Start by marking “White Heat” as Want to Read:
White Heat

White Heat (Duke Rogers #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  19 reviews
P.I. Duke Rogers finds himself in a racially charged situation. The case might have to wait... The immediate problem: getting out of South Central Los Angeles in one piece during the 1992 Rodney King riots and that's just the beginning of his problems.

Private investigator Duke Rogers finds an old "friend" for a client. The client's "friend," an up and coming black actress,
Published 2012 by Timeless Skies Publishing

To ask other readers questions about White Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Heat

Paul D.
Aug 04, 2014 Paul D. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Publishers Weekly says White Heat is a "...taut crime yarn set in 1992 against the turmoil of the Los Angeles riots that followed the acquittal of the police officers charged with assaulting motorist Rodney King.... the author ably evokes the chaos that erupted after the Rodney King verdict."

"White Heat" is a riveting read of mystery, much recommended.
--Midwest Book Review

"[White Heat] really caught early 90s LA, in all its sordid glory. And had me turning me pages late into the night. I think W
Kathy Jund
White Heat is the brutally biting debut novel of author Paul D. Marks that pulls no punches as he introduces his ex-Navy SEAL and currently independent Private Investigator Marion “Duke” Rogers. Rogers’ story evolves during a very turbulent era in Los Angeles history. We revisit a time in which neighborhoods are torn open and racial consciousness runs hot, leaving in its wake a shrapnel littered shell resembling the aftermath of a roadside bomb. Duke finds himself caught amongst the masses at th ...more
Gayle Bartos-pool
Explosive, Visual, Dynamite and Totally Noir
White Heat written by Paul D. Marks explodes on the page.

Days before the verdict is read in the Rodney King Case in Los Angeles back in the 1992, a weasely little man walks into private detective Duke Rogers office and asks him to locate an old friend, Teddie Matson. The guy is white and Teddie is black, and Los Angeles is just about ready to explode due to racial tensions, but Duke isn’t thinking about that, just the $250 he’ll make on the easy case.
Kat Yares
I was attracted to this book for several reasons - one being that Marks gives the reader a very flawed main character in Duke Rogers, Private Eye. The second being that he set the novel against the background of the Rodney King riots of Los Angeles in 1992. Having been there and scared out of my wits during those times - I wanted to see how the author handled it.

I was not let down on either count. You just can't help but like Duke Rogers. Although very insecure in his own self and abilities - he
Maureen
A tense crime thriller set against the backdrop of the" Rodney King" riots in LA in 1992. P.I. Duke Rodgers has a case to solve, but first he has to make it out of South Central LA, where he's caught up in a night of terror at the height of the riots. There's tension right the way through this book,the anxiety never let's up, and it was one of those stories where I thought,I'll just read a bit more, but somehow kept going because I just had to know what happened next. It captures well the social ...more
Clark Lohr
If you fill pages with lists of tortured, tragic thoughts popping in your main character’s mind, you better do it right; do it so the reader who sees all this man-on-the-edge stuff doesn’t go, “This is pathetic,” and throw the book across the room. Marks did it right, all around, with plot, place, character, and concept, winning multiple awards for White Heat— a noir novel of depth, passion, intelligence, outrage, and regret. If White Heat had been done wrong it’d be just another junk book, and ...more
Michael Mallory
Paul D. Marks' debut novel "White Heat" couldn't be better titled, since it burns like a phosphorous bomb, illuminating the mean streets of Los Angeles at a time when they were at their meanest, rawest and most incendiary: during the 1992 riots that tore the city apart after the Rodney King beating verdict. Those of us who lived through that time remember the wounds all too well, and, like the characters in this staggeringly-assured first novel, remain conflicted as to who should actually be bla ...more
Kat Yares

Michael
During the time of the Rodney King trial, a private detective, Duke Rogers, is asked to find an address of an old schoolmate for a new client. He gets the address and finds that the so called schoolmate was actually a black tv actress and the client was a person who was stalking her. The man ended up killing her.

Duke tries to find information about the man but he's hampered because he's a white man asking questions about a black woman at the time when the verdict is announced and racial hatred e
Max Everhart
In White Heat, former Navy SEAL turned PI Duke Rogers makes a quick $250 dollars by locating the address of Teddie Matson, a burgeoning TV actress. A day later Matson is murdered, and Rogers, wrenched with guilt, sets out to find the killer. Set in L.A. during the riots following the Rodney King case, Rogers is beset on all sides by looters and gang bangers, stalkers and criminals, grieving families and damsels in distress, fires and bullets. But it is Rogers's conscience that proves to be the b ...more
wally
29 mar 15...1st from marks for me. was going through the kindle...scrolling...they call it scrolling. i usually don't put things on there i don't read soon thereafter, often buying when i need something to read. for whatever reason...this one...and truth be told a few others were on the kindle. i'm not going to argue with it...looks like it could be a good story and i'm in need.

onward and upward.

30 mar 15, finished. good story. check it out.
Dianne Emley
A terrific L.A. novel featuring a classic, tough-guy private investigator, Duke Rogers. It's set in Los Angeles in 1992 right when the city exploded during the "Rodney King" riots. Marks, an L.A. native, has got the both the subtleties and the brashness of the city down, especially as concerns the simmering undercurrent of racism that crosses all neighborhoods and classes. This a noir tale, poetically written, and a must-read.
Elizabeth Barone
I had a lot of fun reading White Heat.
White Heat sucked me in right away with its noir style. You get to know Duke right away, and even though he’s a self-professed fuckup, I liked him instantly. Part of me wondered the entire time whether he killed Teddie Matson himself without remembering it, but I still liked him. Duke’s voice is very strong in the narration. Usually, I hate slang and dialect in prose because it frequently overpowers the story, but Duke’s way of talking made this story.

Pleas
Newbee (JoAnn) Brown
Starts out with a man who finds a concious after discovering he unintentionally caused a murder, just to make a quick buck

His main goal? To find the killer! Through doing that he finds much more...

His father may be right he's either got a death wish or is nuts! He just keeps putting him self in dangerous sistuations that he has to keep getting out of!

There's a whole list of different personalities that are all complicated and believable.

Very well writen, very enjoyable, shows different attitudes
Lori
If John Wayne had been a PI, his name would be Duke Rogers. In WHITE HEAT, Paul D. Marks places Duke and his cases in the middle of the Los Angeles Riots, where racial tensions have erupted the city into Dickensian devastation and destruction.

Duke has been asked to find the killer of an African American starlet. He also must investigate a woman being stalked by a wannabe suitor. What truths about himself and others will he learn during his investigations?

Marks deftly transports us into this noi
Jill
Private Investigator Duke Rogers finds himself right in the middle of the 1992 race riots after the beating of Rodney King by police officers was caught on tape in Los Angeles. He's already doubting himself after unknowingly tracking down a woman's address for a man who stalked and finally murdered her.

Living is dangerous and even more so when civility is tossed out the window.
Kem Neal
This is a very impressive novel… I highly, highly recommend it….
Donna Hardy
Gritty PI mystery. Interesting story line and characters.
Kay
PI solves murder during 1992 Rodney King riots.
Carmen
Carmen added it
Mar 10, 2015
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Sween
Sween marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Diane Calkins
Diane Calkins marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Stephanie Robello
Stephanie Robello marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
  • Final Vector
  • Gray Resurrection (Tom Gray, #2)
  • The Manuscript (The Delphi Chronicle, #1)
  • To the Princess Bound (Terms of Mercy, #1)
  • The Phantom Patrol
  • Essence of Reality: A Clear Awareness of How Life Works
  • The Protectors Christmas Box Set
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
  • Capitol Punishment (Art Jefferson, #3)
  • The Hunting Tree - Book One
  • Soup and Bread Cookbook: Building Community One Pot at a Time
  • Blabbermouth
  • The Anonymous City
  • Cooper's Revenge (Logan Alexander #1)
  • The Last Temptation of Clarence Odbody
  • Afterglow (Brotherhood of the Blade Trilogy, #2)
  • The Color of Greed (Raja Williams, #1)
  • Rabid
5819886
Author Paul D. Marks is an L. A. native, literally born in the heart of Hollywood. You can’t get much more “L.A.” than that.
More about Paul D. Marks...
L.A. Late @ Night: 5 Noir & Mystery Tales from the Dark Streets of Los Angeles Born under a bad Sign 5150 - A Noir Short Story Free Fall - a Noir Short Story Last Exit to Murder