Start by marking “Dark Shadows: Angelique's Descent” as Want to Read:
Dark Shadows: Angelique's Descent

Dark Shadows: Angelique's Descent (Dark Shadows #1)

Dark Shadows’s two most popular characters, Barnabas Collins and Angelique, were eternally bound by love and hate. Now actress Lara Parker, Angelique herself, tells the story of how it all began.

The dashing heir of a New England shipping magnate, Barnabas Collins captures the heart of the exquisite, young Angelique amidst the sensual beauty of Martinique, her island home.
Published April 10th 2012 by Macmillan (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Shadows

Wanda
My boyfriend and I got talking recently about the factors that have shaped our literary tastes. I’m a devoted fantasy reader, which started with Tolkien, and he is similarly committed to the world of Sherlock Holmes. We found we had wide-ranging influences, including books, comic books and TV shows. We share fond memories of the campy Batman show featuring Adam West, comic books like Superman and Turok Son of Stone, the Wizard of Oz, and the animated Spiderman series on TV when we were kids.

It’s
Jill Jackson
Sep 08, 2012 Jill Jackson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Shadows fans
As a fan of Dark Shadows, I was curious to read Lara Parker's prequel to the never-ending tragedy of Barnabas and Angelique. I did not have high expectations for the novel, assuming it would be a good read but on a par with formulaic romance stories. My low expectations were surpassed fairly quickly, however, by an interesting and well-written storyline.

I would hope that readers new to the mythology of Dark Shadows could enjoy this novel on it's own merits, but I am not certain of that being th
Mieneke
May 13, 2012 Mieneke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2012, romance
When I was approached to review Dark Shadows: Angelique's Descent, one of the reasons I accepted was the fact that this was the story on which the new Tim Burton film was based. The other was that this was a book definitely a little outside of my comfort zone and I think it is important to challenge your reading habits at times. Unfortunately, I failed my own challenge. This book was a struggle for me. It wasn't my cup of tea, turning out to be far more on the romance side than I expected. If I ...more
Carolina Dean
Jun 08, 2011 Carolina Dean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by the actress who played the evil witch Angelique on the daytime soap-opera Dark Shadows, Angelique’s Descent tells the story of how the woman became the witch we loved to hate.

The story jumps intermittently between the present (1971) and the past, roughly 200 years prior as Barnabus Collins reads Angelique’s journal which he found at the ‘old house’ as it is often referred to in the series. The first half of the novel describes Angelique’s early childhood in late 18th century San Marti
Enchantress  ☮Debbicat ஐ
Finished this earlier today. It was very good. I am no real reviewer, but I know what I like, and I like Lara Parker's writing and this story, these characters, this setting. It was beautifully written with descriptions that easily took me to the setting of Martinique, the home of Angelique during childhood, and Collinwood, where the Collins family lives.

I bought this on kindle first, being very eager to read it at the beginning of my October, All Hallows Read Challenge. I later realized a had
Anja Braun
May 25, 2012 Anja Braun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Shadows fans
Shelves: dark-shadows
This is Angelique's story..Why did she become the woman you know from the t.v. series or movie? Her mother had been a medicine woman who believed in magic.So from a very early age Angelique had seen her do spells. One day her supposed father took her away from her carefree life by the sea and thus began the strange, sad tale of Angelique.

Angelique had actually met Barnabas at a young age.The meeting made quite an impression on both of them.

Angelique started dabbling in "Evil" magic when she foun
Rebecca
Reviewed for Book Chick City

DARK SHADOWS: ANGELIQUE’S DESCENT by Lara Parker is based upon the old Dark Shadows TV series, and details the history of witch Angelique, and her relationship with vampire Barnabas.

Having never seen the Dark Shadows TV series, or the recent Dark Shadows movie starring Johnny Depp, I was a little confused when starting this book, as it seemed as if background knowledge of the characters was needed in order to fully connect with
Don Weiss
Jan 28, 2014 Don Weiss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Since coming across a description of this novel in a magazine back in 1999, I’d always kept it in the back of my mind to read, yet somehow never got around to it. Fast-forward years later, and to the availability of books on Kindle, and I was able to obtain a copy of ANGELIQUE’S DESCENT. It was worth the wait. The story, which takes place in the continuity of the original DARK SHADOWS series, visits the early life of Angelique Bouchard, the sorceress/femme fatale responsible for the plight of th ...more
Emma Valieu
[3.5/5]

Quand Barnabas croise Angélique, c'est le coup de foudre. Elle qui est d'une beauté si saisissante et atypique lui donnera bien du mal pour se laisser charmer par ce beau parleur jusqu'à ce qu'elle lui offre finalement son coeur... pour son plus grand malheur. Angélique, sorcière de naissance, prêtresse vaudoo de "formation", va passionnément aimer Barnabas Collins, à la vie mais surtout à la mort.

Moi qui avais pas mal aimé le film Dark Shadows de Tim Burton , j'ai trouvé l'idée d'écri
Gidget Strickland
As a fan of the original soap saga, I was pleased that my favorite character, had
a book based off her story, and her love written by the woman who portrayed her.
Angelique's Descent was not just a love story between Angelique and the vampire
you hated to love Barnabus Collins, it was a tale of her birth, her trials in her
youth, and her love/hate for Barnabus.
You find that Angelique came from a long line of voodoo, and witchcraft, and
that her father took her away to basically make her a goddess for
Dawn
Nov 09, 2014 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother loves this show, but my memories of it are vague and seen through the foggy haze of youth. Therefore I'm judging this book on its own merits and not comparing it to the show (or the recent movie, which I did see). I think I liked it more after I finished and thought back on it than I did when I was actually reading it. The reason for that is the parts that take place in the "present" (actually 1971). I found those parts to be a bit boring and they completely took me out of the story. I ...more
Ramie
Apr 17, 2012 Ramie rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, fantasy, witches
I wasn't yet around when the tv version of Dark Shadows was on the air but I have recently started to watch it. Having seen some of the show out of order and now starting it in order, I know bits and pieces of the story of Barnabas, Josette, and Angelique but not all. Needless to say when I saw this book, I figured why not. It should put a lot of things into place for me. I'm not exactly worried about spoilers at this point.

This is a good telling of Angelique's story from childhood until her dea
Amanda
Feb 09, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Just finished Lara Parker’s 1st “Dark Shadows” novel “Angelique’s Descent” and it was great!!! :D Lara is an amazing writer and she created such a great backstory for her character Angelique. Some of it shocked me and it totally had me feel even more for her character in ways the show never really was able to do (like explain her childhood and how she became a witch). It was a bit hard to get through at first with her childhood but once it started picking up with her as a teenager, meeting and f ...more
Reeny
Nov 08, 2011 Reeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved Angelique she was my favorite character on the Dark Shadows series besides Vicki winters. Lara Parkers books lend much profoundness to Angelique and her background, I had always wondered about her mother, her father her family and home and how she came about practing witchcraft Voodoo, and this book explained it all and it answered many of my question about her.
Adele
Feb 12, 2011 Adele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not too sure of her acting, but MAN! the woman can write! After a bit, I refused to read it after dark. I have another Dark Shadows book on my TBR shelves for nearly 10 years that I've been too scared to read yet. (For the curious, it's "Dark Shadows: Dreams of the Dark" by Stephen M. Rainey, pub. 1999.)
Erin
Apr 16, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Lara Parker's writing is amazing. She truly captures the feel of the show and in this novel, gives us insight in to the mind of Angelique. I think that fans of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles would also enjoy this book..it has the same type of rich historic atmosphere. A must read for any fans of dark shadows!
E Jeanne Harnois
Picked up this book as I was a fan of the original series. Actually bought it because I was intrigued by author's background. Not that she was the actress from the original show, that alone would have made me put it back as fan-fiction, but that she appears to have the literary skills/talent to pull this prequel off. We'll see!
Follow up: An entertaining read, but about 100 pages too long.
Sara Mae
Jun 12, 2012 Sara Mae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Lara Parker is an excellent writer and this is one of the best novels I have read. I highly recommend it. It draws you into the characters and fills you with passion. One of my favorite books.
Phyllis Sroka
Aug 14, 2012 Phyllis Sroka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lara Parker tells the story of fire at Collingwood. Barnabas' struggles with his past. Julia tries to help Banabas overcome his past. Great so far-page 46!
Andy
Jun 05, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice continuation from the originals by one of the actors who was there from the beginning (almost). Have enjoyed her books so far and I saw she has a new one coming out soon!!!
Claire
L’Antologia degli Inganni

« Tutti coloro che ho amato mi sono stati strappati. C’è qualcosa di pericoloso in me, un potere oscuro che non comprendo... »
[Angelique - Dark Shadows - pag. 284]

Se il film di Tim Burton (in programmazione in questi giorni) pare avere principalmente l’intento di riportare in auge e di rendere omaggio alla gothic soap opera “Dark Shadows”, il romanzo di Lara Parker — primo di una serie — trova radici in un sorta di auto-espiazione, per il ruolo di Angelique che ne consac
Lisachan
Stefania
Jun 16, 2012 Stefania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark Shadows La maledizione di Angelique è il primo volume di una trilogia nata dalla penna di Lara Parker e pubblicato lo scorso mese di maggio dalla Casa Editrice Tre60.

Premetto che sono stata attratta fin da subito da questo romanzo in quanto i personaggi presenti nella trama sono già noti agli schermi televisivi fin dalla fine degli anni '60. L'autrice stessa, il cui vero nome è Lamar Richey Hawkins, recitò la parte di Angelique nell'omonima serie televisiva di grande successo degli anni '6
Sofia
Jun 03, 2012 Sofia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ho finito l'altro ieri di leggere Dark Shadows e ora finalmente ho un po' di tempo per scrivere la recensione.
Devo dire che la trama mi ispirava molto e in un certo senso mi aspettavo molto da questo libro ma purtroppo le mie aspettative sono state deluse: sostanzialmente per tutte le 434 pagine non succede poi molto. Non c'è azione e quella poca che c'è viene raccontata con poco trasporto emotivo.

Interessante però la scelta dell'autrice nell'impostazione del romanzo. Si può dire, infatti, che
Nereia
May 07, 2012 Nereia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Questa recensione è tratta dal mio blog personale: Recensione Dark Shadows. La maledizione di Angelique

Ombre oscure sì... ma di noia!

Ho acquistato Dark Shadows in vista dell'uscita, nelle sale cinematografiche, dell'omonimo film di Tim Burton. Purtroppo, però, non mi sono documentata approfonditamente prima di cliccare il tasto "aggiungi al carrello" su Amazon. Se lo avessi fatto mi sarei certamente risparmiata non solo una brutta lettura, ma anche il peso di dover scrivere una brutta recensione
Lucia  The Loyal Book
Dark Shadows segue principalmente la vita di Angelique, dall'infanzia fino all'incontro con Barnabas, l'affascinante rampollo che le ruberà il cuore. Scritto da Lara Parker, l'attrice che interpretò il ruolo di questa misteriosa strega nella serie televisiva andata in onda anni fa, Dark Shadows è un libro che ci porta alla scoperta dei lati più oscuri e reconditi di Angelique.
Scritto superbamente, con uno stile evocativo che coinvolge grazie alle descrizioni vivide e, a tratti, quasi violente,
Stefi Il Giardino delle rose
Lara Parker affronta la storia di Angelique e di Barnabas partendo dal presente: Barnabas è libero, non è più un vampiro, non si è ancora abituato alla sua nuova condizione di umano perché per troppo tempo è stato prigioniero di desideri abominevoli. Ora una nuova vita lo attende, con Julia ed il gesto per sugellare questa rinascita sarebbe stata la distruzione della Casa Antica, dove tutto ebbe inizio, programmata per il giorno seguente.

Quella notte Barnabas viene misteriosamente attratto verso
Adriana
Jun 14, 2014 Adriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beh, allora.
Partivo con poche aspettative. Non ne avevo molto sentito parlare, e comunque non avevo grandi speranze,ma mi sono ricreduta.
Pensavo che sarei andata incontro ad un libro fantasy basato sui vampiri e streghe (quello che racconta la trama), ma non è stato così.
Il protagonista principale è Barnabas. Da subito capiamo che precedentemente era un vampiro, ma adesso, liberatosi dalla maledizione, è di nuovo umano. Trova tra le ceneri della sua vecchia casa egli trova il diario di Angeliqu
Letizia
Jun 21, 2012 Letizia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sono rimasta ammaliata da questo romanzo... e.. sorpresa! Si, assolutamente incredula, di fronte alla complessità della trama sopratutto se accostata al film appena uscito...
Il paragone è ovvio quanto necessario, perchè si tratta di due cose completamente diverse. Da un lato abbiamo il film, divertente, un pizzico irriverente, ma piacevolmente spensierato, pur mantendendo intatte le atmosfere gotiche, dall'altro uno splendido diario/racconto sulla vita della nostra protagonista Angelique.
Cosa
Sarah Crawford
Jan 14, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is nothing less than an excellent story of how Angelique became the hateful witch of the series. Not only that, but it also explains how she developed such an interest in Barnabas. When Angelique was young she lived in Martinique and was badly abused by her supposed father in order to help keep the slaves in line. She was little more than a prisoner to be used by her father when he needed to hold a ceremony.

This background story is centered around a present-day story where a cured Barnabas
  • Dark Shadows (Dark Shadows, #1)
  • The Dark Shadows Companion: 25th Anniversary Collection
  • Prophecies (The Lost Slayer, #1)
  • True Blood, Volume 3: The French Quarter
  • The Cordelia Collection (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Novelizations, #12)
  • Softspoken
  • The Willow Files, Vol. 2 (The Willow Files, #2)
  • Sins of the Fathers (Gabriel Knight, #1)
  • The Quotable Slayer
  • Vestal Virgin
  • Fright Night
  • The Xander Years, Vol. 2 (The Xander Years, #2)
  • True Blood, Volume 2: Tainted Love
  • Vampire Island (Vampire Island, #1)
  • Shiva 3000
  • Japan
LARA PARKER played the role of Angelique on Dark Shadows. She grew up in Memphis Tennessee, attended Vassar College, majored in Drama at the University of Iowa, and received her MFA in Creative Writing from Antioch University at Los Angeles. She lives in Topanga Canyon, California.
More about Lara Parker...

Dark Shadows (4 books)
  • The Salem Branch (Dark Shadows)
  • Dark Shadows: Heiress of Collinwood