Start by marking “John Calvin: A Biography” as Want to Read:
John Calvin: A Biography

John Calvin: A Biography

John Calvin was one of the most important leaders of the sixteenth-century Protestant Reformation. In this revision of his major biography, T. H. L. Parker explores Calvin's achievement against the backdrop of the turbulent times in which he lived. With clear and concise explanations of Calvin's theology, analyses of his major works, and insights into his preaching, this ...more
Published July 19th 2007 by Westminster John Knox Press (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about John Calvin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Calvin

Rachel
Apr 01, 2009 Rachel rated it it was ok
A poorish biography of a person who was interesting enough to keep me reading until the end. For someone who exercised such a remarkable influence in his time and since, the author gives very little sense of Calvin's character, his voluminous writings (style or content), or his overall philosophy/theology; he provides lots of details about when he was where and who else was there at the time, without giving the reader much guidance on the broader picture. I learned just enough to make me curious ...more
John Kight
Jan 23, 2016 John Kight rated it it was amazing
T. H. L. Parker is a widely respected authority on the life, ministry, and thought of John Calvin. Parker is the author of numerous books related to Calvin, including, Calvin: An Introduction to His Thought, Calvin’s Preaching, Calvin’s Old Testament Commentaries, Calvin’s New Testament Commentaries, Doctrine of the Knowledge of God: Studies in the Theology of John Calvin, and Portrait of Calvin. Parker’s career has in many ways been Calvin-saturated, and the present volume displays this reality ...more
Daniel Glover
Jun 08, 2014 Daniel Glover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This biography of Calvin is one of those books that I see on my bookshelf and instantly I remember what a joy it was to have been reading it. Honestly, I recall with such fondness reading about the most interesting, often controversial life of the western world's most influential theologian. The book is deep with theological insights, having been written by a previous reader in theology at Durham University and a Calvin scholar, but is not too dense for a quite theologically illiterate layman. I ...more
Bill
Sep 30, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Different tone to many other popular biographies -- quite academic. None the less, I really enjoyed the read. I think the objective style is helpful, given that Calvin was and is a controversial figure. A fairly positive picture of Calvin emerges. Most inpsiring personally was Calvin's constant preoccupation with absolute faithfulness to God's Word, disregarding every other authority or influence. I also enjoyed the detailed treatment of Calvin's various writings and his preaching.
Mike
Jan 13, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing
Very good biography. Explained the relationship between Calvin's thought on systematic theology and Biblical theology. What he thought about and how he used Scripture in preaching, government, and life. Gave a good introduction into the kind of man Calvin was and what the times were like around him so that we see him in his context rather than judging him through the provincial lens of our times.
Matt Moran
May 27, 2014 Matt Moran rated it liked it
Just okay.

I had expected a deeper understanding of Calvin's character and personality than this book provided.

Parker seemed to try to be even-handed and he stays away from making statements about Servetus or the theological debates that people associate with Calvin. What emerges is a sickly, intense man, clinging very tightly to the Word of God.

A good deal of untranslated French.
Peter N.
Aug 30, 2011 Peter N. rated it really liked it
A good solid intermediate biography on Calvin. I especially enjoyed the section on Servetus and Calvin's letters. There was at times too much untranslated French and Latin, but other than that a really good book.
Andrew
Even though it was thorough and well-written, I can only give 3/5 stars to this work. Perhaps because it was too thorough. Even details I found to be quite insignificant were examined in their entirety. This book is aimed at the academic and not the casual reader.
Lady Jane
Exhaustively researched and filled with much, detailed information, John Calvin suffers from a writing style that is neither clear nor engaging.
Royce Ratterman
Mar 30, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it it was amazing
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Ivan
Dec 13, 2014 Ivan rated it really liked it
Aside from an annoying use of the present tense, this is an accessible and well-written introduction to Calvin.
Tom Bazan
Aug 24, 2010 Tom Bazan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: people
Parker does a fantastic job of recounting the life of Calvin and intertwining a bit of the theology that resulted. A bit deeper than I expected, but I've got no complaints about that.
Samuel Parkinson
Samuel Parkinson rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Travis
Travis rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2012
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Theodore Zachariades
Theodore Zachariades rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Nate
Nate rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Robert D. Cornwall
Robert D. Cornwall rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2012
Pedro
Pedro rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Kanishka
Kanishka rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2008
Arnulfo Drio
Arnulfo Drio rated it did not like it
May 26, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Carol Turner
Carol Turner rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Rick Erb
Rick Erb rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2012
Tom Bazan
Tom Bazan rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2010
Wayne Larson
Wayne Larson rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2009
Kris Lundgaard
Kris Lundgaard rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2009
Adam Embry
Adam Embry rated it liked it
May 23, 2013
  • Trinitarian Controversy
  • New Testament Introduction
  • Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching
  • Calvin on the Christian Life: Glorifying and Enjoying God Forever
  • Jesus Made in America: A Cultural History from the Puritans to the Passion of the Christ
  • Meet the Puritans: With a Guide to Modern Reprints
  • Early Christian Doctrines
  • The Courage to Be Protestant: Truth-lovers, Marketers, and Emergents in the Postmodern World