Start by marking “Unnatural: The Heretical Idea of Making People” as Want to Read:
Unnatural: The Heretical Idea of Making People

Unnatural: The Heretical Idea of Making People

Can we make a human being? The question has been asked for many centuries, and has produced recipes ranging from the clay golem of Jewish legend to the mass-produced test-tube babies in Brave New World. Unnatural delves beneath the surface of the cultural history of 'anthropoeia' - the artificial creation of people - to explore what it tells us about our views on life, hum ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Vintage (first published February 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Unnatural, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unnatural

Damon Young
Mar 14, 2014 Damon Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ball's basic outlook is both Socratic and Delphic. It is Socratic because it concerns the examined life. Each new advance in biotechnology can challenge our prejudices. For those who thought test tube babies would be soulless, infertile things, we have Louise Brown, and the millions of IVF babies born since her birth in 1978. Her humanity was not stolen by artificial conception. Life changes, and our ethical debates must keep up � we cannot rest on our moral laurels.

Ball's vision is also Delphic
Daniel Salvo
Aug 27, 2015 Daniel Salvo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uno de los mejores libros de divulgación que he leido. Traza un panorama histórico, desde los albores de la alquimia (400 AC) hasta nuestros días, de las creencias que nos han acompañado en torno a la creación de vida artificial. Sorprendente y revelador descubrir que muchos de nuestros temores "éticos" frente a la manipulación genetica, la fecundación asistida y la terapia genómica se originan en imágenes y mitos provenientes de ... la ciencia ficción.
Cassandra Kay Silva
I felt like there was way too much other book referencing in this book. I get that a lot of popular science books spend a great amount of time rehashing science history in their particular field, but this did not even really do that. It was more about the myths and culture surrounding the general idea of human making and how this affects our current views of bio ethical problems with things like cloning and genetic engineering and IVF. I kind of got sick of Frankenstein with this one.
Robin
Jul 17, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Blot et enkelt år efter at Philip Ball udgav sin bog ’The Music Instinct’, er der kommet en ny bog af den engelske journalist og forfatter, der i mange år har udmærket sig ved at kunne kombinere formidlingen af den nyeste naturvidenskab (i blandt andet fagbladet Nature) med en pragmatisk og midtsøgende humanisme. Philip Ball er ikke fundamentalist, og det er efterhånden en sjældenhed at finde videnskabsskribenter, som ikke blot mestrer ny naturvidenskabelig viden, men også sætter den i en breder ...more
Elentarri
An overview of the IDEA of making people from the ancient world to modern IVF treatments. Includes a rather extensive overview of all the fiction literature that examined this subject. Interesting but rather bland reading.
Adamas
Jan 21, 2012 Adamas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved how this book went in to the history in the first half and then compared it with grate affect in the second to todays views.a must read as this review is certinly inadaquite.
Paul Vittay
Paul Vittay rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2017
Grig
Grig rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Gaston Levin
Gaston Levin rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Robert Hopper
Robert Hopper rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Chris McGowan
Chris McGowan rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2017
S. Naomi Scott
S. Naomi Scott rated it liked it
May 02, 2014
Thomas Brassington
Thomas Brassington rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Manu
Manu rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2013
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2012
RaeRedqueen
RaeRedqueen rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Jessica Thomas
Jessica Thomas rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Claire-Jane
Claire-Jane rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Dion Cheney
Dion Cheney rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Brad Spiers
Brad Spiers rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Selene Mauretto
Selene Mauretto rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Sameer Borate
Sameer Borate rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Dock Currie
Dock Currie rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2012
Tanja Berg
Tanja Berg rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2016
Arthur Walker
Arthur Walker rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
22032
Philip Ball (born 1962) is an English science writer. He holds a degree in chemistry from Oxford and a doctorate in physics from Bristol University. He was an editor for the journal Nature for over 10 years. He now writes a regular column in Chemistry World. Ball's most-popular book is the 2004 Critical Mass: How One Things Leads to Another, winner of the 2005 Aventis Prize for Science Books. It e ...more
More about Philip Ball...