Start by marking “Keeping the Peace (Aspen Valley, #1)” as Want to Read:
Keeping the Peace (Aspen Valley, #1)

Keeping the Peace (Aspen Valley #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  43 reviews
London waitress, Pippa Taylor has no interest in horses or country-living. But when she inherits Peace Offering, a hopeless racehorse, she embarks on a career change in order to see her late uncle’s wish to run him in the Grand National come true.

But having talked her way into a job as racing secretary to champion National Hunt trainer, Jack Carmichael and moved to the Wes
Published April 10th 2012 by Hannah Hooton

To ask other readers questions about Keeping the Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping the Peace

Toni Ware
Really enjoyed this book. I got it as a freebie on Kindle. I may actually go back and pay money for it - it was that good. Your typical romance, with a long time before the sex starts. Which I didn't even notice! I love reading about a subject I know very little about - in this case Steeplechase racing in England. The language was very enjoyable. Colorful in an idiomatic way, especially the local slang. Now I want to book a trip to England to experience such racing in person.

Barbara
Very interesting detail showing the inside of the horse racing business. Gives a glimpse of the hard work that goes into caring for and training race horses, as well as how much work goes into promoting the business/sport itself. How many of us don't wonder "what if" I had chosen this path instead of that? How many have longed to "start over" doing something that we find an interest for later in life? This story gives us a glimpse of someone who had the opportunity to do just that. Mix in a litt ...more
Barbara
The book was awesome..and hard to put down. I enjoyed the story and loved the main character Pippa. Loved all the different parts of her life and events she got herself into. It was also interesting learning about the horse racing culture which I knew nothing about. I only have one complaint and why is it necessary that the author felt she had to use the "f" word. No other swearing in the book and it really wasn't necessary. Other than that, it was great, good story line, characters described we ...more
Serban Georgiana
Ce carte interesanta !
Este o premiera pentru mine,pentru ca pana acum nu am mai citit o carte despre curse de cai.
Mi-a placut atat de mult faptul ca mi-a fost pusa imaginatia la incercare!
A fost destul de dificil sa urmaresc(mintal)cursele de cai,dar totodata si palpitant.Am trait acele emotii de parca chiar a-si fi fost prezenta pe un hipodrom.
Sunt placut surprinsa,nu credeam ca este asa de palpitant.Cred ca o sa urmaresc cateva filmulete pe youtube cat de curand.
Nici poveste in sine nu este pr
T
I am a sucker for romance and horses, and this book has both packed in it. I really liked how the author built tension between her main characters right until the end. The book had the promise of a good one, but the end was not as well executed as the rest of the story. I cannot quite put my finger on what it was missing, but there it was. Despite a not-so-solid finishing, I would have given this book a 4 star had it not slipped the 'f' bomb so generously. That was a big turn off.
Sam
It was funny, there were beautiful horses and a sweet lovestory.
Pippa was so sweet, Jack was so loveable grumpy and Peace Offering is a champion!
Got it for my kindle for free, but paid for Hannah's second book which is hopefully as entertaining!
Natalie
from Retired Racehorse Blog's Sunday Book Reviews:

Keeping The Peace is the first of a series built around a National Hunt racing stable. I’m utterly in love with the main character. I’m just going to say it: this book could be called Bridget Jones Goes to the Races and it wouldn’t be far off the mark. Luckily, I love both Bridget Jones and racing, so this was a match made in heaven for me.

Sweet, lovely, and impressively creative with bad language when she’s pissed off, Pippa Taylor is going thr
Sue
Like horses? Like England? Like horse racing? Perfect book for you, then! This story captured my heart from the beginning and never let it go...loved it so much that I stayed up all night and next morning reading this one and the second one, too!!
Janet
This is not my normal genre. I am not into horses at all so I was a bit surprised myself that I started on this (free) ebook by Hannah Hooton. However, I do remember watching a tv series called 'Trainer' as a child and I think the idea of a handsome trainer appealed to me.

Pippa is a great main character. She is a waitress, lives in London and has a boyfriend called Ollie (...). She inherits 2 racehorses from her uncle and - after finding her uncles research on winning the Grand National - decide
Sue Parker
This was a good book! I was pleasantly surprised. Pippa inherited two racehorses and a broken down cottage in the country. Now she can't keep it all on just her waitress wages. So she decides to sell the horses and fix up the cottage. She ends up keeping one of the horses and going to work for Jack to help pay for his keep. Jack is not an easy man to work for and she has to prove to him that she can handle him and the job. She also has gotten back to her painting. She can't help but fall for Jac ...more
Brittney
Pippa, the London waitress turned (inherited) racehorse owner, was quickly one of my favorite protagonists! She's a cheery ray of sunshine who's not afraid to lay down a four letter word...when absolutely called for. Author Hannah Hooton created a character that I wanted to hang out with - Pippa (and her wonderfully naughty bestie Tash!) are my kind of girls.

As the story plays out, I found myself rooting for Pippa and her long-shot race horse, Peace Offering, to win the Grand National - a gritt
Karen Smith
Sweet and surprisingly good

Sweet and surprisingly good

I've read too much Dick Francis because I kept expecting this book to flow like one of Francis' mysteries and it didn't. The author throws in some funny open-liners and doesn't try to impress readers with her equestrian knowledge. Pippa could use a bit more courage, but she is a very believable character. Jack isn't so well drawn, but we get a nice sense of him. I do appreciate the way the attraction builds. This is not an insta-love romance;
Rebecca Fitts
I love this series. Different from I normally read, but I couldn't pit it down! Dialogue is fantastic and hilarious. :)
Janice
What a good book! There were several surprises that I never predicted. I really enjoyed reading this book!
Christine Meunier
The first book in the Aspen Valley series by Hannah Hooton introduces readers to London waitress Pippa Taylor. Pippa has no interest in horses, nor any knowledge of them, yet surprisingly she finds herself inheriting two racehorses from her uncle.

In spite of the horses not having impressive performance records, they do have an impressive trainer in the form of renowned hunts trainer, Jack Carmichael. Pippa’s first meeting with the fiery trainer, finds her determined to prove him wrong about thei
Megan
2 3/4: I was a little thrown by it being British. And her stupidity when she first started her new job. It was informative about the jump horse racing world. Interesting enough mystery. Surprising how long it took for the main sex scene, I kept thinking it would be sooner but it was an appropriate place in their relationships. Although we did see the main characters feelings grow some, the actual events that lead to the hate/love/hate/love were short. The rest seemed a little lengthy in comparis ...more
Heather andrews
Jack needed to show me some things before I fell in love with him, I did eventually, but it was Pippa who had my love through out the whole book. She's feisty, "well, since they don't, do you admit that I might have my uses? I might be a waitress, but I'm not stupid, Jack." She defends herself when Jack gets on her about something stupid, "it was a mistake, Jack." She lifted her hands in a helpless gesture. "I don't make mistakes on purpose." She gives as good as she gets, "fine." She took it an ...more
Nancy
Pretty good book!
Liz Wilkins
3.5 stars.

Now funnily enough, apart from the obvious exception of Jilly Cooper I don't usually read "horsey" books these days. This despite being a rider myself, who as a child used to indulge in quite a few childrens books with a horse theme - most sp
Kathy
I found this as a free download on Kindle and I really enjoyed the book. Good character development and well written. The author threw in some suspense, romance and humor and did it well. Pippa is a great main character and I loved Jack, even at his grumpiest! The supporting characters were also well-written. This was my first introduction to this author and I look forward to reading the 2nd book in this series.
Anna
This book could have easily been great. Too much horse race story could have been replaced by more pippa and jake story. I choose this book, because it was under humorous romantic, I wanted a funny book and at the same a good love story I didn't really find it to be a humorous book. I wish there was more Pippa and Jake!
Karen Vandenbosch
I really enjoyed this book, fast read, great setting, enough humor, romance and some mystery to keep it going. Characters were well developed and interesting, someone mentioned Bridget Jones goes racing and it is so true. Looking forward to reading more of these!
Krissie
Robin
Interesting

Interesting

I liked the storyline but felt that it dragged on a bit.
The racing tidbits were great and exciting kept me on the edge of my seat.
Naulayne Raiche Enders
Excellent story. The "language" at the beginning really wasn't necessary. I don't think it helped to develop the characters at all. However, it was easy to feel all the emotions of the characters.
Krys
Really enjoyed this book. It was funny and the story was great. The ending was disappointing though. It was too abrupt.
Gina
I loved the foreign and horse racing aspect of this story!
Bungluna
More like 3 1/2 stars.

I wish Goodreads allowed half stars. This book didn't quite make it to 4 stars for me because of slow start and a meandering story that took it's time to get going. But once it shifted gears, it was very engaging and entertaining.

I got it for free at Amazon and upon finishing it, went straight there and bought the next one in the series.
Teresa
4.75 - solid; good build up of romance
Victoria Newman
Is a great book to read forever
Goodreads Librari...: Please amend book cover 5 160 Aug 15, 2012 06:01PM
  • Lawless (Aspen, #2)
  • Jockeys and Jewels (Racetrack Romance, #3)
  • Taming Clay
  • Got a Hold on You
  • Behind Closed Doors (Sisters of Spirit, #2)
  • Bound to Love
  • In the Arms of Danger
  • Dead Again
  • Take A Deep Breath
  • Dirty Little Lies
  • Whispers
  • California Man (Salt Spring Island Friends Trilogy, #1)
  • The Naughty Never Die (Seduction series, #2)
  • Dance With A Gunfighter
  • If We Dare to Dream (Evans Family, #1)
  • No More Running
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Freed by You
Hannah Hooton burst onto the contemporary romance scene with the release of her debut novel, At Long Odds, in January 2012. This was followed by the multi-award winning, bestselling Aspen Valley series, so far consisting of the first three instalments, Keeping the Peace, Giving Chase, and Share and Share Alike.

The inspiration for these novels came while combining her wanderlust with her love of ho
More about Hannah Hooton...

Aspen Valley (2 books)
  • Giving Chase (Aspen Valley, #2)
Giving Chase (Aspen Valley, #2) At Long Odds (Caspian Chronicles, #1) Share and Share Alike (Aspen Valley, #3) Share and Share Alike (Aspen Valley, #3) Racing Romance Box Set: At Long Odds / Keeping the Peace / Giving Chase