

Ok, seriously, Steam Legion is a step out for me but I think it really worked. Just check out the preview on Amazon if you're not sure whether you want to get into swords and spears after venturing with me through warzones of lasers and nukes... I think that the first few pages will convince you to walk along with me to ancient Rome and Alexandria.

Dyna of Sparta, apprentice to Heron of Alexandria, finds herself in a tight spot durin
Mario
I really liked that book because its original, its set in the Roman period, it has steam punk, one very awesome spartan Lady, its full of action, entertainment and cool characters.

A very entertaining read I highly recommend!
Heather
The characters in this book spend their time as follows:
10% eye rolling
10% banter
5% working on Three (3) steam-powered devices
5% miscellaneous contemplation (including detached political intrigue, which I can only assume is to set up for a--Heaven help us--sequel)
5% contemplation of steam baths and what might go on there (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, knowhatimean?)
65% slicing through skulls, spilling entrails, and wading through ankle-deep mud created by the blood of their enemies

One point five st
Dustin
May 27, 2012 Dustin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes military fiction, alt-history, or steampunk
Shelves: favorite-reads
Evan Currie has managed to do it again. First he wowed me with his amazing military sci-fi chops in "On Silver Wings" and "Valkyrie Rising", and now he does it again with "Steam Legion". The social mannerisms of the era, the technology, the 'what if?" factor.... They all make for an extremely compelling read. Combine Currie's excellent worldbuilding with a cast of great and complex characters and I eagerly await the continuation of this series. It has great potential.

Let me just leave with one
Bill Sullivan
Evan Currie has jumped from warp speed to early Rome in Steam Legion. This story takes place during the Hebrew rebellion against Rome. When Alexandra is being rioted in by Zealots the Lady Dyna a student at the library of Alexandria takes control of the remaining legion and uses the library information to save the city and defeat the uprising. From there she helps save Roman interests in the area and stops the uprising in Egypt and developing more weapons and raising a new legion to help save Ro ...more
S.L. Figuhr
An interesting mash-up with a strong female lead. But...too much eye-rolling by the characters.
Jason
Interesting, fun intersection of steampunk and historical fiction. Currie portrays the zealot uprising of the first century with the twist of what would happen if Hero of Alexandria were just a little more technologically advanced. It's a great take on steampunk in a pre-Victorian era.
Steve Willer
This is a fun book. Alternate histories are always a lot of fun, and this one is also rare because it tackles Roman Empire times rather than the usual 20th century wars. I can't wait for the sequels I'm sure are coming.
Tim
Could not finish it. I have read five books by this author and they got 4-5 stars ratings from me but this one was a miss. Characters were lacking in interest and the book just dragged for me.
Scott Stillman
Steam punk Romans with a strong female lead. Yep. Being sick sucks so I was forced to just plow though this. Can't wait for Steam legion II to come out. Great job Evan.
Larry
Not a bad way to kill an afternoon if you like the concept of steam/legion mashup concept with a plucky intellectual heroine. Readable.
Barry

An enjoyable kick ass novel incorporating some modern type apiances with the swords of the Roman legions. Recommend.
Micah Robinson
Good alternate history novel of Rome mixed with a steam punk premise. I recommend this book as a good page flipper
Steve
Was a fun read, have liked Evans scifi books and character, so is alt-history fantasy or scifi?
Gimme A Dream
Unique with a clever plot in a setting of high impact action. It is a must read!
Michael
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It carried me to that time with vivid description and intrigue.
Pilu Kasper Bech
Great book looking forward to the next in the serie
Gerhard
Gerhard marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Foggygirl
Foggygirl marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Pat (Scorpio)
Pat (Scorpio) marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
C
C marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
  • Rising Sun
  • Tears of Kerberos (Star Crusades Uprising, #2)
  • When The Bough Breaks (The Empire's Corps, #3)
  • Dragon Ship (Theo Waitley, #4) (Liaden Universe, #17)
  • Spectre  (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy, #1)
  • Liberation (The Frontiers Saga, #10)
  • The Sunfire (The Redemption Trilogy, #2)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 7: Framework (Spinward Fringe, #7, Rogue Element, #3)
  • A Sword Into Darkness
  • C.R.O.W. (The Union Series, #1)
  • Timepiece (Timepiece #1)
  • Astra: Synchronicity
Odyssey One (Odyssey One, #1) Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3) The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2) On Silver Wings (Hayden War Cycle, #1) Valkyrie Rising (Hayden War Cycle, #2)