Start by marking “Our Family Outing: A memoir of coming out and coming through” as Want to Read:
Our Family Outing: A memoir of coming out and coming through

Our Family Outing: A memoir of coming out and coming through

A truely unique love story, "Our family Outing" is riveting in its honesty and openess as a family faces its reality their husband/father is gay. Told in two eloquent narrative voices - Joe, a husband, pastor and father who faces the truth about his sexuality and Leigh Anne, a wife, church musician and mother who finds her way to acceptance and forgiveness. This is a story ...more
Published 2011 by TotalPublishingAndMedia

To ask other readers questions about Our Family Outing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Family Outing

Karen Wohlwend
Aug 20, 2012 Karen Wohlwend rated it it was amazing

I was interested in this book for two reasons. First, because one of the authors had been a pastor at my church briefly...and an exceptional one at that! Second, because of people I have met over the last years, I find myself concerned over rights for all. Read the book for even more insight.
Sadie
May 04, 2013 Sadie rated it really liked it
It took me a little bit to get used to the writing style. Short entries bouncing back and forth between authors, but in the end I loved this book. So totally honest, which as a pastor I really appreciate, the recognition of mistakes and hurt, and the redemption and the love of God throughout.
Sarah H
Dec 10, 2012 Sarah H rated it it was amazing
This book is one that I believe everyone should read. It's an honest and powerful truth about the ending of a marriage and the power of love, acceptance, and forgiveness. It's also a quick read. Read it! Now!
Betsy Ashton
Mar 09, 2016 Betsy Ashton rated it really liked it
I met Joe Cobb at Roanoke Regional Writers Conference in January 2106 when I took his class on working with convergence.

Joe Cobb and Leigh Anne Taylor co-author a memoir of their life as a married couple, their separation when Cobb comes out as gay and their lives after the confession.

They met in college, married and began a life serving Christ through ministry and music. Cobb graduated from seminary and was eventually ordained a minister, where his homosexuality was a deeply guarded secret even
Rebecca
Jul 23, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
It's a good and honest book about a very tough transition. The primary author and his ex-wife collaborated on this book which explores both of their perspectives on moving through his coming-out after many years of marriage, re-inventing their relationship throughout the process to find significant healing and establish an amicable post-divorce friend-family-dynamic with their children and second spouses.

I bought it after hearing him speak at an MCC conference on reconciliation- a brief workshop
Leslie Nord
Apr 21, 2013 Leslie Nord rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Memoir told from both sides, one is a male pastor who has struggled with homosexual feelings his whole life, and the wife who learns about this after they have been married for many years with two small children. She knew there was something missing in their marriage, but never thought of this. What surprised me the most was how deep was his denial to himself of who he truly is. Takes you through their journey, and the ending is happy.
Liz
Dec 30, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story that speaks of pain, loss, struggle, grace and forgiveness. Wonderful lessons that apply to everyone. I loved the way Joe and Leigh Ann's stories weaves in and out of one another. They give me great hope for our Faith.
Linda Mulanax
Feb 12, 2013 Linda Mulanax rated it it was amazing
A rare and honest book that tells the truth. it is written by two wonderful people with a passion and commitment to help others who might find themselves in a similar position with a loved one who is homosexual.
Neill Caldwell
Aug 13, 2012 Neill Caldwell rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, written in a bit of an unusual way as each spouse trade turns in telling the story of how their marriage ended. It's an easy read, and was so interesting that I read it straight through during a flight!
April
Apr 26, 2012 April rated it liked it
Shelves: z2012
This is not my normal reading genre, but with a local connection it caught my attention.
Betsy
Jan 31, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
Really interesting.
Jane Waldie
Jane Waldie rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Alycia
Alycia rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Erin Lavender-stott
Erin Lavender-stott rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Trudy
Trudy rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Matthew Crookshank
Matthew Crookshank rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013
Lisa McGehee
Lisa McGehee rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2012
Carrie Lane
Carrie Lane rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Kevin Paulk
Kevin Paulk rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Christine Spears
Christine Spears rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Ejwest
Ejwest rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Jeff Goetzinger
Jeff Goetzinger rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Shelby Mercer
Shelby Mercer rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Kim harris
Kim harris rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Linda Royster
Linda Royster rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014