Start by marking “Daughters of Jared” as Want to Read:
Daughters of Jared

Daughters of Jared

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  58 reviews
From the Book of Ether comes a haunting story of two royal sisters. The elder sister, Ash, will do anything to bring her father, King Jared II, back to the throne. The younger sister, Naiva, only wants to save her family from destruction. The bond of sisterhood becomes precariously fragile when one man . . . named Akish . . . falls in love with the younger sister, Naiva. Y...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Covenant Communications Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Daughters of Jared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughters of Jared

Edenbrooke by Julianne DonaldsonBlackmoore by Julianne DonaldsonSeeking Persephone by Sarah M. EdenThe List by Melanie JacobsonDrops of Gold by Sarah M. Eden
LDS Romance
106th out of 262 books — 149 voters
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
312th out of 455 books — 404 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea
Heather Moore has an exceptional talent for writing an interesting story that makes me want to pull out my scriptures and re-read the real thing. I really appreciate any historical fiction that makes me want to go to the history books (scriptural or otherwise) for more information.

This was shorter than her other novels, but the length was good. I liked the characters, even though Naiva's selflessness after what she'd been through was hard to imagine.

Levi's love seemed to come out of no where (th...more
Nashellej
Daughters of Jared is a thrilling tale of a young woman caught in a web of evil spun by her sister. The story follows the journey of these two sisters - both searching for something different. One for glory and power, the other for peace and faith.

Naiva, the younger sister, adores her elder sister Asherah. But when Asherah's plots to gain their father their throne lead her down a path to attempted murder, Naiva soon realizes that she needs to protect herself from her sister's wiles - as well as...more
Stan Crowe
I try to be careful about throwing around 5-star ratings; often, I find they're just so much hyperbole. Typically, 2-4 star ratings are more useful in helping me evaluate a book in advance. That said, I think this book earned its rating. My wife absolutely loved this book as well. She took it from me, shortly after I got home, and didn't put it down until she finished reading it later that night.

Daughters of Jared conveys a message of hope despite despair. That resonated with me, especially with...more
Raejean
This book was more of a romance than I expected. The story is captivating and had me referring back to the book of Ether several times.
Tanya
Two things stood out in this novel, besides the fact that it was well written.

First, the author certainly knows Meso-American culture and history. Having read a couple of her other works set in the same general area and time, I wasn’t surprised, but I must say that her research here really shines. Her descriptions of dwellings, clothing, makeup, food, and rituals easily transported me into the world and story scripturally described by Moroni in the the book of Ether in the Book of Mormon. Some m...more
Lexie
Daughters of Jared is another gripping and dramatic Book of Mormon tale from the extremely talented Heather Moore. In this novel, characters from the book of Ether are brought to life, including King Jared, Akish, Omer, and Asherah. Naiva, though completely fictional, was placed in this historical setting to convey the story from her point of view.

As the story unfolded, I was very impressed by the complex relationships between the characters. I found it interesting that Naiva was attracted to Ak...more
Julie
Daughters of Jared is a tightly woven Book of Mormon historical that honestly kept me in my comfy chair long after I should have been up making dinner and doing some other Mom-like things. (I know it's just after Mother's day and I probably shouldn't admit that.) But I just had to see how it all ended!

We are introduced to our heroine, Naiva, the long-suffering second daughter of ousted King Jared. She is level-headed and doesn't have much ambition when it comes to being a royal queen or getting...more
Laurie
DAUGHTERS OF JARED

By H. B. Moore

H. B. Moore’s decade-long immersion in Book of Mormon research and Meso-American culture has produced eight previous novels based on this beloved book of scripture. In Daughters of Jared, her ninth Book of Mormon-based novel and eleventh book overall, Moore fills her pen with that rich understanding and illustrates this world in vivid detail, deftly interweaving excellent storytelling into an historical account of deception and intrigue pulled from the Book of Eth...more
Shanda
After reading one of Heather’s books, I return to that section of the Book of Mormon and read those scriptures with a new perspective of what life might have been like for those people. I’ve always considered the daughter of Jared to be evil and that was pretty much it, yet Heather opened my mind to the possibility that she may have come to regret her actions.

Did she fear for her life after her husband murdered her father upon the throne? Perhaps she mourned as her husband became paranoid about...more
Taffy
May 31, 2012 Taffy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
First line:

"What have I done?" my sister asks me.

H.B. Moore has beautifully written another great Book of Mormon story. Inspired by the Book of Ether, the author takes us on a whirlwind ride of politics, deceit and love.

Naiva is the main character and we learn much from her point of view about the palace and royal intrigue. Her life is changed forever by a greedy king, a selfish princess and dark oaths as old as Cain himself.

Naiva is the second daughter, the one who gives everything to help the...more
I was given a copy of Daughters of Jared from the author to read and review. I am so grateful for this opportunity. Heather B Moore is one of my favorite authors because she is able to bring scripture stories to life. She causes me to want to open my scriptures and re-read the true story now that I feel I know the characters better. The desire to read scriptures is always a good thing! Of course, this is historical fiction and that is what makes it such a fun read.

Fun may not be the right word t...more
Lucy Mcconnell

As I read this book I was continually struck by the main character’s (Naiva) ability to be manipulated. Though, as the character grew older/wiser/aware, she still did what her older sister wanted. The difference was her motivation. She chose to stay in an emotionally abusive situation in order to try and ‘save’ those around her. As women so often do, she put off her own happiness for the greater good.

While part of me whished she had run off with the handsome, strong, knight-in-shining-armor, Lev...more
Julie Ford
This latest novel by H.B Moore has got to be one of her best so far. I don’t think I even took a breath during the first 100 pages. Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration and I most likely had to have, but only when the words started to blur and I reminded myself to do so. The tension between the heroine, Naiva, her sister, Asherah, and Akish was palatable throughout. Throw in the strong, mysterious and devoted Levi, and the emotional tension soared. The way in which Moore recounts this Book...more
Danyelle Ferguson
The first book I read by H.B. Moore was Abinadi, and I have been a huge fan ever since. I especially love that Daughters of Jared was about two sisters and their loyalty to each other despite the very different choices and paths they take. I've always overlooked the story of the daughters of Jared, not really thinking about them and the impact their lives had on a generations of people. But this book reminded me that each of us - no matter what our role is here on Earth - has a unique way of inf...more
Colleen
Even though this book is a work of Fiction, it has characters who are well known from the Book of Mormon. We have Asherah, who dances for Akish and she becomes his wife. Even though Akish has eyes for Ashera's younger sister Naiva, who's point of view this book is written. Naiva enjoys Akish's attentions at first, but when she hears of the plot to kill her Grandfather, and Akish is the one who will gladly do it, with the help of her sister and father's encouragement. Being trapped by devotion t...more
Rachelle
I love reading a good book that keeps me thinking about the characters long after the book is shut. Daughters of Jared by H.B. Moore (AKA Heather) is masterfully written. She pulled me into the pages of this ancient story and brought the scriptures to life.
Daughters of Jared is based on a story from The Book of Mormon, so it is historical fiction for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I would like to voice my opinion that any fan of historical fiction regardless of thei...more
Melissa
I seriously loved this book. The first half dozen chapters were so enthralling that I felt myself slipping into my "don't bother me, I'm reading" zone (my poor children may have been slightly neglected for an hour or so that afternoon). I loved (and hated where appropriate) the characters and I ended up right back in the scriptures to review the true, original story (any book that takes you back to the scriptures should get some bonus points if you ask me). Once I put he kids to bed for the even...more
Darci
Another great novel from HB Moore. I loved the intensity and quick pace of the story. At times my heart broke in two for Naiva and her unfailing dedication to family, especially her sister, which at times I have to admit drove me crazy. I wanted Naiva to just be selfish and take care of herself once or twice. Ashera makes me crazy but redeemed herslef in the end with her act of selflessness. Loved Levi and Lib...and Akish creepd me out from the beginning. All in all another great one!
Tamera Westhoff
Wow! I devoured this in just a few hours on a Sunday night. I absolutely love all of these books and the way they really make you want to read your scriptures to see what happens next! A great anyday read, but especially on Sunday! I love the way you see the differences between the sisters, the one that chose wrong and the one that chose family. That Akish sure was a creep. Yuck! I was very happy with the ending, even if I did want to see what happened next!
Jessica
I love Heather Moore's writing style. She makes scripture stories come to life. This book, about a woman in the scriptures was easy to love. There was great sorrow, and great happiness. It really showed the cycle of pain that follows making bad choices, and how easy it is to just continue making poor choices. Great book!
LuAnn
I had the opportunity to be a beta reader for this book and I loved it then like I loved it now. A slight departure from Moore's prophet series but gripping Book of Mormon fiction all the same. I was fascinated to consider the workings of these two women and how one would let her lust for power rule her heart.
Cheryl
I LOVED this book, like I have loved everything I have read by Heather. She does an amazing job with historical fiction. I am very picky about sticking to the facts that we know. She always does this. Her research is terrific and her story lines are very engaging.
Wendy
I marked this as "LDS fiction," but it really isn't--it's a book based on a few verses in the Book of Ether. Anyway, it's very well done. I love the whole story Moore created to get the characters to act the way they do. It's believable--and heartbreaking at times.
Tenille
Great Story. This is a historical fiction based on a story told in Ether in the Book of Mormon, Heather did a great job bringing it to life for this book!! Well written, Kept me guessing, and had the ending I was hoping for for Naiva.
Diane
This is a very good book - I don't see how the author can take a very few verses of scripture and turn them into a completely believable and spellbinding novel, but she did it extremely well. I didn't want to put the book down.
Becky
I once again enjoyed the writing of Moore. She does a great job of bring characters of the Book of Mormon to life. This was a good story about a young girl trying to find herself. I liked the love story part.
Idamae Wallace
I really enjoy books by Heather Moore. This was an interesting read. I rated it a 3 star simply because in the last few chapters everything was written in present tense..."I am sitting", "I turn my head..."
Karen
I read this basically in two sitting because it was so good! I love that this author makes me run back to the source to read the original story in a completely new light.
I liked this story quite a bit more than I expected to. I think she sacrificed entirely too much of herself, but she is not unique among literary heroines in that respect.
Ines
Loved this story! H.B. Moore's writing style is one of my favorite. I can always get lost in her story-telling.
  • Within the Dark Hills
  • Servant to a King
  • Reality Check
  • Captive Heart
  • Dangerous Favor
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Of Grace and Chocolate
  • My Loving Vigil Keeping
  • Cross My Heart
Heather B. Moore is a USA Today bestselling author, with ten historical thrillers written under the pen name H.B. Moore. Latest is Finding Sheba (will be re-released Feb 2015 through Thomas & Mercer). Under Heather B. Moore she writes romance and women’s fiction and inspirational non-fiction, latest is The Fortune Cafe. Her various author names can be confusing so her kids just call her Mom.

Vi...more
More about Heather B. Moore...
Abinadi (Book of Mormon, #1) Of Goodly Parents (Out of Jerusalem, #1) Alma (Book of Mormon, #2) Athena (The Newport Ladies Book Club) Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)