Start by marking “Cleave (Cutting Cords #3)” as Want to Read:
Cleave (Cutting Cords #3)

Cleave (Cutting Cords #3)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  118 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Sequel to Vessel On New Year's Eve, Cole Fujiwara stands vigil at his father's deathbed while his surrogate wife, Noriko, gives birth to twins. As Cole contemplates his future, he acknowledges that he's living his father's dream... and that he's probably destroyed his chance at happiness with Sloan, the love of his life. Finding harmony in an emerging D/s relationship has ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 230 pages
Published May 11th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published May 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cleave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cleave

T.A. Webb
May 16, 2012 T.A. Webb rated it did not like it
I will have to review this after I cool off. The relationship between Trent and Sloan is not a D/s relationship at all, and I have major issues with the way it was portrayed. The use of erotic knife play with a cutter (a mental illness) was nauseating. The D/s relationship was corrupted into a Master/slave relationship without proper consent. And Cole was thrown under the bus.

So angry. Disappointed. Betrayed.
Cat
Jun 16, 2012 Cat rated it liked it
same review as v1-2

The cutting cords series is a good example of how you can fall in love with someone but how, over time, if the people involved want different things out of life and desire a different future, things can easily fall apart.

The series did a really good job of not trying to squeeze in too much too fast. Sloan and Cole meet in book 1 at a time in both their lives where things are out of their control and outside expectations are slowly destroying them. Through their relationship th
Darkm
Jun 25, 2012 Darkm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, bdsm, favorites
When I finished the second book in this series I wasn't exactly happy.
The two main characters had deluded me, especially Cole, and I didn't see how this could get better.

I was wrong, this book is just right.

(view spoiler)
Don Bradshaw
A great romance with a strong D/s undercurrent. Sloan and Trent finally have it all. I should feel sorry for Cole but I can't.
Jason Bradley
Jun 15, 2012 Jason Bradley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, ebook, bdsm
Everything I expected and more! So perfect!
Secretobcession
Jun 16, 2012 Secretobcession rated it it was amazing
Angst lovers take heart...there's plenty to go around in this book for sure.

It's not very often that I bother to write a review on a book I've recently read. Usually a book has to make a pretty deep impression on me, before I feel the need to share my experience. "Cleave" by Mickie B. Ashling is such a book.

I sooooo enjoyed books 1 & 2 in the "Cutting Cords" series, so it was a no brainer that I would be buying & reading the 3rd and final installment into the lives of Cole & Sloan.
Connie
Jul 06, 2012 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, bdsm, romance, arc-galley
When I saw Cleave on NetGalley, I was not aware that it was part of trilogy.
I was interested in the BDSM side of the story, and even though I havent read the first two books it was easy to pick up where the story was coming from.
I found Sloan very interesting, and Trent working on the mysterious side.
The Edge play/knife play well plotted and developed. I am not an expert on the subject but considering Sloans past I think the author did a great job working around his state of mind and getting him
Jackie Mckenzie
May 13, 2012 Jackie Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Well gosh I don't know where to begin. I hate when people give spoilers in a review, especially when a book is this new. So I will try to keep too many details out of this. Now let me say I wasn't a fan of either Trent or Cole. Noriko was someone I just wanted to punch in the mouth!!!When the story started it just hit the ground running. I could feel Sloan's heart being pulled in different directions and I knew almost from the start where it would end up. The ride was sooooo worth it. Now, I sai ...more
Tina
Jul 10, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
Just finished reading the book. I fell in love with Sloan and Trent and their special relationship. Finally I even understood Cole and his twisted emotions. Will he find a new love with Bryce? And what about Tin and Max? I would love to read more...
Moniqee
May 26, 2012 Moniqee rated it liked it
I am disappointed. It sort of tie the loose ends of the second but wasn't the way I expect it.
piranha
Apr 26, 2014 piranha rated it did not like it
Dear Mickie B Ashling.

I have in the past enjoyed your writing, which is often challenging (in a good way). I appreciate that you want to write complex character studies, and that that can become quite painful for your characters (and therefore for me, the reader, as well); I accept that. I do not appreciate that you now completely fuck with this genre while torturing your characters. Genre fiction has certain rules, some of which can be bent and twisted to surprise the reader, some of which are
Barb Manning
Jul 07, 2012 Barb Manning rated it really liked it
Cleave by Mickie B. Ashling is the third book in the Cutting Cords trilogy. In this installment Sloan Driscoll and Trent Hamilton reach some real understanding regarding their Dom/sub relationship, while Cole Fujiwara and the surrogate mother of his twins, Noriko come to a new stage in their relationship.

Cleave is a very appropriate title for this book, since the word can mean both severing and clinging. I loved this particular book in the trilogy. Cleave ties together some of the loose threads
Andrea
Jun 12, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Cleave is the third book in the Cutting Cords series. The previous books explored the long-term relationship between Cole and Sloan. When they met they were both deeply troubled men. Sloan was dealing with low self-esteem and fighting the urge to cut himself and Cole was coming to terms with going blind. Their story has been a mixture of happiness and heartbreak. They broke up when Cole decided it was time for him to have children without bothering to consult Sloan first. Sloan was reluctant to ...more
MariDAcanto
May 16, 2012 MariDAcanto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before anything, I want to make something very clear: I truly, absolutely, adored the book - the writing was, as always with Mickie, beautiful, and the did make perfect sense as an ending to Sloan's saga.

However, (view spoiler)
Maggie Simms
2.5 to 3 stars

Warning, spoilers ahead...

This is probably more of a rant than a review. I REALLY enjoyed reading 'Cutting Cords'. When I found out there was a sequel, I was all about it since I was wanted to read more about Cole and Sloan and their HEA. That was a mistake. After reading the three books, I wished I would have stopped after the first one.

In books 2 and 3, the author does a total character assassination of Cole. He goes from being Sloan's love of his life (granted, the guy had hang
Lidia
May 11, 2012 Lidia rated it it was amazing
noooo, it's already over, that's what I thought when I looked through the last page.
As for the previous two books, Cleave gives me strong and conflicting feelings and emotions. You can write bad words in the reviews? because to Cole, I would say a lot, but maybe I can forgive him as Sloan (you just do not think about what I did!). Trent, wow, was already a strong character but in this book was superb, sympathetic, supportive, balanced and truly loves and respects Sloan, who is a wonderful perso
Sharon Cox
May 13, 2012 Sharon Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished reading Cleave by Mickie B. Ashling and all I can say is WOW! I fell in love with the damaged Sloan in Cutting Cords , watched him develop in Vessel but to see him emerge at the end of Cleave is brilliant. He has become so strong and I feel that now he could take on the world and win.
I love the relationship between Sloan and Trent and I feel that it was only Trent who could bring Sloan to his full potential.
I would love at some time to read more about Trent and find out whe
May 13, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
What I loved about this book is where most books fail for me...the first person that you fall in love isn't necessarily the only person you will ever fall in love with. Relationships end and you have to move on and build new relationships.
ObsidianCub
Oct 23, 2012 ObsidianCub rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, read-2012, m-m, bdsm, kindle
Loved this trilogy and although I wanted to strangle certain characters at various times I think that only shows how involved I got in their lives.
Nichole (Dirrty H)
May 24, 2016 Nichole (Dirrty H) rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2012, kindle-lendable
I liked this one. Nowhere near as awkward and herky-jerky as Vessel. It really pulled the whole thing together in a satisfying way.
Marsha Spence
Feb 21, 2015 Marsha Spence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm-dd, contemporary
WONDERFUL! Sloan's HEA!! That's all I wanted and I was completely happy with this book. Thank you!!
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

4.5 Stars

The surrogate wife is due to give birth and Cole should be over the moon as he finally get wants he wants after giving up so much but he is not in a happy place. His father is dying and he is feeling confused and resentful. Sloan is still not responding the way he expects him to and seems to be happy in a new relationship with Trent.

Trent and Sloan are working out the parameters of their new D/s relationship and everything is rosy and right until Sloan me
Adara
May 20, 2012 Adara rated it really liked it
So, this didn't go where I thought it might. I'm still digesting and not sure how much I like or dislike that just yet. I'll do my best to rate it for what it is and not where I thought it was going. And the rest of this is going in spoiler tags.

(view spoiler)
Beckey
Oct 11, 2012 Beckey rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Cutting Cord Series and is a book with M/M relations with BDSM elements.
The word cleave has two synonym meanings, one is embrace and the second is cutting which seems to be a good description for this book.
Sloan & Trent have been in a relationship together for the last nine months. Trent hasn't said a declaration of love for Sloan. Trent has indirectly told him that he want commitment between them in the way of a collaring.
Cole and Sloan share a history togeth
Pixie
Pixie marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
A
A marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
  • Ty's Obsession (Whispering Pines Ranch, #3)
  • Fortune Hunter (Brook Street, #2)
  • Artistic Pursuits(Art Series, #3)
  • Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • Gilliflowers (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #4)
  • Mastering the Ride
  • Stained Glass
  • The Rise of Alec Caldwell: Volume One (The Rise of Alec Caldwell, #1)
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • Heart's Home
  • Pet Rescue
  • Happily Ever After (Russian Bear, #4)
  • Deliver Us (Deliver Us, #1)
  • Consent (Power Exchange, #3)
  • So Much More Than Naked 1
  • Double Black (Black Gold #2)
  • The Condor (Condor #1)
Mickie B. Ashling is the pseudonym of a multifaceted woman who is a product of her upbringing in multiple cultures, having lived in Japan, the Philippines, Spain, and the Middle East. Fluent in three languages, she’s a citizen of the world and an interesting mixture of East and West. A little bit of this and a lot of that have brought a unique touch to her literary voice she could never learn from ...more
More about Mickie B. Ashling...

Cutting Cords (4 books)
  • Cutting Cords (Cutting Cords, #1)
  • Vessel (Cutting Cords #2)
  • Cutting Out (Cutting Cords #4)