Start by marking “The Blackmail Club (Jack McCall Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Blackmail Club (Jack McCall Mystery, #2)

Read Excerpt

The Blackmail Club (Jack McCall Mystery #2)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  567 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Published February 15th 2012 by Telemachus Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Blackmail Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blackmail Club

Giacomo
Dec 14, 2012 Giacomo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr
Despite the great number of books published each year, I find it more and more difficult to discover new authors that I enjoy. I stumbled upon The Blackmail Club, by David Bishop, read the reviews, tried the sample and liked what I saw. I thought I’d give it a try.

The Blackmail Club is the kind of book that allowed me relax and fall into a good read. A few times I felt the characters were a little too familiar, as if I’d seen them before, but then Bishop would do something with them that set th
William Blackwell
I'm not normally a fan of mystery novels, but I must say after reading The Blackmail Club by David Bishop I might just become a convert. This is an extremely intelligent mystery in which the author's knowledge of police procedure and investigative techniques is abundantly clear. It is technically a very accurate story and a a gripping page turner from beginning to end. I literally couldn't put it down.

Writing Style: I like Bishop's style of prose. He gives just enough information and does not in
Terry Crawford Palardy
This review is from: The Blackmail Club, A Jack McCall Mystery (Paperback)
The Blackmail Club had a tough bill to fill: measuring up to the attribution of David Bishop, Author. The book succeeds in maintaining that Bishop reputation, by sharing well developed characters who have a past, revealed through quiet memories of the main character, Jack McCall. Jack, his perky, attractive and intelligent partner Nora team up with a congenial, jovial retired police officer, Max. This savvy trio follow lea
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
My first pleasure line was learning the origins of the expression blarney. I appreciate receiving lessons in word history. To this I should add the Irish brogue one of the characters used.
Author Bishop is really an expert at choosing his themes, and this one was worded perfectly in narration and dialogue. Let's include descriptions such as "…she had a body that made clothes come alive." Or "…with jowls drooping as if her mouth were serving quarters…"
I like to look for possible messages hidden be
S. E Nelson
Nov 15, 2012 S. E Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hope this becomes the first of McCall mysteries. I would like to read more about MI investigations. David Bishop is an expert writer who kept me engaged from beginning to end. Up until the end I could not guess who the blackmailer was. I was very surprised. The characters were distinct and realistic. I liked the main characters especially Jack and Max, but for some reason I did not warm up to the character of Nora, but that may have been the author's intention. The twist at the end involving R ...more
Russell Atkinson
Nov 16, 2015 Russell Atkinson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 13-year-old boys who like the word breasts
This is the first Jack McCall Mystery. Jack is retired CIA and now a private eye in Washington, D.C. with his partner Nora, an ex-cop. I got this on a free download and it was worth every penny. Do the math. The plot was preposterous, the characters one-dimensional (is it possible to have zero dimensions?), and the writing hackneyed. Bishop goes in for some character development though. Take Nora, for example. Here are some examples of his development of Nora:
"She reached inside her blouse to re
Mickey Hoffman
Sep 29, 2013 Mickey Hoffman rated it liked it
I liked some of the blackmailing plot lines, but I felt a bit let down at the end of this mystery because I never felt like I knew most of the characters enough to care either way. The author's preoccupation with females as objects of desire got old for me fast. He seemed more interested in the female lead's bra straps and cleavage than in developing her as a real person. The protagonist and his relationship with a victim is real enough and Jack is clever and interesting, if a bit too focused on ...more
Harold Kasselman
May 01, 2014 Harold Kasselman rated it liked it
Barely a 3 star
I'm very surprised at the 5 star reviews. To me this was far from a page turner. It really was a bit of a chore to finish and frankly I didn't care who the blackmailer was by that time. The plot was far fetched and the fear engendered by the PI Jack McCall was over the top. He acts as if he has full police powers and people surrender to his interrogations as if he were a generalissimo. Just didn't do anything for me.
And I agree with these lines from a fellow Goodreader's review:

Tom
May 26, 2016 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-3-star-reads
Nancy
Mar 22, 2013 Nancy added it

Washington, D.C., is a town full of powerful people hiding ugly secrets. The blackmailer, a renaissance man, keeps his promise: pay me, I'll return the juicy evidence I have against you, and you'll never hear from me again. Jack McCall, a former operative for the U.S. intelligence community and now a private investigator hunts this wily and diabolical madman. His victims, having paid and not been further extorted, are reticent to admit ever having been blackmailed. McCall's efforts to solve the
Lori McD
I got this as a free Kindle book, and I'm always a bit wary of free Kindle books. 60% of the time, you get what you pay for. In this case, I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't read the book before (esp. since it's over $12), so I just jumped into this one.

I like Jack McCall. He's not 20s or even 30s. He's late 40s. He's lived. He's been in Special Ops, Black Ops - you name it. He's done it all. He's savvy, connected, smart, and tough. He's hurting - he lost his wife, Rachel, just 4 mont
Quillracer
Sep 02, 2013 Quillracer rated it really liked it
I liked this book from page one, got caught up in the story and couldn’t wait to see what happened next. I liked the main characters – Jack McCall and Nora Burke – and the working relationship Bishop gave them. The intimate relationship seemed a little forced but maybe Bishop has plans to rectify that in future books.

Bishop turns some good phrases throughout the book. When they stepped out at the top, the deep-throated horn of a river barge hollered a message understood by others who spoke boat.
Martha
Mar 29, 2012 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5.0 out of 5 stars The Blackmail Club is a terrific gift, so soon after The Third Coincidence, March 19, 2012
By
Martha Paley Francescato "martísima" (Potomac, MD) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Blackmail Club, a Jack McCall Mystery (Kindle Edition)
The Blackmail Club is a terrific gift, so soon after The Third Coincidence!!! (You don't need to have read the first one, but I highly recommend it, and they make reference to it ;-) We get to know Ja
Carolyn Hughey
Aug 08, 2012 Carolyn Hughey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bishop does it again!!

Jack McCall, the former government agent turned PI is grieving the loss of his wife. After a two-month respite from his investigative work, he's back in the game when he learns his friend has died. The police are calling it a suicide, but Jack doesn't believe it for a minute, and he's out to prove them wrong.
During his investigation, Jack is beaten, shot and threatened to step away from the case. But this Jack doesn't scare easily. It only makes him work harder at finding t
Tom
May 25, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
This was my first Jack McCall story. David Bishop does an excellent job of describing the details of the PI world with characters that pull you into the story. He keeps you guessing down to the last few pages. Several times I thought I could predict the outcome and then the story would take another twist. I look forward to more of Jack McCall stories.
Jaime
Dec 04, 2014 Jaime rated it really liked it
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.

There's a blackmailer in the good ol' city of Washington D.C. where Jack McCall works as a P.I. The targets are wealthy people with some dark secrets. While Jack begins with a simple investigation into his friend's death, he becomes immersed in a tangled web of stacked blackmails. He slides along some crazy threads that connect the victims with his assistant, Nora, and friend Max.

Bishop has woven power into the scheme: political power, sexual power, personal po
Patricia Bergman
Apr 22, 2014 Patricia Bergman rated it really liked it
This was a well constructed mystery that features two private investigators hired by the widow of a suicide victim. As the story unravels, the suicide is revealed to be one of many blackmail targets. The book is filled with twists and turns and culminates with a surprise ending. Highly recommended!
Carol
Nov 07, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good plot and good writing

Very good detective story. I was positively impressed with several of the writer's characters but mostly with the convoluted plot and clues revealed for the reader's interest. I didn't like the aberrant sexual references but it was not too in your face. Once again homosexuality plays a lead role.
Debbie
Nov 01, 2015 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack McCall

I liked this story. It reads like a movie. Jack McCall is asked to look into the suicide of his friend, Chris Andujar. And that is just the beginning! A complex tale of blackmail, corruption and murder. Great characters and interesting plot!
Robert
Oct 30, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because it was free on bookbub. I started with low expectations and quickly was caught up in the writing and the story. David Bishop has a new fan. Jack McCall is a fun character to follow and I look forward to other adventures with him in the future.
chelepissbcglobal.net
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY FABULOUS.

Well an absolutely fantastic book. This book deserves not only five stars but twenty stars. This book was brilliantly written and kept me guessing and in suspense until it's mind blowing conclusion. This is a fabulous must read.
Liz Wood
Oct 30, 2015 Liz Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entrancing

Who would have guessed the ending? I was so busy tracking the story and following the characters that I didn't notice until I finished the hints that actually pointed the way to the final denouement. I very much enjoyed this book.
Cindy Claar
Not my kind of mystery

I was disappointed in this story. it has laborious descriptions of foods being eaten, room decorations and short on suspense and mystery. it slowed in pace and was just tough to keep reading. not my cup of tea.
Sheila F
Mar 26, 2014 Sheila F rated it it was ok
Good plotting, interesting characters (although too many of them): I would have given this another star if not for the awkward intrusion of contrived dialects. The stereotypical Irish brogue and the cliched bad-guy talk make this author seem less polished than his plot suggests he is.
Dwight Burgess
May 01, 2016 Dwight Burgess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super sleuths, suspense and surprises.

From the upper class to the under belly of D. C. Twists and turns, good and bad, all come together for an interesting story. Really enjoyed the book.
Liked it, but there were quite a few typos which were a bit distracting. (And no, I don't mean typos during characters' speech, but during the narrative when grammar & spelling should be correct.)
Haifa Hamdha
Nov 04, 2015 Haifa Hamdha rated it really liked it
This is my first book by David Bishop.. It was really a good mystery novel... Characters Nora,Jack and Max kept the readers fall for them. But the story was slow in moving the next step. Sometimes it was boring to read few chapters..
Ann
Nov 19, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The instant I started to read I knew I would like this book. I wasn't wrong. I enjoyed it all the way, with the many twists and turns it was as I had hoped. A great ending too.
Tulay Leonhardt
Who done it?

Good, fast moving suspense. Liked Jack McCall character and his partner Nora, hope to read more about them. Couldn't put it down, surprising ending.
william clark
Nov 12, 2015 william clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful

Great suspense. You think you know what has happened and Jack turns the corner to a new clue. Great book and fun to read
  • 28 Pages
  • The Riddles of Hillgate (Z & C Mysteries #1)
  • Bulldog (Dev Haskell Mysteries #9)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Full House  (Jake Samson, #3)
  • Secret of the Scroll (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, #1)
  • Sound of Blood
  • The Class Ceiling
  • Two Graves: A Kesle City Homicide Novel
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • The Pineville Heist
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • Hunter/Prey (Allie Krycek #1)
  • Robin Hood Hacker Collection
  • The Geneva Decision (Pia Sabel #1; Sabel Security Thriller #1)
  • Legwork
  • Reel to Real: The Video Store Murders
  • The Accidental Bachelor
I was born in Washington, D.C. From there my life likely mirrored that of a lot of my readers. We moved around. I got some education. Played some sports, and got some more education. Prior to becoming a novelist, I worked as a financial analyst determining the value of companies. But let's talk about my current and final career, writing mystery novels.

As a writer, I conjure up occurrences design
More about David Bishop...

Jack McCall Mystery (2 books)
  • The Third Coincidence (Jack McCall Mystery #1)

“When” 0 likes
“husband. It’s a reasonable place to start.” “I set it up for Tuesday. That’ll give you tonight to get settled at home and tomorrow” 0 likes