Start by marking “Quinn Checks In (Liam Quinn Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Quinn Checks In (Liam Quinn Mysteries #1)

Quinn Checks In (Liam Quinn Mysteries #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Warning: this novel contains strong language and violence.

Liam Quinn is back in his hometown Philly after three years in the pen for forgery. Now the ex-boxer, ex-art student has been given a chance to make amends by working as an insurance investigator, restoring a little of his family's pride and getting another chance at the woman of his dreams. But a gallery heist isn'
Kindle Edition, 1, 212 pages
Published April 4th 2012 by J.I. Loome

To ask other readers questions about Quinn Checks In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quinn Checks In

Traveller
Some of my fellow Goodreaders quake when they plan to post a one-star review. I'm a meanie, and tend to dish those out with ease, whereas the opposite end of the scale tends to make me more nervous.

I suppose that just shows what a mean old grouch I am, to be stingy with my stars. Today I'm going to break out of the meanie mold and award four stars to a piece of fiction that didn't make me ponder about the meaning of the universe, but which I did find pretty entertaining.

Right from the start, one
Nikki  Peterson
Main character Liam is from the typical immigrant neighborhood. He's of Irish decent and his mother expects her boys home every Sunday for family dinner. His father is a retired police officer, one brother is a priest, one a businessman, and one of course following in the old man's footsteps. Liam was expected to be the boxer of the family. Much to his father's chagrin he graduates with an Art Degree. He gets caught up in the wrong crowd and ends up using his talents forging paintings. He gets b ...more
Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe)
It’s not often that I would use movies as a reference but this book reminded me of a more PG version of Boondock Saints, except that it was set in Philadelphia, PA, instead of the Boston Area. The reason to why it reminds me of this movie is because of the fact that you’ve got a tight knit community. Where a bar or pub, whichever you prefer to call it, where your treated like family. And the good guy goes out to catch the bad guy that is messing with someone in his community, differences are tha ...more
Sheila
Reminiscent of Dennis LeHane’s Kenzie and Gennaro novels, L.H. Thomson’s first Liam Quinn mystery is smoothly written, convincingly voiced, fast-paced, gritty and fun. Ex-forger, ex-boxer, Quinn has betrayed his family’s well-policed heritage, but now he’s trying to make amends with a job investigating insurance frauds.

The novel’s set in Philadelphia and moves smoothly between evocatively different zones, from Irish pubs, to rich mansions and everywhere in between. Italian mobsters, scheming law
Wendy Hines
I had a really good time reading Quinn Checks In. It reminded me a lot of the old black and white investigator tv shows, like Perry Mason and Sam Spade. I might even stretch it to Columbo, but that's a stretch for Quinn. His father wanted him to be a boxer but instead he became an artist. One who uses his talent to forge priceless pieces of art.

After doing some time in the pen, he gets a job with his best friends insurance company as an investigator. He's the guy the makes sure that everything i
Dale
Had Me Hooked From The Start

From the opening lines of Quinn Checks In I was hooked. Literally, the opening sequence was so cleverly done that I knew I had see what else L.H. Thomson (new to me, but he has a good-sized list of titles) had to offer in this book.

Liam Quinn is an artist gone bad but then turned back to the good. He used to make money making copies of someone else's art and then selling it as the real thing. But, once he was caught and went to prison he straightened out and now wor
R.P. Dahlke
Quinn Checks in by L.H. Thomson

Mystery series featuring insurance investigator, Liam Quinn
Kindle $2.99
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Quinn-Checks-In...

Liam Quinn is a product of Philadelphia's aptly named, Fishtown; a rough, elderly neighborhood out of which he develops a talent for boxing and a love for art. He has a dad and a brother on the police force, and an unfortunate three-year prison tern for art forgery.
Now he's on the right side of the law with a nifty license to investigate insurance
Cherie
This was a really enjoyable, gritty mystery. Set in Philadelphia, Quinn has recently been released from prison where he was serving a term for art forgery. Now, working as an insurance investigator, he becomes involved in the mystery of a stolen painting.

I liked the main character, Quinn. He's a no-nonsense kind of guy who wants to stay on the straight and narrow but isn't afraid to get his hands a little dirty if he needs to. As an ex-boxer, he knows how to use his body to his advantage and gi
Diana Hockley
LH Thomson has hit the jackpot with his main character, Liam Quinn. A major aspect of this book which I greatly enjoyed was the feeling of energy which pulsated through the writing.

Liam Quinn is a likeable young man who has made a mistake and is intent on rehabilitating himself through his job as an investigator for an insurance company. In so doing, Liam has to run a fine line between the crooks in the town and doing his job, whether it upsets them or not.

What I particularly liked about this ch
Heather Boustead
Quinn Checks In
By L.H. Thomson

Liam Quinn is a former boxer, and a former art forger. After her spent time in prison he begins a new life as an insurance investigator, little by little earning the money to pay his debt to society equal to a quarter of a million dollars. His most recent case is an art theft taking him back into the world he once left behind to recover the stolen piece and save his firm a hefty sum and in return receive one for his self. Along the way he comes into contact with a m
Denis Vukosav
“Quinn Checks In” by L.H. Thomson is his first novel in Liam Quinn Mysteries that introduces readers to ex-convict, ex-boxer and ex-art student who received another life chance working as an insurance investigator.

Liam Quinn is a believable character, young man of Irish origins raised in ordinary family, who made a mistake, paid for it, and now wants to get back to the right life path. While doing his job, he has to find a thin line between criminals and police because no one of them really symp
Beverly
This is the second book I have read by L.H.Thomson. They were totally different, but I loved both of them. The author has a great writing style that keeps you quickly turning the pages to see what will happen next. "Quinn Checks In" is about an insurance investigator, Liam Quinn, who solves two cases at the same time. Throw in some fist fights, murders, family problems and a mom who wants him home every Sunday for dinner and you have a really great book. Oh, and I forgot about the girl he has lo ...more
Josh Karaczewski
You ever pick up a paperback at a library sale - one of those sales where you have a bag and you're just tossing in books so you get your $3 worth. And then when you begin reading them you realize why most of them were donated. But then there is one, with an unassuming cover, that turns out to be pretty good? That's "Quinn Checks In."

It doesn't do anything particularly new with the genre, and there is plenty that the book doesn't do that it could. But the plot moves along quickly, and the charac
Stanley McShane
Liam Quinn can be rather profane, as forewarned, and if that bothers you, you might wish to look elsewhere for your next read. Liam is from the proverbial "Fishtown" (Philly) Irish family where his scrappy brothers have either followed in their father's police footsteps or become a priest. He loves art--to the point of becoming an expert at forgery which results in a 3 year prison term. On the other side of the spectrum, he had became a boxer of some promise and used the ability to survive both ...more
Glinda Harrison
A well done, light, fun mystery. I enjoyed this one. The author has created an interesting, believable cast of characters that I am looking forward to learning more about in the other books in the series.
zachary basler
Who done it -art theft

this is a quick read. I actually did not know who did it until the author laid it out at the very end and I am pretty good at figuring these things out. I will read more by this author.
Linda Jacobs
Ex con insurance investigator solves the missing Vermeer mystery. Looks to be a good series. Kindle book had a number of typos.
Elizabeth Larson
While reading this book, I kept thinking 'poor man's Robert B. Parker.' Poor because the author obviously couldn't afford a proofreader (whomever when whoever is called for, extra words, wrong words, etc.). Liam, like Spenser, is a very likable guy with an intellectual bent who flirts with the wrong side of the law and, also like Spenser, boxes and loves a beautiful woman somewhat out of his league. Throw in some mob interaction and substitute Philly for Boston. I noticed another reviewer had th ...more
Judie
Former boxer and former art forger Liam Quinn worked as a freelance insurance investigator after getting out of prison for fronting an art gallery specializing in moving forgeries. His current job was finding a Vermeer with a $100,000 policy. The fact that the thief ignored several smaller valuable paintings made him think something wasn’t quite right about the theft.
During his investigation, he discovered that another painting had been disturbed, which disturbed him.
The story moved quickly
Doreen
Very Entertaining! Quinn is a fun character who gets the job done. This book keeps you reading right on through, you have to know what happens next. Added Bonus: NO STINKY SOCK PUPPET!!! ;0)
Justin Kean
Fun and a nice read

I like modern crime detective stories, but I'd gotten tired of the stereotypical American detective who usually shoots as many perps as he talks to. In a nice turn of chance I picked up this book and it was a really fun read. Since this is the first book in the series there is some good character introductions, and even though a bit stereotypical in some ways they were entertaining. The mystery enrolled fairly steadily without a ton of twists, but it was fun too. A good book t
Clewis53
fact check. convenience stores in Pennsylvania do not sell beer
Virginia Aikens
Hardboiled with a Heart

I enjoyed this Philadelphia story about an ex-con boxer and art forget who turns insurance investigator.The characterization was believable and I found that I cared a lot about Liam Quinn. usually hardboiled mysteries don't appeal to me, but this one was a great change from my usual readings. I will definitely be reading more by Thompson, as I'm curious to see what Quinn does next.
Beverly Mccollum
A very quick read. Typical of an old- fashioned detective novel. Liam Quinn - the protagonist- is an ex/ con, fighter from Philadelphia. Usual large Irish Catholic family. A good deal of violence. I'm still struggling with whether or not I'll continue the series. Worth a read. ( it's not every day you see violence paired with pieces of fine art!)
Jacqueline
Quinn Checks In was a Free Daily Kindle ebook, often you get what you've paid for, this is an exception which makes it a little gem.
Liam Quinn is an ex-con, an art forger and a used to be boxer who is working as an insurance investigator in Philadelphia.
Quite a good mystery with a likeable cast of characters. Apart from a bit of fisticuffs not much in the way of violence.
Frances Moran
I got this book fairly inexpensively from a kindle bargain website. Story line was OK, but I tracked at least 25 grammatical or spelling errors as I went through the book. Why don't editors edit any longer? I find these types of mistakes extremely distracting while reading a book. I will not likely read another book from this author.
cynthia zeiders
Oh such a reformed naughty boy..!

Just the kind Mom said stay away from. A reluctant hero and good tight plot combine to make a great experience.
Philly backdrops images on believable characters and the Columbo type end comes to quickly for this reader.
Just downloaded book 2.....
Jacqueline
You gotta Love A Good Man.

And that's who Liam Quinn is. When was the last time you've met a man who looked out for the underdog (yeah he had a job to do), did it and well. Hot out of prison and didn't lay with the first 'hot chick' that threw herself at him...A Good Man, I tell ya!
Michael Picco
Interesting story, but needs some serious editing

The plot was good and character development was well done. The use of local slang added a bit of spice to the story, however the typos and grammatical errors had me needing to re-read portions to be certain of what I had just read.
Quinn is an interesting protagonist with the art background, and criminal record. I enjoyed the story, but he seems to skate through all the tough stuff in the story with surprising little damage. It strained belief some, but was an enjoyable read non the less.
Pulp Fiction: A couple of things you might like... 1 13 Dec 20, 2013 09:12PM
Making Connections: #19 - L.H. Thomson - QUINN CHECKS IN (Oct 1-10th) 14 32 Oct 10, 2012 07:05PM
Pulp Fiction: Quinn Checks In 1 9 Apr 17, 2012 09:55AM
  • Last Call
  • Ice on the Grapevine (A Hunter Rayne highway mystery, #2)
  • Angel Dance (Danny Logan Mystery, #1)
  • The Celtic Dagger (A Fitzjohn Mystery, #1)
  • Nine Lives (Sam Archer, #1)
  • Wanted (A Leopold Blake Thriller #1)
  • Unforeseen
  • All Saints' Secrets (Saints Mystery Series)
  • Hollywood Assassin (Hollywood Alphabet Series Thriller, #1)
  • Fresh Doubt - The Complete Novel
  • Blackdown
  • Foreign Deceit (David Wolf #1)
  • Aleutian Grave
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red #2)
  • The Case of Tiffany's Epiphany (A Richard Sherlock Whodunit, #3)
  • In a Small Town
  • The Ajax Protocol (The Project, #7)
  • A Field of Red
I was a newspaper writer and editor for 23 years in Canada before turning to fiction.

I'm married to Lori McLeod, and we live in Edmonton, Canada with our six adopted pets.

Reach me on Twitter @lhthomsonbooks

Cheers,
LH
More about L.H. Thomson...
Buried in Benidorm (Max Castillo Mystery, #1) Quinn Gets His Kicks (Liam Quinn Mysteries #2) Quinn Goes West (Liam Quinn Mysteries) The Process Server Quinn & The Vanishing Bride (Liam Quinn Mysteries)

“there’s something to be said for getting out and meeting people. It breeds empathy and is good for the soul.” 1 likes