Start by marking “De Levantijn” as Want to Read:
De Levantijn

De Levantijn

Een scheepseigenaar in het Midden Oosten wordt door een fanatieke groep Palestijnse terroristen gedwongen mee te werken aan de plannen voor een aanval op Israël, waarbij één van zijn schepen gebruikt zal worden.
Mass Market Paperback, 283 pages
Published 1982 by Bruna (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about De Levantijn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Levantijn

Bruce Beckham
Feb 01, 2017 Bruce Beckham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Levanter hot on the heels of my disappointment with Judgment on Deltchev – and thankfully it has restored my confidence in Eric Ambler.

Where the latter story falters in an imaginary Balkan state, a hazy world populated by faceless characters, The Levanter is set in the real Middle East – primarily Syria – and is crisp, bright and authentic.

A businessman with a network of enterprises in the Eastern Mediterranean finds his factory facilities and shipping line hijacked for the purposes o
David
Nov 16, 2016 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Available as a nine-hour, two-part unabridged audio book.

The weekend after the sad US presidential election, I found myself confined in a van on a long road trip to mountainous northern Vietnam while suffering from the bronchial complaint which often accompanies residence in polluted environments. In other words, I was miserable. Listening to this audio book on the long van ride home drew me out of my misery and made the trip almost enjoyable.

It seems likely that soon Ambler will have the opport
Wendy
Brilliant! Though it begins slowly, and you can't tell where it's leading stay with it because it becomes an exciting thriller as relevant today as it was when it was written, given the threat of Syrian-sponsored terrorism. The story is so well-told and detailed with such genuine facts, you believe it's true and that the two main narrators are real people writing actual memoirs.
Procyon Lotor
Antivirale Eccellente avventura meno cerebrale di LeCarr�, meno pirotecnica di Fleming ma col grandissimo mestiere misurato e temperato di Ambler. Parte a fatica, scegliendo la forma inusuale del doppio memoriale di un giornalista esperto in questioni mediorientali - il guazzabuglio etno-politico-socio-militare che viene evocato con realismo encomiabile fa capire definitivamente perch� c'� bisogno d'esperti, e di un armatore anglo-sirio-armen-cipriota, mescolanza non inusuale nelle famiglie d'af ...more
David E.
This was, what, my twelfth Amber mystery? After all these years, he's one of the first, and still one of the best. This is I believe his last novel, and it takes place not in the Balkans as so many others, but Syria. Reading it 40 +years after it was written, it's chilling to realize how little has changed, while so much has changed. A Palestinian terrorist group wants to wreak havoc in Israel, and a businessman -- Ambler's usual hero -- gets caught in the middle. He has no real understanding of ...more
icaro
Oct 12, 2015 icaro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
amo questo scrittore per un lungo elenco di motivi che proverò a riassumere.
1) suspence, suspence, ma niente sangue e molta ironia
2) stessa storia, ma sempre nuova (come i più grandi: come Simenon come Hitch)
3) mai più di trecento pagine (ah! l'estate con un libro di Ambler).
4) scrittura semplice per lettura veloce (ma curata e non elementare).
5) dialoghi scacchistici (mosse e contromosse da manuale).
6) l'eroe che non è mai un super-eroe, ma ha sempre qualche piccola defaillance etica (come tutt
Charles
"The Levanter" is one of the original (copyright 1971) Terrorist novels that are very popular today.

It is 1971 and the Middle east is changing (again), in response to the Israeli victory in the Six-day war and the pressures of the Palestinians refugees on neighboring countries. The main protagonist is a western businessman, the owner of a firm long established in the Middle east. A Palestinian group threatens the man, his family, and firm to use them to strike against Israel. The man threads a t
Al
May 12, 2015 Al rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Ambler's early, and famous, espionage novels. I picked this book up at a sale, based on Ambler's name alone. It turns out to have been written late in his career, and is certainly not one of his best. The action takes place in the middle East in the 70s. A mixed-blood English entrepreneur, successful in the middle East, is coerced by a radical Islamist into supporting his plan for a major terror attack on Israel. It's an interesting premise, and the setup is similar to other Am ...more
Ed
Jul 22, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1972 Gold Dagger Award. Michael Howell finds that there are Palestinian terrorists working in his Syrian factory and ordering inventory to use in the manufacture of detonators and rocket shells. When he attempts to fire them, armed guards dissuade him. The leader demonstrates that he has collaborators in the country's security service. Slow starting novel but the pace picks up and leads to a satisfactory conclusion.

Non-series - Michael Howell is "the Levanter," an English businessman trying to k
Paul Jellinek
Apr 06, 2016 Paul Jellinek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written some forty years go, this turns out to be a remarkably timely thriller about Middle East terrorism that takes place in Syria and is a stark reminder that the more things change, the more they stay essentially the same. Ambler is an exceptional writer--on a par with LeCarre at his best--who particularly likes to plunge seemingly ordinary people into nightmarish situations way beyond their depth and then chronicles their desperate efforts to extricate themselves. Not all of his books are e ...more
Jake
Dec 13, 2015 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
Noted WW2 espionage writer Anton Furst listed this as his favorite Eric Ambler book. Furst's work shares a lot of Ambler's DNA in terms of setting and stakes but Furst is more dry and concerned with detail, while Ambler tends to lead towards excitement (at least in his popular works that I've read: Epitaph for a Spy and A Coffin for Dimitrios). Yet in reading it, I can see why Furst liked it so much as its more similar to Furst's use of bureaucracy and wealthy men. It's not as thrilling as other ...more
itpdx
Mar 08, 2014 itpdx rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful suspense thriller from the past. Because it is set in the Middle East, it doesn't seem as dated as its 1972 publication date would indicate. A middle-eastern businessman, Michael Howell discovers a militant Palestinian organization making detonators in his battery factory in Syria. He finds that the corrupt head of Syrian security will do nothing. How Howell threads the dangerous waters of this predicament is interesting and suspenseful.
IMDb gives no indication that a movie has been
Anne
Feb 17, 2010 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is classic spy fiction, set in Syria of 1970. I think perhaps technical people would enjoy more the details of the factories which Michael Howell was forced to run, in service to the state. The interesting dance of maintaining existing businesses and appeasing the revolting bureaucrats made for a fine airplane book.
Jack Goodstein
Jan 17, 2013 Jack Goodstein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I read a different edition, but the cover comes up with a different title. (I have the one in the Vintage Black Lizard series. Palestinian terrorists involve a Cypriot business man in an elabotate plat.
Lou
Jun 13, 2009 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spy novel lovers
I was not disappointed. This is a good spy novel about the Middle East. I enjoyed it more than the first Ambler novel that I read- A Coffin for Dimitrios. Fun summer read but also a good insight into the "Palestinian Issue" and the personalities involved on the gut level.
Paul Wilner
Jun 07, 2013 Paul Wilner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prescient. Preferable to the vaporous mutterings of the more recent work of Mr. LeCarre, at least in my opinion.

Still relevant - more so than ever - after all these year, with some nicely comic touches to leaven the saga.
Bo Stenberg
Oct 02, 2014 Bo Stenberg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The reason for the single star for this brilliant story? The pictured edition by something called "House of Status" is riddled with typos to the extent you are brought up short and have to stop reading an otherwise unstoppable read. Do yourself a big favor and acquire another publisher's edition.
Emily
Apr 10, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I got bogged down in the technical political details, but the section from Teresa the secretary's POV is worth the price of admission--funny and revealing about her boss, and she's a pleasure to read.
Richard Bradley
Eric Ambler never wrote a single word that wasn't the highest order of a (spy story) (suspense) (thriller).
Tom
Oct 06, 2014 Tom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The least interesting and worst performed Eric Ambler book I've listened to yet. The protagonist is a boor, the terrorist is insipid, and the story line is boring.
Pat
Apr 07, 2009 Pat marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Found this in a used book store in Yachats. I've heard good things about Ambler. Early spy novel stuff.
Trina
May 14, 2015 Trina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had to give up on this vey plodding story despite the prescient parallel to our times and all the unrest in the Levant. I've read better Ambler books.
Peg Gjertsen
The book included a lot of detail about doing business in the middle east and that made it interesting but it was not exciting enough.
Don Edgar
Don Edgar rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Harold Johnson
Harold Johnson rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Sutrebuh
Sutrebuh rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Craig
Craig rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2016
Valerio
Valerio rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
Bindhu
Bindhu rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Uji
Uji rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Miernik Dossier (Paul Christopher #1)
  • Ten Days' Wonder
  • Zwischen neun und neun
  • Festung Breslau
  • The Blackheath Poisonings: A Victorian Murder Mystery
  • The Dead Man's Knock (Dr. Gideon Fell, #19)
  • Kismet
  • The Quiller Memorandum
  • Shock Treatment
  • Ultimate Spy Book
  • Double Image
  • The Baby in the Icebox and Other Short Fiction
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • You Bet Your Life (Toby Peters, #3)
  • Woman in the Dark
  • Kingdom of Shadows (Night Soldiers, #6)
  • The Moon in the Gutter
  • Il corpo e il sangue di Eymerich
Eric Ambler began his writing career in the early 1930s, and quickly established a reputation as a thriller writer of extraordinary depth and originality. He is often credited as the inventor of the modern political thriller and John Le Carre once described him as 'the source on which we all draw.'

Ambler began his working life at an engineering firm, then as a copywriter at an advertising agency,
More about Eric Ambler...