Dark Shadows: Angelique's Descent

Dark Shadows: Angelique's Descent (Dark Shadows #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Dark Shadows’s two most popular characters, Barnabas Collins and Angelique, were eternally bound by love and hate. Now actress Lara Parker, Angelique herself, tells the story of how it all began.

The dashing heir of a New England shipping magnate, Barnabas Collins captures the heart of the exquisite, young Angelique amidst the sensual beauty of Martinique, her island home....more
Published April 10th 2012 by Macmillan (first published 1998)

Jill Jackson
Oct 06, 2012 Jill Jackson rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Shadows fans
As a fan of Dark Shadows, I was curious to read Lara Parker's prequel to the never-ending tragedy of Barnabas and Angelique. I did not have high expectations for the novel, assuming it would be a good read but on a par with formulaic romance stories. My low expectations were surpassed fairly quickly, however, by an interesting and well-written storyline.

I would hope that readers new to the mythology of Dark Shadows could enjoy this novel on it's own merits, but I am not certain of that being th...more
Mieneke
When I was approached to review Dark Shadows: Angelique's Descent, one of the reasons I accepted was the fact that this was the story on which the new Tim Burton film was based. The other was that this was a book definitely a little outside of my comfort zone and I think it is important to challenge your reading habits at times. Unfortunately, I failed my own challenge. This book was a struggle for me. It wasn't my cup of tea, turning out to be far more on the romance side than I expected. If I...more
Ramie
I wasn't yet around when the tv version of Dark Shadows was on the air but I have recently started to watch it. Having seen some of the show out of order and now starting it in order, I know bits and pieces of the story of Barnabas, Josette, and Angelique but not all. Needless to say when I saw this book, I figured why not. It should put a lot of things into place for me. I'm not exactly worried about spoilers at this point.

This is a good telling of Angelique's story from childhood until her dea...more
Carolina Dean
Written by the actress who played the evil witch Angelique on the daytime soap-opera Dark Shadows, Angelique’s Descent tells the story of how the woman became the witch we loved to hate.

The story jumps intermittently between the present (1971) and the past, roughly 200 years prior as Barnabus Collins reads Angelique’s journal which he found at the ‘old house’ as it is often referred to in the series. The first half of the novel describes Angelique’s early childhood in late 18th century San Marti...more
Athena Braun
Jun 28, 2012 Athena Braun rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Shadows fans
Shelves: dark-shadows
This is Angelique's story..Why did she become the woman you know from the t.v. series or movie? Her mother had been a medicine woman who believed in magic.So from a very early age Angelique had seen her do spells. One day her supposed father took her away from her carefree life by the sea and thus began the strange, sad tale of Angelique.

Angelique had actually met Barnabas at a young age.The meeting made quite an impression on both of them.

Angelique started dabbling in "Evil" magic when she foun...more
Adriana
Beh, allora.
Partivo con poche aspettative. Non ne avevo molto sentito parlare, e comunque non avevo grandi speranze,ma mi sono ricreduta.
Pensavo che sarei andata incontro ad un libro fantasy basato sui vampiri e streghe (quello che racconta la trama), ma non è stato così.
Il protagonista principale è Barnabas. Da subito capiamo che precedentemente era un vampiro, ma adesso, liberatosi dalla maledizione, è di nuovo umano. Trova tra le ceneri della sua vecchia casa egli trova il diario di Angeliqu...more
E Jeanne Harnois
Picked up this book as I was a fan of the original series. Actually bought it because I was intrigued by author's background. Not that she was the actress from the original show, that alone would have made me put it back as fan-fiction, but that she appears to have the literary skills/talent to pull this prequel off. We'll see!
Follow up: An entertaining read, but about 100 pages too long.
Reeny
I have always loved Angelique she was my favorite character on the Dark Shadows series besides Vicki winters. Lara Parkers books lend much profoundness to Angelique and her background, I had always wondered about her mother, her father her family and home and how she came about practing witchcraft Voodoo, and this book explained it all and it answered many of my question about her.
Gidget Strickland
As a fan of the original soap saga, I was pleased that my favorite character, had
a book based off her story, and her love written by the woman who portrayed her.
Angelique's Descent was not just a love story between Angelique and the vampire
you hated to love Barnabus Collins, it was a tale of her birth, her trials in her
youth, and her love/hate for Barnabus.
You find that Angelique came from a long line of voodoo, and witchcraft, and
that her father took her away to basically make her a goddess for...more
Erin
Lara Parker's writing is amazing. She truly captures the feel of the show and in this novel, gives us insight in to the mind of Angelique. I think that fans of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles would also enjoy this book..it has the same type of rich historic atmosphere. A must read for any fans of dark shadows!
Adele
Not too sure of her acting, but MAN! the woman can write! After a bit, I refused to read it after dark. I have another Dark Shadows book on my TBR shelves for nearly 10 years that I've been too scared to read yet. (For the curious, it's "Dark Shadows: Dreams of the Dark" by Stephen M. Rainey, pub. 1999.)
Amanda
Just finished Lara Parker’s 1st “Dark Shadows” novel “Angelique’s Descent” and it was great!!! :D Lara is an amazing writer and she created such a great backstory for her character Angelique. Some of it shocked me and it totally had me feel even more for her character in ways the show never really was able to do (like explain her childhood and how she became a witch). It was a bit hard to get through at first with her childhood but once it started picking up with her as a teenager, meeting and f...more
Don Weiss
Since coming across a description of this novel in a magazine back in 1999, I’d always kept it in the back of my mind to read, yet somehow never got around to it. Fast-forward years later, and to the availability of books on Kindle, and I was able to obtain a copy of ANGELIQUE’S DESCENT. It was worth the wait. The story, which takes place in the continuity of the original DARK SHADOWS series, visits the early life of Angelique Bouchard, the sorceress/femme fatale responsible for the plight of th...more
Sara Mae
I loved this book! Lara Parker is an excellent writer and this is one of the best novels I have read. I highly recommend it. It draws you into the characters and fills you with passion. One of my favorite books.
Andy
Nice continuation from the originals by one of the actors who was there from the beginning (almost). Have enjoyed her books so far and I saw she has a new one coming out soon!!!
Phyllis Sroka
Lara Parker tells the story of fire at Collingwood. Barnabas' struggles with his past. Julia tries to help Banabas overcome his past. Great so far-page 46!
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Reviewed by Rebecca for www.BookChickCity.com

DARK SHADOWS: ANGELIQUE’S DESCENT by Lara Parker is based upon the old Dark Shadows TV series, and details the history of witch Angelique, and her relationship with vampire Barnabas.

Having never seen the Dark Shadows TV series, or the recent Dark Shadows movie starring Johnny Depp, I was a little confused when starting this book, as it seemed as if background knowledge of the characters was needed in order to fully connect with the story. There is ver...more
Lucia  The Loyal Book
Dark Shadows segue principalmente la vita di Angelique, dall'infanzia fino all'incontro con Barnabas, l'affascinante rampollo che le ruberà il cuore. Scritto da Lara Parker, l'attrice che interpretò il ruolo di questa misteriosa strega nella serie televisiva andata in onda anni fa, Dark Shadows è un libro che ci porta alla scoperta dei lati più oscuri e reconditi di Angelique.
Scritto superbamente, con uno stile evocativo che coinvolge grazie alle descrizioni vivide e, a tratti, quasi violente,...more
Stefania
Dark Shadows La maledizione di Angelique è il primo volume di una trilogia nata dalla penna di Lara Parker e pubblicato lo scorso mese di maggio dalla Casa Editrice Tre60.

Premetto che sono stata attratta fin da subito da questo romanzo in quanto i personaggi presenti nella trama sono già noti agli schermi televisivi fin dalla fine degli anni '60. L'autrice stessa, il cui vero nome è Lamar Richey Hawkins, recitò la parte di Angelique nell'omonima serie televisiva di grande successo degli anni '6...more
Rebecca
Reviewed for Book Chick City

Alessia ProfumoLibri
La recensione completa sul mio blog Il profumo dei libri

... Nel romanzo troviamo scene crude e molto forti soprattutto nella prima parte del libro, queste scene possono piacere o meno; ma credo che servano per comprendere realmente quello che la protagonista ha passato e quello che la circonda.

Lara Parker per questo romanzo si è ispirata alla serie televisiva degli anni '90 che andava in onda in America, in cui lei interpretava Angelique, ecco il motivo per cui credo sia riuscita a raccontare co...more
Sara
Era già da qualche tempo che volevo leggere questo libro, nello specifico da quando ho visto il film diretto da Tim Burton ed interpretato da un Johnny Depp che però, lasciatemelo dire, non mi è sembrato molto a suo agio nei panni del vampiro un po' svampito.
Ad ogni modo, finalmente ho trovato l'occasione di immergermi nella sua lettura ma, ahimè, devo ammettere che non mi ha entusiasmata più di tanto. A differenza del film di Burton, in cui vediamo Barnabas come protagonista principale accerchi...more
Stefi Il Giardino delle rose
Lara Parker affronta la storia di Angelique e di Barnabas partendo dal presente: Barnabas è libero, non è più un vampiro, non si è ancora abituato alla sua nuova condizione di umano perché per troppo tempo è stato prigioniero di desideri abominevoli. Ora una nuova vita lo attende, con Julia ed il gesto per sugellare questa rinascita sarebbe stata la distruzione della Casa Antica, dove tutto ebbe inizio, programmata per il giorno seguente.

Quella notte Barnabas viene misteriosamente attratto verso...more
Stefania
Ah Tim Burton, sei quasi riuscito a rovinarmi pure questo libro!Per fortuna mi sono fermata al trailer del film!

La maledizione di Angelique è un libro scritto da Lara Parker, l'attrice che interpretò il ruolo di Angelique nell'omonima serie tv, e che spiega come la stessa diventò strega e si innamorò di Barnabas, per poi perderlo e maledirlo. La scusa per narrare questo antefatto è data dal ritrovamento da parte dell'ex-vampiro (ebbene si!con l'aiuto di qualche medicina è riuscito a tornare uman...more
Lisachan
Claire
L’Antologia degli Inganni

« Tutti coloro che ho amato mi sono stati strappati. C’è qualcosa di pericoloso in me, un potere oscuro che non comprendo... »
[Angelique - Dark Shadows - pag. 284]

Se il film di Tim Burton (in programmazione in questi giorni) pare avere principalmente l’intento di riportare in auge e di rendere omaggio alla gothic soap opera “Dark Shadows”, il romanzo di Lara Parker — primo di una serie — trova radici in un sorta di auto-espiazione, per il ruolo di Angelique che ne consac...more
Letizia
Sono rimasta ammaliata da questo romanzo... e.. sorpresa! Si, assolutamente incredula, di fronte alla complessità della trama sopratutto se accostata al film appena uscito...
Il paragone è ovvio quanto necessario, perchè si tratta di due cose completamente diverse. Da un lato abbiamo il film, divertente, un pizzico irriverente, ma piacevolmente spensierato, pur mantendendo intatte le atmosfere gotiche, dall'altro uno splendido diario/racconto sulla vita della nostra protagonista Angelique.
Cosa...more
Sophie
Ho finito l'altro ieri di leggere Dark Shadows e ora finalmente ho un po' di tempo per scrivere la recensione.
Devo dire che la trama mi ispirava molto e in un certo senso mi aspettavo molto da questo libro ma purtroppo le mie aspettative sono state deluse: sostanzialmente per tutte le 434 pagine non succede poi molto. Non c'è azione e quella poca che c'è viene raccontata con poco trasporto emotivo.

Interessante però la scelta dell'autrice nell'impostazione del romanzo. Si può dire, infatti, che...more
Nereia
Questa recensione è tratta dal mio blog personale: Recensione Dark Shadows. La maledizione di Angelique

Ombre oscure sì... ma di noia!

Ho acquistato Dark Shadows in vista dell'uscita, nelle sale cinematografiche, dell'omonimo film di Tim Burton. Purtroppo, però, non mi sono documentata approfonditamente prima di cliccare il tasto "aggiungi al carrello" su Amazon. Se lo avessi fatto mi sarei certamente risparmiata non solo una brutta lettura, ma anche il peso di dover scrivere una brutta recensione...more
Edward Butler
I was really impressed by this book. Despite some shortcomings, it was the best tie-in novel of any kind that I've read. Lara Parker, who played Angelique on the show, has brought her to life on the page with a depth and sensitivity way beyond anything the original writers, with all due respect, could ever have imagined.

The only problems for me were, first, that the chapters which take place in 1971 are uninteresting, and don't really add anything to the main story, which takes place in the 18t...more
  • More Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
  • The Willow Files, Vol. 1 (The Willow Files, #1)
  • Prophecies (The Lost Slayer, #1)
  • Vestal Virgin
  • The Gorgeous Georgians (Horrible Histories)
  • Twelve Minutes to Midnight (Twelve Minutes to Midnight, #1)
  • The Xander Years, Vol. 2 (The Xander Years, #2)
  • True Blood, Volume 2: Tainted Love
  • Vampire Island (Vampire Island, #1)
  • Once Bitten
  • Wonder Tales: The Book of Wonder and Tales of Wonder
  • The Faith Trials (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Novelizations, #10)
  • The Longest Night (Angel: Season 3, #3)
  • Reawakened (Once Upon a Time, #1)
  • The Quotable Slayer
  • Ghoul Trouble (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #4)
  • Crossings (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #5)
  • Yellow Moon: A  Novel
LARA PARKER played the role of Angelique on Dark Shadows. She grew up in Memphis Tennessee, attended Vassar College, majored in Drama at the University of Iowa, and received her MFA in Creative Writing from Antioch University at Los Angeles. She lives in Topanga Canyon, California.
More about Lara Parker...
The Salem Branch (Dark Shadows) Dark Shadows: Wolf Moon Rising Angelique's Descent, Part 1 (Dark Shadows Dramatic Readings, #1) Angelique's Descent, Part 2 (Dark Shadows Dramatic Readings, #2) Life Outside the Comfort Zone