Gospel and Kingdom

Gospel and Kingdom (Goldsworthy Trilogy #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Paperback, 2012 Edition, 152 pages
Published 2012 by Paternoster (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Gospel and Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gospel and Kingdom

Scott
Another gift thanks to Matt Pitts.

'Gospel & Kingdom' is one of the best introductions to Biblical Theology that I have ever seen, even with it's absolutely repulsive book cover.

Goldsworthy doesn't use overly complicated language and writes to lay Christians to help them understand the purpose of the OT for Christians. He manages to skim across the general narrative of the OT in under a hundred pages and then focuses on how various OT passages point to the coming Christ.

There wasn't anythin...more
David Sarkies
Jul 18, 2012 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who want a better understanding of the Old Testament
Recommended to David by: My Church
Shelves: christian
Well, it seems as if I am the only person on Goodreads that has given this book less than four, though I do notice that a couple of people have given it a three. I do expect to get some nasty comments to my commentary here, however I assure you that I have no intention of getting into an argument with anybody over my position on Christianity. First of all, at this stage of my life I am loathe to call myself an evangelical, particularly since to me evangelical seems to suggest arrogance, stubbor...more
Vaclav
"The New Testament is in the Old concealed, the Old Testament is in the New revealed." (St. Augustine)These are good thoughts to keep in mind when we interpret the Holy Scriptures. We need the Holy Spirit to reveal to us the truth of the "Gospel & Kingdom" in the whole Bible, but we also must keep in mind that New Testament is not against the Old Testament, but that one explains the other. And so we need both for the full understanding of the Word of God.
Brian The Furnace Man
I almost gave this book 5 stars because of the authors really cool name. I thought that may be a little unfair though.

Excellent study on how the old testament relates to the new testament. I guess a better way to put it would be how the old testament points to and is fulfilled in the new testament. The idea that the new covenant some how replaces the old covenant is absurd. To imply that God made a mistake and needed a do over does not fit into the context and true meaning of the bible as a who...more
Noel Adams
This is quite possibly the BEST book I have read this year. Goldsworthy gently but deftly defends his thesis that today's typical evangelical reads the Old Testament badly. I think it's a sign of a good book when I've underlined and starred nearly the entire text. This is the best survey of the Old Testament that I am aware of. And it's now official 'required reading' for my children. After all, the Bible is a sword...and if you're gonna swing that thang around, you should have proper weapons tr...more
Mark A Powell
In summary fashion, Goldsworthy lays out the full scope of the Biblical narrative, particularly emphasizing the covenants that God makes with His people at various stages of history. Written in a time when biblical theology had been long ignored, Goldsworthy’s book called for a return to tracing the threads of God’s tapestry throughout all Scripture. Since then, better and more comprehensive books have done so, but this stands the test of time as a solid introduction.
Shane Saxon
Solid primer on reading the Old Testament.
Tom
Goldsworthy sets out to prove that 20th century (and 21st cwntury0 evangelicals have 'experienced a radical loss of direction in handling the Old Testament... By reverting to either allegorical interpretation on the one hand or prophetic literalism on the other, .. thrown away the hermeneutic gains of the Reformers in favor of a mediaeval approach to the Bible."

This book serves to correct those losses. A great read; heartily recommended!
Matthew Robbins
Very interesting introduction to Goldsworthy's biblical theology and overview of the big picture of the Old Testament. It provides some great motivation for reading the OT and doing so while thinking of it as Christian scripture. I'm reading Goldsworthy's new book on Christ-Centered Biblical Theology next, and I'm very excited to do so based on Gospel and Kingdom.
Eli
Graham Goldsworthy's book is an excellent survey of the Old Testament, with plenty of important clarifying insights. That is until the last two chapters! He almost completely changes his tune and revokes everything he had previously said. Were it not for his conclusion I would have wholeheartedly given this book the highest recommend.
Joseph
Goldsworthy covers a lot of ground in 100 pages and change. This book is a solid introduction to biblical theology and has some good tips on how to read and interpret the old testament.

He does a great job in introducting big-picture biblical themes in an understandable, and brief manner.
Jeff Mixon
this book is excellent in giving an overview in regards to the story line of the Bible. A must read for those teaching at any level in the local church.
Bill
Before starting I was broadly aware of Biblical Theology, but reading this book has been a major reorganisation of my view of the whole Bible, plus some fresh and helpful perspectives on some old issues.
Matt Mason
Solid guide to understanding the story of redemption as it unfolds in the Old Testament. Goldsworthy is great at helping the reader see how the OT revelation points to Christ.
Jamie
The Kingdom of God: God's people in God's place under God's rule. The already/not yet of the Kingdom of God and the FINISHED work of Christ.
Noel Burke
I felt the end really brought things together for me. This brought a good understanding of the Kingdom, the Gospel, and Christ.
Jonathan
Great book, very clear and simple yet helpful for understanding biblical theology and the scriptures.
Jw
How to read the Old Testament 101. An easy to read and helpful little book.
Lucas Bradburn
Excellent, brief overview of biblical theology. Highly recommended!
Franklin
Franklin marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Joanne Chin
Joanne Chin marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Kalli
Kalli added it
Aug 15, 2014
Peter Johnson
Peter Johnson is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Barry Felker
Barry Felker marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Graeme Goldsworthy is an Australian Anglican and Old Testament scholar. Now retired, Goldsworthy was formerly lecturer in Old Testament, biblical theology and hermeneutics at Moore Theological College in Sydney, Australia. He is the author of According to Plan (IVP, 1991) and Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture (Eerdmans, 2000). Goldsworthy has an MA from Cambridge University and a Th...more
More about Graeme Goldsworthy...
According to Plan Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture: The Application of Biblical Theology to Expository Preaching The Goldsworthy Trilogy: Gospel & Kingdom, Wisdom & Revelation Gospel-Centered Hermeneutics: Foundations and Principles of Evangelical Biblical Interpretation Christ-Centered Biblical Theology