Start by marking “A Flicker of Light” as Want to Read:
A Flicker of Light

A Flicker of Light

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In 1935, the Nazi's established a program called “The Lebensborn.”

Their agenda, to genetically engineer perfect Aryan children.

These children were to be the new master race, once HItler had cleared all undesirable elements out of Europe. Within a year the first institution was built.

The year is 1943....

The forests of Munich are crawling with danger under the rule of "The
Published (first published January 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Flicker of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Flicker of Light

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Historical fiction worth reading
86th out of 570 books — 280 voters
All My Love, Detrick by Roberta KaganA Flicker of Light by Roberta KaganOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyYou Are My Sunshine by Roberta Kagan1984 by George Orwell
Perfect Books!
2nd out of 110 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Denise
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. This book deals with Nazi Germany. Petra, a young Danish girl falls in love with a soldier in Hitler's army, becomes pregnant, leaves her family and goes to what she and her lover think is a safe place in Munich, Germany where she can have her baby, while he is away fulfilling his military obligations on the Russian front. She has second thoughts about this "safe haven" and flees into the woods, where she finds refuge on a farm, belonging to an elderly ch ...more
Caitlin
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I did enjoy reading it, but there were a number of negatives about it.

The first thing that struck me when I started reading the book was that the writing was not spectacular. It was written better than the average person could write but not up to the standards I've come to expect from good authors.

A lot of what happened in the book seemed too easy for the characters and does not seem as if it would be possible in the actual times that Nazi occupation an
Anne
Mar 17, 2013 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any mature reader
Another terrific read by this author. She goes into Germany and the Lebensborn Institutes, started by Heinrich Himmler in order to raise more Aryan children for the Nazi Reich. Many of the girls were not married and went there because they considered it to be a priveledge to bear a child for Hitler. Petra, however, realized that this might not be best for her, and she escapes from the Lebensborn house, and the rest is her story. This was another of Himmler's nutty ideas. He was also fascinated b ...more
Rachel
Alas, this was too bad to finish. I made it about three quarters of the way through, but the stilted dialogue finally got to me. Considering the setting (Nazi Germany during WWII), everything moved way too smoothly - Petra's escape from the Lebensborn program, Aaron's family/girlfriend fleeing to America, finding/living/being supported by Hans and Siegland... I could go on. It was just too glossy for a story that could have been gritty and real.
Rachael
I enjoy WW2 books but found this one to be one if the lesser well written ones. The storyline was good but parts were quite abrupt and I didn't feel a strong attachment to many if the characters. I feel this would have been better with some of the deaths drawn out a bit.
Lauraloves
I downloaded this book as it was free for a day on Amazon and Nazi Germany is a subject that i am interested in. I had never heard of The Lebensborn program and to me this was really horrible thing to have ever happened.

This book is about Petra who escapes the Lebensborn programme despite being a fair few months pregnant. She goes through the German countryside in the hope of being able to find her way home, but ends up at a farmhouse where a couple have never been able to have children. They ta
Kellee
Wow. Roberta Kagan has quickly become one of my favorite authors of all time. After I read her other novel, All My Love, Detrick, I knew I had stumbled upon an amazing author and beautiful person. A Flicker of Light just confirmed that she isn't a one hit wonder, she's superbly talented in creating stories that pull at your heart strings. I am literally blown away with how I am so completely captivated and invested in her novels immediately from the moment I open the book until the moment I fini ...more
Crystal Peterson
I stumbled upon A Flicker of Light while going through my friends Kindle, and since we were at the beach, decided to read it. Firstly, I love love love the sketched cover art. (I truly do judge books by the cover, and this one passed!) We follow Petra and Aaron throughout this riveting, sometimes ‘edge-of-your-seat’ and romantic story set in 1943. Petra is pregnant, running from Germany (already so heart wrenching) and running towards what is hopefully freedom. It is so hard to find a good Nazi ...more
Tina Galli
It amazes me the atrocities that occurred during the holocaust. This is the second book From Roberta Kagan that I have read and again I am astounded at how well written her novels are. If you have been searching for an author that writes a great historical fiction book about the holocaust then you have found her! This particular book had a happy ending along with a few heartaches as well. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Linda Branich
This is a fast paced book that I did not want to put cown. Petra falls in love with a young German soldier after the invasion of Norway. Ar 17 she finds herself pregnant and rejected by her family. Her fiance, Hans, makes arrangements for her to go to a facility just outside of Munich, where the Nazis are genetically engineering children to build their Aryan race. When Petra learns of Hans' death at the Russian front she realizes that she will lose her child in one way or another to the Nazis, s ...more
Pat
I think this was a free Kindle book from Amazon. It did have several typos in the German words used (which bugs me), but the story was good. Probably not the BEST WW2 fiction I've read, but I enjoyed it.

Petra Jorgensen is a young and beautiful Norwegian girl who, after a youthful romance with a German soldier named Hans, finds herself pregnant and an embarrassment to her family. Hans arranges for her to enter the Lebensborn program, a Nazi system in which "Aryan" women who met their criteria we
Mindy
This book offered an interesting insight into the different perspectives and experiences of the Holocaust. The beginning was a little slow, but then it seemed like something was always happening for most of the book. If you are looking for a book that shows the true sadness of the Holocaust, then this probably isn't for you. If you are looking for a historical fiction book to read about the Holocaust, then give it a try!
Lexie Miller
Gripping historical story of the Germans, Jews and Nazis during a very dark time. Packed with adventure and thrills a history enthusiastand even avid reader will enjoy. I particularly enjoyed the history an story line helping me to believe there were good people who tried to help the Jews.
Kathy DeShong
"A Flicker of Light" was a Holocaust novel. It's story was told through several different scenarios, which all pulled together in the end. Even though it was inspired by factual events, it had an underlying story of a young couple separated by Nazi Germany, that do survive and find each other in the end.
Theresa
Nazi Germany

This was an excellent book showing the atrocities caused by the Nazis. It had a bittersweet ending as one of the main characters died at the hands of the Nazis.
Pat
I learned more about the Nazi Germans and their treatment of other Germans during the war. Hitler was a crazy man who believed all Germans should be born perfect otherwise they were destroyed. Petra didn't want her baby to be a part of this, so she fled the home for unwed mothers who had promised their babies to the Third Reich. Luckily, she finds a good farming family who takes her in. This book covers her life.
Debbi Vogt
Lots of suspense and action in this book about Nazi Germany. Sometimes hard to understand why certain events were thrown in but overall a quick read.
Jenny
I find it hard to describe such a moving book. A bit to romanticized but maybe this could have happened in such an evil time.
Robin
A quick read, but too many Holocaust events tied into the plot. It was "all over the place."
Sarah Bridgeton
A great historical read. The characters were engaging and well developed enough to keep the story from dragging on. I enjoyed the romance in this book, and look forward to reading more of Ms. Kagan’s books.
M.L. Gardner
Such a heartbreaking time period in history. The author brings the character's trials and tribulations to the forefront and brought me along for the ride. I hoped, I dreamed, and I cried right along with them. What a story!
Stacey Wright Aumock
Probably a 2.5 star book. The dialogue between the characters was painful! Great story idea, but poorly executed - jumped around too much, especially toward the end; way too simplistic considering the subject matter. I really really wanted to love this book - it had such promise - but unfortunately failed to deliver.
Kari
This was a great, quick read. While this story involved romance, the author did a great job not letting it take over the whole story. She captured the atrocities of Nazi Germany, but also showed that there was still goodness in the world.
Cindy
This was a fantastic historical fiction book! I thoroughly enjoyed all of it.
Jennifer Meikrantz
I could've done without the couple of graphic rape and murder descriptions, but the story is AWESOME!
Stacy Moses
very good story. sad, but happy ending. a can't put it down kind of book.
Barbie0492
Very good book. Love the characters and story
Amanda
Great free book!
Kathleen Johnson
Kathleen Johnson marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
  • Finding Rebecca
  • Loyal to a Degree
  • The Sweetwater Trail
  • We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
  • The Warrior's Wife
  • Bold (The Handfasting, #1)
  • The Cost of the Dream (Gastien, #1)
  • The Siren of Paris
  • Silk Road
  • The Whiskey Tide
  • The Hadassah Covenant
  • Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story
  • Blood For Ink (Scarlet Plumiere, #1)
  • Gold Mountain
  • The Red Rooster
  • The Flyer
  • Storm Clouds Rolling In (Bregdan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Remnant - Stories of the Jewish Resistance in WWII (Boomer Book Series)
I’m an American writer of Jewish and Romany decent. I write Historical Fiction and Historical Romance, most of which is set during the holocaust. Although I never discount the horrors of the time period, the main focus of my work is on ordinary people who prove to be strong heroic characters in unfathomable circumstances.

Facebook Author page:

Facebook Book Club:
https:
More about Roberta Kagan...
All My Love, Detrick The Heart of a Gypsy You Are My Sunshine: A Novel Of The Holocaust (All My Love Detrick Companion Novel) Lilith Rising 1969 The Voyage: A Historical Novel set during the Holocaust, inspired by real events