Start by marking “Lucinda's Whirlwind” as Want to Read:
Lucinda's Whirlwind

Lucinda's Whirlwind

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Lucinda Ellis has never really mastered the knack for dealing with people. Not that she is shy. On the contrary, she has no qualms telling others exactly what she thinks of them. So she usually avoids undue human contact. Until her sister, Jayne, decides to take a sudden trip to America.

With Jayne's husband, Brian, stranded in a remote Aboriginal community, Lucinda is forc
Published May 1st 2012 by PanMacmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about Lucinda's Whirlwind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucinda's Whirlwind

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Lucinda's Whirlwind is a character driven novel that explores the themes of change, self discovery, grief, relationships and family. This is the second novel for Australian author, Louise Limerick, who was named the SMH Best Young novelist after the publication of her debut, Dying For Cake (published in the US as Friends & Mothers).

Though told in the third person, most of the story unfolds from the alternate perspectives of Lucinda, Jayne and Brian, which is essential to understand the perso
Stephanie
This review originally appeared at www.readinasinglesitting.com.

Ah, here I am once again feeling a touch embittered about the fact that I've been misled entirely by a book's cover. I know, I know, don't judge a book and all that, but honestly, if we weren't supposed to do so, then we wouldn't have covers, would we?

I've had Lucinda's Whirlwind sitting in my to-read pile for a while now, largely because literary fiction is what I gravitate towards when I'm desperate for a bookish palate cleanser,
Lauren Murphy
Lucinda’s Whirlwind is an quick, easy women’s fiction read about family, relationships and taking risks by Australian author Louise Limerick.

Following the death of their mother, sisters Jayne and Lucinda have coped very differently. And everyone is surprised when Jayne jumps on a plane to America without advising her husband Brian or her two children, Madison (8yrs), David (14yrs) and their couch-surfing pseudo foster child, Wesley. Lucinda is NOT happy about taking leave from work to care for J
Pauline
This rather wonderful and unassuming book seems to me a contemporary retelling of the Wizard of Oz, complete with tin man, or in this case, woman, called Lucinda, and a forty year old Dorothy from Brisbane.
The book has the understated, masterful style I usually associate with British novels like Major Pettigrew s Last Stand, or Alexander McCall Smith, able to make the reader care deeply about the fates of ordinary people.
The subtle symbolism gives the story something extra though that those bo
Rachael McDiarmid

I received an advanced reading copy of this book for a program I am running at work, I finally picked it up after realising the book had published and was available in the bookshops! It was my call to action and I pretty much read the book in a couple of sittings. It was an easy read, not taxing on the brain, with characters I didn't mind and situations I couldn't help but either smirk at or be genuinely moved by. From the crazy, fun dog to the emo who has been rejected by his own family, to the
Vicki
Enjoyable light hearted read. Interesting characters and great to read something set in Queensland.
Michelle
Halfway through it so far....what is the go with the editing....is annoying me greatly that the family dog Wilma is half the time referred to as a sausage dog, and half the time referred to as a Dalmatian! Am thinking is not as good as Louise's first book....disappointed so far, but will push on....
Chandrika
I loved Lucinda's character, a nice portrayal of someone on the Asperger's or Autism spectrum but high functioning. It felt actually very believable in many ways, including the multi-generational quest for meaning. Really high quality chick lit.
Jenny Davies
Jenny Davies marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Isabel Mansfield
Isabel Mansfield marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Rachelle
Rachelle marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012