Start by marking “Swimming Lessons” as Want to Read:
Swimming Lessons

Swimming Lessons (Beach House #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,744 ratings  ·  176 reviews
It’s been five years since the original turtle lady, old Miss Lovie Rutledge, passed away, but her legacy lives on with some special women, especially Toy and her daughter, young Little Lovie.

Toy Sooner kept her graveside vow to her beloved mentor. She left behind an abusive, dysfunctional lifestyle to become a strong single mother and aquarist at the South Carolina Aquari
Audio CD
Published March 27th 2007 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Swimming Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimming Lessons

Beth
Did you ever read a book that you got so involved with the characters you didn't want the book to end? You felt like you could be there with them. This is the sequel to Beach House which at the time I read Beach House didn't realize there was a sequel. This book brings closure to the characters in Beach House. It's about family, family, friendship, good times, and sad times. And as a bonus you learn about nature and the low country. I think what really draws you to her books is the peacefullness ...more
Christine
I love this book, it continued on with the stories of Toy, Little Lovie, Cara and Flo, the famous turtle savers, they all come full circle and show what true love and true friendship really is...
Diane
Swimming Lessons, by Mary Alice Monroe seemed to be the perfect audio book to ease into summer with. I generally love most books set on the shores of lovely South Carolina, and when I read that this one included a story about the cycle of life of the Loggerhead turtles of the Isle of Palms, it had a special meaning to me.

Several years ago while on vacation, we were fortunate enough to be able to see these magnificent creatures lay their eggs along the shore. It was fascinating even though the ar
Susan
Sequel to the beach house, continuing from one character's point of view. Immediately read this after the Beach House. Wonderful book, you really want to root for the main character's success, love interest and career as biologist. What a success story for a young female character who had an abusive boyfriend in book I and was estranged from her irresponsible parents. Loved this book and looking to read many more of Monroe's books. This is about the power of female friendships and the turns life ...more
Deb
I love a good romance, based at the beach in South Carolina. Total sucker for that combo and usually rate the book a three out of five stars. But this book was different because it had a lot of factual information about marine life in the area - particularly loggerhead turtles - and so that earned it a four star review for me! Great beach read!! On to the last in the trilogy....
Barbara
This was one of her best books....Probably because of the turtles. Miss Monroe has proven to do extensive research on all her books and although the outcome is somewhat predicable the knowledge learned about the underlining story is always worth the time spent. I had the opportunity to meet Miss Monroe and found her as enchanting as all of her books.
Jeannie Scheirman
This is the sequel of Beach House, so it was interesting to find out what has happened to the characters. Toy has certainly grown, and her "Turtle Life" was interesting. Loved the Isle of Palms setting! Hope there is another sequel so we can keep up with the Turtle Ladies and Toy's life.
Karen
I wasn't sure I would like this sequel to The Beach House, but once I got into it I really enjoyed learning Toy's story. It was very enjoyable to read how she went from a pregnant teenager to a responsible adult who is beginning a very good life for herself and her daughter.
Alice
I enjoyed this and The Beach House so much, I bought Turtle Summer for my seven-year-old granddaughter for Christmas. Her family vacations on Topsail Island, NC and alway go to the turtle rescue center while they are there.
Elle
This is a continuation of Mary Alice Monroe's story 'The Beach House'. I read 'Beach House Memories' and then 'Swimming Lessons' only because I wanted to read the prequel to 'The Beach House' before continuing on with the story. That said, if you haven't read the other two books, reading 'Swimming Lessons' could be read as a stand-alone book.

This book is the story of Toy Sooner. It is five years after she had her baby, Little Lovie. Toy has now finished college and works at the South Carolina Aq
Jackie
In this sequel to The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe, it has been five years since the passing of Miss Lovie Rutledge. Toy Sooner and her daughter, Little Lovie are living in Primrose Cottage on the beach where Miss Lovie fiercely cared for and tended to her Loggerhead Turtles. Every year, the turtle ladies, watched for the migration of the mama turtles coming ashore to nest and lay their
golf-ball sized eggs. Since Miss Lovie's death, Toy has gone on to college, graduated, and secured a life
Debbie
This is such a good series. I really enjoy beach books and this series has all generations covered, some young some a bit older and on up into grandparent age. The turtle facts have been great. I am now on the search for the next volume and I hope this series will continue.
Donna G
This was the sequel to The Beach House. I read this for book club and it did not seem to matter that I had not read The Beach House. I was easily able to figure out who the characters were and enough of their histories to figure the story out. It was a sweet story written about my favorite place in the world...the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Makes you want to become one of the famed Turtle Ladies who help the Loggerhead turtles with their nests. Although a little predictable at times it was a ...more
Tom Long
One of the things I love about Monroe is her sense of place. The coastal Carolinas have a unique, provincial charm and Monroe is the queen of communicating that. In the course of telling her story, Monroe delivers quite a bit of knowledge about the challenges of protecting the habitat of sea turtles both with regard to protecting the nests and anthropogenic ocean threats. The focus of the story is on the friendship of four women of different ages and places in the social strata. The main charact ...more
Mary
I am LOVING this story! However, this is the first audiobook that I have ever listened to, and I am not enjoying that experience very much! I am a fast reader, and the audiobook version is SO LONG! I feel like I could have read it several times already, and I am only on chapter 10. I think I will be reading the book when I finish listening, so I am enjoy it in full!
Georgiana
Another inspiring novel by Mary Alice! This is the sequel to "The Beach House". If you have never read a book by Mary Alice, start with "The Beach House" then read this one. I'm now starting the third book to the series called "Beach House Memories". These books bring great encouragement and hope. Thank you, Mary Alice!
Jill
It was a great read. As a continuation of The Beach House, it brought closure to beloved characters from the first book. I love how Mary Alice Munroe teaches you something about nature while she spins a tale of strong female characters who meet life's challenges with strength and courage.
Chelsy Abraham
My grandmother is an avid Mary Alice Monroe reader and happen to buy 2 of these by accident. This was my first and it was a beautiful and tear jerking story that makes you want to drink wine and sit on the porch of a beach house with your best girlfriends.
Selena
Loved, loved, loved this one. It was great reading about home! Even though I grew up in N. Charleston I could totally relate to all of the places and scenes. Really enjoyed learning about sea turtles. I think I have a new favorite author.
Heather
This book is a really great book. I did like The Beach House just a tiny bit better. This had a little more twists and turns though. I love Mary Alice Monroe's style. She makes you feel like you are there.
JoAnne
This is the second book in the Beach House series. Toy is living in a beach house owned by her friend Cara. Toy was very close to Cara's late mother. She even named her daughter after the older woman. Toy works at the aquarium and is part of the Turtle Ladies group. One night she finds a turtle floating near the beach, Toy and Cara carry her up to the house and care for her. The next day the turtle goes to the aquarium. Toy hopes that she will survive. This act changes her life. She gets an upgr ...more
Jean
This story is a follow-up to The Beach House; another Monroe book I enjoyed. This story is well written in that the journey of the turtle named Big Girl mirrors the journey of Toy Sooner the main character.
The story is fairly predictable, but interesting. I found myself wanting to know much more about Loggerhead Turtles and the differences between various kinds of sea turtles in the world; all of which are endangered. But back to the story. What I did not enjoy were the editing errors and the p
Julie
I enjoy reading Mary Alice Monroe's books because, although some what predictable, things work out the way they should in the end. Again, Swimming Lessons did not disappoint in that regard. But, I have one beef that I just couldn't wrap my head around...and if you haven't read the book, you may want to skip this review. Toy is a young single mother that we meet in the Beach House (which prompted me to immediately read Swimming Lessons). The father of her child, Darryl, leaves her the day she giv ...more
Airynn
This is the second book I read by Mary Alice Monroe. A few very minor characters in the first book I read show up in this one as well, so you get to find out their story. Also the author is great at keeping you interested in sealife which is a huge part of her books. I never thought that sea turtles could be so fascinating, but Monroe is great at educating the reader while still keeping them interested in the novel. Like Elin Hilderbrand and Nancy Thayer, Mary Alice Monroe's books are set on an ...more
Mairzi
It wasn't horrible but really just a step above the standard romance novel. I do have a problem with authors who attempt for authenticity by mentioning real places/events but then get the information wrong. Ethan supposedly studies at in Woods Hole but says it is in Maine not Massachusetts where it actually is located. Shouldn't someone (author, editor) have caught that error?
Dandy
This read is fun and fast. As a sequel to The Beach House we got to take another look into the world of the Turtle Ladies. The focus of the book was on Toy Sooner and a bit on Cara Rutledge. Although I found parts predictable, I still enjoyed reading them. I couldn't quite tell if we were going to get more story on Emmi or not and it felt a little like we started to and it fizzled out. I loved Toy's character and shared in the joy of her accomplishments.

My biggest complaint is the poor editing,
Laura Kaponer
This was my first time with this author and I thoroughly enjoyed every bit. She is now a must read for me. It was light, it was moving, and it was even educational. Apparently there is a book with the same characters that came before this and I need to get my hands on it.
Kathy
HMMM... What's with the character's names: Toy, Little Lovey, and Lenaya (not sure if this is spelled correctly since I listened on CD?) I had a hard time getting past these names while reading... The best thing about this book is that I learned some facts about sea turtles. The rest was a mediocre.
Lori Wentzel
Great story.

Loved the book and how Mary Alice Monroe brought the plight of the sea turtle alive while entertaining us with a story.
Ari
I enjoyed finding out what happened to the characters from The Beach House, but there were quite a few grammatical errors that were annoying.
  • Pawleys Island (Lowcountry Tales #5)
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Driftwood Summer
  • Moon Shell Beach
  • Ten Beach Road (Ten Beach Road, #1)
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • Beach Trip
New York Times bestselling author Mary Alice Monroe found her true calling in environmental fiction when she moved to coastal South Carolina. Already a successful author, she was captivated by the beauty and fragility of her new home. Her experiences living in the midst of a habitat that was quickly changing gave her a strong and important focus for her books.

Mary Alice Monroe writes richly textur
More about Mary Alice Monroe...

Beach House (3 books)
  • The Beach House
  • Beach House Memories
The Beach House Sweetgrass The Summer Girls (Lowcountry Summer #1) Time Is a River Beach House Memories