Start by marking “Three "Whys" of the Russian Revolution” as Want to Read:
Three "Whys" of the Russian Revolution

Three "Whys" of the Russian Revolution

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  10 reviews
America's foremost authority on Russian communism--the author of the definitive studies The Russian Revolution and Russia Under the Bolshevik Regime--now addresses the enigmas of that country's 70-year enthrallment with communism. Succinct, lucidly argued, and lively in its detail, this book offers a brilliant summation of the life's work of a master historian.
Published May 27th 1997 by Vintage (first published April 14th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Three "Whys" of the Russian Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three "Whys" of the Russian Revolution

Elliot Ratzman
The Bolsheviks took power, the Czar fell and--after Lenin dies--Stalin takes control. Inevitable? Only the most dogmatic determinist would say so, yet Pipes shadowboxes with unnamed ‘revisionist’ historians in these three short polemical lectures of 1995. Anti-Communist Pipes is the father of the anti-Muslim Daniel Pipes, which may explain such judgments as when describing Czarism’s top-down rule: “In this respect, Russian was very Oriental.” Hmm. Still, here are interesting arguments drawing on ...more
Jaclyn
A quick Sunday afternoon review of three major elements of the events leading up to the Bolshevik's power grab to Stalin's takeover from Lenin. Interesting for its anti-revisionist stance, Pipes finds only Stalin's rise to be inevitable among the topics considered: fall of tsarism, Bolshevik success in '17, and Stalin's succession of Lenin.
Molly
Succinct, yet surprisingly broadly-illuminating, I'm really glad I finally got around to reading this book that was assigned to me in a college course nearly 15 years ago....Probably would have gotten even more out of it then, when I was immersed in the study of the Soviet Union's formation. But better late than never!
Highjump
I am finally reading some books about Russia I've been hoarding forever (both fiction and non-fiction) for an epic Russian Winter of Reading. I thought about re-reading The Russian Revolution to refresh my memory of the historical context but that thing is a brick so I read this instead. It was so well done that it almost convinced me to actually re-read the brick!

Pipes is somewhat controversial but I agree with most of what he has to say. The Russian Revolution was driven and shaped by politic
Dan
A bit of an American slant, with their "what could possibly be wrong with our capitalist system" mentality coming through. But some good facts about the revolution that I didnt know. Dispels some of the popular myths about the way the revolution unfolded and paints Lenin in a not so nice light for a change.
Vincenzo Aversa
Poche pagine per smascherare alcune delle convinzioni piú comuni relative al mito del buon comunismo. A farne le spese sopratutto Lenin, spogliato senza pietà dell'idealismo e dell'amor per i popoli che comunemente lo allontano da figure ben piú discusse come quella di Stalin.
Andy
I wanted to get a feel for Pipes' writing before tackling the massive The Russian Revolution and this short introduction did the trick.
Cody
Jul 19, 2007 Cody rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: russia
You can tell that Pipes worked for Reagan, but this is still a very succinct critical summary of the revolution and the surrounding ideas.
sologdin
can't be said enough times: guy is worthless waste of space.
Michael Blaakman
Totally insane.
Scott Richards
Scott Richards marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Booksearcher
Booksearcher marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Alexander Larsson
Alexander Larsson marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Blair
Blair added it
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born in Poland, Richard Pipes emigrated to the United States in 1940, and became an American citizen in 1943, while serving in the Army Air Corps.

He was educated at Muskingum College and Cornell and Harvard Universities. He married Irene Eugenia Roth in 1946, and has two children.

Pipes taught at Harvard from 1950 until his retirement in 1996, and was director of Harvard's Russian Research Center f
More about Richard Pipes...
Communism: A History A Concise History of the Russian Revolution The Russian Revolution Russia Under the Old Regime Russia Under the Bolshevik Regime