Start by marking “Fabric” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

*Semi-finalist in the Goodreads Choice Awards 2012: Best Poetry.

"From "Spandex" to the Greek kafeneion, there are unexpected juxtapositions and discoveries to be found in Jessica Bell's poetry Fabric. This voice is equally inspired by the quotidian, Greek jargon words, and the mythic figures of Echo and Narcissus, Aphrodite, and, of course, Euterpe, the muse of music and t
Published April 25th 2012 by Vine Leaves Press (first published April 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fabric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fabric

Apr 17, 2012 Magdalena rated it it was amazing
In Julia Kristeva's New Maladies of the Soul, a question is posed about the relationship between the body and the mind; biology and representation. Kristeva suggests that it is in the play between an essentially female politic, emotional/physical pain, physical desire, and perception, where new meaning is created. This is the landscape of Jessica Bell's Fabric, a forthcoming collection of poetry. The book explores multiple identities and perspectives, some soft and maternal, and others harsh and ...more
Talli Roland
Apr 21, 2012 Talli Roland rated it it was amazing
After reading Jessica Bell's first book of poetry, Twisted Velvet Chains, I was looking forward to delving into more of her powerful, lyrical poems. I certainly wasn't disappointed.

The interior of Fabric is beautifully formatted and arranged, luring the reader in as soon as you open the cover. Drawing heavily on Greek terminology and mythology, Bell's poems are an assault to the senses. This is writing that you cannot be neutral about. Bell demands a response and, in my opinion, demands to be r
Judy Croome
Sep 26, 2013 Judy Croome rated it really liked it
An interesting poetic style, strong and intense, making some of the poems dark-edged. Imaginatively set out and worth a second read, especially after the author's notes and glossary at the end. The concept of our imperfections being part of the fabric of our lives added clarity to some of more esoteric poems. As someone who did evolutionary astrology charts for many years before turning to writing, the discussion on the numerological significance of the number 7 was fascinating, as was the struc ...more
Glynis Smy
Apr 22, 2012 Glynis Smy rated it it was amazing
I enjoy poetry that rolls around my tongue, allowing me to savour, devour and dine on words pulling me into a banquet of prose. Fabric didn't do that for me.

I felt it!

I felt the rough edges of sack cloth disappointment, the starched cotton of indifference, the smooth satin of sensuality, and the gossamer of love. All these feelings Jessica Bell drew from me with her unique style. She quite literally gave me a new view of poetry.

Imperfection is the binding of Fabric. It portrays every human trai
Amie McCracken
Jun 07, 2012 Amie McCracken rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Jessica Bell's new poetry collection, Fabric, is full of life. It reads like little stories in the lilt and cadence of her tone and voice with raw emotions ranging from anguish to giddyness to satire.

I am not a poetry reader, I really wish I were and that I had the ability to put words like that onto paper. I would love to let my inner self flow like that. But even though it's not my thing, I couldn't put Jessica's book down. I thought I would spend a few days, savoring a poem here or there. But
May 20, 2012 Len rated it it was amazing
Very vivid, lyrical, well-woven words to describe scenes, feelings and emotions. I always get engrossed reading Jessica's poems..I get lost in her world, that I don't stop. Her first poetry book, Twisted Velvet Chains does the same to me each time I open it on my Kindle. Yes, I still read it, over and over.

Jessica's poetry always inspires. This one in particular is very engaging. Each page gets into different points in people's lives, making it so different from any other poetry books I've read
Sep 10, 2012 Katrina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-win
Good reads win: This was such a a well put together and lovely work of poetry. It's a first for me to be reading this author's work and I just have to say I became a fan. The poems are for the most part pretty dark and very personal. I have to say this will be one of my books that I will reread from time to time.
Leigh Moore
Nov 15, 2012 Leigh Moore rated it it was amazing

Fabric reads like a series of snapshots of important scenes from different lives. Sometimes they're right when the thing happens, other times they're reflections. And then some are little stories told from a glance, like side-view images.

It's extremely accessible, so don't think, "Oh. Poetry." (Trust me on this.)

My favorites are the ones that look back on a situation the speaker misunderstood, like in the poem "Mustard," where the speaker's nemesis is not what she seems. POWERFUL.

I tend
Amy Saia
Jun 06, 2012 Amy Saia rated it it was amazing
In an appealing format with Greek text sprinkled throughout, Fabric is a beautiful new poetry collection from prolific musician and author, Jessica Bell.

I've always been jealous of poets. And more than that, those with such a lyrical ability to capture life on page in the same simplicity that I might take a breath. I'm jealous of people like Jessica Bell. In Fabric, page after page, she transcribes her life down to the simplest detail with an eye of grace. Each poem averages the length of one p
Richard Hartwell
Jun 24, 2013 Richard Hartwell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who appreciates good, accessible poetry.
This collection is not to be casually read. Yes, it IS accessible poetry. No, these poems are NOT for the superficial reader. Guideposts are provided. There is context to be found in both the selection and order of the pieces. The four sections build from the individual, to a pairing, to the collective, and finally to the others; from the I of logos, through multiple views of pathos, to the beliefs and ideals that bind us all, the ethos. I don't mean to sound philosophic, but there are multiple ...more
Laurie Clayton
Nov 16, 2012 Laurie Clayton rated it it was amazing
This is the second of Jessica Bell's poetic compelations that I have had the pleasure to read.

As with 'Twisted Velvet Chains', Ms Bell's 'Fabric' commands your attention with her thought provoking and often knife edged observations and imagery.

'Fabric' draws upon Greek mythology, language and to some extent the country's political landscape. It is powerfully written and if I had to choose just one poem to highlight, it has to be 'Not Who I Thought You Were'.

Don't worry if you're not up on your G
Oct 29, 2012 Jim rated it liked it
Jessica Bell's second collection of poems takes a look at life from a peculiarly Greek perspective. Broken into four sections--me, you, us and them (each section containing seven poems prefixed by seven haiku)--she unravels the fabric of modern life. There are hermits, crazies, murderers, abusers, failed parents, needy people, Nazis, sick people, the suicidal, the depressed--as well as the odd, sweet grandchild. On her blog Jessica writes "if you read Fabric, you're not reading poetry, you're re ...more
Stephen Parrish
Fabric is a collection of poems that for the most part are dark and intensely personal, and that speak at times to what I perceived to be an interminable and haunting pain. They rely heavily on metaphor and allegory, venturing deeply enough into the abstract to invite a comparison to pure music. Like music, they demand more than one reading to be appreciated.

The collection is rich in Greek culture, with all references and allusions explained in an appendix---which I enjoyed all by itself.
Medeia Sharif
Jun 01, 2012 Medeia Sharif rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
While I read Jessica Bell’s FABRIC I was constantly amazed by her juxtaposition of words. Her word choice and style are beautiful and haunting. I found myself rereading the poems, and I’ll probably read this book at another time to dive back into Bell’s lyricism.
Cat Lavoie
May 28, 2012 Cat Lavoie rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this collection! It only took a few lines for me to become engrossed in the world Jessica Bell has created in Fabric and I know for a fact I'll be reading it more than once.
Matthew Macnish
Nov 15, 2012 Matthew Macnish rated it it was amazing
Fearless, visceral, vivid, and gorgeous, Fabric is an emotional blockbuster. Jessica's poems make a reader truly feel, and will you draw you into their depths like a beautiful lover.
Clarissa Draper
Jun 05, 2012 Clarissa Draper rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Although I'm not a poetry reader, there were some really unique poems.
Apr 20, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved and devoured this poetry collection.
Mar 13, 2015 Lynne rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Very intense and imaginative poetry by Jessica Bell. Though some parts are a bit hard to follow, it certainly deserves a second and third read.
Charles Johnson
Mar 08, 2013 Charles Johnson rated it it was amazing
If you like modern poetry you will love this book. I did. This book was Nominated for Goodreads best poetry book 2012.
Charles Johnson Author of
Love Poems and More From the Heart and Soul of Man
Hey, Everyone! Please check out my latest interview with Australian poet Jessica Bell as we discuss her second collection of poetry Fabric (Vine Leaves Press, 2011). Read it now on my TTQ Blog. http://thetorontoquarterly.blogspot.c...
Jeremiah Walton
Feb 04, 2013 Jeremiah Walton rated it really liked it
Shelves: wonderful, beautiful
With intriguing lines and a beautiful vocabulary, Fabric is a worthwhile read.
Foysol Ahmed
Foysol Ahmed marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Ashley Roach
Ashley Roach marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Scott Bailey
Scott Bailey marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Zoe marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Suki marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Tanzila marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Virtual Writers: My Poetry book is a Goodreads Choice Awards Nominee! 15 16 Nov 20, 2012 08:13AM
  • This Can't Be Life
  • The Crater Mountain Sasquatch Legend
  • Thunderbird
  • Teller of Tales
  • Selected Poems
If Jessica Bell could choose only one creative mentor, she'd give the role to Euterpe, the Greek muse of music and lyrics. This is not only because she currently resides in Athens, Greece, but because of her life as a 30-something Australian-native contemporary fiction author, award-winning poet and singer/songwriter/guitarist, whose literary inspiration often stems from songs she's written.

More about Jessica Bell...

I drop my wedding ring