Start by marking “The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators” as Want to Read:

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  3,337 ratings  ·  66 reviews
The definitive book on animation, from the Academy Award-winning animator behind Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Animation is one of the hottest areas of filmmaking today--and the master animator who bridges the old generation and the new is Richard Williams. During his more than forty years in the business, Williams has been one of the true innovators, winning three Academy Award
Published January 7th 2002 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Animator's Survival Kit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Animator's Survival Kit

Bert
After reading this, I quit my job and went back to school to learn all about animation! Interesting, up-to-date, "complete" and very useful guide.
Maya
This book is an invaluable reference for anyone doing any level of character animation. There are diagrams for creating and timing a good walk cycle (as well as other actions), adding a more organic feel and weight, bringing in props, etc. These diagrams and the explanations surrounding them are things I go back to over and over again. I have never seen the process explained so clearly. When you get the book, if you are new to animation it is a good idea to read through the first few chapters at ...more
Jellysix
Excellent book for anyone interested in animation. There's a a pretty good history of the medium, and plently of first hand accounts (and second and third hands too) of working in the business. All written in a very enjoyable, loose, often funny style. There are quite a few pages of pretty technical drawings, which the person with a more general interest will probably skip over (as I mostly did), but they'd probably be very useful for anyone interested in actually producing their own cell animat ...more
Chris
Overall Rating: 5

“The Animator’s Survival Kit” is invaluable manual for animation enthusiasts. Although on the cover it says for classical, computer, games, stop motion and internet animators it is also perfect for traditional artists, comic book artists and illustrators, who want to improve their skills in posture, gait and general motion continuity. It’s detailed and basic, presenting all rules of turning pictures into a movie, all the little tricks of animation you never knew and would have
JK Riki
One of the must-own books for any animator, it can only be bested by also buying the Animated Animator's Survival Kit on DVD, which has moving examples of many of the book's lessons and is still one of the most useful things I have ever seen in my animation career. Pricey, but worth every penny.
Elizabeth Goldring
A must have companion for any aspiring animator, It's also an amazing help to comprehend the 2 dimensional flow and movement and its keys and pace for illustration. I read and re read it whenever I can or open it in a certain chapter to work a lot.
Tony
This is really a reference book and although I have read - or rather looked at - the entire book I shall be referring to it in the future. It is impressive and covers every aspect of animation that interests me.
Erik Amill
Apr 17, 2012 Erik Amill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students of illustration, animation, and cartooning. Folks interested in animation techniques.
Shelves: how-tos
One of the best books I've ever had to buy for a class. The Animator's Survival Kit has helped me in everything from the animation class I got it for to my current graphic design projects and adding that extra bit of life my comics.

Richard Williams shares his stories and helps the reader understand the basics of animation in a clear and entertaining way. You'd be hard pressed to find a better way to both introduce new techniques and remind yourself of the fundamentals. Williams' artwork alone ma
Felicia
ANYONE thinking about doing animation or illustration should read this book. It's extremely helpful and easy to understand.
Amanda
Fantastic! My favorite part has to be that the font looks more like handwriting so I feel like I'm getting a personal tutorial.
Jodie
Every animator should own this book, read this book, and re-read this book. A wonderful resource.
Sander
Essential must-read for anyone who wants to be in motion graphics for a living.
Alterstuart
If you are interested in making animation, get this book.
Sere
The *best* animation book ever written, imho. I *finally* got it today and even though I was supposed to be working on other stuff I just couldn't put it down.

The first part of the book is about Williams' past and his experience...I assumed I was going to skip it and go directly to the technical bits, which is why I bought the book in the first place, but no, the whole manual is full of things and tricks a wanna-be animator (doesn't matter if traditional or 3d artist) just need to know. Great r
P
After 75 years, the secret techniques of traditional animators have finally been published for mass consumption. A few dozen years ago, Richard Williams put himself in a unique position to document the methods used by the masters of both the Disney and Warner schools of animation. No book covers these production techniques even half as good. This is not a history book or even a book for cartoon buffs, this is a practical how-to manual for people wanting to learn the art of creating cartoon movem ...more
Lota Carolina
Fantastic book I would recomend for anyone dealing with animation. Even if you work with any other art form, I suggest you take it and read it. A lot changed in my own practice after I read it and I don't even work with animation - much good advice on technical questions and how to observe people. I keep reading it again and again and I haven't regretted getting it since.
Chewbatrij
One of the quintessential ressources for an animator.
Natasha
An excellent book and one that no doubt I will revisit. I’m an absolute beginner in this subject and this book was very helpful in breaking down and studying actions while also providing pointers for how to make variations on actions. Williams' drawings were simple and easy to follow while his writing style was entertaining as well as informative.
Amy M
As a beginner whose barely touched upon the surface of 'Animation', I'd have to say that I've found Blair's animation book and Barron's Animation production book more helpful so take that as you will.

I could see this as being a very practical reference book, especially the walking diagrams. Otherwise it may come down to personal taste.
J.T.
This is BY FAR the best book on animation out there with thousands of drawings demonstrating the basic and advanced concepts of animation. What differences these book from the others is that this one has more drawings than words. Every single basic action such as walking, jumping, waving and so on are described in this book.
Alec Longstreth
It took me more than a year to read this book - a little bit at a time - a few pages a week. A lot of the information went over my head, but I still enjoyed every minute of it. I look forward to rereading this in years to come, and hopefully understanding a bit more on each pass through. Highly recommended!
Jesse Bray
This is one of the most important books any animator can own. You may not find yourself reading it over and over again but you'll never need a better reference guide. The only thing this book truly lacks is a graphic designers touch to update the layout of the book to modernise these timeless principles.
Amanda Hamilton
 photo tumblr_l0jkg1V1ri1qzc98h.gif

My mind is blown...
Bethanie
Apr 03, 2012 Bethanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Animators, animation nerds
If you're considering a career in animation this book is for you. This isn't a how to draw book, it's how to make animation work. Though pricey (my copy was used), I would highly recommend it for anyone who hopes to become an animator or is just a huge animation nerd (like moi).
Grania
May 09, 2007 Grania rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like drawing the same thing multiple times with only small variations
Shelves: le-geek
The animator's survival kit shows that it is a good idea to stare at people and see how they move, and that you can combine this with a love of Hanna Barbera, The Simpsons, and South Park. It actually makes re-drawing the same thing endlessly seem like a good, interesting pass-time.
Autumn
It's a good book for basic information in character animation. However, it focuses only on animation and not the entire process of animation production. There are a lot of holes you need to fill in - storyboarding, casting, and that sort of thing. But great for how to animate
Josh
I can hardly believe it myself, but I read this book from start to finish, quickly. It is fascinating, because you learn way more than animating in this book. You learn why and how the body moves, and what that tells you about a person. Absolutely fascinating.
Nomad
"The whole idea is to already have the knowledge absorbed into your bloodstream, and then it's automatic." - Richard Williams

Really good book, the principles can be applied to 3d animation aswell. Found it really useful especially the animal motion section. 5/5!!
Jamie
In my attempt to animate a short film, this book has been a phenomal read, and a huge help. No one I know knows anything about animation, and neither do I, so this book is the best I've got, and the only book of it's kind. THANK YOU RICHARD WILLIAMS!
Martin
Fantastic book. Read and re reading all the time. Full of great stories and insights into drawing, motion, dynamism not just for animation but its helped my over all drawing. If your into drawing and animation this is a must.
Traditional Anima...: Influential Texts 2 9 Apr 26, 2015 01:11PM
  • The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
  • Cartoon Animation
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 1
  • Character Animation Crash Course!
  • Timing for Animation
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • The Animator's Workbook: Step-By-Step Techniques of Drawn Animation
  • Dream Worlds: Production Design for Animation
  • Creating Characters with Personality
  • Animation (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Dynamic Anatomy
  • Successful Drawing
  • Of Mice and Magic: A History of American Animated Cartoons; Revised and Updated
  • Chuck Amuck: The Life and Time of an Animated Cartoonist
  • The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature
  • The Art of Pixar: 25th Anniv.: The Complete Color Scripts and Select Art from 25 Years of Animation
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
Richard Williams (born March 19, 1933) is a Canadian–British animator. He is best known for serving as animation director on Disney/Amblin's Who Framed Roger Rabbit and for his unfinished feature film The Thief and the Cobbler . He was also a film title sequence designer and animator; his most famous works in this field included the title sequences to What's New, Pussycat? (1965) and title and ...more
More about Richard Williams...