Start by marking “Interventions” as Want to Read:
Interventions

Interventions

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In what many perceive as a coldly relentless digital age, Pulitzer-prize winning author Richard Russo has teamed up with his daughter, artist Kate Russo, to present this tribute to the printed book. This handsome and inventive format—four individually bound volumes gathered in a slipcase—combines the previously unpublished novella “Intervention” with three shorter works, t ...more
Published June 16th 2012 by Down East Books

To ask other readers questions about Interventions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interventions

Wendy
I am an unabashed fan of Richard Russo. As a longtime resident of upstate NY (WNY), his writing speaks to me. He is a master at capturing the dichotomy of die-hardiness/hopelessness that characterizes small manufacturing towns.

This collection of 3 shorts stories and a novella is physically simple and beautiful. Four slim volumes are slipcased and include postcard-sized original paintings by Richard's daughter, Kate. The paintings are very evocative and greatly add to each of the pieces. I found
Ethan
There are some stories that work better as a novella then as a full book. This set is a good example of that. It's a beautify packaged set of four novellas. Three of which I enjoyed a lot, one I could have done without. If you liked Empire Falls or other Russo novels then you should read this set.
Nancy
I loved the four stories that are part of this collection. In High and Dry, he speaks about Gloversville where he grew up. Its history and what it means to him. He admits that it creeps in to almost all of his other writing, and since I have enjoyed his writing so much, it was a pleasure to read about his feelings about the place where he grew up. The Whore's Child haunted me for days after I finished reading it. It is the story of a nun who went from a very unhappy childhood as a ward of a conv ...more
Dan
A thoroughly engaging set of 4 short stories by my favorite author. I'd give it 5 stars but finished each so quickly I would have liked to see more included in this collection. Still, even a little Russo goes a long way!
Jonathan
I have a mixed relationship with short stories: I want to like them more than I do and often give up mid-way when reading collections.

However, Russo's Interventions was an exception. I loved each of the four short stories (novellas?) in it.

I was attracted to Interventions initially because of its unique and attractive presentation--as well as the note on the back cover about the inspiration for such presentation (related to Russo's commitment to the physical book).

Interventions has four stories
Clif Brittain
This is an interesting designation. Russo will be attending an author event (Opus & Olives, Friends of the St. Paul Public Library), so I thought I'd read his book. It turns out that it is a booklet. The promotional material did not say it was part of a collection, and the library has it catalogued as a separate work of fiction, unrelated to the other three parts of the collection.

All I can say is that it has an interesting intersections of themes. For several days after I read it, I was dis
Kathleen
True to Russo's style, this book only had one flaw...I wanted it to go on!! Amazing how much I knew about the characters in such a short novella, with generational and marital issues front and center. Worth the read.
Karen Carlson
I greatly admire the concept (an homage to The Book; local and green production) and the family involvement (his daughter did the art, his son-in-law the design). I enjoyed the stories. But I'm just not able to spend $10 per story, when I'd already read one and another is available online. So I waited for the library copy. Detailed comments (with possible spoilers) including the talk he and his daughter gave at my local library about the process of creating the book blogged on A Just Recompense. ...more
Mike
Can't go wrong with Richard Russo, who wrote my favorite book, Empire Falls. These four stories are light, but filled as usual with great characters. The characters make his writing stand out to me. Perhaps the most memorable character in these stories is Richard Russo himself. One of the is an autobiographical essay which is certain to be a centerpiece, or at least touched on, in his upcoming memoir. We can add that one to my reading list.
Mary
I love Richard Russo's style of writing. I read the novella "Intervention", which is about a realtor named Ray over the course of a few days. He is thinking about a new health crisis and processing memories of his dad. This was on the "staff picks" shelf at the library and I knew I could finish it quickly. I am falling behind in my 2013 Reading Challengebut even if I wasn't behind I would have read this.
Peggy
This is a collection of four slim volumes packaged in a slip case. I HAD to own it. Russo created the set as a tribute to the book. It is not for sale as an e-book. His daughter contributed artwork to the collection. It includes two short stories, a novella, and the beginnings of his memoir (Elsewhere), which I am currently reading. I now realize that so much of what he's lived is in his novel Empire Falls.
Bea
This is four little booklets, each one a short story, cleverly disguised as a novel. All were well written, but I thought "High and Dry" was a little dull. It relates to the small town the author grew up in whose main industry was a glove factory. My favorite was "The Whore's Child", about a nun whose real mother was a prostitute. If you are a Richard Russo fan you will like these.
Erika
Lovely. Each novella was lovely. Read the memoir last, though, and I think it will be meaningful only to Russo fans, those who have worked through the rest of his writing.
Amy Rhodes
For some reason I had thought this was a memoir?? but not; in fact, it is a very short novella but still classic Russo and a treat. Much better than his last (the Cape Cod thing)and though slender and almost ephemeral, a pleasure to read.
Monica
Richard Russo is a master at describing in poetic detail the most mundane, quotidien events in life that just keep me wanting to read more. "Empire Falls" remains one of my favorite books, but I just enjoy his writing.
Ritarose
From time to time, I dip into short stories - not my usual genre. This was excellent. Russo has a straightforward style of writing that is a pleasure to read and stays with you for a few days . . .
Joel
Richard Russon is one of my favorite authors. This collection of short stories is so well written, often surprising in its simplicity and great and focused themes.
Marian Szczepanski
My only quibble with this collection is that it's too short. So looking forward to Elsewhere, Russo's full-length memoir forthcoming this fall!
Aaron
Interesting short story that prompts you to think. Reminds me of The Sportswriter by Richard Ford.
Barb
Three short stories and one longer one; loved them all.
Sally
4 short novellas by Russo-really good and a quick read.
Ali Bottorff
I just read The Whore's Child. It was amazing.
Susan
Ideal post-Thanksgiving reading material.
Marilyn
Loved the stories and loved the packaging!
Eileen
Not one of his best....
Jon Hurd
Russo is always good.
J R

3 1/2 stars
Tcsamuelson
Tcsamuelson marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
  • Understories
  • George Mills
  • I Knew You'd Be Lovely
  • Everything Is Going to Be OK
  • Dead Aim (Hap and Leonard, #10)
  • Fellow Mortals
  • Ghosts of Tom Joad: A Story of the #99 Percent
  • News from Heaven: The Bakerton Stories
  • The Artist's Handbook
  • Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes
Richard Russo (born July 15, 1949) is a Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist. Born in Johnstown, New York, and raised in nearby Gloversville, he earned a B.A. (1967), a M.F.A. (1980), and a Ph.D. (1979) from the University of Arizona.

More about Richard Russo...
Empire Falls Straight Man Bridge of Sighs Nobody's Fool That Old Cape Magic