Start by marking “Playing Havoc” as Want to Read:
Playing Havoc

Playing Havoc

BANG! Lights out! Just how would we cope in an event where every electronic device on our planet was rendered useless in an instant? If all electric power, industry, basic utilities, transport and the very communications that we all take for granted were zapped in a single moment, how would life carry on? What skills do we possess to cope with and help us rebuild life from ...more
Published July 26th 2012 by Pneuma Springs Publishing (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Playing Havoc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing Havoc

Richard
Autographed gift copy kindly provided by GR author and good friend Steve Morris.

Giles is a man with anger issues. With a short fuse, a recently ended marriage and a frustrating job, he will do anything to get away from it all. So he moves to the Island, where he can deal with fewer people and frustrations and spend the weekends alone with his cat and his favourite video game. Then there is a strange event; whether it be an act of God, a stroke of fate, or a weird natural occurrence, no one is q
Nicolle
May 03, 2012 Nicolle rated it really liked it
This book is Steve Morris' first published novel and I have to say, what a great start! This novel not plot driven, but revolves around the relationships people make and the ways in which people try to survive in a solar flare. The main protagonist is Giles who is a fun if not slightly angry character who takes in the situation in his stride and helps himself and other through.

Throughout the book there are moans and groans about particular people and parts in todays society including lazy teens
Marc Johnson
Mar 17, 2013 Marc Johnson rated it it was amazing
Playing Havoc is the debut full-length novel from short-story writer Steve Morris. I was impressed with his short-story collections, "In all Probability" and "Jumble Tales," and I was curious how well he would make the transition to writing a novel.

In short, Playing Havoc is a very well written and engaging story.

While I was reading Playing Havoc, I was reminded of the old Twilight Zone episode, "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street." The notion of cutting off the conveniences of modern societ
I.C. Camilleri
Aug 26, 2012 I.C. Camilleri rated it it was amazing
A very stimulating read indeed. Playing havoc is one of those books that nourish your thoughts, gripping you from start to finish. It is a black-comedy sci-fi story. It deals with the social (or anti social lives) of residents of a UK island after a massive solar flare fries every electronic device on Earth. Imagine surviving in these modern days without our precious gadgets and commodities. I found the plot to be highly original, and the characters well presented.
Playing havoc is definitely so
Sunshines2008
May 04, 2012 Sunshines2008 rated it it was amazing
It is very attractive book. Once you open the book, you can't stop reading it as fast as you can . Want to find out the ending of this novel. The contents are very sophisticating, describe portrayal of each character is subtile. Once people lack water supply, no electricity, what happened to them under this circumstances. What would you do? It is worth for readers to have a deep thinking afterwards. Highly recommended !
Paddy O'callaghan
Sep 16, 2012 Paddy O'callaghan rated it it was amazing

It's great to see that Morris can do just as good a job on novels as he does on short stories. So what would it be like after the solar flare - read this and find out. Thank god I discovered him, life without Morris' books would now seem pointless. Crack on and write another one maestro.
Mechele
Jul 30, 2012 Mechele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mecheles-reviews
Very Good so far...
Read my review at readforyourfuture.blogspot.com :)
Max Mad
Aug 19, 2012 Max Mad rated it it was amazing
Review to follow
Denise Stephenson
May 22, 2014 Denise Stephenson rated it really liked it
The premise of Playing Havoc is brilliant: What happens in individuals' lives following a solar flare? The setting on a small island in Britain allows for the characters' slowly dawning realizations about what has happened and what it will mean.

As readers, we are inside of the narrator's head. The positive aspect of this is that though we come to quickly realize the cause behind the failure of all electric devices, we learn how slowly it would unfold without broadcast news. The negative aspect,
Cassandra
Jul 28, 2012 Cassandra rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Bryony Allen
Aug 29, 2012 Bryony Allen rated it really liked it
A really entertaining read and one that really makes you think about the way we live and what we'd do without all our luxuries and technology! :)
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2012
Helene
Helene rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2012
Sherri Bare
Sherri Bare rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Csimplot
Csimplot rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Wesley
Wesley rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Shelly
Shelly rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012
Steve Morris
May 01, 2012 Steve Morris marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Blue
Blue marked it as to-read
May 29, 2012
Peau
Peau added it
Jun 03, 2012
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Shahrun
Shahrun marked it as to-read
David Ketelsen
David Ketelsen marked it as to-read
Jennifer beck
Jennifer beck marked it as to-read
Sylvie
Sylvie marked it as to-read
Anja
Anja marked it as to-read
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Anabela Costa
Anabela Costa marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
Amanda Chalifoux
Amanda Chalifoux marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
Jodie
Jodie marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2012
Melissa ownsbey
Melissa ownsbey marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2012
Jyoti
Jyoti marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2012
Keith Wright
Keith Wright marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Butterflyshines
Butterflyshines marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2012
Kitty Honeycutt
Kitty Honeycutt marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2012
Diantha
Diantha marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2012
Rosa.cruz7
Rosa.cruz7 marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2012
Ralph
Ralph marked it as to-read
Saisha
Saisha marked it as to-read
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Rose Cimarron
Rose Cimarron marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2012
Scott Allen
Scott Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2012
SuperHeroQwimm
SuperHeroQwimm marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2012
Niraj Bhatt
Niraj Bhatt marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2012
Q&A with Steve Mo...: In the library 24 6 Mar 26, 2013 11:30PM
Q&A with Steve Mo...: Video Trailer 1 7 Apr 23, 2012 02:53PM
  • Prismatic (Harmony Run #1)
  • Behind the Rake's Wicked Wager
  • Bone Machine
  • Paperboy
  • On Guard for Thee (War and Strife in 1812)
  • The Great Hollywood Double Hustle
  • The Gift of Stoppage Time
  • The Last Best Hope: A Civil War Era Alternate History
  • Wild Land
  • The Lightness of Dust (The Meronymy #1)
  • The Ultimate Inferior Beings
  • The Infinite Battle
  • The Light and the Dark
  • Reassigned (Codename Fairy Godmother, #1)
  • Blue Into The Rip (Into The Rip #1)
  • Our Lady of the Absolute
  • Dayclean
  • Swarm (Book #1)
Steve Morris

With a background in math and science, Steve Morris travels around his region of the UK teaching students who are too ill to get to school.
Despite his chosen vocation, one of Steve's passions in life is his love of English literature and of antiquarian books.

Maverick, individual and never afraid to speak his mind, Steve was taught to read fluently by his parents whe
More about Steve Morris...