Start by marking “A Flicker of Light” as Want to Read:
A Flicker of Light

A Flicker of Light

In 1935, the Nazi's established a program called “The Lebensborn.”

Their agenda, to genetically engineer perfect Aryan children.

These children were to be the new master race, once HItler had cleared all undesirable elements out of Europe. Within a year the first institution was built.

The year is 1943....

The forests of Munich are crawling with danger under the rule of "The
Published (first published January 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Flicker of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Flicker of Light

Denise
Aug 11, 2012 Denise rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. This book deals with Nazi Germany. Petra, a young Danish girl falls in love with a soldier in Hitler's army, becomes pregnant, leaves her family and goes to what she and her lover think is a safe place in Munich, Germany where she can have her baby, while he is away fulfilling his military obligations on the Russian front. She has second thoughts about this "safe haven" and flees into the woods, where she finds refuge on a farm, belonging to an elderly ch ...more
Caitlin
Aug 23, 2012 Caitlin rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I did enjoy reading it, but there were a number of negatives about it.

The first thing that struck me when I started reading the book was that the writing was not spectacular. It was written better than the average person could write but not up to the standards I've come to expect from good authors.

A lot of what happened in the book seemed too easy for the characters and does not seem as if it would be possible in the actual times that Nazi occupation an
Anne
Sep 11, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any mature reader
Another terrific read by this author. She goes into Germany and the Lebensborn Institutes, started by Heinrich Himmler in order to raise more Aryan children for the Nazi Reich. Many of the girls were not married and went there because they considered it to be a priveledge to bear a child for Hitler. Petra, however, realized that this might not be best for her, and she escapes from the Lebensborn house, and the rest is her story. This was another of Himmler's nutty ideas. He was also fascinated b ...more
Rachel
Aug 17, 2012 Rachel rated it did not like it
Alas, this was too bad to finish. I made it about three quarters of the way through, but the stilted dialogue finally got to me. Considering the setting (Nazi Germany during WWII), everything moved way too smoothly - Petra's escape from the Lebensborn program, Aaron's family/girlfriend fleeing to America, finding/living/being supported by Hans and Siegland... I could go on. It was just too glossy for a story that could have been gritty and real.
Rachael
Dec 15, 2012 Rachael rated it it was ok
I enjoy WW2 books but found this one to be one if the lesser well written ones. The storyline was good but parts were quite abrupt and I didn't feel a strong attachment to many if the characters. I feel this would have been better with some of the deaths drawn out a bit.
Lauraloves
May 07, 2012 Lauraloves rated it really liked it
I downloaded this book as it was free for a day on Amazon and Nazi Germany is a subject that i am interested in. I had never heard of The Lebensborn program and to me this was really horrible thing to have ever happened.

This book is about Petra who escapes the Lebensborn programme despite being a fair few months pregnant. She goes through the German countryside in the hope of being able to find her way home, but ends up at a farmhouse where a couple have never been able to have children. They ta
Crystal Peterson
Feb 05, 2013 Crystal Peterson rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon A Flicker of Light while going through my friends Kindle, and since we were at the beach, decided to read it. Firstly, I love love love the sketched cover art. (I truly do judge books by the cover, and this one passed!) We follow Petra and Aaron throughout this riveting, sometimes ‘edge-of-your-seat’ and romantic story set in 1943. Petra is pregnant, running from Germany (already so heart wrenching) and running towards what is hopefully freedom. It is so hard to find a good Nazi ...more
Debbi
Jul 19, 2015 Debbi rated it liked it
A fictional WWII story about a unmarried couple (he's German, she's Norweigan) who get pregnant and since he's been drafted by the Nazi's and her family has thrown her out, they apply for and receive admittance to the "Lebersborn" project. This was Hitler's breeding program to make the prefect Aryan race. Since the father was German they would be allowed to adopt their baby as long as they followed strict Nazi doctrine in their home. Well, Hans, the father, dies at the Russian front which means ...more
Tina Galli
Jul 28, 2013 Tina Galli rated it it was amazing
It amazes me the atrocities that occurred during the holocaust. This is the second book From Roberta Kagan that I have read and again I am astounded at how well written her novels are. If you have been searching for an author that writes a great historical fiction book about the holocaust then you have found her! This particular book had a happy ending along with a few heartaches as well. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable read.
David Brown
Jan 29, 2016 David Brown rated it liked it
This is a light read principally about a girl who has babies with every man she meets. Of course she falls deeply in love and cannot help herself. It is described as a Holocaust novel but this is a bit of an over claim. The war is going on but most of the time it barely touches the protagonists. In the last quarter it becomes more real but, in my opinion, is still pretty superficial.
Gail
Aug 13, 2016 Gail rated it it was amazing
I was given this book free in exchange of an honest review. The story covers a period of almost 6 years following Petra and several others through the war and its atrocities of the Nazis. The story is well told and the author brings the various characters to life. At times I cried became angry or. . smiled. This is a great story and I highly recommend it to all who like stories of World War 2
Darsie
Feb 09, 2017 Darsie rated it it was ok
I am sorry to say that I would not recommend this book.

I am reading the Kindle version of this book and it does not have the cover art shown here... mine has a row of identically dressed women in brown, doing a Hitler salute.

I am now over 1/3 of the way through this book and so far, I have not read the depictions of the Holocaust that I was expecting. The blurb made it seem that the Lebensborn programme was forcing young women to become pregnant, and while that might have been the case for some
Jeff Dawson
Nov 24, 2016 Jeff Dawson rated it it was ok
Introduction
“In 1935, the Nazi's established a program called “The Lebensborn.”

Their agenda, to genetically engineer perfect Aryan children.

These children were to be the new master race, once Hitler had cleared all undesirable elements out of Europe. Within a year the first institution was built.”

Sounds like a compelling read, doesn’t it? Since I’d never read anything on the topic, I was intrigued. The cover also helped convince me to give it a go.

This is not what the story is about by a long
Joyce
Jan 24, 2017 Joyce rated it liked it
This is a formula book. Non German girl has sex with a German soldier WWII. She gets pregnant and runs away from home. He is sent to the Russian front and is killed. She runs to a group home for unwed mothers whose babies will be taken away. She runs away and is taken in by a German couple who unofficially adopt her and her baby. Life happens. A Jewish man hides in their root cellar. She falls in love, has sex, gets pregnant. He is caught and sent to a concentration camp...
Carol
Jan 29, 2017 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Satisfactory Book

It does need some editing to clean up errors though.
If you are unfamiliar with what went on during WWII in Europe this book will provide a basic overview, it covers just about everything. There are lots of books which provide more depth.
It's not as depressing as most.
Sandra
Feb 18, 2017 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story

This book was written with passion, understanding and truly feelable emotion. I am an avid reader about the Times of the holocaust and I found this to be. equal to the works of Brock and Bodie Thorne.
Cheryl
Jan 13, 2017 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A flicker of hope

I felt the book was well written. It is a work of fiction but based on truth's of what happened with the occupation during the 2ed world war in Europe. The victims of the war was well presented.
Jeanne Cole
Nov 25, 2016 Jeanne Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

This story, although fictional could well be factual. The characters were very believable and their story well told. The historical significance of this time period should never be forgotten.
Jeanne
Dec 18, 2016 Jeanne rated it it was ok
The Nazi birth program, the persecution of Jews, a love story, concentration camps, Warsaw Ghetto, and on and on…. This story jumps around far too much trying to include all aspects of this horrific period. It could have used a good editor.
Janine Davis
Feb 11, 2017 Janine Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting both in its horror and redemption.

It's hard to imagine all that happened during this dark time in buman history but one thing stands abundantly clear...we as a human race must never allow anything like this to ever happen again.
Lora G Coonce
Flickered Out

The storyline of this book is like a tangled ball of yarn. It appears to be about one thing, then jumps around. Very poor ending. It appears the author ran out of time or energy and tied up the tangled loose ends in a few paragraphs.
Glady
Jan 30, 2017 Glady rated it it was ok
Poorly edited novel with overly simplistic characters and sentence structure. The only reason I gave it two stars was because of the section on Lebensborn,.
Jeri Stofa
Holocaust story that reads well

Good and honest story, twists and turns do keep the reader involved, very fast read, due to romantic interactions not recommended for younger readers
Marietjie Steyn
Jan 11, 2017 Marietjie Steyn rated it liked it
Blah! 'n Romantiese weergawe van die Tweede Wêreldoorlog.
Leslie Strickland
Loved the Story

Very entertaining, sweet romance; somewhat predictable with fairy tale ending but enjoyable read. Most women would enjoy the book.
ELLEN T. MADSEN
Would have given 5 stars but...

I really enjoyed the story and the historical nature of this novel. But, the explicit sexual content really ruined it for me.
Laurie
Dec 18, 2016 Laurie rated it it was ok
The description of this book indicated it was about the Lebensborn program run by the Nazi's during WW2. It was not. I was disappointed because I thought it was a good premise for a WW2 novel. No, this was a Danielle Steeleified version of the horrors of the holocaust. Mildly entertaining story about beautiful people going through tough times. The story of a "good" girl who sleeps with, and has babies with any man that is nice to her and a childless couple who want a child so bad that they accep ...more
Thom Swennes
Mar 16, 2016 Thom Swennes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-e-book
War makes a victim of everyone it touches, even those yet unborn.
An intricate part of the Nazi doctrine is the progression, improvement, and protection of the Arian race. Blonde hair and blue eyes were the trademarks of this supposedly superior race and they went to extreme measures to perpetrate this goal. Likewise, the Final Solution and the extermination of all Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, and all people with mental or physical defects was also part of this doctrine.
The concept of this book f
Pam
Apr 26, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing
A Flicker of Light is by Roberta Kagan. It is an excellent Holocaust fiction. It is concerned with the Lebensborn.
Petra Jorgenson had come from Norway to Heim Hockland and the Steinhoring Institute for Lebensborn when she got pregnant by a German soldier, Hans. Her parents threw her out and Hans found out about Lebensborn from is brother who was Waffen-SS. She would go there and in six months when Hans finished his service to the Reich, he would come claim her and marry her. Then she finds out
Brenda Vogel
Dec 14, 2016 Brenda Vogel rated it really liked it
Great historical fiction! Filled with love, hope and tragedies.
  • Bette (Women of Ivy Manor, #2)
  • The Storyteller's Beads
  • Finding Rebecca
  • Anca's Story
  • A Bride for One Night: Talmud Tales
  • Picnic at the Iron Curtain: A Memoir: From the fall of the Berlin Wall to Ukraine's Orange Revolution
  • Blood For Ink (Scarlet Plumiere, #1)
  • The Wholeness of a Broken Heart
  • Loyal to a Degree
  • The Hadassah Covenant
  • We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
  • Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr
  • The Wall
  • Dark Blood (The Two Vampires, #2)
  • Bold (The Handfasting, #1)
  • Love is a Wounded Soldier
  • Schreiber's Secret
  • The Fire (Northwest Passage, #4)
I’m an American writer of Jewish and Romany decent. I write Historical Fiction and Historical Romance, most of which is set during the holocaust. Although I never discount the horrors of the time period, the main focus of my work is on ordinary people who prove to be strong heroic characters in unfathomable circumstances.

Facebook Author page:

Facebook Book Club:
https:
More about Roberta Kagan...

“There are good Germans. There are bad Jews. I think it is best to look at each person as an individual and to not group people together because of their race or religion. If we start doing that, we might just find we are as bad as the Nazis, right?” 0 likes