Start by marking “Residue (Residue, #1)” as Want to Read:
Residue (Residue, #1)

Residue (Residue #1)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,653 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
From the author of the bestselling Guardian Trilogy comes a new romantic suspense!

Book One of the Residue Series...

When Jocelyn Weatherford is whisked away from a preparatory academy in upstate New York to live with her extended family in New Orleans, she is unprepared to encounter the dangers awaiting her. Yet even as she is thrust into an unfamiliar world of witches and
Published April 13th 2012 by Laury Falter

To ask other readers questions about Residue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Residue

Obsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutInescapable by Amy A. BartolCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareOnyx by Jennifer L. ArmentroutHalf-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Best Supernatural Series
210th out of 934 books — 1,043 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothThe Maze Runner by James DashnerPerfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesHalf-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
All Series You Should Read
61st out of 62 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Ash Reads
May 06, 2015 Ash Reads rated it really liked it
This was such a fun book!!!!! and it was obviously pretty good in my eyes, seeing as how I told myself I'd put it down at midnight and it's now almost 530 in the morning.....

I'm so excited to get on the 2nd book (after a much needed nap...since I have to be up in 3 hours.......woot) the author has done a great job creating this world that is the same as in her other series but is also incredibly different because of the POV. The first series was the messengers and guardians. ...this is the view
Katinki
May 03, 2012 Katinki rated it really liked it
Solid 4 stars

After reading Ms. Falter's Guardian trilogy, which I thoroughly enjoyed (and have since re-read), I was looking forward to seeing what she'd come up with next.

Okay, and if I'm being honest, I wasn't expecting to be as enamored with Jocelyn and Jameson and their adventure as I was with Maggie and Eran, because well, it's hard enough to create a winning combo once, let alone twice.

But you know what? I am. I'm just a little bit in love with this new series. Really, Residue is a fanta
Roxana
May 04, 2012 Roxana rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book? That I absolutely love it? That I can't get enough of it? Yes & Yes!

Laury Falter definitely doesn't disappoint. She has done it again! I am a big fan of her Guardian Trilogy and fell in love with Maggie & Eran (especially Eran)!!!
Usually I know within the first couple of chapters if I'm going to like a book, love a book, or adore a book. With this one, it was ALL three of them. YES! That good.

I love how Jameson & Jocelyn were introduced. That was prett
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I have to say that I love stories focusing around New Orleans and Witch Craft. New Orleans has such a rich cultural background and a history of all kinds of witch craft and voodoo that it intrigues me every time I read a story about it. Residue was no different for me and this is going to be a series I will read and re-read for years to come. It just grabs you into a new world and life that it will keep you on the edge of the seat.

Jocelyn is away at boarding school when she is told that sh
Lex (Fastidious Reader)
I really didn't expect this book to be that good. Full review later. Will do one for my blog first. ;)

REVIEW
I still can’t believe that this book would be good. After three chapters in, I suddenly thought “this is a Romeo and Juliet retelling”. I was, I admit, disappointed when I come into that conclusion. Let me explain as to WHY.

First, I am NOT a fan of Romeo and Juliet love story. Second, their families are so RIDICULOUS. Third, the way they die is so ABSURD. I hate it. >:( Ugh. BUT, after
Barbara
Apr 23, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing read! Residue was everything I'd hoped for after reading the Guardian Series. Another great beginning to a love story along with the suspense and action. It was difficult to put this one down! There were parts that made me cry- happy parts and sad. I love Jocelyn's journey and the love that grows with Jameson as she finds out who she is and where she fits in. I can't wait for the next one!
Unabridged Bookshelf
Apr 25, 2013 Unabridged Bookshelf rated it really liked it
Residue has a magic that is all its own. The draw is really in the Romeo and Juliet storyline mixed with magic. The Weatherford and The Caldwell are their own version of the Montague and Capulet of the world of magic. Jocelyn Weatherford who knew nothing about magic or her family feud until she landed in New Orleans finds herself right in the middle of an age old feud between two powerful magical families when she starts to fall for the handsome Jameson Caldwell. There is always a certain draw t ...more
Jillian (NetGalley Addict)
Review from busymomsbookreviews.com

This book starts with a girl named Jocelyn being moved from New York to New Orleans and finding out that she is a witch. The first day there she is sent to go get her school supplies and while she is shopping she meets Jameson. Even though there families hate each other due to various grievances done to both sides, they still like each other. Problems arise and the fighting escalates, at the same time other people who govern the witches start to invadeNew Orlea
RoloPoloBookBlog
Apr 26, 2013 RoloPoloBookBlog rated it really liked it
Residue by Laury Falter
Residue Series #1
Source: Author
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Jocelyn Weatherford is exactly like her classmates: she is a member of a privileged family; she attends a private preparatory academy and; only sees her mother on school holidays. For Jocelyn every day is the same: get up, go to class, do her homework, break some rules with her friends. This is the life Jocelyn knows and is accustomed too; unfortunately, it is a complete and utter lie.

Everything, and I do mean everything,
Rosalynn
May 04, 2014 Rosalynn rated it really liked it
I must say, I originally only started this series because it was mentioned that Maggie and Eran from the Guardian trilogy were going to make an appearance. But then I read Residue, and now I'm hooked on the series for the series itself (of course that doesn't mean that at 1:30 in the morning when Eran and Maggie showed up in Birthright I didn't freak out and fall over on my bed making inhuman noises of happiness, but still). This book series has an interesting story line that I personally haven' ...more
I
Mar 02, 2015 I rated it it was ok
I was very intrigued to read this book after coming across this but it was not that much to my expectations.It was ok not bad or great.
Akilah Raines
Mar 17, 2013 Akilah Raines rated it it was amazing
ok I did not think I would like this book because it kind of started off slow and I wasn't into it but I kept reading and my mind changed. I couldn't put the book down. I initially was going to give this book a three then as I started getting into it I gave it a four but by the end of the book I decided on a five because I didn't sleep until I finished it and the ending left me wanting more! I definitely will be reading the rest of this series! (Full Review Coming Soon)
Rebecca
Mar 10, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
3.5 STARS

He was supposed to be my greatest adversary and yet he'd done nothing at all to prove it.

A modern day Romeo and Juliet with a paranormal twist. I was so excited to start this new series. Overall, I enjoyed it and will definitely read the second book. I liked both Jocelyn and Jameson. I enjoyed her strength and rebellious spirit. Their interaction was sweet and had a good balance of angst.

The thing I struggled with the most was the entire feud itself. I would have like more backgrou
Ally || the Inkblot ||
AND I OWE MONEY ON MY LIBRARY CARD SO I CAN'T RENEW IT
WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
*aHM*
Sorry.
True rating 4.9, not a five because of the number of times I scoffed at Jocelyn, rolled my eyes at Jocelyn, and starting humming Taylor Swift songs because of Jocelyn. Don't get me wrong! Love the book. Love it. Jocelyn's not bad. I just personally disagree with some of her decisions.
So, fated lovers,
Anne
Nov 02, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading The Guardian Trilogy by Laury Falter, I knew I wanted to read more of her books.

I was a little hesitant to get a book with the same setting as The Guardian Trilogy, and also some of the same characters, but I took a chance on this one.

And I'm glad I did.

Yes, this is the same city & high school as the characters in The Guardian Trilogy (and Magdelene & Eran make a few appearances), but the story stands on its own.
It's not a retelling of The Guardians from a different point o
Kelsey
May 04, 2015 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romeo & Juliet meets Harry Potter meets...?

The story was pretty good, but the writing was almost distractingly poor. It got a bit better further into the book, but I almost had to stop reading it after a few pages. The author seems to be appealing to readers who need situations spelled out explicitly, and the psuedo-foreshadowing ("Little did she know, xyz event was about to CHANGE EVERYTHING") at the end of a couple of chapters was unnecessary. Overall, a decent free read (through Amazon un
Anna
Jan 10, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book and once I started the series I couldn't put them down. I thought the book started out a little slow but a lot of books start like that as well. You just have to keep reading on and then it starts to get really good. I got a little annoyed by Jocelyn just because of her not believing in her powers, but once she starts to embrace her gifts, I liked her much more. That is really what I was waiting for and then it got less boring. I instantly fell in love with Jameso ...more
Nanette Bradford
Aug 27, 2012 Nanette Bradford rated it it was amazing
such a great book. laury falter is a great writter adn residue is another hit.
Ali Crean
Jocelyn Weatherford has just arrived in New Orleans to join a family she hasn’t known she had to find that they believe that they have supernatural powers. Life is never dull, after all at her boarding school in New York it was generally her that was causing the disturbances, why not have the joke be on her for a change? Except while on a trip to collect “school supplies” at some questionable stores carrying things like gris gris instead of notebooks, she runs into the most gorgeous guy she has ...more
 CCAM&GZM
Apr 24, 2013 CCAM&GZM rated it really liked it

"Then she countered by delivering the news that would change my life forever. “Jocelyn,” she said her tone steady and calculated. “You are in danger.”"

The fact that pretty quickly it's seems that we deal with a shared, but so impossible love make me very curious to see what the author had to offer. If she’ll manage to bring something special, not just on the story’s originality, but also regarding the feelings that she wants to awake to the reader. To my pleasure, Laury Falter did very well. Sh
Jenea Whittington
Apr 16, 2013 Jenea Whittington rated it liked it
3.5 hearts

Residue is the first book in a series, besides the beautiful cover, it has a plot that was engaging. Jocelyn is a young girl that has had her world turned upside down, packed up and shipped off to live with family that she really doesn’t know. That’s not all that happens to her though, she is being told that she is a witch. Something she certainly want to believe. Jocelyn was head strong girl that’s for sure, and I really did like her spunk.

Jameson is every young girl wants from a lov
Marni
Apr 27, 2013 Marni rated it it was amazing
"Jocelyn." He waited for me to turn to and face him. "I'm sorry for not disclosing who I am. That was wrong - but I don't regret it. It gave me a little more time with you before we had to face reality."

I nodded and he started down the opposite end of the hallway. Then I stopped him.

"Jameson." I hesitated, wondering if I'd regret my next words. They seemed so simple but carried such weight. "I'm glad you waited."

Oh how I keep going back to this. I read it, reread it, three, four times and every
Apr 26, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Having read and loved some of the books in Laury’s Guardian series I was really excited to read another one of her series’. This is a Romeo and Juliet style tale of forbidden love and feuding families with a magical twist.

I loved the start of the book as we were instantly thrown into the story. From Jocelyn discovering that there is more to her family than she would have ever guessed to the very end and the final moment, this book never once gets boring. There is action, mystery, magic, romance
Krista
Residue is one of those books that I am always on the look-out for. Witchcraft, Voodoo, Romance... everything I love to read about! And what I found was something I didn't quite expect. I have not read Ms. Falter's Guardian books, but I must go back and read them now because I feel like I am missing something. But, despite that what I found in Residue is a fun plot, a likable protagonist, and a nice take on magic.

After Jocelyn has a seriously weird thing happen to her in class, she is sent to li
Julia
May 03, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Residue for all the things I love to see in a good book, paranormal, young adult, amazing characters, and mystery. This book lured me in from the beginning, learning about Jocelyn and her background as a witch. I fell into her shoes and world easily.

The dangers that await Jocelyn Weatherford as she falls for a handsome Caldwell is unspeakable. The two families have been feuding for centuries and to cross that line is quite dangerous. Jocelyn was quite a character, strong and with spunk
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Did I enjoy this book: This book was alright.

The beginning was rather slow. The middle got a bit more interesting. But it took half of the book before we found out the significance of the title, Residue. The end wasn’t bad. The last 40% of this book moved a bit more than the beginning.

I liked Jocelyn. She was strong, stubborn, and she was not a pushover. I really liked the fact that she didn’t just accept everything about her new life, her new world. It took quite a while for her to come to term
Heather Wood
Apr 19, 2013 Heather Wood rated it really liked it
Residue was a cute and fun young adult read. I loved the characters and the mythology behind a society of witches living in New Orleans.

The beginning of Residue was great. The reader got to learn all about Jocelyn’s heritage as a witch at the same time she does. The world building was fabulous and I felt myself transported to this school for the supernatural in New Orleans.

Jocelyn and Jameson were fantastic characters. I loved Jocelyn’s spunky side and her ability to stand up for herself. Jameso
Daphne
Aug 13, 2012 Daphne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Laury Falter does not disappoint. Residue grabbed my attention instantly. After her successful series Guardian Trilogy she followed through once again. This book is about war between families, betrayal, forbidden love and witchcraft.

Sixteen year old Jocelyn Weatherford is being removed from the only home she has known. Though confused and angry she finds comfort in learning that her mother approved her departure from the Academy in Upstate NY to be with her family in New Orleans. Jocelyn loves h
Andrea
Apr 25, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Romeo and Juliet on stereoids. That's an easy way to sum up this book.

When they initially meet, Jocelyn and Jameson do not know the other is a member of their archenemy's family - very Rome and Juliet-esque. Jameson does find out during this encounter but Jocelyn doesn't find out until she gets to school the next day. Speaking of school, I like that the author incorporated two schools: A normal high school and a once a week magic school for those who possess magic.

After a near battle at magic sc
Kirsty Vizard
"Two households, both alike in dignity
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene . . . "

Wait!! Wrong story! But . . .if Shakespeare had written his romantic tragedy about witches, it would have been Residue! The Romeo and Juliet of Laury Falter's story are Jameson and Jocelyn, who are 'fated lovers' but from the feuding witch families of the Caldwells and the Weatherfords.
Initially I was reluctant to trust Jocelyn, but I think this was because she had no understanding of her circumstances and was aw
  • Nyx
  • Dark Veil (Belonging, #1)
  • Kindred (The Watcher Chronicles, #2)
  • Released Souls (Witch Avenue, #3)
  • Nissa: A Contemporary Fairy Tale
  • Dancing with Death (Dancing, #1)
  • Foretell (Wanderlove, #2)
  • My Avenging Angel (Angels and Demons #1)
  • Revelation (The Guardians, #3)
  • Date with the Dead (Ripsters, #1)
  • Angelic (Angelic, #1)
  • Focus (The Crescent Chronicles, #2)
  • Arise (Syrenka, #3)
  • Feudlings (Fate on Fire, #1)
4061922
Laury Falter is a bestselling author of young adult romantic suspense and urban fantasy. She has three series out: the Guardian Trilogy, the Residue Series, and the Apocalypse Chronicles.

Find out more news and information about Laury and her novels on her:
Website: www.lauryfalter.com
Twitter page: twitter.com/LauryFalter
Facebook page: facebook.com/pages/Laury-Falter/19603...
More about Laury Falter...

Residue (4 books)
  • Birthright (Residue, #2)
  • Savior (Residue, #3)
  • Prophecy (Residue, #4)

“Sometimes it’s more frightening to be the messenger of bad news than it is to simply avoid delivering the message at all.” 3 likes
“Jocelyn,” said Vinnia, “you are a Weatherford. Being one comes with certain responsibilities. One of those is not falling in love with the enemy.” “Or even consorting with one,” added Spencer. “Or even looking at one…” said Nolan, and then corrected himself, “Unless you’re casting.” 1 likes