Keeping the Peace (Aspen Valley, #1)

Keeping the Peace (Aspen Valley #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  35 reviews
London waitress, Pippa Taylor has no interest in horses or country-living. But when she inherits Peace Offering, a hopeless racehorse, she embarks on a career change in order to see her late uncle’s wish to run him in the Grand National come true.

But having talked her way into a job as racing secretary to champion National Hunt trainer, Jack Carmichael and moved to the Wes...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Hannah Hooton

To ask other readers questions about Keeping the Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping the Peace

Toni Ware
Really enjoyed this book. I got it as a freebie on Kindle. I may actually go back and pay money for it - it was that good. Your typical romance, with a long time before the sex starts. Which I didn't even notice! I love reading about a subject I know very little about - in this case Steeplechase racing in England. The language was very enjoyable. Colorful in an idiomatic way, especially the local slang. Now I want to book a trip to England to experience such racing in person.

Barbara
Very interesting detail showing the inside of the horse racing business. Gives a glimpse of the hard work that goes into caring for and training race horses, as well as how much work goes into promoting the business/sport itself. How many of us don't wonder "what if" I had chosen this path instead of that? How many have longed to "start over" doing something that we find an interest for later in life? This story gives us a glimpse of someone who had the opportunity to do just that. Mix in a litt...more
Barbara
The book was awesome..and hard to put down. I enjoyed the story and loved the main character Pippa. Loved all the different parts of her life and events she got herself into. It was also interesting learning about the horse racing culture which I knew nothing about. I only have one complaint and why is it necessary that the author felt she had to use the "f" word. No other swearing in the book and it really wasn't necessary. Other than that, it was great, good story line, characters described we...more
Tanzima
I am a sucker for romance and horses, and this book has both packed in it. I really liked how the author built tension between her main characters right until the end. The book had the promise of a good one, but the end was not as well executed as the rest of the story. I cannot quite put my finger on what it was missing, but there it was. Despite a not-so-solid finishing, I would have given this book a 4 star had it not slipped the 'f' bomb so generously. That was a big turn off.
Sam
It was funny, there were beautiful horses and a sweet lovestory.
Pippa was so sweet, Jack was so loveable grumpy and Peace Offering is a champion!
Got it for my kindle for free, but paid for Hannah's second book which is hopefully as entertaining!
Natalie
from Retired Racehorse Blog's Sunday Book Reviews:

Keeping The Peace is the first of a series built around a National Hunt racing stable. I’m utterly in love with the main character. I’m just going to say it: this book could be called Bridget Jones Goes to the Races and it wouldn’t be far off the mark. Luckily, I love both Bridget Jones and racing, so this was a match made in heaven for me.

Sweet, lovely, and impressively creative with bad language when she’s pissed off, Pippa Taylor is going thr...more
Brittney
Pippa, the London waitress turned (inherited) racehorse owner, was quickly one of my favorite protagonists! She's a cheery ray of sunshine who's not afraid to lay down a four letter word...when absolutely called for. Author Hannah Hooton created a character that I wanted to hang out with - Pippa (and her wonderfully naughty bestie Tash!) are my kind of girls.

As the story plays out, I found myself rooting for Pippa and her long-shot race horse, Peace Offering, to win the Grand National - a gritt...more
Karen Smith
Sweet and surprisingly good

Sweet and surprisingly good

I've read too much Dick Francis because I kept expecting this book to flow like one of Francis' mysteries and it didn't. The author throws in some funny open-liners and doesn't try to impress readers with her equestrian knowledge. Pippa could use a bit more courage, but she is a very believable character. Jack isn't so well drawn, but we get a nice sense of him. I do appreciate the way the attraction builds. This is not an insta-love romance;...more
Janice
What a good book! There were several surprises that I never predicted. I really enjoyed reading this book!
Heather andrews
Jack needed to show me some things before I fell in love with him, I did eventually, but it was Pippa who had my love through out the whole book. She's feisty, "well, since they don't, do you admit that I might have my uses? I might be a waitress, but I'm not stupid, Jack." She defends herself when Jack gets on her about something stupid, "it was a mistake, Jack." She lifted her hands in a helpless gesture. "I don't make mistakes on purpose." She gives as good as she gets, "fine." She took it an...more
Nancy
Pretty good book!
Liz Wilkins
3.5 stars.

Now funnily enough, apart from the obvious exception of Jilly Cooper I don't usually read "horsey" books these days. This despite being a rider myself, who as a child used to indulge in quite a few childrens books with a horse theme - most sp...more
Kathy
I found this as a free download on Kindle and I really enjoyed the book. Good character development and well written. The author threw in some suspense, romance and humor and did it well. Pippa is a great main character and I loved Jack, even at his grumpiest! The supporting characters were also well-written. This was my first introduction to this author and I look forward to reading the 2nd book in this series.
Anna
This book could have easily been great. Too much horse race story could have been replaced by more pippa and jake story. I choose this book, because it was under humorous romantic, I wanted a funny book and at the same a good love story I didn't really find it to be a humorous book. I wish there was more Pippa and Jake!
Krissie
Robin
Interesting

Interesting

I liked the storyline but felt that it dragged on a bit.
The racing tidbits were great and exciting kept me on the edge of my seat.
Naulayne Raiche Enders
Excellent story. The "language" at the beginning really wasn't necessary. I don't think it helped to develop the characters at all. However, it was easy to feel all the emotions of the characters.
Rebecca Fitts
I love this series. Different from I normally read, but I couldn't pit it down! Dialogue is fantastic and hilarious. :)
Krys
Really enjoyed this book. It was funny and the story was great. The ending was disappointing though. It was too abrupt.
Bungluna
More like 3 1/2 stars.

I wish Goodreads allowed half stars. This book didn't quite make it to 4 stars for me because of slow start and a meandering story that took it's time to get going. But once it shifted gears, it was very engaging and entertaining.

I got it for free at Amazon and upon finishing it, went straight there and bought the next one in the series.
Teresa
4.75 - solid; good build up of romance
Victoria Newman
Is a great book to read forever
Bluejay44
Enjoyable read. Loved the setting as I am a horse lover but not so familiar with the racing aspect. Like other readers I have marked it down because of the excessive use of the 'F' word. As none of the characters seemed prone to swearing a lot, this seemed unnecessary to the story line.
This is the 2nd book I have read by this author and had I read it first I might have been put off reading the other one, which would have been a pity.
Susan Wood
This book could have been a sweet story. There wee so many "F" bombs it was hard to concentrate on the story. It is too bad the author is not bright enough to have to resort to one word so much. All of the characters were an immoral and drunken lot. I was very disappointed that the story was ruined. There was a ton of grammatical errors. The book was free so I guess I got my money's worth...
Vicki Bishop
I loved this book ... if 4-1/2 stars was available I would give it! Pippa is just about the most likeable character in a book I have encountered recently. I like race horse related books which this was and it was believable. Strongly recommend!!
Tina
I think it says a lot that a free Kindle book is one of the better things I've read so far this year! This was a very enjoyable read. Light, fun, and just a nice break from some of the more serious books.
Kristen Caldwell
I am such a hopeless romantic, and this was such a sweet story, I loved it. The English countryside, the horses, a little intrigue and a love story to match the best of them. Worth the read.
Sumiko
Very enjoyable romance with horses!

Set in a British National Hunt (steeplechase) stable and following the story of a young woman who unexpectedly inherits a couple of horses.
Becky Pierce
This was a great story - didn't want to put the book down!
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Jun 04, 2012 Michelle [Helen Geek] marked it as to-read
Shelves: free, tbr-kindle
Free on Amazon 06/04/2012.
Goodreads Librari...: Please amend book cover 5 160 Aug 15, 2012 06:01PM
  • Lawless (Aspen, #2)
  • Unsafe Haven
  • Dead Again
  • Jockeys and Jewels (Racetrack Romance, #3)
  • Behind Closed Doors (Sisters of Spirit, #2)
  • After The Ashes
  • Coffee and Cockpits
  • Taming Clay
  • Fool Me Once
  • Freed by You
  • The Bad Ass Brigade
  • Sapphire Universe (The Universe Series, #1)
  • Sweet Water
  • Whispers
  • In the Arms of Danger
  • Stripped Defenseless
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Cowgirl Up!
Hannah Hooton burst onto the contemporary romance scene with the release of her debut novel, At Long Odds, in January 2012. This was followed by the multi-award winning, bestselling Aspen Valley series, so far consisting of the first three instalments, Keeping the Peace, Giving Chase, and Share and Share Alike.

The inspiration for these novels came while combining her wanderlust with her love of ho...more
More about Hannah Hooton...
At Long Odds (Caspian Chronicles, #1) Giving Chase (Aspen Valley, #2) Share and Share Alike Racing Romance Box Set: At Long Odds / Keeping the Peace / Giving Chase Share and Share Alike (Aspen Valley Book 3)