Start by marking “Tanequil (Il Druido Supremo di Shannara, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tanequil (Il Druido Supremo di Shannara, #2)

Tanequil (High Druid of Shannara #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,769 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Grianne Ohmsford ha sciolto l'alleanza con le forze del male e ricostruito il Consiglio dei Druidi, ma non tutti apprezzano quanto sta facendo per l'equilibrio dei poteri nelle Quattro Terre. Una congiura ordita da alcuni druidi di Paranor la colpisce infatti attraverso un maleficio che la proietta nel cupo mondo del Divieto, il mondo che gli Elfi chiamano nella loro lingu ...more
Paperback, Oscar Mondadori #1526, 350 pages
Published 2005 by Mondadori (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tanequil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tanequil

Markus
May 15, 2015 Markus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pen continues the journey to find the Tanequil in order to save his aunt, Grianne finally faces her greatest adversary yet inside the Forbidding, the century-long war on the Prekkendorran takes a drastic new turn as the Federation invents a secret superweapon to crush the Free-born, and the two most powerful Druids left in Paranor become lovers while each also plots to dispose of the other.

Forget Word & Void, Genesis, Legends, Heritage and Voyage. The High Druid of Shannara is the best serie
Lucinda
Jul 26, 2012 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry Brooks is a masterful writer who takes fantasy fiction to extreme heights, with his outstandingly unique creation of Shannara. Beginning with the series on Shannara where readers are introduced to the most original and inspired creation of a distinctive world, continued with the heritage of Shannara and the voyage of the Jerle of Shannara which takes you on an epic journey that is so exceptional. In the high druid of Shannara series following on from book 1 (Jarka Ruus), Tanequil takes you ...more
Ronda  Tutt
Mar 12, 2010 Ronda Tutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantacy
Another great read by Terry Brooks. I love the way he leaves you hanging at the end of the story so you will jump right into the next book. As soon as I finished this book, I jumped right into Straken, the third and final book in the High Druid Of Shannara trilogy.

The journey continues for Penderrin and along the way he even picks up more help to get him to the Tanequil. Kermadec and his fellow Trolls join the journey along with Cinnaminson.

Grianne Ohmsford finds herself captured and brought to
Mark
Aug 02, 2011 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanequil was hit and miss. I found myself very interested for a few chapters in a row, and then Brooks would change focus and the story lagged for another two chapters before picking up again.

Penderrin is developing well as a character, and most of the plots, especially Grianne's and the Federation/Free-Born War can easily hold their own. However, WHY didn't Brooks dedicate just a bit more time to the Tanequil? I was hoping for something more along the lines of the "Stone King" from The Druid o
Jon Borah
Jan 09, 2015 Jon Borah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

SUMMARY:
War threatens the Four Lands, and Shannara's only hope lies in Penderrin Ohmsford, but it's a dreadfully slim hope. To save his world, Pen must restore his aunt, the former Ilse Witch, to her rightful position as High Druid of Shannara. But first Pen must free his aunt Grianne from the Forbidding: the world of the demons. To have the slightest chance of freeing her, he must find the mystical tree called the Tanequil, and somehow craft a talisman from its wood. But Shadea a'Ru, the treach

Brian Schiebout
Apr 20, 2014 Brian Schiebout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanequil by Terry Brooks is the second book in the High Druid of Shannara series set in the Shannara universe. The story continues from where the previous book left off with Pen and his friends questing for the Tanequil while Grianne is stuck in the land of Jarka Ruus. The story is as most middle books in trilogies very dark as the opponents of the heroes continue to gather more power that will make them invulnerable if the quest that the heroes are on can not succeed. The story reintroduces the ...more
Squire
Jun 18, 2016 Squire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#22/29 in my Epic Shannara Quest.

Another thrilling chapter in the development of the Shannara saga. Exciting with some shamelessly cinematic scenquences that still manage to entertain. Nothing unexpected happens (the demon plot to subjugate the Four Lands was obvious halfway through the previous book in this trilogy), but the continuing dark tone of Tanequil maintains the tension throughout. Eerily beautiful climactic scene.
Alan Mills
Feb 23, 2014 Alan Mills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terry Brooks continues his Shannara series (this is the second of his most recent trilogy, following Jarka Ruus). Usual excellent mix of action, character, and magic.

What Brooks has really been doing all these years is disguising typical coming of age stories as fantasy novels. In each book, a teen starts the story with little understanding of who,they are, or where they fit in the world. They gradually discover that they have power (usually the use of magic--but that is just a metaphor for powe
Jeremiah Johnson
Apr 22, 2016 Jeremiah Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading the Shannara series of books, I longed for more stories about the original characters. Now, every story is split into trilogies of books, and I wish that they'd go back to single stories.

If this trilogy was compressed into a single book, it might be tolerable. As it is, there is so much filler that makes it very hard to care about anything. The war between the Federation and the Freeborn has been raging for decades, and now all of a sudden we are supposed to care abo
Katelyn
May 04, 2016 Katelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book High Druid of Shannara by Terry Brooks tells the story of Dark magic opened a gateway to the threatening and trapped within Grianne ohmsford, rightful High Druid of Shannara. Rescuing Grianne will be merely the beginning of the effort to restore the four lands to some semblance of peace. Overall, I thought the book was a pretty great book because it was kind of like the harry potter books with all of the magic and everything. The book had a lot of action going off and on throughout the ...more
Nigel
Feb 23, 2016 Nigel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent part of the Shannara series by Mr Brooks. The story continues with the former Ilse Witch still trapped in the forbidding and Pen and his little group still searching for the Tanequil to create the dark wand. Hard on their heals the druid air ships and the secret assassin sent after them.
Meanwhile the war still rages between the freeborn and southlanders a new weapon might change the balance. A combo theme of these novels and is that magic doesn't come without a price as Pen dis
Patrickderaaff
Duidelijk voorbeeld van het 'middelste deel van een trilogie'-syndroom.

Pen is nog altijd op de vlucht voor de druïden en kan nog steeds niet echt boeien als hoofdpersoon. Tagwen de druïde-dwerg levert geen enkele bijdrage aan de missie, behalve klagen dan. Khyber is wel interessant en Kermadec is okay als capabele leider van de Trollen. Ik heb zo mijn vermoedens over de motieven van Khyber.

Grianne wordt gevangen door een Straken Lord en via een magische halsband overheerst, niet echt een origi
Shaheen
Mar 17, 2013 Shaheen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book of the High Druid of Shannara series is arguably better than the first - Brooks manages to bring up the quality of the book by cutting down references to the previous series, The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, and giving some air time to the Elves - and ends in a cliff hanger that had me reaching for book three immediately.

The highlight of Tanequil is the character growth. Brooks has developed a trademark style of writing about teens who have no clue about their place in the world
Dark-Draco
Sep 06, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm probably beginning to sound repetitive about these books, but this was another fantastic novel in the series.

On his journey to save his Aunt, Pen has to gain a lot, and lose it, and begins to feel that he cannot succeed. As he and his comapnions try to outrun both the Druids and their mysterious, un-human like persuer, there only chance is to find the the Trolls, hidden deep in their hidden villages. But even there they are not safe. And his problems are only just beginning when he finds the
Aaron Carson
Terry Brooks relies a little too heavily on desparation, and a ridiculous amount of odds stacked against the heros and heroines, for my taste. The characters and settings he creates are interesting enough, and his writing ability is elaborate enough to make for an interesting read, but the protagonists are put under such a strain, that one begins to feel stressed reading his books. It's a little like watching American News. You're kept at a level of panic, just short of an aneurism.

He also seem
Al
SUMMARY:
Brian Layman
Mar 29, 2009 Brian Layman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
Well, Good Reads lost my first review of this book. I won't likely be as eloquent this time.

I was hoping that this book would kick the High Druid series into gear. However, I am left feeling that this series is likely targeted at a teen audience, as it is fairly predictable. Still, it is an OK adventure and worth reading if only for thoroughness.

There have been some negative comments with regard to this series containing "sex". If you want to know non-spoiler details, read on.

While indeed the fi
Dan Rheingans
Holy cow this book took me *FOREVER* to read. There were some interesting chapters, but wow, this couldn't hold my attention at all. I finished the book mostly thru will, but it still took me a crazy long time and my yearly reading has suffered because of it (I only read one book at a time). Overall, the series is a fine fantasy read...not Brooks' best work imo, but I'm praying with all my might the last book goes at a faster, more engaging pace.
Gere Lewis
Jul 07, 2015 Gere Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very typical middle book in a trilogy in that it leaves you feeling that all is lost. Pen and company still must find the magic tree. The Federation has a new weapon that could be a complete game changer. The rebel druids are still a threat to everything that is good. On top of all that, Grianne is still trapped within the Forbidding at the mercy of the Straken Lord. It is all very exciting with unexpected twists at every opportunity.
Roger
Nov 09, 2010 Roger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The middle volume of the trilogy had all the best of a good quest story in epic fantasy. We get our first glimpses into the mysterious Forbidding where the Ard Rhys, Grianne, has been banished by her power hungry fellow druids. Her nephew, Pen, continues his quest to find the "dark wand", a magical device to be obtained from a tree known as the Tanequil. The majority of the novel focuses on the quest to find the tree and the obtaining of the magical device that can defeat the renegade druids an ...more
Nick
Jun 08, 2016 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was debating whether to go 3 or 4 stars here, this carries the story on well but seems to be heavily padded out. A lot of the events are blatantly obvious too which is a bit annoying but its still an ok read.

Characters arent enhanced much, the plot is only moved on a little and there's now a lot to resolve in the final book. C'mon Terry I hope you can do it!
Todd
Apr 09, 2016 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series was somewhat disappointing after the last one - well told, and the story zips right along, but Brooks takes a step backward when it comes to falling back into some old, presumably comfortable patterns. One also begins to wonder why the Ohmsfords are so darn important, surely there are other people in the land of Shannara who are worthy of taking on the occasional quest?
Brian
Great Shannara sequel, terrible narrator

I will just start this off by saying that the narration is extremely bad. When you are used to Scott Brick reading with an English accent, the extreme change is very difficult to tolerate.
The book itself is typical Terry Brooks. If you like his style, then you will more than love this follow-up to Jarka Ruus.
Frank Waits
Jun 20, 2014 Frank Waits rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent chapter in the current arc, possibly the best single book in the Shannara series entirety. 'Elfstones', notwithstanding. Classic Brooks, with diverse arcs going on throughout the book, plenty of suspense at the right times, and of course a death or 3 as required by his stories that always involve sacrifices. A great addition to the current arc, and to the previous related arc (Jerle Shannara) as well. Starting the 3rd chapter immediately.
Caius Roth
Apr 03, 2011 Caius Roth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much of a rousing adventure as any Brooks book. The dialog seems more awkward at times, but I might just be noticing it more. Brooks has never been an author I've read expecting beautiful prose; I read him for a fun story. I didn't much care for the ending to this one. The build up to it was spot-on, but then the elements that made up the ending seemed to fall into place way too easily, to the point where it seemed wrong rather than natural. It was particularly bothersome because Brooks usual ...more
Shawna Coronado
Jun 17, 2016 Shawna Coronado rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book with lots of adventure, but not a stand alone -- definitely need to read the entire series in order to understand and follow the journey in the book.

The Ard Rhys did not have my sympathy in past books, but now Terry Brooks makes you see her vulnerability and therefore pulls you in to better understand who she is and why she is important in the Shannara world.

Keep reading -- next book is "Straken" -- I'm looking forward to it.
Jacob Withers
Sep 30, 2015 Jacob Withers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The continuing story of Penderrin Ohmsford in his quest to save the Ard Rhys from her awful fate inside the forbidding. The legendary Tanequil that will grant him access to the Forbidding must be reached. But more than that is required of young Pen. For the tree requires sacrifice. And it may be too high of a price to pay.
Carmine
I difetti già ravvisati nel volume precedente vengono riproposti anche qua (personaggi stereotipati, poca originalità del plot, cattivi che non sia perchè siano cattivi..), confermando di fatto l'esaurimento totale dell'ispirazione di Brooks, autore di culto di fine anni '80, inizi anni '90.
Anche stavolta elargisco tre stelle perchè l'autore, complice una certa capacità nel mestiere, riesce ad offrire il compitino bello fatto e confezionato.

Con occhio più lucido e critico, Brooks non è altro che
Elar
Mar 15, 2016 Elar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, abridged
Here I am little bit annoyed about shorter abridged version of audiobook as I could feel crucial details were left out. Otherwise it is nice that same characters stay on same storyline without big time gaps in the series.
Dave
Feb 03, 2011 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another well-written book; Brooks has again done a good job with the second in a trilogy, drawing smaller plots to a close and leading larger ones to a suitable point of transition between the books. The last few pages in particular were very difficult to read slowly; I really wanted to zip through them and find out how things would be left for the third book.

Although there are several roles that have been present in many of the Shannara books to this point, characters in those roles frequently
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • Legends II
  • Dragons of a Lost Star (Dragonlance: The War of Souls, #2)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • The Cleric Quintet Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #1-5)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • The Elder Gods (The Dreamers, #1)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...

High Druid of Shannara (3 books)
  • Jarka Ruus (High Druid of Shannara, #1)
  • Straken (High Druid of Shannara, #3)

“There were times, she knew from experience, when it was best just to continue on rather than to shift directions, even when it didn’t seem as if you were getting anywhere. Your chances of success weren’t always something you could measure accurately. Perseverance in the face of failure counted for something.” 0 likes