Start by marking “In the Presence of Spirits” as Want to Read:
In the Presence of Spirits

In the Presence of Spirits

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Traumatized by vicious poltergeist attacks that lasted five years, Barbara Parks never imagined that her deep-rooted fear of ghosts would disappear. A momentous turning point occurs when, still mourning the sudden death of a beloved friend, she receives a miraculous visit from him. This joyous experience marks her first step toward healing--and opening up to spirit world.

I
Published September 8th 2012 by Llewellyn Publications

To ask other readers questions about In the Presence of Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Presence of Spirits

Emma Sea
Ugh, the writing in this is flat and dull. Not even bad enough to be entertaining. Just . . . bad.

The blurb reads, "Traumatized by vicious poltergeist attacks . . ." but the writing never communicates any sense of trauma or viciousness. It's like reading a description of someone doing the grocery shopping.

1.5 stars.
Cari
Sep 29, 2014 Cari rated it liked it
In the Presence of Spirits by Barbara Parks is a firsthand account of the author's experiences as a clairvoyant and her journey in becoming more comfortable with seeing the presence of the dead. If you're not a person who believes in the paranormal, particularly in ghosts/spirits, I would say that you will definitely not like this book. If you're expecting a sensationalistic ghost story or a book befitting of the horror genre, you will be disappointed. It's written in a simplistic, straightforw ...more
Lane
Aug 29, 2012 Lane rated it it was amazing
A gripping story, this book had me hooked from page one!
Barbara takes her reader on a journey detailing her real life encounters with the paranormal world, through the course of her childhood fears to her eventual acceptance and understanding of her extraordinary gifts. Wonderfully written by a talented author, this is a book NOT to be missed!
Majanka
Jun 08, 2015 Majanka rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-haunting
Book Review originally posted here: http://www.iheartreading.net/reviews/...

In The Presence of Spirits was an enjoyable read about the paranormal in daily life. The author, Barbara Parks, has been confronted with spirits ever since she was a little girl. The house she grew up in was haunted by both friendly and angry spirits. She spent most of her youth trying to get over the traumas related to her house, and only grew to accept her paranormal gift when she became older.

I wasn’t always sure if t
Melody
Mar 23, 2013 Melody rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Wish I had her abilities.
Amanda Herschausen
Mar 23, 2013 Amanda Herschausen rated it really liked it
Great read,lovely author
Leila Summers
Sep 18, 2012 Leila Summers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
This book was not as scary as I expected to it to be and even though I had made sure to read it during daylight hours, I found that I kept on reading well into the night without any fear :) The paranormal has always fascinated me, for many reasons including the comfort it provides for those of us who have lost a loved one, but it also has the ability to give me the real creeps!

Barbara explains her understanding of the differences between ghosts and spirits right at the beginning of the book, and
Molly
Nov 01, 2014 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-fire
I'm going through my Kindle, reading all the haunting-esque books in preparation for the season, but also because I am doing a wide-net research on a manuscript. The writing here is flat, the chapters organized like one of my former high school students may have done--very much so in chunks with clumsy transitions. However, the content has some interest.
Nancy Thormann
Aug 26, 2014 Nancy Thormann rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I believe in ghosts and spirits, so this was not new to me. It's well written and doesn't force you to believe or not believe in ghosts / spirits. It just explains the author's own experiences.
Debra Robinson
Apr 14, 2013 Debra Robinson rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book-as a fellow sufferer of a poltergeist/haunted house for three years, I can totally relate!

Barbara Parks tells a well written story about her experiences during the poltergeist years, as well as ongoing experiences for years after.

Having the gift of seeing spirits and being able to discern them in many places also tends to draw them to her, as I myself believe. This is a good book on paranormal experiences.

Debra Robinson
A Haunted Life The True Ghost Story of a Reluctant Psychic by Debra Robinson
Vicki Scullion
May 26, 2013 Vicki Scullion rated it it was ok
I read about half of this book before I realized it was a work of non-fiction. The stories that Mrs. Parks tells of her early years as a frightened clairvoyant were interesting; later stories tended to be the typical stories written about in many books concerning purported clairvoyant experiences. Admittedly, I'm a hard sell when it comes to believing in anything I can't see, but I did enjoy the insights into what a life of seeing spirits might be like.
Shawna Kosakowski
Apr 11, 2013 Shawna Kosakowski rated it really liked it
Really challenged some of my long-held suppositions about "ghosts" but corresponds with beliefs a local clairvoyant holds. Helped explain some of my own personal experiences better than I could! Interesting read.
Mary
Apr 21, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok
A somewhat interesting exploration of spirit communication. She lost me towards the end when she started going off on tangents about people she knew who knew someone who had a paranormal experience, etc.
Caz Parsons
Dec 21, 2015 Caz Parsons rated it it was amazing
I LOVE BARBARA PARKS.

I picked up a book of hers by off chance at the library I have read all three now. Great writer. And I love paranormal so its perfect :)
Caz
Jun 10, 2015 Caz rated it it was amazing
I LOVE BARBARA PARKS.

Melissa
Apr 21, 2013 Melissa rated it it was ok
I am still a skeptic and have a difficult time believing that the author encountered so many people that were also clairvoyant.
Elisabeth
Oct 24, 2013 Elisabeth rated it it was ok
The subject was pretty interesting, but the writing was dull. This would have made a much better tv special on lifetime.
Fi
M
M rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2016
Anna Mason
Anna Mason rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Eduardo Delgado
Eduardo Delgado rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Laura Walinsky
Laura Walinsky rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
PaPaw Sam
PaPaw Sam marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Christine Hatfield
Christine Hatfield marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Oct 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Barbara Parks is a microbiologist and podiatrist; working in her own private practice for the last twenty years. Her paranormal experiences have often been at odds with her scientific background and it has been a circuitous journey towards the acceptance of her abilities.

Barbara's clairvoyance showed itself early in life and constitutes some of her earliest memories. She recalls countless faces w
More about Barbara Parks...