The Debt Bomb: A Bold Plan to Stop Washington from Bankrupting America

The Debt Bomb: A Bold Plan to Stop Washington from Bankrupting America

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In a nation whose debt has outgrown the size of its entire economy, the greatest threat comes not from any foreign force but from Washington politicians who refuse to relinquish the intoxicating power to borrow and spend. Senator Tom Coburn reveals the fascinating, maddening story of how we got to this point of fiscal crisis--and how we can escape.

Long before America's rec...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2012)

A People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisAmerica (The Book) by Jon Stewart1776 by David McCulloughAssassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell
The Daily Show Reading Club
142nd out of 313 books — 167 voters
I Am Malala by Malala YousafzaiIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingThe Reason I Jump by Naoki HigashidaLean In by Sheryl SandbergThe Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver
Books Rec'd By The Daily Show
194th out of 279 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
Normally, I try to stay away from books by sitting politicians as they usually are just full of self-righteous proclamations. The one exception has been Ron Paul and now Tom Coburn, Senator of Oklahoma and his book. Dr. Coburn is exceptionally in tune with the problems we face today. He is non-partisan and holds nothing back. He is critical of his own party as well as the other(s). Dr. Coburn explains in horrifying detail the complacency of his fellow senators and congressmen while he served in...more
Megan Jones
This book is so great. Okay, so it does lag a bit at times...with all those numbers, lists, plans and the like. But Coburn very clearly describes the issues our country is facing and comes up with solutions. He's merciless in his critiques....but I learned so much and all of it detailed and supported.

If you're interested in the future of our country and the issues (financial and political) we face then read this book. I walked away shocked at the level of political corruption (yet somehow not su...more
Rohan
I actually got fooled into reading this book seeing the 4 and over ratings on Goodreads without realizing that there were only 80 of them. But strangely I do not completely regret reading this book as much as I thought I would, especially, because it is written by an active politician. I only picked up the book in the first place just to know the extent of debt that US actually owes and to some extent, this book did give me a better picture of that topic.

Anyways, Tom Coburn mainly targets Caree...more
Malin Friess
Dr. Tom Coburn as far as I know is the only senator that is also a physician (Ran and Ron Paul are Congressmen) and his views in The Debt Bomb are worthy of attention. He is an admirable guy who has delivered over 2000 babies, and also gave back his extra cash per diem that he did not spend on his first trip as a Senator buy writing a check back to the Federal Reserve.

It may be a fair assesment that Republicans have no plan for the 2012 election except: The economy is bad, Obama didn't fix it,...more
Melanie
Aside from a few of the graphs in this book being indecipherable to me, it was really a surprisingly readable work. The American people need more sentinels in the Congress like Tom Coburn in order to effect budgetary change.

Chapter after chapter, Coburn shows how the government has overstepped its original bounds and how our current crop of career politicians (on both sides of the aisle) has no interest in reining in spending because it can hurt their changes of re-election. There's a huge cultu...more
Paul
Senator Coburn takes it to both Republicans and Democrats in describing the economic mess that has been created by "careerists" in Washington whose votes are based on winning the next election rather than defusing "The Debt Bomb". Coburn clearly defines the dysfunction in Washington today and identifies both problem and potential solution to the same economic calamity awaiting the U.S. that has destroyed other "powerful" nations. That being, excessive debt.

It is not a stretch to understand that...more
Ray
Oct 07, 2012 Ray rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: citizens of voting age
Oklahoma Senator Dr. Tom Coburn does an excellent job in explaining the dangers to our Country due to our huge National Debt. In a surprisingly non-partisan way, Senator Coburn takes on career politicians from either Party as being a big part of the national problem. If you wonder why Congress has such a dismal approval rating, you'll find plenty of reasons after reading "The Debt Bomb".
For readers, there's an appeal to those on either side of the political spectrum. People left of center in th...more
Jen
I don't know what is scarier, watching Saw 3 or reading this book. I have less hope that the debt bomb will be diffused after reading this book and understanding the inner workings of congress.
Mark Hackl
This book is disturbing to say the least. I commend Dr. Coburn's effort in writing this book. He paints a grim picture of the countries future, and it is frustrating to know that the worst case scenario is likely to unfold. This book should be read by every citizen of this country. We've got to begin to act like grownups and accept responsibility for our problems, and take the actions necessary to solve them.
Mickael
This book is a textbook example of using logical fallacies to propagate the ridiculous ideas that the tea party and radical Republicans cling to. He also tries to make the argument that he's better than everyone else because he's not a "careerist" politician. What a joke. This is the guy who's spent 20 years receiving income from tax payers but thinks he's somehow not a careerist politician.
David
While I'm way more of a Libertarian-leaning independent than a Republican, I am super-proud that a guy like Tom Coburn, who infuriates those on both sides of the aisle, is one of my senators. This book is just another great reminder of how deep of a hole we are digging in America today, and that we need to get with the program now to get our fiscal house in order before it is too late.
Jeffrey
Great book about what is wrong with America, both politically and economically. Provides common sense solutions to help fix our debt problems and avoid the complete collapse of our economy and ensure the long term viability of a social safety net. This book reminded me why I consider myself a fiscal conservative, and I made me wish more of our politicians were like Coburn.
Carol
It will be interesting to hear what my American friends think of this book. Dr. Coburn makes some very interesting claims regarding the way our congressional members function. I think his thoughts merit some attention. If what he says about both parties is close to true, we need to take notice and make some changes.
Valerie
This book was written by Senator Tom Coburn, a conservative Senator from Oklahoma. He describes the real environment in Washington and the problems with the careerism among the Congress. It was disheartening and left me shaking my head over what is the solution. It was well written and very interesting.
Kip Williams
Oct 02, 2012 Kip Williams is currently reading it
So far, Sen. Coburn takes no prisoners, laying the blame equally where it belongs, on both his own party and on the opposition. He does, so far, give some good insight into the completely out-of-touch atmosphere in Washington and how this type of thing occurs.
Marcus Lynn
Finally a politician who understands the real problems in the USA. Why didn't he run for President? Though he's certainly a conservative Republican, he's not beholden to a party and I think many of his ideas will resonate with all Americans.
Jeff
Jun 26, 2013 Jeff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: open minded folks who'd like to solve the debt problem
Shelves: nonfiction
I usually enjoy reading Senator Coburn's views even though I often disagree. He does not pull punches especially when it comes to this country's future. At this point, the books probably a bit outdated.
Kathleen
Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn doesn't follow party lines in exposing our national economic crisis, the causes, and common sense solutions.
Karla Blanton
Every taxpayer in America needs to read this book. Great job, Tom. Keep up the good work!
Dale
Excellent look at the issues America faces and refuses to acknowledge.
Stan
Senator Coburn is right. At some point we're going to have to pay the piper.
Kirk
If only more of our elected officials thought like Coburn. Good stuff.
Bryan Chasko
If only he'd practice what he preaches...
Ken Guenther
Ken Guenther is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Cherri
Cherri marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Tom A. Coburn, M.D. was elected to the U.S. Senate on November 2, 2004. Dr. Coburn and his wife, Carolyn, a graduate of Oklahoma State University and former Miss Oklahoma, were married in 1968 and have three children and five grandchildren. They are members of First Baptist Muskogee.

Prior to his election to the Senate, Dr. Coburn represented Oklahoma's Second Congressional District in the House of...more
More about Tom A. Coburn...
Breach of Trust: How Washington Turns Outsiders Into Insiders