Start by marking “Our Family Outing: A memoir of coming out and coming through” as Want to Read:
Our Family Outing: A memoir of coming out and coming through

Our Family Outing: A memoir of coming out and coming through

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A truely unique love story, "Our family Outing" is riveting in its honesty and openess as a family faces its reality their husband/father is gay. Told in two eloquent narrative voices - Joe, a husband, pastor and father who faces the truth about his sexuality and Leigh Anne, a wife, church musician and mother who finds her way to acceptance and forgiveness. This is a story ...more
Published 2011 by TotalPublishingAndMedia

To ask other readers questions about Our Family Outing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Family Outing

Karen Wohlwend

I was interested in this book for two reasons. First, because one of the authors had been a pastor at my church briefly...and an exceptional one at that! Second, because of people I have met over the last years, I find myself concerned over rights for all. Read the book for even more insight.
Sadie
It took me a little bit to get used to the writing style. Short entries bouncing back and forth between authors, but in the end I loved this book. So totally honest, which as a pastor I really appreciate, the recognition of mistakes and hurt, and the redemption and the love of God throughout.
Sarah H
This book is one that I believe everyone should read. It's an honest and powerful truth about the ending of a marriage and the power of love, acceptance, and forgiveness. It's also a quick read. Read it! Now!
Rebecca
It's a good and honest book about a very tough transition. The primary author and his ex-wife collaborated on this book which explores both of their perspectives on moving through his coming-out after many years of marriage, re-inventing their relationship throughout the process to find significant healing and establish an amicable post-divorce friend-family-dynamic with their children and second spouses.

I bought it after hearing him speak at an MCC conference on reconciliation- a brief workshop
Leslie Nord
Memoir told from both sides, one is a male pastor who has struggled with homosexual feelings his whole life, and the wife who learns about this after they have been married for many years with two small children. She knew there was something missing in their marriage, but never thought of this. What surprised me the most was how deep was his denial to himself of who he truly is. Takes you through their journey, and the ending is happy.
Liz
A beautiful story that speaks of pain, loss, struggle, grace and forgiveness. Wonderful lessons that apply to everyone. I loved the way Joe and Leigh Ann's stories weaves in and out of one another. They give me great hope for our Faith.
Neill Caldwell
Excellent book, written in a bit of an unusual way as each spouse trade turns in telling the story of how their marriage ended. It's an easy read, and was so interesting that I read it straight through during a flight!
Linda Mulanax
A rare and honest book that tells the truth. it is written by two wonderful people with a passion and commitment to help others who might find themselves in a similar position with a loved one who is homosexual.
April
Apr 27, 2012 April rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This is not my normal reading genre, but with a local connection it caught my attention.
Betsy
Really interesting.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Rachel
Rachel added it
Apr 29, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2013
Kanta Bosniak
Kanta Bosniak marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Our Family Outing:: A Memoir of Coming Out and Coming Through Currency Competition and Monetary Union