Start by marking “The Bride Wore Spurs (The Inconvenient Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bride Wore Spurs (The Inconvenient Brides, #1)

The Bride Wore Spurs (The Inconvenient Brides #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  576 ratings  ·  64 reviews
A RECKLESS LASS, A RELUCTANT LOVER

Kathleen Lacey O'Carroll knew she faced an uncertain future when she arrived in Wyoming as a mail-order bride – especially when she learned that the man she was to marry hadn't actually ordered her. How could John Winterhawke, a fiercely independent and unsettlingly handsome half-Indian, possibly make room in his heart and in his life for
Published April 4th 2012 by ePublishing Works! (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride Wore Spurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride Wore Spurs

Deborah
I picked this book up as a Kindle freebie. I am certainly glad that i did because it was a great read. I love books that combine humor with the romance. This book gave me humor in spades. Particularly funny was the barn scene where Lacey is coaxing the cow to fill her pail with milk & trying to squeeze the eggs from the rooster. Hilarious!! The author gives us a myriad of emotions in this book. The heroine has lived most of her life in a hospital for the insane. It was mistakenly assumed tha ...more
Ridley
I think this one's dead in the water. The combination of the surly "half-breed" Indian hero and the big to-do about how pale the heroine's skin is is just too racist for me. Sometimes I'll compartmentalize problematic themes and enjoy the work anyway - like I do with misogynist rap lyrics - but nothing about the story is so compelling that I'd feel moved to march on. DNF.
Pamela(AllHoney)
I can't really explain what it was that made me not love this book. There were elements that should have made me like it more but something kept me from it. I guess there wasn't enough going on to keep me from getting bored. It wasn't a terrible book but it just didn't have those certain ingredients that grab you and hold you hostage til the last page.
Noelle
This is the first book that I've read by Sharon Ihle and I really liked her writting style, I loved Lacey (h) and the whole fish out of water theme. Being raised in a hospital for the mentaly insaine she was completely out of her element on a ranch. There was some great LOL moments in the barn when Lacey was trying to comeplete some chores. Hawke (H) was also a very likeable character. He had so much patience with Lacey that it was a nice change from the books that I have been reading.lol He did ...more
babyfishmouth
I was attracted to the premise of the book because it had a fish-out-of-water element to it with the heroine trying to transition from life in an Irish hospital to a life as rancher's wife in Wyoming. That part was done well and had some funny scenes as she grapples to learn simple tasks like milking a cow or cooking breakfast.

I wish I had enjoyed the romance aspects more, though. It was a bit lackluster and predictable. There was nothing special about either Hawke or Lacey that raised it above
Nancy
Despite the tacky dialogue and in some cases bad editing, I really enjoyed this book.
I loved the broken characters and how there romance developed. It was a gentle love story with surprisingly tame sex scenes but that actually fit well with the whole book.
Even though the writing wasn't at the usual standard I read, something drew me to this book and I couldn't put it down. I will be continuing the series as this book surprised and entertained me.
Rachel Wheeler
I really enjoyed this book. There were many funny parts. I had a lil trouble with the end I thought the author rushed the ending. However, I was happy with the ending none the less. Over all it was entertaining and an easy read definitely give it a try . I downloaded it free off of amazon.
Happy Reading :)
Robin
After finding out that her friend Kate is going to America to be a mail-order bride for Caleb Weatherspoon, Lacey O'Carroll begs her to take her along. After all, Caleb's letter did say to bring along a friend to marry his neighbor.

No one told John Winterhawke that his neighbor had requested a mail-order bride for him too. He was immediately suspicious of Lacey. There must be something wrong with her. Why would the beautiful Irishwoman want to marry a half-breed like him? Hawke decided to give h
Dixie
Why doesn't this have better reviews? I had low expectations going in but this was really cute. I even chuckled a couple times. This has been added to my favorites list surprisingly.
Tonileg
How do you know what you are capable of before you test your mettle with life events and traumatic suffering?
Hawke and Miss Kathleen Lacey O'Carroll make a funny crossed star lovers, because one is a half breed Indian rancher in Wyoming and the other is from an insane asylum in Ireland. As it is often found in historical romance novels, she does have some mental/comportment issues as well as being an orphan but there are hint that she is a rich orphan and the institution was probably keeping her
Bonnigene Cloud
This is a sweet romance that begins in a women's home for the insane in Ireland. As Lacey and her long term caregiver find themselves as mail order brides for men on the Wyoming frontier they begin their long adventure to not only love, but to find themselves free of their past mistakes. Lacy, who has never lived outside the institution begins to find that the world is much more interesting and challenging than she could have imagined. When finally arriving in Wyoming she has to learn the necess ...more
Lola4
This was a sweet, warm, and often funny love story, about two flawed but lovable outcasts who were meant for each other. That both would have insecurities and fears of rejection that kept them from being open with their love for each other was written in a believable manner, and for me it worked. I enjoyed reading this book very much, but can't in all honesty give it 5 stars because of several contrived gimmicky elements, such as the silly spur stuff, that detracted from the warmth and humanity ...more
Polly
Very interesting characters and story line. Loved the story. Was glad to see the lack of prejudice in this story among the main characters, even though it was a known item in the towns. Love that they were just 2 people, regardless of skin color, refreshing.
Donna
I thought this was a sweet romance. The read is very enjoyable.

Kathleen Lacey O'Carroll knew she faced an uncertain future when she arrived in Wyoming as a mail-order bride--especially when she learned that the man she was to marry hadn't actually ordered her. How could John Winterhawke, a fiercely independent and unsettlingly handsome half-Indian, possibly make room in his heart and in his life for her?

As far as Hawke was concerned, the last thing he needed was a high-spirited, overeager Irish
Marti
Lacey and Hawke are the main characters in The Bride Wore Spurs. The author is Sharon Ihle and according to advertizing it is the first book in a series called the Inconvenient Bride Series. The book had all the elements of a good "fun" novel. Two characters with a hidden past that is not a big deal to the other one. Both are in love with each other but the other one doesn't know and there is always some big crisis that makes all the secrets come out! However, it is the people and humor in this ...more
Amber Jones
Not too bad of a romance novel.

Girl is put in mental institution because she was considered "mad".

Her nurse helped her to escape from Ireland and go to America as a mail order bride.

Girl is skittish and not real worldly and has very few prejudices against people.

Her husband is considered a "half-breed" and is not a willing participant in taking a bride.

Eventually he decides to marry the gal, but does not realize she was considered "mad" in Ireland.

Everything comes out in the end and all ends w
Tory
This was a funny and sweet read. Watching Lacey try to figure out how to work on the farm was hilarious. Seeing Hawke gradually come to care for Lacey and Lacey fitting into his life was heartwarming.
Mary
A fun read with very different characters. I loved getting to know them all.
Jody
Two mail-order brides arrive for Caleb and his neighbor (unknown to him). Things between the mad Irish woman and the half-breed certainly have their ups and downs. Can in fact get downright firey! Don't forget the involvement of Crowfoot and Hettie the wolf.
RebeccaL
This book surprised me. I wasn't expecting I would like it but it turned out a lot better than I thought. I liked both the h and the H and how they worked through their marriage and found their HEA. There were a few passages in the book which I can't helped myself but laughed while reading it. Although the ending seemed a little bit too easy to resolve everything but it is still a very good read.
Chris Meikle
The cover looks awful but the book was a blast. I laughed out loud and found this to be just what the Dr. ordered for a moment of relaxation. I enjoyed the characters and found them to be charming and believable. There is a couple pages of a tastefully done love scene but it wasn't offensive to me just funny in the way he thought to get her to be his wife after many days of marriage and her dodging the bedroom. I enjoyed but you will have to read for yourselves.
LAWonder10
Once again Sharon Ihle has created a wonderful, delightful story with some unexpected twists.
She is a very talented writer. I would be delighted to recommend her books to book clubs and to Young Adults but because of detailed sexual situations, I cannot do so. The detail is tactfully done, therefore, could be implemented with less detailed and increase her audience.
Ronda Blanke geiger
Very good book. A little slow moving but worth the read.
Karen Nichols
A really good, really fun read. Romantic in its way as two strangers from completely different worlds learn and grow together. Through her eyes, he realizes there are really people who don't see skin color or genetics. Through his, she flourishes and builds herself and her confidence.

Tender, loving and simply human. A really nice story.
Skeeter Jorgensen
This was one of those feel good books and easy to read. A cast of nice simple characters no one overly beautiful, young or talented. A so called "halfbreed", a "madwoman" and an abandoned child" form a dysfunctional family that works. Predjidism, insecurity and strength are all addressed

I enjoyed this book, (rated L-NoG)
Sweet book. This was a free read from Amazon and definitely worth the price. This story revolves around and Irish immigrant and a person of mixed race Native American decent. An interesting story, a nice romance, and a satisfying ending. Sorry I waited so long to read this one.
Sandra
I really, really liked this book. I have no idea why it took me so long to read it.

The same formula as a lot of others.. miscommunication, secrets, half-thruths.. but it's no spoiler to say the H/h get their HEA... It's a romance novel after all.

Christa
Sweet story, lovely characters, and a very enjoyable read. That said, it's a typical historical romance, and you either like those or you don't. This was a good one, but it seems unnecessary to write more than a paragraph to convey that.
  • The Texan's Bride
  • The Bridal Veil
  • Wildblossom
  • Texas Lily
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Train Station Bride
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • A Promise of Thunder (Horizon Set, #2)
  • Under the Desert Moon
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
  • Cherish
  • California Caress
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • After The Ashes
  • Dark Warrior: To Tame a Wild Hawk (Dark Cloth, #1)
  • The English Heiress (Royal Dynasty, #1)
  • Short Straw Bride
Pseudonyms: June Cameron, Sharon MacIver.

Sharon Ihle is the best-selling author of more than a dozen award-winning historical romances set in the American West. She lived in San Diego County until 2000. She then left the sunny beaches of California and moved to the frozen plains of North Dakota.
More about Sharon Ihle...
Untamed (Wild Women, #1) The Bride Wore Feathers The Law and Miss Penny (Law and Disorder, #1) To Love a Scoundrel (Law and Disorder, #4) Dear Penelope

“A lifetime of happiness: No man alive could bear it: It would be hell on earth. —George Bernard Shaw” 0 likes