Start by marking “Snow” as Want to Read:
Snow

Snow

What do you do when your whole world turns upside down?

Dana is a woman who doesn't deal well with confrontation. She likes her job, her friends, and the cozy comfort of her neighbourhood—Toronto's own Queen Street West. But when the world forces her to stand up, will she be able to handle it?
Published 2014

To ask other readers questions about Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow

Margaret Robbins
Mar 09, 2016 Margaret Robbins rated it really liked it
I bought this Canadian graphic novel at Mission: Comics and Art on my trip to San Francisco and was excited about it from the beginning. I started and finished it on my flight from San Francisco to Atlanta, which tells you how much I was engaged with it. I loved the simplicity of the black and white drawings and thought they were akin to some of Scott McCloud's theories and ideas in Understanding Comics. The simplicity of the drawings is part of what made me connect to the characters, and the ...more
Mark
Feb 04, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Beat ran a story recently about the top Comixology Submit downloads. This was on it, and sure enough I already owned it as part of a big bundle offer. So I downloaded it to my Kindle Fire HD and read it over my lunch hour today. The four chapters run 155 pages, so it was easy to read in just under an hour.

It's a B&W slice of life comic about a young woman named Dana who works in a bookstore in downtown Toronto. Other characters include her best friend, coworkers, and some strangers she h
Alexander
Aug 13, 2016 Alexander rated it did not like it
This is such a strange book. The Goodreads description starts "What do you do when your whole world turns upside down?" which equates (in the book) to "crappy retail job disappears because business goes under".

This is a basically a book about a woman who can't seem to cope with the mole hill life has prevented her with. Oh no, my minimum wage job is ending, what could I possibly do?

Which, of course, is the entire problem with the book. There is nothing at stake. If she had crippling anxiety or
Maddy Kundel
Apr 07, 2016 Maddy Kundel rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This book was so mediocre. I suppose I enjoyed it in that i read the whole thing in one sitting, but i wasn't particularly eager to either.

Main character, Dana, lives in the big city and deals with a violent trauma, the traumatic event is the main climax. However, it isn't made to be a very monumental moment for Dana. I was surprised that it was the climax, because it was so....low-key.

I'd recommend it as an easy, one-sitting read. It didn't even take me 45 minutes to finish.

I'm just *shocked*
Nelson Zagalo
Oct 19, 2014 Nelson Zagalo rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
“Snow” is a contemporary light drama tale. You get to know believable characters and places which will take you along making you think about problems which worry all of us in these contemporary days.

“Snow” has no brilliant art neither an intense dramatic arc, however it shows the author has the strengths to arrive there. We can feel the honesty in the work and the artist humbleness. I recommend it.
J.
Aug 26, 2016 J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The art here is good, and the characters are likeable. But there's a lot of stuff that happens without any real explanation or sense of cohesiveness. I guess it's a tale about how this character deals with the odd and creepy events in her surroundings, but since nothing ever really comes to fruition, the whole thing seems to be for naught.
Aug 22, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
As part of my exploring Toronto 30 day challenge I took on reading some books set in Toronto. I really enjoyed reading a book set in the familiar streets. I love that it is set in winter it seems that story so seldom seem to be set in this season which lasts for almost half of the year.
Ben
Jul 12, 2015 Ben rated it it was ok
A slice of life tale about a mediocre woman in a mediocre job. I either didn't get it or it actually isn't very good. I found it hard to care about anyone in it and it seemed to end just as it got going. The minimalist artwork was quite nice but otherwise it's just a bit drab and pointless.
Sasha Boersma
May 19, 2013 Sasha Boersma rated it really liked it
Lovely little tale about a changing neighbourhood and a resident who considers her own transition.

Personally, always a fan of the use of simple black and white cartoonish-illustrations, especially when they can help tell a deep story. :)
Lily
Apr 14, 2014 Lily rated it really liked it
Looking forward for the film to come out in fall 2014. A reminder that all of our lives are fascinating stories, and that it's ok to be "crazy" if you feel like you have to do what's right.
Dosgallos
Dosgallos rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
lazycalm
lazycalm rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2016
Shaun Clamp
Shaun Clamp rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Glenna C
Glenna C rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Michael Harding
Michael Harding rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Fabian Hebestreit
Fabian Hebestreit rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Neil Sinclair
Neil Sinclair rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
The Night Hawk (Erin)
Apr 15, 2014 The Night Hawk (Erin) rated it it was amazing
Very interesting slice of Toronto life. Also, it never rains but it pours.
Dan (aka Utterbiblio)
Dan (aka Utterbiblio) rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2015
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Carole
Carole rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Shandii
Shandii rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Derek
Derek rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Denise Mcminn
Denise Mcminn rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Patrick Najjar
Patrick Najjar rated it it was ok
May 17, 2014
Gordon
Gordon rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Benjamin Rivers is an independent game developer, illustrator, and comic artist. He was raised in Barry's Bay, Canada and is now based out of Toronto, Canada. He is a member of the Hand Eye Society and a graduate of the Artsy Games Incubator program. Benjamin has been an active and early member of the Toronto independent gaming scene and has been creating games for download and display since 2008. ...more
More about Benjamin Rivers...