Start by marking “Confession Is Murder” as Want to Read:
Confession Is Murder

Confession Is Murder (Patron Saint Mysteries)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  26 reviews
For middle-aged "Jersey girl," Lucille Mazzarella, only two things in life really count--her family and her friends. When her brother-in-law's body falls out of the confessional at church, everything she holds dear is threatened, especially when the police arrest her husband for the murder. Plagued by hot flashes, a thickening waistline, a mother addicted to the home shopp ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Amazon Digital (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Confession Is Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confession Is Murder

Sue Ross
Confession is Murder is the first in the latest series by Peg Cochran. This series “stars” Lucille, a middle age mother and wife who finds the dead body of her sister-in-laws husband in the confessional at the local church. There is more than one death in this book, and you will have a hard time figuring out who done it….at least I did. This book didn’t leave me wanting anything and I will be reading the next and the book after that in the series. I enjoy Peg Cochran’s books. She can make you fe ...more
Feb 06, 2015 Nancy added it
Lucille Mazzarella, from Jersey, is an endearing fun-loving girl, who cares about her family and her friends. In this book, she finds her brother-in-law dead in the confessional at the local church, where she works and sets out to figure out what happened. Along the way, she copes with a pregnant but totally unambitious daughter, friends who surprise her with longstanding secrets they never did tell her though being BFF, a husband who, like her, is going through the strains or middle age and a s ...more
Lucille is a middle aged woman who works at her church, cooks and bakes for everyone she knows and has just asked her husband to move out.

This is a quick mystery read. And I am a big fan of cozy mysteries.

First of all, Lucille is an interesting character and as a lead, she is very viable. The secondary characters all add to the story. And the plot is well developed. People who are in the small town where Lucille lives are all either related in some way, or they attend the same church.

If I were
RO G'ma
I enjoyed reading Confession Is Murder. The story moved along quickly, with laugh out loud moments, the quirky characters and surprise ending were great. The storyline flows smoothly, which makes for an enjoyable read.

Writing in the vernacular when the characters are speaking is one thing, but to write an entire book with incorrect pronouns, wrong verb tenses and double negatives distracts from the story. There were times when I couldn’t determine if there was a typo, a missing word or a word th
Lucille Mazzarella is a middle-aged housewife living in New Jersey. The most important things in her life are her husband, daughter and her extended family and friends. Things go crazy for Lucille when she throws her husband out of the house, her daughter has boyfriend problems, her mother buys non-stop from QVC and most of all…she stumbles upon her brother-in-law who falls out of a church confessional, very much dead!

Lucille’s husband, Frankie, and her brother-in-law, Joseph, are partners in a
Janet Emson
I received a copy of this book from the publishers via Net Galley and this is my honest review.

Lucille Mazzarella is at work in her local church when out of the confessional tumbles her brother-in-law Joseph. She soon realises that he is dead and that he was murdered. With her loved ones implicated she decides to take matters into her own hands and investigate for herself.

I love a 'cozy' mystery and this has all the makings of such a book, it has the small town atmosphere, quirky characters and
Debbie Price
Lucille Mazzarella has a very full, and somewhat busy, life. Not only does she do all of the house work, she works at church, has a mom who is addicted to the shopping channel, a middle-aged waistline that seems to be expanding and a husband who has wiped out her savings account. Oh, then there is the small problem of her brother-in-law that fell out of the confessional, at her feet, very dead.

Lucille, along with her best friend Flo and a host of Saints, solve the murder and hopefully, for now,
Teresa Kander
This is my first experience with this author. While I like the premise of the series (a middle aged woman devoted to family, friends, and faith) and enjoyed the characters, I had a few issues with the writing. I can understand using dialect in the dialogue of characters, but when it comes in the descriptive/explanatory paragraphs as well, it becomes too much of a distraction.

Other than that, this was a great book. Lucille is determined to find the killer of her brother-in-law, to exonerate the s
Gina Smith
Lucille is working at the church when the body of her brother-in-law slides out of the confessional and lands in her path. First her daughter's boyfriend is arrested, and then someone even closer to her. Lucille starts to investigate the crime on her own and what she uncovers is that people have been keeping a lot of secret. Can she get down to the bottom of what really happened? An interesting mystery.
* I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Annie Adams
a Cute cozy about a mature, Lucille, living in her Italian neighborhood in New Jersey. She works at the local Catholic church and her husband and his friend run a local pest control company until she finds the friend dead in the confessional and her husband arrested for murder. An old boyfriend is the lead detective and the cast of suspects all grew up together. A nice little read.
Terri Crossley
With big Sunday dinners and prayers to every saint you could think of I felt like I was back at home while reading this book! With laughter, romance, and mystery this book has it all and will keep you guessing till the very end! I highly recommend this book and hope you will give it a try you won't be disappointed!
Patricia Jackson
Hometown NJ

So glad I read about this series and bought it. Easy reading and that it referred to my hometown throughout thrilled me . Thanks Peg - great book
I love this book. Peg Cochran is a wonderful author. I love the characters and the things they go through to help each other. This book is a must read!
Lucille is a fun character. I can't wait to see what she does next.
Jun 02, 2012 DonnaCarol rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any one that likes a Cozy Mystery and does not mind a little language.
Recommended to DonnaCarol by: Kindle for PC
I wasnt sure how I was going to like this book as I read the first few chapters.I was concerned that the language might be a problem, but it was kept quite light and it actually did seem to fit the characters and was not added awkwardly for "affect and drama". The more I read, the more they all came to life. Even those that made short appearances, like Cousin Louis. Good humor. The murderer was woven skillfully in amongst other suspects leaving me changing my mind every few chapters about "who d ...more
I did like the story that was written here. I really liked the references to the patron saints throughout the book. Lucille is quite interesting. And I didn't really guess who did it at all.

The one thing I did not care for was the grammar. It was quite distracting to me. But I am sure it was supposed to be part of Lucille's character and it can not have been easy to write it that way.

I will read the next book in the series sometime. It will be fun to see which other patron saints Lucille calls u
Sally Malkowski
Peg Cochran is a new author to me, but she will henceforth be engraved in my memory bank. Her characters are believeable and loveable and ... human. Her style is one I can easily associate with ... dialogue, humor, and knowledge of the subject(s) (the Catholic Church, solving a murder and the Italian culture). Bravo, Peg! I would rate this book 4 and 3/4 stars if I could! I look forward to a sequel.
Peg is a middle-aged, slightly overweight Italian Jersey girl who's just thrown out her husband. Peg's brother-in-law is found dead in church. Peg's best friend's son is accused and Peg starts to investigate on her own since the police must have the wrong guy.

Fun and fast read.
The characters were hysterical and I really enjoyed that aspect (reminded me of my Italian family), but I don't know if it would be as funny reading a series with those characters, so this will probably be the only book that I read if it is a series.
Kathy Meik
A really fun book.

I enjoyed reading about Lucille and her friends. I enjoyed that they were older sleuths. Being a bit older myself, I can relate to some of what they are going through!! I love Peg Cochran's books.!!!
The main character, Lucille, is a hoot! She actually does make a great detective, inviting everyone to Sunday dinner and praying to every conceivable saint for guidance along the way. I can't wait to read her next adventure.
Here is a not to be missed mystery with all elements a reader could require. Title had me fooled for a time. Author knows how to keep interest & provide a story worth your time. Took my time to enjoy the book.
Another creative mystery. Found myself where next twist would come. Liked characters who had substance. Will be reading more from this author.
Judy Jarkovsky
Good light read with characters familiar to me as I am from the area this story takes place in. Really enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot.
Elaine Hubbard
Elaine Hubbard marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Mandi Schalon
Mandi Schalon marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Joslyn marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Characters 1 5 Oct 01, 2012 08:48AM
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • Two Widows and the Thrift Store Murders
  • A Dangerous Woman (A Fay Cunningham Mystery, #1)
  • Backyard Bones (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #2)
  • Too Close to Miss (Mara Cunningham Series, #1)
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
  • Irrefutable
  • Bats and Bones (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries, #1)
  • The Main Line Is Murder (A Ginger Barnes Mystery, #1)
  • Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)
  • Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Trial Junkies
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • Livin' Lahaina Loca (Islands of Aloha Mystery, #2)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (Myrtle Clover Cozy Mysteries #2)
  • Buyer's Remorse (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries, #3)
  • At Large (Josephine Fuller, #3)

“was going to have a fit. Too bad. The shop was locked, so nothing was going to happen to it.” 0 likes
“Go on in,” the desk sergeant called to Lucille.” 0 likes