Start by marking “World War One (History in an Hour)” as Want to Read:
World War One (History in an Hour)

World War One (History in an Hour)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  449 ratings  ·  77 reviews
History for busy people. Read a concise history of World War One in just one hour.

World War One brought with it the world’s first experience of Total War, involving all of the world’s great powers, polarized between the Triple Entente, lead by Britain, France and Russia, and the Central Powers, dominated by Germany, Italy and Austria-Hungary. Around 9 million men lost thei
ebook
Published 2012 by Harper Press

To ask other readers questions about World War One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War One

Paul Titley
Tempted by the combination of this being a summary of a period of history of which I know very little and the fact it was free on Amazon, I was keen to give it a whirl.

It does what it says on the tin - and presents a summary of the main campaigns of the First World War. As other reviewers have noted, the timeline jumps around somewhat - though this issue is difficult to overcome, as the war was fought in many parts of the world over long periods of time.

The writing style is very factual - as i
Tonya
I was really impressed I have always loved history but most books I read I never finish as they bore me to tears right from the start. This "History in one hour" - World War One by Rupert Colley was actually very good. And like it says you can read it in one hour.

I really like how it is laid out and gets right to the point. From the start you learn what started the war to begin with. Was I shocked that this war was started all because of a 19 year old boy who killed two people, one of whom was
Susan
A fast, but interesting read, charting the causes, progress and aftermath of WWI.
I was amazed at how much the author packed into such a small book, the information flowed, and gave lots of ideas for further research.
The short biographies of some of the war's main protagonists, given in the second part of the book, were an excellent addition to this engaging sprint through four years of history.
Elle
If you don't know much about World War One I am sure this book will be very interesting. I know a lot more about the second World War so I found this book to have a lot of new information but not overly detailed enough to be become boring. Quick read that I took my time dipping into every so often.
Aaron Lambert
I am a little embarrassed to admit that I read this book because of "Downton Abbey." My wife and I have been watching the British drama series and, in season two, Britain goes to war with Germany. It occurred to me that I didn't remember nearly as much World War One history as I would have liked, so I looked for a book that would give me a nice, brief summary of the war. I wanted the highlights without getting overwhelmed and I found it. This was a very nice review of the main events of WWI that ...more
Mark Maguire
To paraphrase from one of those appalling Ronseal adverts from the early Noughties; this book "did exaclty what it said" on the cover. Critically, the book assumes no prior knowledge which makes it a useful tool for both the casual reader, and those with more than just "a passing interest" in this vast tragedy.

The book was presented in a clear and precise fashion. The narrative guides you through the critical moments of the Great War in a non-partisan manner, and provides innumerable leads for
Taylor P. Davidson
I'm ashamed to admit that I've never been overly interested in history and, to be frank, could have paid more attention to it in school. As the result of my negligence, I'm woefully ignorant of much of the finer details of our past and have recently decided to rectify this - trying to read up on the World Wars and watch a few, well-made documentaries.

Due to this, World War One: History In An Hour caught my attention recently. It sounds perfect for my needs, suggesting a brief overview of the war
Rebecca Reid
World War I: History in an Hour by Rupert Colley (HarperPress, 2012) is just what it says it is: a brief look at the war for those interested in a taste of what it is about. HarperPress provides ebooks in this series for a very low cost (it appears to be a $1.99 or $2.99 price; see here). For people interested in history but that don’t have time for a full-length nonfiction book about it, this series may satisfy your curiosity as it did for me!

True, I felt like names, dates, and places were thro
Siew Ee
“World War One : History in One Hour” is presented like a textbook but without the dryness or detailed facts that invariably kill interest for all except the most avid historians.

For someone who knows very little about the first world war, this book was much welcomed. I really finished it in less than an hour, and while I was a little overwhelmed by the numerous events that took place, I did not find the facts confusing or boring. I was also very glad to link up the time frame with major events
Jeff Dawson
Not bad.

I profess to be an amateur historian as I have no degrees to back-up the vast readings I've done on WWII and a small part to WWI. So, I'm always looking for something new and interesting. Sadly this one missed the mark.

It does cover WWI in less than an hour and that is the problem. The reader is introduced to the facts and only the facts, yet the author fails to make any mention of the American Expedition in Russia. Yes, American troops were attempting to bring down Lenin and the new Com
Christine Blachford
The trouble with reviewing these excellent “In an Hour” books is that I just end up displaying my complete ignorance of the topic in the first place. And they are usually quite important topics. This time, I read the book in my lunch hour, meaning it really did take just sixty minutes to devour.

I followed the detail well, liked the in depth look at the main characters, and skipped over the timeline because I’d just read the facts in order. Could be useful for future reference though.

I thought th
Tori
I figured that it was time for me to have a better understanding of WWI- this book was perfect. It wasn't overly detailed and wasn't difficult to read. It did take me a lot longer than an hour because there were certain people and events that I read more about in other sources.

Also, if you are reading an ebook, don't be discouraged when the was is over and you are still only at 60%. The appendix is really long!
Jo at Jaffareadstoo
Continuing my reading theme of Remembrance for November, I was attracted to this concise history of World War One which aims to give enough historical information in the space of an hour's reading time.

And does it fulfil its aim - well yes, I think it does, although as always it depends on personal reading speeds, but overall, the concise nature of the book makes it interesting and informative without getting too intent on too much detail. It's also the type of book that you can refer back to if
Elizabeth
This was a free kindle book and it was a very quick read.

I think this is an excellent resource on WWI!

The book first gives a chronological blow by blow of all the major battles, political maneuvers and revolutions beginning with the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914 and ending with the Spanish flu and the Paris treaty of 1919.

After that portion of the book, there is a section of short biographies of all the major players in the War from Royalty to politicians to Mata Hari.

The boo
I didn't expect too much from this book because I think you cannot comprehend the events and implications of the 1st world war in an hour. The book was ok though and provides the reader with a British influenced view of events. It may be useful for pupils, but I cannot recommended it to history buffs.
Katherine
Short and to the point

Short and to the point

As advertise short. While I lik straight to the polnt information, this was way to little. It only got the three stars because I liked the key players description at the end.

Tamsin Bramwell
Very clear and concise explained the order of things in a way I understood and I never liked WW history during school much preferring American political history. Feel like I've gained something now, on to WW2
Molly
A good overview of the war. My complaint is my complaint about most WW1 histories, it treats the entire thing as a chess match. Some people must enjoy this sort of bird's eye of history. But I do not care about the specific moves and counter-moves. These battles were fought by people and the chess view invariably focuses on the politicians and generals. The individual lives of the soldiers and people living in the war zones are largely forgotten.
But if you know nothing about WW1 this is a fine
Bruce Jenvey
Great Book, some confusion. First, if you can read this book in an hour, you are a far faster reader than me! It's rated by Kindle at 86 pages, not true, thankfully, much longer than that. But NOT some terrible, ongoing, never ending, in-depth descriptive. This was a concise, but all inclusive, history of the period. It gave the reasons for the war, why it started, and most important, WHY a war that should have truly been settled in months, dragged on for years of agony. I consider myself a real ...more
Andy
All in all, not a bad little history about the First World War. It pretty much does what it says it does on the cover. Facts aren't glossed over but neither does Colley get bogged down in the details. The biographies of the major players at the end are a nice addition.

If I had one minor complaint, it's that the book is a little too British-centric. Colley is clearly writing with a British readership in mind. There's a nice chapter about British life during the war; I wish there had been similar
Richard
British history is one of my favourite genres, but I also like reading loads of novels. So I don't like to 'waste' my time reading long, boring, textbook-type books. So this seemed ideal and indeed it was. What a perfect way to either learn a bit of history or brush up on what you may already know, but had forgotten without realising it.

I will read this again soon to add bits I missed or already forgot. As it's only a hour's read + extra reading at the end on some of the main 'players' at the ti
Nick
I've always been confused about "the Great War." What were they fighting about? Who was fighting whom? This war definately takes a back seat to WW II in film and History channel air time. So when I saw a free book that promised that I could learn about it in one hour, I said, "Heck yeah." Well, it took me longer than an hour, but I'll blame myself there. However, I finally learned what WW I was all about...fascinating stuff. I would love to rate this higher but sometimes the brevity caused confu ...more
Duckpondwithoutducks
The idea of this series (History In An Hour) is to provide an overview of some historical subject in a format that you can read in an hour! But, of course, the length of time that it takes you to read this book will depend greatly on your reading speed. It took me half an hour to read it. Despite its' brevity, the book was able to touch on the many aspects of WWI - the war on land, on sea and in the air; the battles in Europe, the Middle East and the Far East; a chronology of major events in the ...more
Leanne Spencer
This is a good introduction. It's obviously not going to be comprehensive (hence the title) so if you're looking for something in depth then I'd look elsewhere. If you just want a brief overview then this is the book for you!
Catrin
I read this is year 9 to help with an essay I had too write... (The book taught me more than the class ever did)
Brian
i like history in an hour! i do think ww1 needs more than an hour though.
Phil
This was a nice, concise overview of the first World War, it manages to cover the major points while minimizing the page count. While it might be possible to read in a single hour, the content is dense enough that readers will probably want to take it at a slower pace. While I wouldn't rely on this book to deliver a very in-depth understanding of the topic, it served me well as a refresher course and would probably be very useful as a supplement to high school or college students taking courses ...more
Richard
As always with the 'History in an Hour' series of books, a nice easy read with the main key points presented in an interesting way. Highly recommended.
GONZA
Interesting summary of World War 1, for whom is interested, events are well explained and clear enough even if there are not used many pages.

Interessante riassunto della prima guerra mondiale, per gli interessati ovviamente, comunque i fatti sono ben spiegati e seguono un ordine cronologico, ma sono stati fatti parecchi collegamenti anche se non sono state usate troppe pagine; un bignami di gran categoria.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND HARPER COLLINS U.K. FOR THE PREVIEW
Jack Dunigan
I am sorry that the publisher has discontinued this series. For those of us with so many interests and too little time, a series like this is a worthwhile approach. I've been a student of WWII, but WWI was always an area I wanted to learn more about. I happened across this Kindle version and read it in about an hour. Certainly it passes over the tops of the topic, but it does provide for the reader a general chronology of it. I recommend it
  • Yellow Green Beret: Stories of an Asian-American Stumbling Around U.S. Army Special Forces: 1
  • Henry VIII’s Wives
  • The First World War: A Very Short Introduction
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • Bringing the Thunder: The Missions of a World War II B-29 Pilot in the Pacific
  • Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us about Who We Are
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • The Big Book of American Trivia
  • Behind Jane Austen's Door
  • The Addicted Brain: Why We Abuse Drugs, Alcohol, and Nicotine
  • Best Little Stories from the Civil War: More than 100 true stories
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
  • Help Me Win at Work: A Business Philosophy called ''Don't Mark My Paper, Help Me Get an A'' (Leading at a Higher Level)
  • 5 of USA's Best Trips
  • The Path to Tyranny
  • Utah Beach: The Amphibious Landing and Airborne Operations on D-Day, June 6, 1944
Founder, writer and Series Editor of History In An Hour (http://historyinanhour.com), owned by HarperCollins UK, and now author of two novels.

The first, "My Brother the Enemy", a novella, is set during the Hungarian Revolution of 1956.

The second, "This Time Tomorrow", set during and following World War One, is a compelling story of war, brotherly love, passion and betrayal.

My third novel, "The Bl
More about Rupert Colley...
The Russian Revolution: History in an Hour The Cold War: History in an Hour The Second World War In An Hour This Time Tomorrow Stalin: History in an Hour