A Pocket Style Manual

A Pocket Style Manual

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Adopted at over 1300 schools across the country in more than 20 different academic disciplines, A Pocket Style Manual is a straight-forward, inexpensive quick-reference to the new essentials of writing and research. The new edition is an even more useful reference-with more on research and documentation and helpful disicipline-focused advice on writing.
Paperback
Published December 31st 1997 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 1993)

Mandy
NEED TO OWN FOR ALL STUDENTS!! Used for both Eng101 and ENG102. Very helpful. Very detailed.
Additional resource linked from Diana Hackers web-site: http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/pocke...=
Mel
I bought this book, not with the intention to sit with it and read it from cover to cover one time. No, I bought this book because it was recommended to me by one of my English professors and she was spot on.

This book is great as a reference guide. It includes how to apply the styling guidelines by the three most know style entities: APA, MLA and Chicago; plus also shows CSE (which I must admit I just found out about it). In addition, the first part of the book is dedicated to how use grammar p...more
Leslie
WISH I'd had this toward the end of high school and the beginning of college. I won't use another grammar/punctuation/style/research/citing guide again, especially when it's HALF the price of the original textbook. This efficiently replaces the combination of reference books I've used when teaching - including Strunk & White. I should have had this YEARS ago, but now will suffice.
Kendra
This is precisely the reference book I wanted and needed when I was an undergraduate student. It covers everything--grammar, mechanics, research aids, all the major style guides, and several handy indices--and is totally pocket-size, if you have deep pockets. I love that this book is offered in a spiral-bound form, too. Diana Hacker and Nancy Sommers stick to the basics, but they cover a lot of ground and even this college graduate and adjunct professor has been able to learn something useful wh...more
Kelly  Maybedog
This is a really, really good little manual, especially concerning its size. I've read a lot of short ones that are filled with too much prose to make them useful, or that don't have the examples or specifics I need. There's only been one thing so far, a specific example of a rule, that I looked up and couldn't find, and I wasn't able to find it anywhere online, either. Only the good ol' Chicago Manual of Style helped me out and since I have a hard copy of that, too, I'm good to go. (I like havi...more
Martha
Ah, I've spent a lot of quality time with this little book. It is our assigned text for our info lit classes. I have to say that it is pretty darned handy, with basic information about citation styles and sound wisdom about conducting library research for just $10.

Oh, yeah, and Barbara Fister has been the person revising it in recent editions :)
Tom
Oct 08, 2007 Tom rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
This is an indispensable tool. If you write papers, essays, reviews, etc., this is the book for you. It has concise entries on style, citations (MLA, Chicago, APA), and more. A handy backpack staple. The larger full style manual is also excellent as a desk reference.
James Richmond
I enjoyed how this book helped with my studies not only for my career, but also as a scholar. I recommend this to anyone who's looking to up their writing skills, or wishes to take more intensive writing courses.
What can I say? I'm not reading my book club's book this month because I am reading this book and others preparing each week for a Basic Writing Refresher workplace workshop I am teaching this month.
Janet Mitchell
Oct 27, 2007 Janet Mitchell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has to write
I am constantly using this book in my classroom. If you have grammar questions, APA issues, or MLA issues then you should use this book. Diane Hacker also has a website, if you just need a quick reference.
Erika  Forth
This has been a very helpful resource when I quickly needed to look up a certain usage rule. It was particularly helpful in doing papers in styles I don't normally work with, like APA or Chicago.
Lafcadio
Aug 19, 2007 Lafcadio rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Donna
Pocket reference - if you have big pockets. Clarity, grammar, punctuation and mechanics, research, documentation, and usage/grammatical terms.
Matt
This would be useful if I had to follow some academic style guide. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with such silliness any more.
Christopher Young
The single best resource for correctly citing anything in any format that I was able to find in four years of college.
Jessica
Diana Hacker is one of the experts on style. I prefer her larger edition, but this one works well too.
Benjamin Plume
Not as complete as "Little Brown" but more portable. MLA cowers in fear of you when you're armed with this.
Rajiv
For those of you native speakers who write English as a second language, Hacker is the book for you.
William
This is an incredibly helpful little book. It's small and it's explanations are concise.
untogether
Research and Documentation in the Electronic Age by Diana Hacker (2005)
Danielle
Not the best grammar guide ever. But its very portable, which is a plus.
Alicia Hess
Very helpful when I was writing my Masters Seminar paper.
Molly
Guess what I'm teaching in the fall and spring? Comp!
Jeffrey
Good for toting around campus. Compact.
Lauren
Great for all things MLA.
  • Writer's Inc
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations
  • Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching (Cambridge Language Teaching Library)
  • Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • How Languages Are Learned
  • An Introduction to Language
  • Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama, Ninth Edition
  • Fiction Writer's Workshop
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques For Dramatic Storytelling
  • A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation
  • Creating Unforgettable Characters
  • Making Shapely Fiction
  • Plot
  • A Handbook of Critical Approaches to Literature
  • They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update Rules for Writers The Bedford Handbook A Canadian Writer's Reference A Writer's Reference with Writing about Literature